Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stroke Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stroke Question
    Posted: 12/17/2011 at 1:06pm
I know this is going to sound confusing but here it goes.
So when someone does a heavy chop and many people say you can have a very vertical swing to lift the ball or you can do a horizontal swing and get the ball over but the horizontal swing has to be a much faster stroke than the vertical swing. Does the same thing apply with light topspin. If you do a very fast horizontal stroke the ball will pass over the net but if its too slow it will go into the net? 
Thanks !
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 1:10pm
Think of it as this. The more forward movement, the more the ball will move forward. The less forward movement , it will be harder to cover more distance. 
AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 5:54pm
So the answer to my question is yes? :D
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 6:19pm
It is a bit more than just the swing. The whole body motion is vertical. You feel your hips  sinking into your right leg (assuming you are RH), and you release which creates a vertical lifting motion from your right side and your weight will naturally end up on your left. Key is to get low and develop an upwards springing motion. It is not strength as much as it is elasticity. If you watch videos of Chinese children training you will see lots of exercises to promote flexibility and springiness. 

As an aside, certain people are born with more naturally springy physiques. Others who do not have this capability (high jumpers do) just have to work at it and do the best we can. Substituting strength can work to a certain extent but it is not the same as springiness. 
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by AnthonyTT AnthonyTT wrote:

I know this is going to sound confusing but here it goes. So when someone does a heavy chop and many people say you can have a very vertical swing to lift the ball or you can do a horizontal swing and get the ball over but the horizontal swing has to be a much faster stroke than the vertical swing.

True but the horizontal speed must be very fast relative to the tangential speed to ball will have when it spins off your paddle..   If you can hit the ball infinitely fast you wouldn't need to worry about spin at all.

Now lets be real.   You can't hit the ball infinitely fast. If the ball is spinning at 100 rev/sec then the tangential velocity of the ball at the leading edge is 100 rev/sec x 2π x 0.02m/rev=12.57 m/s. This means that if you are moving the paddle up at 12.57 m/s it will match the surface speed of the ball.   There will be no force pushing the ball down into the net or table.   If you simply want to flat hit the ball it will drop into the net. Assuming you hit the ball very hard so it is traveling back at 30 m/s then the ball will still drop down at an angle of atan(12.57/30) or 22.73 degrees below horizontal.   The ball better be high and close to the net to pull of a fast flat hit.

SPs , antis, LP get away with hitting back spin because the ball doesn't grab the rubber at much.

When I play with LPs against a chopper I simply bounce the ball back. I hit the ball with a short sharp jab to keep the ball from grabbing the rubber. The spin continuation means that my return will have top spin that will drop the ball on the table on the opponent's side of the table because of the top spin on my return.

AnthonyTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnthonyTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 10:49pm
What about light topspin though? I find that I always hit the ball into the net if my stroke is even slightly slower than usual. Were talking about light topspin right now :P
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 11:07pm
Top spin balls should NOT go into the net unless you close your paddle too much if you are playing with inverted rubber.   Top spin should make the ball bounce off your paddle high just as back spin makes the ball bounce off your paddle low.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2011 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by AnthonyTT AnthonyTT wrote:

I know this is going to sound confusing but here it goes.
So when someone does a heavy chop and many people say you can have a very vertical swing to lift the ball or you can do a horizontal swing and get the ball over but the horizontal swing has to be a much faster stroke than the vertical swing. Does the same thing apply with light topspin. If you do a very fast horizontal stroke the ball will pass over the net but if its too slow it will go into the net? 
Thanks !

Hi antony
a good length topspin ball should clear the net by at least 12 inches and land near the base line within 6 inches.
Your topspin will improve if you constantly monitor where the ball lands on the other side. this is true for low fast loops and high slow loops.

If the low fast one skims the net it looks exciting but actually it will be bad length, landing short and giving your opponent too much time to play.

Low loops should be 12 inches above the net and land deep
High loops twice that and also land deep.
Only exception is when yr shot breaks the side line.

Looping with a more closed forward stroke works if you contact at peak bounce (as against block or high chop/float). when ball prob higher than net
If you allow ball to drop below net height (as against heavy chop, or sinking block) then more vertical stroke is necessary.
hope this helps

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 12/19/2011 at 9:38pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic