Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - continued discussion: carbon vs ALL blade advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

continued discussion: carbon vs ALL blade advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: continued discussion: carbon vs ALL blade advice
    Posted: 11/03/2011 at 12:39pm
I'm transferring a portion of the discussion from an ongoing thread where a forum member is seeking advice for a new paddle.
You can see the whole thread here: http://www.mytt.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45411&PN=1&title=preassembled-racket-stiga-saiva-touch

The thread has expanded into an interesting discussion about the appropriateness of carbon blades

Now, in order to narrow the scope of the discussion, I'll copy and paste some of the pertinent posts (or portions of the posts) for where this thread has ended up (editing was only done to save space and I took care to not take any part of anyone's post out of context... but feel free to reference the original thread and correct me if you feel that isn't true):
------------------------
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

What's with the prejudice against premade rackets? An US1800 level looper's needs can be easily satisfied by a sub $20 DHS premade. I'd only recommend better rackets to people of that level because it's tough for a $20 premade to take you much higher than 1800 level so you'll want some potential for improvement.
===
Originally posted by chopchopslam chopchopslam wrote:

Quote An US1800 level looper's needs can be easily satisfied by a sub $20 DHS premade.

That's crazy talk. If an 1800 player is using a $20 premade he is seriously handicapping his game.
===
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

If its DHS they only put rubbers that haven't passed their QC level to be packaged normally. Other than that they are regular H3's and H2's and Skylines. Just lower quality.
So if USATT 1800 player likes playing with Chinese rubbers both wings (rather unlikely I do admit but still completely possible) a 20 USD premade will satisfy his/her needs
===
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Personally, I'd take a Dawei Genote R2 with 2008xp over any premade....
I've played with a $100+ Stiga premade and the ~$80 Mark V premade... but it's a $28 R2 w/ 2008xp hands down for me
===

Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

If its DHS they only put rubbers that haven't passed their QC level to be packaged normally. Other than that they are regular H3's and H2's and Skylines. Just lower quality.
So if USATT 1800 player likes playing with Chinese rubbers both wings (rather unlikely I do admit but still completely possible) a 20 USD premade will satisfy his/her needs
Anyone who is 1300-1799 has invested considerable time in learning the sport... why settle for rubbers that failed quality control? I mean at least spend $40 and get a Quattro Limba with Inspirit or better.
===
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

Anyone who is 1300-1799 has invested considerable time in learning the sport... why settle for rubbers that failed quality control? I mean at least spend $40 and get a Quattro Limba with Inspirit or better.
Because it makes no difference whatsoever for players between 1300-1799, provided it suits your style. Heck, if you start out with that setup then the racket itself will most likely determine your style. I started out with the with the DHS X4002 premade racket, and I elevated my level from sub 1000 to probably 13-1400ish in less than 4 months. I had no coaching and no training partner, just playing at school against some pretty low level players occasionally and a LOT of training against a glass wall.... Your skill level will be determined almost entirely by, well, your determination.
===
Originally posted by scor777 scor777 wrote:

Hi - Thanks for the all the thoughts but I still dont have answers or options to what i am looking for. What is best option for me (premade or assembled) for $50-70.
My playing style is offensive, flat and dont use much spin on the forehand. Backhand is defensive and need a racket to improve my blocks and maybe get better with top spin.
I have been playing for over 10yr now (on and off) and think its time to upgrade to a better fit racket (for my style). Please help me with some actual suggestions (names, rubber etc)... need to buy (order) something in the next 2-3 days.
 Thanks
===

Originally posted by scor777 scor777 wrote:

Hi - Thanks for the all the thoughts but I still dont have answers or options to what i am looking for...
A couple options:
(I then recommended a Dawei GTS with Quattro 1.8mm sponge or greater on the FH and regular Inspirit 1.8mm on the BH or Reflectoid 1.5mm.... or, Yasaka Extra with Cream MRS 2.2 on the FH and Cream MRS 1.5 on the BH)
===
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

I would never recommend you use a carbon blade of anything in the off speed class. If you WERE that crazy (emphasis mine) and needed to buy the whole thing from Cole (this was said b/c I had commented that the original poster may not be comfortable assembling components himself). The combo I would buy would be
Blade: Galaxy M-6. FH rubber Globe 999 1.8, BH rubber Dawei XP 2008 1.8
You'd be much better off with something 5 ply and ALLround to ALL+ for a blade
===

I would never recommend you use a carbon blade of anything in the off speed class. If you WERE that crazy and needed to buy the whole thing from Cole. The combo I would buy would be ...
that's pretty dramatic bluebucket. Must we all subscribe to the theory that if the setup is a little too fast then the player is doomed to never have the confidence to learn difficult strokes and will only seek to block everything? as BH-man pointed out, many players in Korea start out with a Schlager carbon (or did he say primorac carbon? one of the two) and advance quickly from beginner/intermediate to advanced with good coaching.
The GTS is a great blade and has plenty of feel and control for a carbon blade. Have you ever played with it?
Saying you'd never recommend a carbon blade in the off class is one thing, calling it CRAZY is just overboard in my opinion (emphasis original)
===

It's too hard to develop short game touch with a carbon blade, I haven't used that particular blade but have a few with the same construction. Nothings impossible and with a coach watching you can get away with some fast blades but you can have a much smoother and easier run to US2000 if you have the right stuff in the first place. All things being equal between two kids the one that starts with an hinoki carbon will never reach the same level as one that started with a 5 ply, it maybe close but he will always be 200 or so points behind and that's with serious coaching.
Without a coach it's much better to go slower even one step below the ideal is far better than one step over, with both blade speed and sponge thickness
===

It's too hard to develop short game touch with a carbon blade...
Ok I have a follow up question: What strokes/shots are you referring to when you say "short game touch".
===

Everything played in front of the end lines before the offence starts, the part of the game where the ball must stay very low and tight. The first person to fail there is the same person that receives the first offensive assault and also is the person that usually looses the point so it's very important. It's so much easier with a high control blade.

If I'm the one that can make the first attack I can play to so many different places on the table from that close over the table, once I've played the shot you can only return it in fewer directions etc. The first guy almost always has the advantage for the rest of the point.
Unless you have 100% total control of the blade at all times, then the blade is too fast. I can't stress that enough. Of course many players can have that kind of control with a fast blade but I'll bet none of them are buying their first proper blade.

We can probably talk about this more in another thread but for now I'll just have the opinion that carbon blades are not productive at this level or any level under US2400 (emphasis mine)

So, here we are at a new thread with a new topic title which will hopefully draw some good discussion on the opinions given above.

Please chime in with a thoughtful 2 cents (thoughtful as in, not the drive by "Timo Boll ALC is awesome!" and nothing more)

-the_theologian
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2011 at 2:47pm
I think I'll start with a rough history of the blades I've used and why I felt I needed to change them, I'll guestamate the level I was at with each change.

Started, ALL+ 7 ply Basswood blade. Rating beginner to-1500US, I used this for about 2 years, reason for change, it was already 10 years old when I got it and finally broke at the neck from old age.

Next blade was a thin -off 5 ply similar/same to Primorac -off I used this for 5 years solid, rating change with this blade approx 1500-1900. Reason for change, wanted a carbon blade.

Next blade was a 90gram 5+2 carbon off+ I started with this blade on around US1900 and used it for roughly 7 years, I actually went backwards in rating during this time but I was still able to play at 1900 level in tough matches by picking up the previous -off if the match was going bad (you could change blades back then) I kept hoping I would master the carbon blade at some stage but I just never seemed to be able to play better with it. Estimated rating change with this blade 1900-1800. Reason for change, lost the blade.

Next blade was a 95 gram off+ carbon, I used this for one year estimated rating change 1800-1900. Reason for change, I realised I just couldn't improve past this point with a heavy and fast carbon blade.

Next blade was a 75 gram off balsa, I used this for 10 years, rating change 1900-2100 ish. All that previous history until the last 2 years with this blade I had been playing a relatively small amount of table tennis. I started playing more seriously 2 years ago and realised this blade was far too fast. Reason for change - too fast

Next blade was a 95 gram ALL+ 5 ply, I've used this for 3 months est rating change 2100-2200 and gaining at a much faster rate than any other time in my life. I will go one blade slower than this soon, to a pure ALL, at this stage it looks like I'll peak somewhere between 2300 and 2400 in the coming few years before I get too old to play so offensively.

The common theme for me in all that is pretty obvious, the slower the blade the faster the gain

Edited by bluebucket - 11/03/2011 at 2:48pm
cdubdub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdubdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2011 at 3:33pm
Very interesting topic!! I used a carbo 7.6 wrb for my first two years of trying to get good at table tennis(~1000 usatt) I improved maybe around 200 points in two years and developed a blocking game with my backhand but never developed good forehand fundamentals. Around 2 or 3 months ago I realized it was way too fast, and now I have a 5 ply all wood blade with mark v and donic coppa. In that little time, I have developed much better forehand fundamentals and I don't have to only rely on blocking. I believe I have already improved to around 1300 usatt in that short time. I love the all wood feel!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2011 at 5:10pm

Next blade was a 95 gram ALL+ 5 ply, I've used this for 3 months est rating change 2100-2200 and gaining at a much faster rate than any other time in my life. I will go one blade slower than this soon, to a pure ALL, at this stage it looks like I'll peak somewhere between 2300 and 2400 in the coming few years before I get too old to play so offensively.

The common theme for me in all that is pretty obvious, the slower the blade the faster the gain

Are these ratings USATT estimates or Australian ratings? I have no idea really what Australian ratings are and how they are calculated, just academic interest there... Embarrassed
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2011 at 6:38pm
Only estimated US so it means something to the casual reader.

I should note I'm not playing in anyway the same as I did a few months ago, it's not like I picked up a slower blade and went woah dude.. I've improved instantly. I've had to learn a whole lot more about the game, hit thousands and thousands of balls and learn a lot of advanced shots I didn't hit before in that time.  But the blade has let me learn, where before I couldn't. 

I had the main strokes already with good quality, yet I was always concerned just about making the stroke so I hadn't the time to see where the other player was moving, where his arm was, think about where's the least likely spot he's going to get to the ball or how to unbalance him.

I have time to think about all that stuff and make a last moment change of direction now that I'm not worried about making the loop stick, I don't even need to think about hitting the ball or consciously look at it any more, I'm only looking forward down the table and deciding what I'm going to do with it and how much pace and spin will I put on it. It's been a quite large shift in the way my mind is working while playing.

've even got the time to tilt the blade and fade a backhand loop down the line with sidespin or make any changes like this instinctively mid stroke. I could never play those kind of shots with any kind of success rate with carbon blades Approve ,with those you just worry about making the shot and don't have time to really play the game :(.

I guess now that I "get it" I'll at some stage be able to play with a faster blade, I'm, not sure when and don't think it'll be within the next couple of years
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 1:06am
I'll say something similar to what Bluebucket said, only about my level and the type of stuff I was using. But I'll speak more to the average player as my level is only average and not near 2200. I currently hold a rating of 1635 usatt, and feel like I go 50/50 with guys between 1700 and 1800. Based on my performance during the time of acheiving this rating, and how I play the majority of the time, I'd say I'm slightly under rated, and 8 out of 10 times I beat someone who is under 1700 pretty comfortably, 1 out of 10 it's a battle, and 1 out of 10 I lose. This ranges a lot of different styles, and is based on tournament results more than the relaxing club environment.

I began with carbon despite being told it was a bad Idea. It was a slow one though- VSG-4000. It had no feeling for the ball, but i thought it was a good thing. I used it with srivers, and it was my first blade. from 0-1200 or so. All I knew were ugly shells of basic strokes and the art of concrete feet. I switched blades and had a huge change of Hurricane King with chinese rubber and max thickness japanese rubber on BH. Reason for change: Idolizing of chinese players and want for more SPEEEED. I THOUGHT I was 1500 or so at the time, but in hindsight i still probably never climbed over 1350ish. I played all out FH dominant offense (tried to)

the main pattern through my deveopment is that I thought I was better than i really was, until i really started playing lots of tournaments and getting humbled a bunch of times. I feel like the attitude of understanding how good i really was helped me get better faster. While I thought I was 1500, i never got that good. Then when I got near that good, I always thought I was 1600. It was a year later than that that I was consistently beating 1600 players, and finally realized I wasn't that good before.

After the Hurricane King, I started using a Clipper CR which was FAST being 99g. I also started speedgluing. Maybe got as good as 1500. I used short pips on my BH during this period. Reason for change here- I wanted more speed again, and again thought it was the cool blade to switch to. This blade took me to 1600. I never really talked about it, but I went back to trying a carbon blade. This was the first time my game actually fell. It was a cheap fast LKT carbon blade, and i used it for 3 months. I lost a lot more than usual and scrapped it. Switched to a Clipper WRB and started getting a fair bit better, getting an increased feel for the ball, and focusing on contact, watching the ball, and movement. I switched because my old clipper broke (since fixed). This one had more control, and I got into one of those rapid improvement phases. Maybe not overall, but I started focusing on more important things as I started to really understand the game more. My understanding improved a lot. I used each clipper for a year a piece. Now I'm into 5-ply blades, and feel that I'm getting the speed from my technique, and the control and flex of the blade is nothing but rewarding me. I don't feel like I'm winning less points because of the lack of speed, but I am winning more points due to extra spin, and more consistency. I'm getting the same pace because I'm hitting harder. But there is more spin on the ball, and I'm feeling the ball much better. Extra confidence in my equpiment really makes me play better, not the equipment itself. Even though I had confidence with clippers, the confidence in my shots now reminds me of when I played all out FH with the HK- I just don't feel like I can miss if I'm swinging hard. I'm seeing the ball better because I'm not worrying about each individual shot, I'm not even thinking about that all of a sudden. I'm actually focused and paying attention to what's going on with the ball because I'm not worried about my shot going on or coming down. That's automatic because the confidence is there.  I feel like it will only be a couple more months and I can raise my game a lot more, granted i can get continuous play from people better than me. My short term goal for the next 4 months is to break 1800. I feel like I can already play there, it's just a matter of making it consistent. There is a kid at my old club who out of nowhere over the summer got really good, and while I used to beat him 4-1 and 4-0 a lot before last summer, he now beats me a lot. another year or two and he'll be the best in the state. I've beaten him once since summer, and i've played him maybe 7 times. I also noticed (although not accrediting it to) the 5-ply he was using compared to the Schlager Carbon or countless other fast blades he used to use. I truly think that you should stick to those slow wood blades if you want to develop a good feel and technique before worrying about anything crazier.

speed is more important at the top level, because everyone reads spin and deals with it automatically. Spin and consistency is more important to me everywhere else, because it will beat out speed all the time. Until you get really good, then it cannot. That's why you start by getting that down first.  

Edited by beeray1 - 11/04/2011 at 1:12am
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 10:36am
In spite of all of my ALL / ALL+ / OFF- bias, I do think that OFF Carbon blades have their place.
(note that I did not say OFF+, as I think Carbon OFF+ are curiosities).

The players that seem to derive the most benefit (points won vs. unforced errors) from the larger sweetspot, decreased feel and increased speed to weight ratio of carbon blades seem to fall into two categories.

1) Casual Club Vet (US1500-1700 range)
This player has been playing for a decade if not more, only plays once a week and has decent but not super refined strokes. They mostly counterhit, block, smash and occasionally loop. The blade is a perfect fit because they already have good touch, enjoy the extra speed and sweetspot and don't have any formal aspirations for improving (i.e. no training plan).

2) Former cadet, returning to play (US1800-2000 range)
This player was very good when young, practiced and trained with coach. He or she loops from both wings and plays mid-distance. The game is more recreational than competitive to him or her. This player already has all of the fundamentals, is not disturbed by the lack of feel because they can read spin intuitively and don't need all-wood to tell their hand what is going on. Looping is not negatively impacted because they already have good footwork and timing.

3) Developing Junior with full time coaching and 20+ hours a week training (US??? too variable to judge)
This player is small and young, benefits from the increased speed of carbon and has a set of eyes on his game at all time helping him make small adjustments to technique.

These are the obvious folk who benefit from carbon's strengths; but I see many specialized players (mostly blockers and counterhitters US1200-1600) who choose it as well, and I can't help but wonder if the blade actually informs their style or compliments it.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 11:40am
wow, my hope that this thread would get some thoughtful insight is being richly fulfilled.

beeray1 and bluebucket, I really enjoyed reading the histories of your journeys (I will enjoying re-reading them too).

... I'm absorbing everything and thinking it over.

Hopefully more members will share their journey and perspective on this issue.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2011 at 12:49pm
Well, this discussion has provoked me to order a Yasaka Extra. I asked for it in 84-86 grams. I will dedicate some time to it.

Right now nearly every rubber I have lying around is in max sponge, but I might order some sheets of 2008xp in 1.8mm, or maybe CJ8000c on 1.8quattro sponge, or IQUL in 1.8mm.

I might also transfer my vega pro and europe to it (also have some used red diamond/black power, moon 38 deg, etc I could experiment with).

I may really have to grimace and bear with it if it feels very flexible... I have never cared for that feeling in a blade.

The stroke I'm working on most right now is the brush loop. The issue I'm working on most is footwork. So often when I put the ball into the net the instant replay in my head reveals that I was leaning forward and stretching out because I stayed in concrete. Similarly, so often when I send the loop/hit a little long I also realize I'm on my heels and leaning back.... a common inner thought I have in these two scenarios is "DUH" as I realize how I ruined the trajectory by not getting into place first. Okay, enough about footwork.

This Yasaka Extra has a tough challenge ahead of it when it comes to my favor/preference. I have been thrilled with the Z quad and the GTS was my favorite for a couple straight years prior to that. Plus, I haven't even tried the TBS I picked up from Shay yet.

The beauty of my current opportunity being deployed is that I'm always running into players who want to buy a custom bat (especially after they try one) so I don't have to fret much about having so many blades on hand at the moment. The PX here actually sells two paddles... a $7 Sportcraft and if you really want to be luxurious: a $10 Sportcraft Dead
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 9:22am
(84 gram Yasaka Extra received moments ago. IQUL hasn't arrived yet so I'll probably try my sheets of V Pro and V Europe on it. Also thinking about ordering a BBC All Around)

Here's a thought for the continuation of this discussion: Let's say a given player is currently USATT 1200. This person has no intention of gaining any income from the sport of Table Tennis, but simply wants to enjoy the game, practicing a few times a week, and achieve a higher rating. Now let's say that this player would reach 1800 in 5 years using an ALL blade. Let's suppose that this player would only reach 1700 using a Primorac Carbon. We might want to draw the conclusion that the player should obviously choose the ALL blade, right? But what if the player hates the feeling/feedback of that ALL blade, but loves the feeling/feedback of the Primorac Carbon. Since this player never intends to go Pro, and only wants to enjoy the sport and be competitive, is there anything wrong with sacrificing 100 rating pts if you enjoy the game much more?

Many of us have probably gathered at this forum because we're detail fanatics wanting the best results. But when a casual to semi-serious player asks for equipment advice, perhaps we might consider what he/she would enjoy playing with.

I hope to reach 1800 within the next few years. If you had calculations and personal experience which reasonably estimated that I would reach it sooner if I switched to a DEF blade and started chopping more, I'd say "thanks, but no thanks". Because I wouldn't enjoy the game.

Just food for thought.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 10:03am
Lock those carbons up where you can't touch them and use the Yasaka Extra exclusively for 3 months then get back to this thread :) you will have a whole new perspective on life and you will have learnt to appreciate the feel of the blade and you wont want to deal with the Carbons any more. You just need to have faith in this :). I think you overestimate how much slower you will play with the Extra, 3 months from now you will be hitting the ball with more pace than you ever did with the carbons
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 10:19am

Now let's say that this player would reach 1800 in 5 years using an ALL blade. Let's suppose that this player would only reach 1700 using a Primorac Carbon. We might want to draw the conclusion that the player should obviously choose the ALL blade, right? But what if the player hates the feeling/feedback of that ALL blade, but loves the feeling/feedback of the Primorac Carbon. Since this player never intends to go Pro, and only wants to enjoy the sport and be competitive, is there anything wrong with sacrificing 100 rating pts if you enjoy the game much more?

Yup. I know a US1500 player (close to table FH counterhitter, BH medium pips blocker) who won't part with his Primorac Carbon for exactly the reason you describe. He's put more than 10 years in with that blade and is uncomfortable playing with anything much slower. In that time his strokes got progressively smaller down to just a weight transfer and a wrist flick (to keep the ball on the table) and the range of players he wins and loses to (US1200-US1700) stayed about the same. The loss of speed glue hurt his game pretty badly, as he no longer has the softness and extra spin to tame that paddle.

But he loves the blade because against higher rated players, he is able to attack their loops off the block with minimal motion and maximum effect. He does his best against controlled topspin attackers. The blade hurts him against people who play a flatter game with less spin because he is forced to create the topspin, and as I mentioned, his spin production is mostly wrist (and therefore inconsistent).

A blade should fit your style, your goals and your tactics.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 10:19am
This thread is deterring me from trying a carbon blade for the first time and just ordering another Extra to use as a secondary setup. 
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 10:56am

Lock those carbons up where you can't touch them and use the Yasaka Extra exclusively for 3 months then get back to this thread :) you will have a whole new perspective on life and you will have learnt to appreciate the feel of the blade and you wont want to deal with the Carbons any more. You just need to have faith in this :). I think you overestimate how much slower you will play with the Extra, 3 months from now you will be hitting the ball with more pace than you ever did with the carbons
(emphasis mine)

goodness bluebucket, are you purporting a spiritual experience here? Wink
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2011 at 12:37am

(84 gram Yasaka Extra received moments ago. IQUL hasn't arrived yet so I'll probably try my sheets of V Pro and V Europe on it. Also thinking about ordering a BBC All Around)

Here's a thought for the continuation of this discussion: Let's say a given player is currently USATT 1200. This person has no intention of gaining any income from the sport of Table Tennis, but simply wants to enjoy the game, practicing a few times a week, and achieve a higher rating. Now let's say that this player would reach 1800 in 5 years using an ALL blade. Let's suppose that this player would only reach 1700 using a Primorac Carbon. We might want to draw the conclusion that the player should obviously choose the ALL blade, right? But what if the player hates the feeling/feedback of that ALL blade, but loves the feeling/feedback of the Primorac Carbon. Since this player never intends to go Pro, and only wants to enjoy the sport and be competitive, is there anything wrong with sacrificing 100 rating pts if you enjoy the game much more?

Many of us have probably gathered at this forum because we're detail fanatics wanting the best results. But when a casual to semi-serious player asks for equipment advice, perhaps we might consider what he/she would enjoy playing with.

I hope to reach 1800 within the next few years. If you had calculations and personal experience which reasonably estimated that I would reach it sooner if I switched to a DEF blade and started chopping more, I'd say "thanks, but no thanks". Because I wouldn't enjoy the game.

Just food for thought.

Nathan, if any player is in it purely for fun, hitting with a Grubba DEF and superglued 729 is fine and fine. It just doesn't matter.

As for the ones who emphatically state one needs ALL class speed in racket and classic rubbers, I got notthing against that arguement, especially if it comes from respected coaches who know the game and have been around it all their life.

I can tell you this. (Yes Nathan, YOU qualify to be in this group (who could train using ANYTHING and shoot up in level) for positive reasons of course) Coaches here in even the average Korean clubs are 90% former elite players or damed close. They know their stuff and do not give a crap whether the blade is rated speed OFF+ or ALL. They teach and drill fundementals and concepts to get the player's basics solid. Players build good strokes and learn to do it with whatever they got. Most players take 3 lessons a week. After 1 or 1-1/2 years of these lessons, a good chunk of them have already cracked 1700 or 1800 USATT playing level. That includes those using Schlager carbon, Primorac carbon, TBS, Amulart, Xiom ALL blades and you name it. Many coaches do not strongly encourage the players to finalize their blade selection until they get solid basics and have discovered their preferred playing style. Coaches more and more are recommending to just go to shakehand, but they teach C-Pen RPB and J-Pen as well.

Anyone want to argue that a defensive player has no business instructing and training an OFFENSIVE style player? Soemone can try to take a shot at my coach, who was a modern defender on a pro team. SHE, yes a woman, she has gotten me to get a LOT faster laterally, make more positive strokes, move better, become more CONSISTANT, make combinations, and RALLY. All of which were prolly entirely missing from my game 2 yrs ago before I got here. This coach simply knows how to coach and train ANYONE who is willing to listen and put in the reps.

These players who get coached after a year or more do not hit long because their blade is OFF+, they do it because they did not close the blade enough on the block, misread the spin, or swung to much upwards. The same level players (Div 4) make pretty much the same stuff wrong and it is not the equipment at that stage.

I see the importance of learning to hit through the ball, make a proper crouch, footwork, recover, etc. Coach gets everyone to understand that. maybe the arguement against using faster blades applies more to ones who NEVER will get any coaching. Maybe what most say about developing too short strokesto their detriment and lack of development applies to that crowd. I can buy that.

The wife of our top player started out a couple years ago at maybe USATT 400 level. After 1.5 years of training with Schlager Carbon equipped with Yasaka Extend HS, she is now settled in on a BTY Amulart with Extend HS and Extend Short Pips on BH. She is prolly now 1500-1600 USATT and rising fast. Once she gets more reps and reads spin better, she will approach 2000 easily. That is not an unusual story here, but the majority of course do not develop this fast.

However, a LOT of that crowd who doesn't get coaching (like 80-90%) of that crowd will play TT for years and never crack 1600 USATT, many never get to 1500 USATT. I used to be in that crowd. (Anyone who wants to quote my official (over 2 yrs old BEFORE 18 months of lessons here) 1600s rating will be in for a surprise)

To be fair, over 1/2 the crowd who gets lessons don't really make it div 3 Seoul (City, NOT National) level (1900-2200 USATT), although a number excell and make it to a high level later.

From the blades I see at club play and tourneys, (EXCLUDING the DIEHARD Hinoki 1 ply J-Pen Crowd) I would say 80% or more use carbon or composite blades.

That is not a knock on them or their coach.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2011 at 12:53am
OH, forgot to include that whenever I have tested slower NEXY blades (slower than my favored TBS), used those slower blades for a few months, then gone back to TBS... Whenever I do that, my game seems to improve and maintain that level.

Also, Using Spartacus, which is a notch slower in speed compared to TBS, AND by coincidence has a layer of carbon on each side, I am playing my best TT ever. Maybe by coincidence, I have lost 8 Big-Macs from my waistline. That can make anyone faster and better. Still, a good stroke from the Lissom/Spartacus carries a lot of "Kick" that is destructive.

I can use my own personal examples of "going with slower blades is better" to support the current arguements, but I really feel that for most players learning the game under USATT 1700-1800 level, it is MUCH more important to learn solid strokes/movement/footwork/connecting shots. The equipment used at that stage is in my crappy opinion is not as much a factor as the learning of solid fundamentals is.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2011 at 8:23am
With proper coaching, any blade/rubber combination will help you develop your game. Off course, a proper coach would also advice you on using a suitable blade.

The risk with using a carbon blade (or any blade that is to fast) is that you will learn to play reactive instead of active. Meaning, you might develop good skills at getting the ball back, but you will have a hard time controlling the game, as you simply won't be able to control your set up when you attack. I know this, as this is pretty much what I did

To determine if a blade is too fast for you is actually pretty easy, if you get the chance to attack, or are in a rally, and you have to hold back on the power, then the blade is too fast for you. You should always be able to attack with full power (even though you might chose not to) and feel fairly comfortable that your shot will land.

As for the pre-made discussion, I would be utterly surprised if a pre-made was a good pick for any one who is serious about the game, regardless of their level. Once they grow out of the pre-made and needs a real blade, they will have to re-learn everything again, as pre-mades are very different to custoum build bats. Not saying you can't reach 1800 with a pre-made, but I'm pretty sure that if one player reaches 1800 with a pre-made, and another player reaches it with a custoum made bat, the one with the custoum made bat will have a much easier time to continue to climb the ratings. So, why start with something that you know will limit you in the end? Besides, you can get pretty good custoum made bats for the same price as a decent pre-made. Actually, I can get it a lot cheaper, a good custoum made bat (Tulpe allround blade, tulpe 007 rubbers) costs less then half of what a "good" pre-made costs, and plays a heck of a lot better.
The holy grail
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2011 at 7:00am
well said Speedplay, all of it

an update from my end: I'm mailing the YE back today because it was oddly asymmetric (5mm wider on one side)...ConfusedCry

however, I ordered a BBC All Around yesterday; 84 grams, flared, Attack II shape.... really looking forward to it. At this point I'm planning on putting 1.8 IQUL sv on it (both sides)... wondering how different this will feel from from Xiom setup.

... also tempted by the OSP Expert and the TG3neo/SharkII bits of advice.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2011 at 7:06am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I can tell you this. (Yes Nathan, YOU qualify to be in this group (who could train using ANYTHING and shoot up in level) for positive reasons of course)
Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully from the last deployment till now I've somewhat learned to harness my athleticism and not move so wildly about. I think I'm slowly learning when to conserve energy and when to explode. I used to always look for the ball I could smash regardless if I would have to be taken way out of position in my reckless follow through. Now I trade some of that for a topspin loop than leaves me planted if the ball comes back.

Sure hope one of these days will be in the same AO so we can have a hit! Hopefully I'll have the GTS with me for memory's sake. It's on my very short list of "can't let go of blades"... especially since the handle is so rare.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2011 at 2:32pm

ordered a BBC All Around yesterday; 84 grams, flared, Attack II shape.... really looking forward to it. At this point I'm planning on putting 1.8 IQUL sv on it (both sides)... wondering how different this will feel from from Xiom setup.

Please do report about how it plays, after you tested it. Charlie makes some very high quality blades. I have a fiddler with thin core waiting to be tested...
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2011 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

ordered a BBC All Around yesterday; 84 grams, flared, Attack II shape.... really looking forward to it. At this point I'm planning on putting 1.8 IQUL sv on it (both sides)... wondering how different this will feel from from Xiom setup.

Please do report about how it plays, after you tested it. Charlie makes some very high quality blades. I have a fiddler with thin core waiting to be tested...

Yes I'll definitely write something up here. It will be the first blade I've tried from Charlie.

As a sidebar: right now I don't have my Xiom setup put together so I grabbed my Galaxy N-7 w/ Merc II 33 deg 2.2mm and went to play for a couple hours.... Confused. Wow, I can't believe I used to think that it had decent feel. Felt ultra head heavy (I think the N-7 is 89 grams) and like I was bouncing a balloon against the ball. I think I would've taken 10 bucks for it if someone offered. This experience furthered my desire to give thinner sponge a chance.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2012 at 3:12pm
I wanted to resurrect this thread because I think the content is rich and there's more to be said.

I just read through it again and absorbed things I didn't before.

Since the time I started this discussion, I've stepped down from Zetro Quad (OFF+) and Vegas (Max sponge) to Xiom V1 (OFF) and TG3neo/Shark II. The overall speed of my setup has gone down (some), and my confidence in my forehand loop has gone up.

I tested three different BBC All Arounds and enjoyed all of them but none quite had the fit I wanted. I was astounded at the quality of craftmanship that can be had for $35 (search for my threads on those if you don't believe). Not finding the ergonomics and balance I preferred, I passed them on to three different players who were very pleased! (I do miss them... they were beautiful Cry)

I'm still very much tempted to get a quality ALL+ blade; and might end up ordering an OSP Expert after all. I'm also very drawn to other BBC blades (Fiddler, 9-10-9, Cypress 3 ply).

So let's see what others have to say in this matter...
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 1:41am
Playing with Donic Protec All+ with 2008 XP 1.5 and 729 FX 1.8 is like abiding in perpetual anuttara-samyak sambodhi or in the eternal bliss of nirupadhisesa nirvana.

Amen!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 3:21am
Imago show me this protec blade you spec of
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 3:44am

I wanted to resurrect this thread because I think the content is rich and there's more to be said.

Since the time I started this discussion, I've stepped down from Zetro Quad (OFF+) and Vegas (Max sponge) to Xiom V1 (OFF) and TG3neo/Shark II. The overall speed of my setup has gone down (some), and my confidence in my forehand loop has gone up.

I tested three different BBC All Arounds and enjoyed all of them but none quite had the fit I wanted. I was astounded at the quality of craftmanship that can be had for $35 (search for my threads on those if you don't believe). Not finding the ergonomics and balance I preferred, I passed them on to three different players who were very pleased! (I do miss them... they were beautiful Cry)

I'm still very much tempted to get a quality ALL+ blade; and might end up ordering an OSP Expert after all. I'm also very drawn to other BBC blades (Fiddler, 9-10-9, Cypress 3 ply).

may i ask what happened to your FH loop with V1? do you not like your current set up? 
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 4:55am

Next blade was a 95 gram ALL+ 5 ply, ... I will go one blade slower than this soon, to a pure ALL,

could you tell us what these two blades are; how flexible and how hard they are; and what are your current rubbers? (because the overall blade speed depends on them)

Edited by seguso - 02/11/2012 at 4:56am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 5:37am
First blade is the Expert, the one I might change to is a custom made blade. My current rubbers are TG3 2.15mm and Acuda S2 2.0mm. Both the Expert and the custom blade are very similar, both 5.3mm, same head shape, the custom is slightly lighter around 90grams, same balance, just the plys themselves are a little bit difference thicknesses. Both blades are hard feel and high flex
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 5:43am
Carbon is better for speed and flat hitting, that is pretty simple the way I see it.  If you have quick reflexes that is all you need if you have the skills to be in the right place at the right time with your feet too.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 6:44am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

may i ask what happened to your FH loop with V1? do you not like your current set up? 
first question answered: I became more confident to swing 100% through a loop, without so much fear that I would send the ball long (I didn't have this confidence with ZQuad/VegaPro). but, 100% is a bit of an exaggeration as time goes on...

which brings me to answering the second question: I do like my current set up very well, and in the past month have played a few of the best games of my life. but, I'm recognizing that a further decrease in speed could add even more confidence to put 100% into certain strokes. and as I read bluebucket's commentary on no longer having to focus so much on making the shot, and having the time and confidence to quickly anazlyze the best choice for placement, I'm realizing that I could benefit in the same way. I have much more confidence with V1/TG3/Sharksoft than ZQuad/Vegas, but so much of my mental energy is spent worrying about the stroke, that I give little thought to placement and opponent position.

Edited by the_theologian - 02/11/2012 at 6:45am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 7:29am

but so much of my mental energy is spent worrying about the stroke, that I give little thought to placement and opponent position.

better said: "so much of my mental energy is spent concentrating on the stroke..."

Edited by the_theologian - 02/11/2012 at 7:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic