Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

differences, stiffness and hardness?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: differences, stiffness and hardness?
    Posted: 10/29/2011 at 7:56am
I don´t understand the difference in stiffness and hardness of a blade.

I thought is the same concept.

Sponsored Links

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 9:05am
A stiff blade don't have vibrations, usually multiple layers and/or carbon in a blade makes it stiff.

Hardness is more about the outer layers, which can be hard or soft. Like my blade, Dawei Wavestone, it's stiff but pretty soft.
The holy grail
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 9:11am
OK thanks! and the real game, what is the differences in the game with:

- a blade stiff and hard
- a blade stiff and soft
- blade elastic and hard

thanks!
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 10:15am
Feeling. It's a lot about personal preferences. I like the feedback of a soft blade, but I hate vibrations, so it must be stiff. Other people hate stiff blades and get their feedback from vibrations.

Might be that flexible blades are better at generating spin then stiff blades, but the way I see it, the most important thing is that you are comfortable with your blade and then it is all about what you prefer.
The holy grail
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 4:51pm
Hard vs. Soft:  Comes from outer ply. Some woods are harder than others and are rated using various scales one of which is the Janka scale.

Stiff vs. Flexy:  The ease with which a blade bends. This is a function of the number of plies, thickness of the blade, and the composition of the blade.
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

I don´t understand the difference in stiffness and hardness of a blade.

I thought is the same concept.

stiff is opposed to flexible. Stiff means the blade does not bend. In my experience, a flexible blade has more gears but is more difficult to use, because its throw depends on the power of your stroke. The harder you hit, the higher it throws. Also spin is greater in flexible blades, hardness being equal.

Hard is opposed to soft. Hard means the ball does not sink in the wood. Harder blades have more speed and less spin. Soft blades have more spin and less speed (other things being equal). Also throw is lower in hard blades, stiffness being equal.

Edited by seguso - 10/30/2011 at 3:32am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2011 at 8:21pm
Great post by Seguso there!, I'll add my own thoughts on how I feel about the difference.

Soft blades make more spin by holding the ball longer in the soft plys, flexible blades make extra spin by holding the ball when the blade flexes and potentially activating the rubber more on the rebound kick, you can have a combination of both although once you make a flexible blade soft then you tend to loose the strength of rebound (kick) which makes them loose their power. Sometimes you get the ball rebounding out of the wood itself like in the case of the very soft woods Hinoki and Balsa but that's another story.

Stiff blades shoot the ball in a straighter line so can be considered more accurate. Although IF you have the rubbers throw matched perfectly to your own strokes and the throw of the flexible blade they are easier to use as then you don't have to adjust your stroke for different distances from the table since the blades flex will take care of the adjustments. Then again if you get it wrong and you can give yourself a big headache.

Most of the time you will find that a good offensive stiff blades will be soft and good offensive flexible blades will be hard. Of course true allround and defensive blades can be both soft and flexible. Some blades play by their own rules like say an Acoustic which is both very soft and flexible and has zero vibration of any kind

Edited by bluebucket - 10/29/2011 at 8:34pm
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 2:50pm
An object that vibrates has a natural frequency and a damping factor. The higher the damping factor the faster the vibration will diminish.
The efficiency is related to the damping factor and the frequency of the blade. There have been links that indicated that blades vibrate a more that one frequency.

My 729 Bomb almost seems to ring like hitting a marimba key. The tone persists longer than other it does with other blades I have.

The Toxic 5 hard bat blade is very flexible and the most extreme example of a flexible blade I have. The ball reacts differently depending on where I hit the ball on the blade. If I want to block I try to hit the ball closer to the handle so the ball doesn't spin off the paddle as much. When I want to impart my own spin I hit the ball closer to the tip where the extra flex provides for more contact time and spin.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2011 at 11:05pm
pnachtwey that's what I look for in a blade that will perform well for me, that residual note. I have a couple of blades that will resonate strongly enough to make things on the hardwood table I'm holding them against vibrate, they seem to be the most efficient blades that can return the most energy back to the ball. And I think the reason the Acoustic doesn't perform like you expect it to is because it's somehow absorbing the energy from it's very high flex.

You're right the bomb is one of the better sounding blades and has a really nice note, the only thing with the bomb is that it's in the lower range of flex strength (you can hear and feel the lower note especially once it has rubbers on) and not really strong enough to kick in the range of a highly level player but it's perfect for a beginner or intermediate players stroke speed. 

I feel like an ideal blade would have a very high strength, high flex core with outer plies that don't bounce much and somehow don't interfere much with what the core/s is trying to do. I guess this would best be made with the grain on the top plies aligned 90 degrees to where they traditionally are
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 11:09pm
How about the Donic Exclusive AR+ and Donic Exclusive OFF ?

Which one is flexible, which one is harder ?

scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 5:07am
What are the kind of game (features) of these blades:

- stiff and Hard
- stiff and Soft
- Flex and Hard 
- flex and soft 
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 6:12am
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

What are the kind of game (features) of these blades:

- stiff and Hard
- stiff and Soft
- Flex and Hard 
- flex and soft 

Just my personal opinion:

- stiff and Hard
Fast, direct, short pip attacking styles.

- stiff and Soft
Controlled short game but plenty of high-end power. Should suit a lot of people. Would be better to differentiate between stiff, soft, and hollow vs stiff, soft and dense. The former being thick 5-plies ala Cornilleau Foco, the latter being 1 ply hinoki.

- Flex and Hard
Fast over the table play. Crisp blocks and flicks. But softens up away from the table and during smashes. OK for close-to-the-table attackers, but personally, I don't like these much.

- flex and soft
Defenders? Although most choppers I know prefer a slightly stiffer blade. Maybe long pip/anti blockers.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 6:54am
Medium and medium?
Good for nothing? :)
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

Medium and medium?
Good for nothing? :)

Your good ol 5-ply all-off blade. Jack of all trades, master of none. Would serve as a starting blade until you find certain aspects you enjoy more.

Note, for every aspect you gain, you loose on others. I still haven't found a "perfect" stiff, hard, and solid blade yet. A boat load of stiff, hard, and hollow blades to choose from though.

Edited by lasta - 03/21/2019 at 9:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic