FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Calix Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

Unfortunately, I guess that means you don't know for sure what you will get when you order the Red Diamond now.

I'm super confused about the whole thing. My guess is that there's a tacky one (which I've got) and a grippy one, which I wanted but didn't get.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

How about lighter rubbers then, that will stop it flexing

Well, maybe that's worth a go.  I've just swapped IQUL for the tacky KTL Red Diamond, so that's quite a lot lighter already.  Got Shark2 on the other side.  Don't know if I can let that go.

Possible options then:

Donic Burn Carbotox
Donic Burn Aratox RS
Donic Ovtcharov Soft Carbon
Xiom V1 (if I can find one)
Approach Nexy

Didn't you order a medium sized OSP expert a while ago?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 5:06pm

Didn't you order a medium sized OSP expert a while ago?
Yeah.  It helped my forehand looping a lot, but my backhand suffered with it.  It has made me think a lot about 5 plies in general, so I've got a Ross Leidy on the way based on what I learned.  But I'm more effective with harder, stiffer blades...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2012 at 5:28pm
Andy,  is the Spartacus stiffer than the Calix is....but the Spartacus felt too soft because of the Hinoki outer ply compared to the Calix?

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Andy,  is the Spartacus stiffer than the Calix is....but the Spartacus felt too soft because of the Hinoki outer ply compared to the Calix?

Yes, exactly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:32am
Andy have you ever tried a YEO?, it's not so good for looping but stiff enough for a blocking backhand and in the speed range you seem to enjoy (OFF). Myself I'd rather force myself to learn to loop both sides and use the flexible blade
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:43am

Andy have you ever tried a YEO?, it's not so good for looping but stiff enough for a blocking backhand and in the speed range you seem to enjoy (OFF). Myself I'd rather force myself to learn to loop both sides and use the flexible blade

Not tried a YEO.  Never had the chance to see one in the flesh either.  Maybe I will look out for a JTTAA version.  I'm hoping my Ross Leidy will be in this kind of category TBH.  And I have an Adidas v1.5 on the way now as well.

Learn?  I'm too old to learn!  I just buy stuff!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 6:58am
You wont find many 5 ply's with that same kind of made of spring steel feel that a YEO has, it' too fast for me. It's notably lower throw than most blades also, so you need some rubbers that are high throwers
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

How about lighter rubbers then, that will stop it flexing

Well, maybe that's worth a go.  I've just swapped IQUL for the tacky KTL Red Diamond, so that's quite a lot lighter already.  Got Shark2 on the other side.  Don't know if I can let that go.

Possible options then:

Donic Burn Carbotox
Donic Burn Aratox RS
Donic Ovtcharov Soft Carbon
Xiom V1 (if I can find one)
Approach Nexy

Xiom V1?.... I thought you were wanting more of an ALL+ blade... the V1 is definitely not that. I enjoyed mine but it hindered my game (then again you are probably a much higher rated player than I)

It was a beautiful blade but I've come to hate the flat Xiom flared handle
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:09am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

9-10-9 is a great blade, stiffer than Calix, but surely has no hard feel.

well that's true... but perhaps he could have Charlie put thin veneers of black walnut as the outers
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:44am
Ok, I think we can scratch v1 from the list!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 11:49am

You wont find many 5 ply's with that same kind of made of spring steel feel that a YEO has, it' too fast for me. It's notably lower throw than most blades also, so you need some rubbers that are high throwers
True, but I find H3 Neo on YEO is not that fast, unless I want it to be fast :).  The Combination of H3 NEO and YEO give the fectect throw IMO.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:16pm
I don't want to be a nuisance, but this is supposed to be the "Official Calix Review Thread" and people will look for information about Calix here. Let's try to stay on topic.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I don't want to be a nuisance, but this is supposed to be the "Official Calix Review Thread" and people will look for information about Calix here. Let's try to stay on topic.

Yes, you're right. It span a bit out of control. If I get anywhere with my search, I will start a new thread.

By the way, I should say that the Calix is a wonderful blade and probably unique. Don't want anyone to think that I'm knocking it in any way. Just wish I could get a slightly stiffer one, missus.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 10:55am
If I see anyone make another full review of Calix, I will link it to the first post in the thread to make it easy for everyone to access reviews. Drifting into this or this related tangent will always happen. Anyone PM me if I missed a full review in this thread.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 10:02pm
Dear friends,

I will run a very special event.

Calix will be only 70 USD for a week.

It's a specail discount event, never done before.
I just want to let people taste what NEXY like.

So, come and buy one.

It will start within today, and it will be ended next week Monday.

Come to www.nexy.com

Thank you ~!!
Brand Manager of NEXY
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 12:15am
Yup, the deal of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 2:30am
Get one while supplies last!
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 2:41am
What an incredible deal! Get one before Nexy's medication starts working!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 5:24am
$70 USD ???!!! Someone must have hit Prez Moon on hte head with a hammer and he is still seeing the birds fly around!

Wow, that is like near 1/2 price.

Maybe his mother will have him drink some barley tea and he will recover soon and take this off sale.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 10:13am
Thank you for all the funny and interesting comments for my specail discount program.
(I liked your comment specially, BH-manTongue )

My blades are good ones, but compared with the quality, I don't have good sales outside of Korea.
So, I think I need to surprise one time, to get people intersted in our products.
That's all.

I don't want to ruin the reputation of my blades, by giving cheap price for long time.
I think this will not last long.
Just one week promotion, and this will not come again.

So, just forgive my crazy discount program, and just take it as a sudden luck.
We have that sometimes in our lives.Smile
Brand Manager of NEXY
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 10:50am
I checked out the English version of his site (Nexy.com) and NEXY is discounting Hexer HD, T64FX and Spartacus as well. I am not going to pay for Tenergy again, but Hexer HD has the hype. PP Rob would disagree and passionately say the hype is not just hype, but real. Myself, I am hooked on Aurus and at 43,000 won everyday price, or just under $40 USD, it is a good price. BTW, PP Rob is a grand-dad, congrats!

About Nexy's mother, you have to understand Asian culture a bit. Prez Moon is teh Prez, but his mother is a force in the shop! What she sez goes, period. If any of you visit Korea, you simply MUST visit the Nexy HQ in SE Seoul, the mother and the whole staff are hospitable, there is a table to test out the gear, and a very high level club nearby as well. Even though Tak9.com is a huge online store, still, MANY TT athletes visit the shop. A few visits ago, I met (WR #54) Lee Sang Soo's dad there.  Absolutely a fun place to go and always an adventure of some sort.
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I checked out the English version of his site (Nexy.com) and NEXY is discounting Hexer HD, T64FX and Spartacus as well. I am not going to pay for Tenergy again, but Hexer HD has the hype. PP Rob would disagree and passionately say the hype is not just hype, but real. Myself, I am hooked on Aurus and at 43,000 won everyday price, or just under $40 USD, it is a good price. BTW, PP Rob is a grand-dad, congrats!

About Nexy's mother, you have to understand Asian culture a bit. Prez Moon is teh Prez, but his mother is a force in the shop! What she sez goes, period. If any of you visit Korea, you simply MUST visit the Nexy HQ in SE Seoul, the mother and the whole staff are hospitable, there is a table to test out the gear, and a very high level club nearby as well. Even though Tak9.com is a huge online store, still, MANY TT athletes visit the shop. A few visits ago, I met (WR #54) Lee Sang Soo's dad there.  Absolutely a fun place to go and always an adventure of some sort.

You were quite exact about my mother.
Actually, I feel much more comfortable since I started to work with her.
That's the reason I can focus more on blade designing job.
And personally, I hate to work on money problems.... not very good at calculations.Tongue
Brand Manager of NEXY
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2012 at 2:24pm
Calix vs Donic Waldner Ultra Senso carbon ?

Both 7 layers, both carbon, both light?

Which one I choose?

Calix = 150$
WSUC = 60$
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2012 at 1:43am
Originally posted by fourcourts fourcourts wrote:

Originally posted by Antiq Antiq wrote:

Visited Nexy office last week and look at the calix. Very well made and its a beauty. The blade is very thin. Since Mr Moon had a ready setup, I decided to take it for a quick spin... The blade was setup with Tihbar 1Q and Aurus Soft. Very nice feel with the FH and BH hit..... The initial trial is so comfy that ended up I got myself 2 calix.

My initial test this evening... the blade was setup with Mercury 2 FH and Thor BH, since they were lying around for a while..

Short and Long Push is good, and spinny. FH loop is loaded with power, the bat flex when you hit hard, thus projecting more power. Very nice combo, will definitely stick to this combo for quite a while...

IMO, the blade should goes well with soft or medium soft rubbers... Never regret getting 2 lol...

Hello, Antiq. Greetings from Washington, DC! I had to leave Singapore early. But thanks for being my ping pong guide during my visit. Videos coming soon

I did get to try Antiq's Nexy Calix so I'll share a few insights. But I flipped it around instead and used the black Palio Thor's on the FH and red Mercury 2 on the BH. I played about seven games with it.

Likes: good power on the FH. Fast but with some dwell. If I were to compare it to another blade, it would be a Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon. Fast but with some absorption. I really liked it on the BH. I like to transition from block to quick counterhit or counterloop and if the blade is too fast, the ball flies out. I did not have that problem with the Calix/Mercury 2 combo. Overall, I see this combo as a topspin machine with plenty of power when and if you decide to finish the point.

Dislikes: The price tag. I also did not have enough time to really test the short game. It felt fine on FH serves and short service returns. I wish I had some time to do an in-depth test of pushes and flips. Antiq did have some heavy BH pushes with the Thor's. I also did not have time to really test its BH looping capabilities.

Thank you very much. Which one is better between Calix and Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon? Which one serves spinner? Which you have a choice, you will choose Calix? Why?

I really want to know which one is better for a looping style with H3 Neo as FH, Ten05 as BH. Calix is flexible, and is easy to flick ?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 1:32am
I just received a Calix today and it definitely is one of my best experiences ever. Only 30min on the robot let me feel that immediate satisfaction from the very first balls. My conclusion is that the Calix is the blade for the people who like to loop and hit close to the table. I always was in love with the mj and it took a minute to tell myself the Calix was the mj for players who do not want to walk away, want to be fast and aggressive staying 3 feet from the end line. At some point i was counter driving at a very fast pace and my recovery was impeccable and natural. I have to say a fast Setup that weighs 175g total will help. It is rare to have such a light and thin blade be so solid and it was an enlightenment.
Disclaimer: i am back from an 8 months injury and I might be in the mood to like any blade but a couple weeks with other fine blades did not fire me up inside as the Calix did. One more word: I used 2x 2.0 lkt rapid speed both brand new and they are not that neutral. I can't wait to test it at the club with something like m2, calibra or ...or...
I have the feeling I could play my very best game with that blade dressing it up with Adidas p3/p5 or Cornilleau pilot advanced/power. The idea is to avoid giving stardom to the rubbers and favor balance between lightness, speed and spin for a fast allround game.

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2013 at 4:20am
Sounds like the kind of blade I like. Have you used a Spartacus? How does it compare?
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2015 at 8:41am
I tend to switch between the ever popular viscaria and the calix 1 over and over. The moment i hit a few balls with my viscaria i realize again that the calix is just a better blade in almost all aspects "except a bit of speed" same rubbers on both blades btw. t64 on FH t05 BH

1 month of calix so far

Calix-1/>=</Viscaria

Feel------ Calix>Viscaria
The calix has more vibration than the viscaria and if what you like is to actually feel the ball before you launch it at your opponent then the calix blade wins this one easy.

Control----- Calix>Viscaria
This is caused by the feel IMO. also the fact that the blade is very thin. Even though the calix has two layers of carbon in it, it plays closer to an all wood 5ply blade than a carbon blade. 

Blocking-----  Calix>Viscaria   

this is by a landslide. the calix makes blocking feel like a dream. Most of this is due to to feeling of vibrations when you block the ball. With more control comes easier blocking.

Speed------- Viscaria>Calix
This was an easy test. Viscaria out performed the calix in speed easily. Although over the table shots were harder to land because of the speed of the viscaria, hitting the table from mid to long distance was extremely easy to do with good pace on the ball.

Off the table Loops-------  Viscaria = Calix

This was a hard one to judge, the calix out performed viscaria in a few ways while the viscaria out performed the calix in others. Loop/drives were easily more powerful with the viscaria, however the dip that the calix performed on the ball was unmatched. The calix put an insane amount of topspin on the ball compared to the speed it put out. This caused the ball to dip down very early. Slow spinny loopers would absolutely adore this. With the viscaria, when i missed the table it was from hitting the ball too far. With the calix, it would be from the ball dipping almost too early to where the ball would hit the net. But even with the ball hitting the net, it had enough topspin to often creep it's way over anyway. Again, this blade has an all woody blade feeling so looping is extremely easy to do with it.

To be continued... Going to do about 1 more month of testing between the two

Edited by NoRema - 03/15/2015 at 1:07pm

Click the picture for feedback ^
NoRema View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoRema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 9:40pm
Adding downsides to the calix:

1. Wings needed to be sanded down, very sharp and caused blisters among my hands and other high leveled player that tried out the blade.

2. Although the off the table loops are very spinny, it's not extroardinarily easy to generate a LOT of speed with them.

3. It's a different feeling of a blade that you've probably never experienced, it will take a while to get used to.

OVERALL STILL MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BLADE, and the only blade that I'm purchasing a backup of the exact same blade for.

Click the picture for feedback ^
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 8:27am
Hmm, my Calix was purchased in Feb 2012, and came very nicely pre-sanded:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic