FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Calix Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 1:55am
Visited Nexy office last week and look at the calix. Very well made and its a beauty. The blade is very thin. Since Mr Moon had a ready setup, I decided to take it for a quick spin... The blade was setup with Tihbar 1Q and Aurus Soft. Very nice feel with the FH and BH hit..... The initial trial is so comfy that ended up I got myself 2 calix. 

My initial test this evening... the blade was setup with Mercury 2 FH and Thor BH, since they were lying around for a while..

Short and Long Push is good, and spinny. FH loop is loaded with power, the bat flex when you hit hard, thus projecting more power. Very nice combo, will definitely stick to this combo for quite a while...

IMO, the blade should goes well with soft or medium soft rubbers... Never regret getting 2 lol...
I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...
Sponsored Links

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 3:45am
Ok, time to start my review of Calix. I will edit and update this post, so I suppose a link to it should appear in the first post.

Let's start with appearance. As I said, I was impressed by the build quality of Calix. I think it's hard for a relatively new manufacturer to justify a $150 price tag, but Calix is astonishly smooth and well build. The handle is silk smooth and there is a chamfer on the wings that takes away the sharpness of the edges. The layers have consistent thickness, they are cleanly cut at the sides, and the core is one piece. The overall quality matches those of high-end Nittaku and Butterfly blades, so I feel the price tag could be appropriate, although the Nexy brand name has less appeal than other well-known and advertised brands.

In my review, I will be comparing Calix to Lissom, which has been my main blade in the last 9 months or so. Compared to Lissom, which is already very well-finished, the construction quality of Calix is one notch higher, due to the smooth handle and chamfered wings.

I don't want to spend too much time in decribing the appearance, but there's one more aspect that makes an important difference: the handle cross section. I like straight handles, and I've always been very picky on handle cross sections. The most comfortable straight handle I played with was Butterfly M. Maze OFF: it's a squarish rectangle with rounded corners. This handle shape is also known as square straight handle, or SQST for short. Unfortunately, M. Maze was too fast and stiff for me (more on that later). Compared to M. Maze, Lissom has a wider and lower SQST handle, i.e. more rectangular and less square. The cross section of the Calix handle is unique, at least with respect to the other SQST handles I have played with, because the rounding radius is quite large and off-centered, so that the side surfaces of the handle are more rounded than the top and bottom surfaces, which are mostly flat. In other words, the top and bottom parts of the handle cross section have large and flat surfaces, which have a noticeably sharp edges leading to the rounded corners. My English may not be good enough and it's difficult to describe, so I'm posting a picture.

You may wonder what is the reason for all this fuss about the handle shape. Well, for me the handle is fundamental, at it determines how the blade feels in hand. The effect of those wide flat surfaces and sharp edges is that, by only holding the blade and having your fingertips resting on the wide surface and feeling the sharp edge, you instantly and perfectly know what angle you are holding the blade. Moreover, the smooth finish of the handle even increases this effect, as you cannot feel the texture of wood. Holding Calix is not natural to the point you forget about the handle, as in Lissom: holding Calix feels like you are holding a precision instrument, sharp and lethal, and your fingers constantly give you feedback as to what angle you are holding the blade. I dare to call this feeling "robotic". I like this very much and wonder why this shape is not more widely adopted.
Edit: actually, after many more sessions with Calix, I can confirm that it keeps feeling like holding a precision instrument, but I've started disliking this feeling, as it never completely feels natural in my hand. In other words, feeling these sharp edges constantly remind me that I'm holding an artefact, and the blade never becomes a natural extension of my arm. I've now bought a FL Calix, the handle of which has a smoother cross section, and I like better how it feels in my hand.

Edit: added part II.

I have trained with Calix a few times now and had a comparison training session with my Lissom (ST, 83g). Both blades had the same rubbers: XIOM Vega Pro 2.0 on FH and Nittaku Hi Super Drive 1.9 on BH. BTW, my Calix weighs 84g on my scale and 85g on nexy.com's.

I will throw into the comparison a few more blades that I have previously played with (with the same rubbers as above): Nittaku Acoustic (1st generation, black nailed metal tag, ST, 85g), Nittaku Violin (2st generation, black nailed metal tag, ST, 87g). However I only have compared Calix with Lissom directly, so the comparison with the Nittaku blades may not be totally accurate.

Some more data about Calix:
Construction: 7 ply: 5 wood + 2 carbon. Outer ply: mahagoni; core: kiri. Burned walnut - ayous - carbon - kiri - carbon - ayous - burned walnut.
On my Calix, resonance frequency at the ball bounce test is 1310 Hz, which is higher than Lissom (1180Hz) and about in the same range as Nexy Color, OSP Virtuoso, and Nittaku Acoustic and Tenor, which is pretty interesting for me. I expect the blade to be a bit stiffer than Lissom in the short game (at low speed) but considerably less stiff than the other carbon blades I played with, which all were in the 1550-1650Hz range.
PS: If you wonder how I measured the frequency, it's actually very easy: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38419

Balance: Calix feels slightly more head-balanced than Lissom, but then the rubbers on Calix are cut quite generously and Lissom is rather handle-balanced, so I'd say the balance of Calix is neutral. This is mainly due to the thinness of the blade. As a further comparison, Nittaku Acoustic feels a bit more head-balanced than Calix, without being overly head-heavy, though. Sequence: handle-balanced | Violin | Lissom | Calix | Acoustic | head-balanced

Vibrations: Although as I will explain, the playing characteristics of Calix are not the same as other carbon blades I had played with (Yinhe/Galaxy T-7, Yinhe/Galaxy K-3, Butterfly M. Maze OFF), the vibrations transmitted by Calix to the hand are typically influenced by the presence of the carbon layer: each hit has a strong, sharp onset which is quickly dampened and disappears. So you feel each hit very distinctly, especially at higher speeds, but only for a short moment. In comparison, the vibrations of Lissom have a duller onset but last much longer.
Vibration max intensity: Acoustic < Lissom < Violin < Calix
Vibration duration: Calix < Acoustic < Violin < Lissom

Speed: Calix flexes considerably, meaning that at high speeds there is a noticeable kick (catapult effect). Moreover, the carbon layers are close to the core layer, akin to the Butterfly Innerforce series, rather than under the surface layer, as in the other carbon blades I tested. This means that at slow speed and angled impact (brush loop, push, chop) the blade behaves like a wood only blade, while at higher speeds it behaves like a carbon blade with quite some flex. Calix also has considerable damping power for a carbon blade, making it easy to land some lethal drop shots.
If you are used to linear blades, think of thick and stiff blades, this may require some adjustment and you may not like it. On the other hand, the positive side is that it allows to vary the pace of the game at your liking, depending on how hard you decide to hit the ball. This means that you need to block actively if you want to make fast blocks and that you have to be careful about how hard you hit.
At low speed impact (slowest speed): Violin = Lissom < Calix < Acoustic
At high speed impact (max speed): Violin < Lissom < Acoustic < Calix

Part III will be about different types of shots.

Edited by arg0 - 05/16/2012 at 5:45pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 10:43am
Antiq, it is cool that you were also able to walk right up to Nexy HQ and do your thing. He always has test modles lying around to try out in his test room. I really liked Aurus on Nexy's blades, also Genius. You were just passing through, or can I get a hit with you sometime?

arg0, thanks for your first installment of your detailed review.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 11:27am
arg0 I would agree with you the handle on the Calix is just so correct in feeling and your description of precision instrument is quite correct. But more importantly you are not aware of the blade while playing as the blade becomes more of an extension of your arm. I would say a lot of thought went into this design of both the Spartacus and Calix handles.

I would like to see a comparison of both Spartacus and Calix from other testers even though both blades are quite different in their playing characteristics. I am aiming to do a comparison before the end of this month.

arg0 I look forward to the rest of your review.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2011 at 10:42am
Just get a chance to play with Calix again.

Weird but true - I feel like when I was in good position and did a full chop the ball was heavy but when not really in good position and just snap my wrist to chop it it's very heavy.
As a defensive blade : Lissom is more stable maybe because of lack of bending and kicking but it's more fun playing with Calix. With the bending and kicking, I feel like I'm a magician controlling spin on the ball 

www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
fourcourts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourcourts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2011 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

Visited Nexy office last week and look at the calix. Very well made and its a beauty. The blade is very thin. Since Mr Moon had a ready setup, I decided to take it for a quick spin... The blade was setup with Tihbar 1Q and Aurus Soft. Very nice feel with the FH and BH hit..... The initial trial is so comfy that ended up I got myself 2 calix.

My initial test this evening... the blade was setup with Mercury 2 FH and Thor BH, since they were lying around for a while..

Short and Long Push is good, and spinny. FH loop is loaded with power, the bat flex when you hit hard, thus projecting more power. Very nice combo, will definitely stick to this combo for quite a while...

IMO, the blade should goes well with soft or medium soft rubbers... Never regret getting 2 lol...

Hello, Antiq. Greetings from Washington, DC! I had to leave Singapore early. But thanks for being my ping pong guide during my visit. Videos coming soon

I did get to try Antiq's Nexy Calix so I'll share a few insights. But I flipped it around instead and used the black Palio Thor's on the FH and red Mercury 2 on the BH. I played about seven games with it.

Likes: good power on the FH. Fast but with some dwell. If I were to compare it to another blade, it would be a Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon. Fast but with some absorption. I really liked it on the BH. I like to transition from block to quick counterhit or counterloop and if the blade is too fast, the ball flies out. I did not have that problem with the Calix/Mercury 2 combo. Overall, I see this combo as a topspin machine with plenty of power when and if you decide to finish the point.

Dislikes: The price tag. I also did not have enough time to really test the short game. It felt fine on FH serves and short service returns. I wish I had some time to do an in-depth test of pushes and flips. Antiq did have some heavy BH pushes with the Thor's. I also did not have time to really test its BH looping capabilities.
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 12:14am
You're welcome.... good to know that you have reach home safe and sound... Cheers!
I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 9:25am
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Just get a chance to play with Calix again.

Weird but true - I feel like when I was in good position and did a full chop the ball was heavy but when not really in good position and just snap my wrist to chop it it's very heavy.
As a defensive blade : Lissom is more stable maybe because of lack of bending and kicking but it's more fun playing with Calix. With the bending and kicking, I feel like I'm a magician controlling spin on the ball 

NO ONE should be on the other end of Bogeyhunter when he is feeling it, yet, if I run into him ever again, I will make him feel a few things this time turning the tables around on both serve and rallies.

Bogeyhunter tries out his share of equipment, but doesn't really change his mainstay stuff for matches. If he likes this to the degree he described, then it really caught his attention.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 2:04am
I've updated part II of my review:http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45867&PID=576685&title=official-calix-review-thread#576685

Edit: fixed link that contained highlights.

Edited by arg0 - 12/22/2011 at 2:06am
Join the Nexy Clan!
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 7:01am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V W X Y Z

C+A+L+I+X = 3+1+3+9+6=22
22nd letter in the alphabet is V, which is the symbol of the Victory :)

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 11:02am
< ="text/">

Nexy Calix review

Weight
: 86 Grams
Handle : A thinner Flared handle than I'm used to; but very comfortable in the hand.
Balance : Close to well balanced.
Blade Face : 156 mm x 150 mm

Thickness : 5mm

Reference :

As a reference point; I played Table Tennis regularly from 1975-1983, because there was a table tennis table in the Staff room, at work. Some of my colleagues were County standard players; so I learnt by watching and copying them. Due to a change in job in 1983; I gave up Table tennis, to concentrate on long distance running and football instead.

I got back into Table tennis in August 2005, thanks to a chance conversation whilst in a queue for the tea bar, at a football match and the next night, I went down the club to meet up with other club members. One comment was “I can see you've played before”.

As a two winged topspin player; the biggest change I noticed was the difference in the way the 40mm ball; lost speed and spin more quickly than the 38mm ball after the bounce and that took time to adjust too.

Feel :

The Calix has a crisper feel, than other 5mm blades I've played with before and it doesn't have the hollow sound; that I associate with Spruce inner blades; like the Offensive Classic WRB or Xiom Fuga, either.

Of the composite blades I have; the closest in feel to the Calix, is my 98 gram Andro Kinetic Aramid Carbon; which is a 5.5mm thick blade; with a compact blade face.

Handle :

The handle of the Calix is well designed and finished to a high standard. You don't tend to notice it, as it fits very comfortably in the hand.

The handle insert with "instinctive creation" written on it, has a dampener within the handle piece and that helps provide the Calix with very precise feedback.

Dynamic Speed Range :

Nexy made a comment about the Calix being hard to pin down speed wise, as it has a wide dynamic speed range and after playing with it for a while, I'd agree with that.

Due to the Calix having a suppressed rebound; it has a low first gear; equivalent to an allround plus wooden blade.

In contrast; the top end speed of the Calix was higher than I anticipated and I initially missed more loops from mid and long distance; towards the back of the table, than I'm used too; in the first session and I'll go into more detail on that point, under the looping section.

Rubbers used for testing :

Red and Black 2.15mm H3 Neo
Red and Black 2mm 47.5% Palio Macro Era
Red and Black 2mm Palio Blitz
Red 2mm Xiom Vega Pro and Black 2mm Xiom Vega Europe

Red 39% 2mm Mercury II and black 36% 2mm Mercury II

Serving :

With tensor rubbers like 2mm Blitz and 2mm 47.5% Macro Era; I've been happy with the spin I can generate, with a variety of serves.

I was surprised by Vega Pro and Vega Europe because I was able to generate as much spin on serves; as I did with Tenergy 05 and Tenergy 64 on the Lissom, last year. That was something I didn't expect.

H2 Neo and H3 Neo were fine for serving; but surprisingly not as effective as the Vega Pro and Vega Europe. As a European, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that.

Flicks :

There were no problems playing accurate backhand flicks to the corners, on service returns with Macro Era or Blitz; however, Vega Europe took a little longer to adjust to, as I found I had to play the shot with less power, to achieve the same accuracy as I had with Blitz and Macro Era.

Flicking with H2 and H3 didn't take long to figure out; however, the quicker speed of the tensors in the short game makes it easier to apply pressure off flicked service returns; particularly against opponents who are less agile.

Pushed Service Returns, off a short serve

Good control when doing angled, pushed service returns, away from the server.

I've found the short game control of the Calix, is on a par with the OSP Expert and Stiga Offensive WRB.

Drop Shots :

For anyone with good touch; this is another area of the game where the Calix is good. It's control makes it easier to play effective drop shots; once you've forced an opponent back off the table.

My team mate is familiar with my game, but it didn't stop him getting caught out with some of the angled drop shots I played in the first session.

Looping :

Loop Drives close to the table :

During the first session I was pleased with my accuracy for landing backhand loop drives in the corners and towards the back of the table, with 23mm 47.5% Macro Era.

I also liked the performance of 2mm 47.5% Blitz on both wings on a later session too.

Likewise; 2mm Vega Pro and 2mm Vega Europe were also consistent close to the table. After twiddling the blade a few times; I found I preferred Vega Pro on the backhand and Vega Europe on the forehand.

Mid Distance and Long Distance Looping:

This was the one area of the game where the the Calix's dynamic speed range caught me out initially.

I didn't have any problem playing controlled forehand loops from mid distance, where I went for placement towards the back 4 inches of the table; but I wasn't as consistent when I tried power looping, as the carbon kick was greater than I anticipated and I found myself missing the end of the table, more than usual.

The way I got around that problem was to readjust my aim, from aiming to land the ball within 4 inches of the bass line, to 5-8 inches in front of the bass line instead.

With more playing time over subsequent sessions, I've got more familiar with what I can and can't do with the Calix and when to use it's power. The accuracy of my placement of loops from mid distance has improved to a level I'm happy with and I've also figured out how to use the Calix more effectively, for creating more spin and speed variations too.

The amount of sidepsin I can get on forehand loops, is more than I get with Mercury II on my 1990's Stiga Offensive Classic WRB from off the table too.

Of the rubbers I've used for forehand looping at mid distance, I liked 2mm Blitz the best.

Unlike the forehand; my backhand from mid distance wasn't affected nowhere near as much.

Smashing :

The power on tap within the blade when the carbon kicks in makes the Calix a good smashing blade.

Chopping :

As a rule, I find flexible wooden blades better for chopping than Carbon and Arylate Carbons; as they have a lower first gear and better dwell time.

As the Calix has a lower first gear too, than most carbon and arylate carbons; I find I could chop very effectively with it.

Feedback from others who've tried the Calix and been on the receiving end too :

Training partners and club mates who've tried the Calix, describe it as a good blade and have been impressed by it.

One advantage of having curious team mates is I've got to play against it, in their hands and I too was surprised as just how quick the speed of smashes and hard hit balls were.

I've yet to find anyone whose tried it and dislikes it.

Pros :

This is a real fun blade to play with and it's been a bit of an eye opener; as it's different in a good way. I've already told Nexy by pm; that it's the best Nexy blade I've had the privilege to test and play with.

Cons :

If you'd asked me would I pay $150 for a blade? my answer would have been no, as I already some some very good blades.

Conclusion

Having played with the Calix for a while, I recognise that this blade is something special.

fourcourts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourcourts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by fourcourts fourcourts wrote:

Hello, Antiq. Greetings from Washington, DC! I had to leave Singapore early. But thanks for being my ping pong guide during my visit. Videos coming soon

I did get to try Antiq's Nexy Calix so I'll share a few insights. But I flipped it around instead and used the black Palio Thor's on the FH and red Mercury 2 on the BH. I played about seven games with it.

Likes: good power on the FH. Fast but with some dwell. If I were to compare it to another blade, it would be a Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon. Fast but with some absorption. I really liked it on the BH. I like to transition from block to quick counterhit or counterloop and if the blade is too fast, the ball flies out. I did not have that problem with the Calix/Mercury 2 combo. Overall, I see this combo as a topspin machine with plenty of power when and if you decide to finish the point.

Dislikes: The price tag. I also did not have enough time to really test the short game. It felt fine on FH serves and short service returns. I wish I had some time to do an in-depth test of pushes and flips. Antiq did have some heavy BH pushes with the Thor's. I also did not have time to really test its BH looping capabilities.

Here are the videos of Antiq playing with his Calix blade. Yinhe Mercury 2 on the FH and Palio Thor on the BH. Enjoy.

Antiq playing with Calix

Edited by fourcourts - 12/27/2011 at 11:42pm
wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2012 at 5:45am
Nexy Calix Review

Setup 

FH: T05 2.1
 BH: Cornilleau Pilot Advance 2.0

Other rubbers tried with it: H3 prov, SpinArt and Acuda S2.

Previous main blade: DHS Hurricane Hao  

Appearance

This is a B-E-A-U-TIFUL blade, I especially love the handle. Everyone here in our club love its appearance and had asked what's the brand/name of the blade. 

Throw: Med-Low

Speed: 

It's like a balsa blade, slow on slow strokes/balls, great rebound on fast strokes/rallies. One of the players here uses TB ALC with T05 in his FH, we both agree that Calix is a little faster (we just did fh drills).. 

Feel:

Ive been using allwood blades (esp 5ply) since I played Table Tennis. For the past years Ive been trying to shift to composite blades for the extra speed and solidness but ending up getting back to the allwood blade coz of the lack of confidence on the spin I make with the carbon blades... I feel that i dont produce much spin on my loops.. With Calix It felt like an allwood blade, good flex & vibration like allwoods but more solid and crispy. First time using calix I knew Im gonna stick with it. Its been over a month, and Calix is my main blade now.

Pushing:

Pushing is great with Calix especially off the bounce pushes. Drop shots is also good but it is really rubber dependent, with T05 drop shots is good, PilotAdvance is average, SpinArt&H3 was awesome.. 6-10inches from the net is easy to do with SpinArt/H3.

Blocking:

One aspect where this blade shines.. enough said :-)

Flicking

Most of my flicks are in my BH and it was great. 

Countering(near the table)

Before, I only passively block on my FH (seldom counterhit loops), now, Ive been counterhitting loops on my FH when Im in position. I have a good BH blocking, my opponents usually avoid my BH when opening or in a rally, lately, theyre not putting it on my FH especially slow spinny loops, I wonder why? lol... Counterspinning loops off the bounce is also great with calix.

Countering(mid-long distance)

One problem with allwood blades Ive tried is when I get too far from the table instead of counterlooping the ball I tend to semi-Lob the ball to avoid bottoming out.. With Calix I can counterloop confidently far from the table.

Mid distance counterlooping is great, better than my previous allwood blade coz its more solid.

Looping:

This is the reason I ended up going back to allwood blades because I was so used to its feel, Composite blades don't give me confidence on the spin I make on my loops maybe because of the low dwell time and less feel/vibration or maybe its just psychological. Anyway, with calix it felt like an allwood blade, very good vibration(but solid) and good dwell time.

T05 is great here but H3 41° and spinart is better.

Pips:

review soon... will try after our ranking this month

Rubber compatibility:

IMO, this blade is very good with very hard, and soft rubbers.  I would give 9-9.5/10 for Spin Art and HUrricane 3 41° prov,  Acuda S2 8-9/10, T05 7-8/10, Cornilleau Pilot Adv 6-7/10. I would have given T05 8.5-9/10 if I havent tried SpinArt and H3 41° after it.

I would probably have H3 41° on my FH or Spin Art when my T05 dies.

Other Players who tried my setup:

Player1 (Blade: Yinhe t8, FH: baraccuda bgslam, bh: t05fx): This guy have a very strong FH, he doesnt like vibrations on his blade but was surprised he played better with my setup and kinda liked the vibration/feel. Mostly his FH is a winner but if you were able to return his powerloop or topspin, he doesnt have a second shot.. lol..  With this blade he was even amazed he was like a consitent looper. This guy is a lot lower rank than me, I keep suggesting to him to get a slower blade and with feel blades to improve his game.. He doesnt listen.. Trying Calix made him thinking now.

Player2 (Blade: TB ALC, FH: T05, BH: Coppa X1):  This player have a good spin oriented game(especially his BH), wants some feel on his setup but dont want too much vibration. He liked my setup. He wouldnt give me answer when I asked him if it is better than his current setup ;-)

Player3 (Blade: stiff blades, FH/BH: Tenergies): "It has vibration, naaaahhh not for me!!" gave the racket back. lol... 
When I saw someone and think that a good allwood blade would suit him, Player3 would just say "Allwoods are slow, go carbon". Anyone can relate? hahah

Player 1 & 2 and the others(will post on next update) mostly agreed on what I wrote on this review.

Who would love this blade:

1.) Those who love allwood blades feel but want extra speed, solidness and crispiness
2.) Those who are allrounded players who especially have spin oriented game
3.) 

MY reviews are mostly positive because I cant really find any problem with this blade (based on my gamestyle), this blade is better than my previous blade (hurricane hao) which I had used for 3 years.

Thank you NEXY and BH-man for the great blade!

~My first time posting a review of a blade :-) 

Edited by wyatt - 01/17/2012 at 5:53am
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2012 at 5:49am
btw, most of my TT friends here ask where to buy calix but after knowing the price they backed out :-)
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2012 at 6:13am
Hey wyatt,
great review, thanks!

I myself have been looking for a long time for a flexible blade that is controllable close to the table and has some more kick than allwood blades from a few steps back. I didn't try too many composite blades but Calix was the best among them. Still unsure whether I should stick to my Lissom for some extra control, though.

The only drawbacks I see in Calix are some sharp vibrations (personally don't like them much, but I understand that if a blade is thin and flexible it will necessarily vibrate) and the high price. I'm sure may more people would consider Calix if the price were more affordable. Is there anything that can be done about it (NEXY? BH-man?), or are manufacturing costs that high for this kind of blades?

P.S. About your quoted posts: just edit them yourself. You can't delete them, but you can shorten them.

Join the Nexy Clan!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:03pm
Hi all,

To everyone who has used the Calix - I'm looking for advice.

I love my Calix in lots of ways, but the flexy nature sometimes catches me off guard.  Based on all your vast experiences, is there a blade with the same type of construction as the Calix, but stiffer?  So, carbon, hard outer (mahogony), same top speed as Calix, but less flexy?

I've been wondering about the new Adidas Avenger Carbon, but it won't be out for a few months at least, and it would be an unknown quantity.

TIA!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:09pm
I haven't played with it, but Spartacus could meet your requirements.

EDIT: see this post: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=611963&title=nexy-blades-clan#611963

Edited by arg0 - 04/25/2012 at 6:17pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I haven't played with it, but Spartacus could meet your requirements.

EDIT: see this post: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47778&PID=611963&title=nexy-blades-clan#611963

Yeah, I had a few Sparts and sold them on.  They were awesome blades, but I preferred Calix for the harder feel, so I stuck with that for a good while.  I'm really just wanting a stiffer Calix.  Exactly the same blade, but with a thicker core.  Something like that.

It's probably a pipe dream.

I should just cut a blade shape out of a mahogany table and try that. :-)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:35pm
Right, sorry, I overlooked that.
If you're sure it will fit your requirements, why don't you ask Nexy whether he can make you a custom Calix? It's going to be expensive, but testing several other blades, trying to find the one that plays exactly like a stiffer Calix, won't be cheap either.
Or maybe he has some leftover Calix prototypes that are stiffer than the final version and that he's willing to sell.
Join the Nexy Clan!
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 6:36pm
you already know my 2 cents ... but for everyone else : 9-10-9

Wink
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2012 at 7:03pm
9-10-9 is a great blade, stiffer than Calix, but surely has no hard feel.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 12:09am
AndySmith, my same sentiments with the Calix, just a bit too flexy but a nice blade though. What about the Donic Carbotox. 
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 2:45am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Hi all,

To everyone who has used the Calix - I'm looking for advice.

I love my Calix in lots of ways, but the flexy nature sometimes catches me off guard.  Based on all your vast experiences, is there a blade with the same type of construction as the Calix, but stiffer?  So, carbon, hard outer (mahogony), same top speed as Calix, but less flexy?

I've been wondering about the new Adidas Avenger Carbon, but it won't be out for a few months at least, and it would be an unknown quantity.

TIA!

A Calix with 2mm shaved off the top of the head will be what you want, are you brave enough ?:). If you aren't brave enough I might like to buy it
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

AndySmith, my same sentiments with the Calix, just a bit too flexy but a nice blade though. What about the Donic Carbotox. 

That might be a good shout.  Or there's the Aratox RS I suppose.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 3:20am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

A Calix with 2mm shaved off the top of the head will be what you want, are you brave enough ?:). If you aren't brave enough I might like to buy it
Ummmmm.  No!  My Calix has been through enough!

I doubt I'll sell it until I find what I'm looking for.  It's too good.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 6:32am
How about lighter rubbers then, that will stop it flexing
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 10:55am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

How about lighter rubbers then, that will stop it flexing

Well, maybe that's worth a go.  I've just swapped IQUL for the tacky KTL Red Diamond, so that's quite a lot lighter already.  Got Shark2 on the other side.  Don't know if I can let that go.

Possible options then:

Donic Burn Carbotox
Donic Burn Aratox RS
Donic Ovtcharov Soft Carbon
Xiom V1 (if I can find one)
Approach Nexy
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:01pm
So the Red Diamond is "quite a lot lighter" than IQUL?  That's good to know.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

So the Red Diamond is "quite a lot lighter" than IQUL?  That's good to know.

Yeah, absolutely. I'm talking here about the KTL one I've been moaning about on the other thread. The earlier LKT ones were all quite hard and heavy.
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 1:38pm
Unfortunately, I guess that means you don't know for sure what you will get when you order the Red Diamond now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic