FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TinArc 4th Day (video added)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TinArc 4th Day (video added)
    Posted: 12/05/2011 at 10:35am
Review updated with all four days of feedback merged.

Many of us have seen Brian Pace's Video Review of this rubber, but how does it perform in the hands of a Noob/Intermediate who is used to a Hurricane 3 variant?

After damaging my H3NP38 I made a "Christmas Decision" and decided to try and find an Equal or Better Substitute. This is Classic EJ Rationalization from a guy who finally stuck with a forehand rubber for more than a year.

This is the first non hard/non tacky rubber on my FH in 2 years.

Style:

US1200 "tactical" player with Serve/Push/Pickhit tendencies who frequently uses serve push and passive BH stroke to setup over the table drive/smash attacks. Currently developing a more allround style with more active BH and FH topspins to create rallies that I can win by outlasting or outpositioning.

DHS Tin Arc
37 degrees 2.1mm after 3 hours of warmup, drill and a match:
Edit - might be the softer 35 degree 2.0mm - can't find a label.

The look and feel of the rubber:

-Big pores on a light orange sponge (lighter color than Hurricanes).
-Topsheet appears very high quality, uniform, nicely finished
-Topsheet is only very lightly tacky, a plastic protector will stick
-Noticeably lighter and softer than H3 neo provincial 38 and 39 degree blue sponge.
-The sponge looks and feels very "German" (very even/soft/elastic)

Compared with H3 Neo Provincial 38:
The Serve
-Even without a tacky top and hard sponge, it served very well and was easy to adjust.
-Engaging the sponge is the trick for varying spin amount, and toss height changes make a big difference to what your opponent receives
-Short serves are a little trickier, but doable.
-Knuckle serves are a little harder to perform.

The Push
-bouncier, but very good control like current ESN offerings.
-you can engage the sponge to create spin variation, rather than use the topsheet like you would with H3
-drop shots are a little tougher to manage than H3
-fast deep pushes at the elbow are easier

Serve Receive Opener and Third ball attack
-Openers with medium topspin and pace vs several different top/side variants were noticeably easier, rather than being stuck in the "push or kill" mindset that H3 encourages.
-On third balls, it was hard to tell, as sitting ducks are sitting ducks.
-i didn't notice any increase in unforced errors against third ball

The Block and Counterhit
-Blocking is faster and therefore a little harder to control. Unlike H3, which can effectively block even big drives and seems to ignore their spin, TA is more sensitive to a fast shot that engages the sponge. The dwell certainly helps here though.
-For allround countering and blocking warmup, the rubber feels noticeably faster on medium strokes than classic chinese tacky/hard sponged rubbers.

Smashing, Driving and Looping
-Flat hitting is better than ok. Pretty fast with medium strokes.
-Seems to lack that top end killing gear H3 has on 100% drives; it seems possible to bottom it out, but I may not have made the correct stroke adjustment.
-Looping is much easier. Creating safe topspins and attacking against topspin is where this rubber is much more forgiving than H3.
-Spins and drives had ample power. Like H3, when I "got it right" (meaning the loop timing) my opponent would block the ball to the ceiling. I think the window for getting it right is bigger than H3.

RECAP
QUALITY; QUALITY; QUALITY
-The topsheet has some "Euro" qualities for grip and elasticity
-Amazing sponge and I would be surprised if DHS made it in house.
-Faster than H3 on blocks, counters and medium strokes.
-Very forgiving for topspin like modern tensors but has some firmness that reminds you that it's Chinese.
-More firm and direct feel and lower throw than Acuda S3, although they play similarly.
-This is a great rubber for intermediate players looking for good speed and spin with a slightly Chinese feel but don't have a Chinese coach and 20+ hours a week to train.

Video added to Day 4 comments below:
http://youtu.be/SnOnlcKMkMc

Contrast video of H3 / Mark V on same blade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0MipKodR-U&feature=youtu.be

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 11:46am
Wow.  Sounds like a great alternative to H3NP, which can suffer from patchy supply (as you've found).  Also sounds like one step closer to DHS having a hybrid product somewhere in between classic chinese, jap, and euro rubbers.

So this is regular Tin Arc, not Tin Arc 3?

Edit - also, I remember now that I discounted Tin Arc because the initial reviews mentioned that it was significantly faster than the Neo series.  I suppose the best test of that would be to compare directly to the Skylines you are (hopefully) going to try next!  :-)

Edited by AndySmith - 12/05/2011 at 12:25pm
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 1:47pm
to me it lacks the grip when looping hard against underspin. the trajectory ends up being a little too flat for me. 
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 2:07pm
Great review. Thanks for taking the time. Can I ask, who is your supplier for DHS rubber?
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 2:24pm
He said in another thread he got them from ttnpp.com which in my experience have very good sheets of DHS rubber
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

He said in another thread he got them from ttnpp.com which in my experience have very good sheets of DHS rubber

Thanks.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

So this is regular Tin Arc, not Tin Arc 3?
A look at the ITTF product code would tell for sure. It sounds to me like the OP is describing TA3 (24-047), not TA (24-045).
BBC, SP, LP
LGL_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LGL_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 5:38pm
I thought DHS said this is meant to be a backhand rubber?
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 5:52pm
technically it is, but people can use it for fh too. basically it's a softer rubber with a grippier rather than tackier top sheet. 
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 6:14pm
I´m using is on my BH and I like it. I recommend it as a BH rubber, it doesn´t bite to ball like Chinese hard sponges, it´s more a Euro-type rubber. Topsheet is durable and has an unique smell.

However, topsheet tears it easily and big porous sponge is really delicate. Price tag isn´t also cheap at all, considering it´s a DHS rubber...

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 6:34pm
It's a good review.  

I'm surprised that you did not try Thor's as a substitute.  Contrary to what others have said, I do not think it's too fast and you get the extra service spin that non-tacky rubber lacks along with some of the off the table benefits.  I will say this about Thor's - it is not a Tenergy replacement or any of these other awaited replacements.  It is a tacky rubber that plays better than an ordinary tacky rubber away from the table.  I think you'll like it since you like tacky rubber but you're not "Ma Lin - 3rd Ball Assassin" (I should copyright that!) so you need some looping help.  

I'm (finally) getting to try your recommendation about Acuda S3 1.8 in about 15 minutes...
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 8:50pm
Thors is great rubber for someone looking for a very fast tacky rubber but icontek would do well to stay away from it. It's just not suitable for his level and would totally stall his development. Working on the pace he hits the ball is one of the main things he needs to work on and it wont improve with faster gear
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 9:04pm
Nothing wrong with a little faster rubber so long as it's got some linear control about it. Especially if you can use it on the backhand, but the hardest and one of the fastest tensors on the market, not so good for learning how to be aggressive on the forehand
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 10:16pm
It's definitely TA not TA3. like most of my recent DHS stuff, it's from ttnp. Out of more than ten DHS sheets, zero defect or issues.
Likely I'll play one more day with this before going to a neo TG2 sheet.

I hear ya blue, this rubber is much faster on passive and medium strokes than H3neo.

Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Nothing wrong with a little faster rubber so long as it's got some linear control about it. Especially if you can use it on the backhand, but the hardest and one of the fastest tensors on the market, not so good for learning how to be aggressive on the forehand

I assume you are referring to Thors; and that's one reason I never would up EJing that rubber.

The Tin Arc was an impulse buy after Bryan Pace's video review. Ironically, what got me was that he described the rubber as producing a true representation of his shots (power input=output) and having some of the classic chinese characteristics (service)...

I have league matches tomorrow; if I see that I make a greater # of unforced errors in matches with my FH, I will know that the TA is likely more rubber than I can handle. If I wind up attacking with greater confidence (due to high enough throw, and safer feeling on topspin), I might wind up keeping it.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 11:16pm
I guess that is where we are different in that I don't see that Thor's is so fast, myself.  It seems very linear in it's play.  Icon and I are in similar stages of development and I have never felt that Thor's is uncontrollable.  I would add the qualification that I am playing it on an All+ blade and I am not familiar with how fast your blade is Icon.  

I will have to thank you for one recommendation, though, Bluebucket.  I played for 2.5 hours with the Acuda S3 1.8 and then my final 0.5 hours with the Shark II soft.  I liked Acuda S3 as it plays like a logical next step up of Mark V, but the Shark II seemed to offer more overall possibilities to my game.  My BH openers and attacks were clearly much more deadly with it and it seemed MUCH easier to flip serves.  

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I'm glad that I could respond to both of you.  It is also nice to have both sheets of rubber cost less than one sheet of Tenergy.  Clap
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2011 at 11:59pm
Not hijacking at all.

I agree that Acuda S3 is the evolution of Mark V/Mendo (does everything they can do, except chop and allows easier opening and topspin against a variety of balls).

We may be at similar stages of development, but you are (wisely) playing with a slower blade, and likely have better mechanics :)

And if my Viruoso (OFF-) broke today, I quickly would grab my 15 year old Yasaka Extra and play with that. I'm curious to see what Acuda S3 1.8mm plays like on that blade. I forgot to mention that I only tried Acuda 2.0mm on my Yasaka Extra; didn't like it, too much softness and flex, liked it better on my Clipper.

Is the Shark II you played with 2.0mm or thicker? I haven't used it, but from what I have read, it sounds like a serious competitor to German and Japanese BH rubbers.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 12:29am
Icon, Shark in 2.0mm is a fantastic rubber, I'm not sure what the lower limit of it rating wise would be but it seems usable on the backhand of a kid thats had a little coaching ~us1600 and Shark is a very fast rubber but it's control is much better than the majority of high performance Tensors, I'd say all tensors except I haven't tried Acuda S3 so I'll say the majority just incase. So you basically have a rubber that you can use all the way from 1600 to Pro level with some confidence and that doesn't happen very often.

Definitely keep Shark in mind for the future, because it comes in so many different hardness options you can choose soft, medium or hard depending on the power level of your backhand and how much solid contact with the blade you want.

Anyway keep testing Tinarc and I'm really interested in the TG2 vs TG3 test

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 1:10pm
I may have you on stroke mechanics due to coaching and the fact that we have a guy in our club known as "the robot".  He's TECHNICALLY only rated 952 but he's served as the practice partner for a number of good players including a 2300+ rated Lebanese national champion.  In addition to being a ringer for doubles, he's very good at straightening out your strokes.  Have you ever had any coaching?

I went through the speedy blade thing myself, though, and my therapist says that it's okay for me to admit that now Pinch.  I had the unfortunate experience of playing a lot against a defender on a table that slowed down the game.  Once I went to the clubs I got killed because my setups were way too fast for me.  In my collection I also have an HK, Maze, and Clipper while I've also used a TBS (I still miss that one because it was a really light old model in AN), a KLHS and a Viscaria thanks to forum trading.  I had to use my Maze last week as I had cracked my Extra 3D and HATED it so much that I bought two 3D's so I'd have a backup.  

It's interesting that you found S3 soft and flexy, though; I think I enjoyed the Shark II (albeit in soft) due to the fact that it was softer and flexier (but I'm still more of a hitter).  You might want medium in Shark.  In the same vein as Thor's, I did not find it to be too fast but that may be the All+ blade.  

I ordered my Shark II from AlexTT based upon bluebucket's recommendation and the fact that I needed (need being a relative term) something to push my order up so that I could use a coupon.  AlexTT did not allow me to select a thickness but only a hardness and I chose soft.  I just assumed that it was like other Chinese rubbers where they are all one thickness.  I have not thoroughly checked so I am not entirely sure if there are thicknesses of Shark II or not or where you would get it.  bluebucket, where did you find the 2.0 thickness or is that what I got?  I might want to keep that in mind.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 10:26pm
Second Session with TinArc on Forehand (league night at the club)

It was pretty good.

Split matches with my buddy the 1400 pips out hitter, took a US1700 player to 5 games, got stomped by the lobber and won 4 matches straight against equal and lower rated players.

I was impressed with how consistent the rubber performs on a variety of topspin strokes ranging from brush loops to drive loops to flat smashes. Really very few surprises. It's very forgiving to the "caught out of position loop from wrist with elbow at side" stroke as well as the "reaching straight arm hail mary pull the wrist to cover the ball" shot.

Loops against a variety of incoming spins were pretty easy, including medium underspin and knuckle balls. I especially enjoyed counterattacking flat drives with a faster loop. The topsheet is not that sensitive to incoming spin and the sponge turns most incoming shots into outgoing topspin.

I haven't played with a rubber this fast on my FH since Joola Green Energy in 2006. But unlike that one trick pony (it loops, and that's it) TinArc seems much more well rounded.

TinArc definitely plays softer than any Hurricane variant, including #19. But unlike the soft and deadish #19 sponge, TinArc's soft sponge is very elastic. Not to the point of being wild, but to the point where it feels very European.

What's interesting about Tin Arc is that it basically changes my forehead game from one that relied on wildly changing spin and speed (Hurricane 3 -which was often enough to end the point with an opening loop and a drive or open/smash) to a more consistent topspin rally based game. In that regard I think Tin Arc may be more suitable to my current and future development.

I miss H3's topsheet for over the table pushes and dropshots though. I also miss how easy it is to vary knuckleball placement and depth on service with H3. The tradeoff is that TinArc allows the fast push at the elbow more easily and performs much faster deep serves to throw off people's timing.

I'm still excited to try TG2 because it's an unknown rubber. I really enjoyed TG3Neo, and a softer, more spinny design might just suit me. I just hope that the Neo Sponge has some of the speed of Tin Arc and some of the elasticity. I am not super hopeful.

Remember how I said I could play with the H3 Blue Sponge if TinArc didn't suit me?
I'm having doubts now.

Edits:
speech to text is absolutely better than auto correct. It let me write the bulk of this review while driving. Too bad the edits took an extra 15 minutes to turn it into English :)

I have no clue why DHS has not made a 38-40 degree version of this sponge and thrown a Hurricane variant topsheet on it...
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2011 at 11:15pm
What was that?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 12:31am
dabookerman, I was just talking about what level of player I think can use Shark II comfortably, I play in the low US2000's myself but have seen lots of people use Shark II. I got my 2.0mm sheets from TTNPP. It's the only place I've seen carry them in 2.0 but is the most popular thickness it seems. Icon wouldn't tinarc be a good backhand and run TG3 or TG2 on the FH?

Edited by bluebucket - 12/07/2011 at 12:32am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2011 at 1:21pm
'Preciate the info.  I need to go home and compare the thickness of what I have but it's likely greater than 2.0.  That may come in handy the more play with Shark II...
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 6:03am
Icontek, do you have black sheet? how is the topsheet compared to H3neo? My tinarc3 has harder (I mean stiff) topsheet then H3neo. Not huge difference, but noticable. Without tackiness it misses something :/
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 7:23am
The TinArc topsheet is softer than Hurricane tops, including Provincials.
stigatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 7:46pm
how is TinArc compared to hard tensors like Vega Pro or Acuda S1? is it lighter? is it easier to push?
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2011 at 10:07pm
On the third day I just drilled with it.

It is a very easy rubber to use and adjust to, consistency for topspins increased and my drilling improved.  I don't really have any complaints about TinArc; everything is manageable. The sponge is ridiculously good and plays like a light tune job but is more consistent.

Can't compare it with Hard Tensors. S3 is the first modern tensor I've played with in the last three years (before that time the only tensors I used were soft - Rapid D.TeChS, Joola Energy, Andro Plasma 380, and I hated all of them). TinArc plays soft, bouncy, grippy and lightly tacky. But compared to Acuda S3 it's more linear in performance from slow to fast strokes. Spin and speed production seem to increase along a gradual arc. What impresses me most is that the topsheet and sponge seem to work in great harmony between brush/drive/smash and everything in the middle.

No alarms and no surprises.

And I understand that it might be designed as a Chinese "BH rubber" but what's ironic is that most of these modern Chinese "BH" rubbers (Shark II, Red Diamond, etc) perform well on non-professional Western forehands...

Unlike any H3 topsheet, TinArc is far less tacky and is less reactive to incoming SLOW spin (like serves). It's more reactive to incoming FAST spin (like drives), but even then the softness allows you to make adjustments to your block or counter. Contrast this with H3, which is very sensistive to incoming SLOW spin (like serves, pushes, and spin loops) but can ignore big spins on FAST shots like drives and hard topspins.

One company, two very different animals.
bibigon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2011 at 12:30am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

TinArc plays soft, bouncy, grippy and lightly tacky.

As to DHS rubbers, this description reminds me Dipper I the most.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2011 at 2:05am
Dabookerman -
Re: shark II vs Acuda S3 - bear in mind that your shark 2 is likely 2.1 or 2.2 and the Acuda S3 you bought was 1.8mm IIRC... > 2.0mm is easier for flips and opening topspins but not as direct for flat hits, blocks and counterhits as 1.8mm rubber`.

Bibigon -

Unlike Dipper, this rubber is definitely a modern glue effect rubber and requires no speed glue or tuning to perform well. The quality of the topsheet and sponge is noticeably higher, in terms of consistency and evenness of finish and materials.

Day 4 Conclusions:

TinArc has a good audible pop and the feedback from flat hits (loud) to loops (quiet) is very nice. The sound is somewhere between a chinese *CRACK* and a Tensor *POP*.

I know I've been guilty of making "purist" comments that Tensors and many other modern rubbers just "do the work for you" requiring less than perfect technique for "good enough" results. And I know that Sebas made the most telling comment when he compared people using untuned Hurricanes to Martyrs.

With that being said, it's probably time I forgot about certain EJ Idealisms and got a bit more realistic. If I want to play with a tournament legal racket it's time to drop the Hurricane series. H3 Neo Provincial is great for the first few weeks/month when the factory tune is present. But I'm not going to spend that kind of money every month. Nor do I want to play friendly matches with a tuned racket and then switch to a "tournament legal" racket.

On a good week, I have 2-4 hours a week to play TT, and most of it happens in matches. I'll miss certain things about Hurricane (serve, drop shots, spin variation due to mis-hits) but it's probably more valuable for me to have a FH rubber that is as predictable as TinArc and gets enough of the job done to win points through consistency... I think my game has improved with H3 over the last year (and more importantly, my opponents do as well) but I think it's time to ditch it until DHS can come up with a true speed-glue replacement sponge that doesn't require retuning to perform at the level of other manufacturers (BTY, ESN, etc) products.

Video of day 4 (topspin vs topspin and topspin against underspin drills) attached.
TinArc is the Black FH Rubber.

http://youtu.be/SnOnlcKMkMc

This is just some friendly hitting, with a few sections that are focused (like the "serve underspin, then open" section) but shows an example of the sorts of speed and arc that the rubber produces on an OFF- blade.

I notice that I still struggle with footwork the most, and that my stroke adjustments happen mid point because I am not often in the right place.

Still could use some work on balance of backswing to followthrough and overall reduction in recovery time.

Still feel off balance and stiff when playing (one of these days I'll get my lower back "fixed).

Elbow is still rising up on some strokes. Need to keep that lower.

Generally though, I feel pretty confident in my ability to get the ball back on the table, even under pressure now.

If I can hold on to that confidence, and just remember all the silly things I need to be doing:

1) stay low, knees bent
2) drop wrist
3) symmetrical backswing and followthrough
4) get in position first, then take the stroke
5) relax
6) recover

I think I'll do ok :) The rubber just made it's way into my signature.

I will still test TG2 Neo "factory tuned" but on my old Yasaka Extra with a spare sheet of Acuda S3 2.0mm as the backhand. I've played with enough different H3's on that blade to be able to make an objective comparison.

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2011 at 4:33am
I wonder what the main difference is between the TinArc and the TinArc3

btw, icontek, how tacky was this sheet? how was the dwell time versus your h3 neo
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2011 at 4:50am
woo, you are really laying into the ball a lot more strongly than the last video/s, well done
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic