Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
Author
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy
    Posted: 09/16/2019 at 8:45pm
they said in the news that Sagittarius A is glowing big time (no pun intended, I know close to nothing about physics :) after a long calm period, indicating that a great deal of matter is falling in or around. We got too close, can you feel it sucking us?
If I had to buy another Ross Leidy blade to play and own with pride, it would be a sotto voce with ipe medial. That was right from the start, it’s actually amazing to have started with something that made itself a standard, that blade got everything, really.
Sponsored Links

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2019 at 8:05pm
As always, spectacular Ross! I did play with initials as inlay designs but it I couldn't come up with anything I liked.  In the end, I'm still deliriously happy with what I do have.  Just lately I've been listening to the sound the blade makes as I'm playing.  The tone is much clearer and cleaner than anyone else I'm playing against.  And I suspect that tells us something about the quality of Ross Leidy blades.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2019 at 1:48am
The blade is mine Big smile. In the past I bought 6 or 7 blades from Ross, but mostly J-pen with cork handle so it was not possible to have a special handle (I do not want to add weight to the blade) so this time I ordered a C-pen with inlay, and I am very happy with the result. The construction is similar to Acoustic. The blade is still on the way, and I am looking forward to have it soon.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Rusifizio View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusifizio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 4:41am
what a beauty, Ross!Smile
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 6:12pm
A long-time client asked me to post a couple photos of his latest blade.  The Cpen is limba(x2)-kiri-limba(x2), handle is Redwood burl with Ivorywood inlay.  The inlaid initial is oriented so that it will be staring his opponent in the face.  :)

Rusifizio View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusifizio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2018 at 1:49am
wooooow!!! one day me too!< id="99614">@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

Edited by Rusifizio - 07/24/2018 at 1:50am
hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 8:06pm
This is what he said in his email:
"I’ve attached a few photos of some Effortless blades that I’ve built.  The composition is Western Red Cedar - Kiri - Western Red Cedar.  Generally, I use a blade size of 157x150, but I can use any of the shapes I’ve designed.  The weight is generally 85g-95g, but this can go up if a larger head is used or heavier handle wood.  Standard thickness is around 8.9mm-9mm. "
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 7:47pm
As always, Ross's blades look beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a RL three-ply before.  I wonder what thicknesses he's using and what the final weight ends up as.  Like you, I'd love to read a review or two to hear how they play.

hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 5:06pm
Last one:
hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 5:05pm
1 more. The lucky owners of these blades please tell us about them. Thank you.

hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 5:03pm
Full view:

hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Did anyone owned or played with Ross's "Effortless" blade? Was there any reviews on it? Thanks.

I don't know the "Effortless".  Do you have any information to share?
I tried upload 4 photos and got denied. So I am going to ul one at a time. Hope this works.
Here is one, Western Red Cedar-Kiri-Western Red Cedar.

hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2018 at 11:22am
I do have some info and photos Ross sent me. But I need to get his permission before I can post them.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2018 at 3:45am
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Did anyone owned or played with Ross's "Effortless" blade? Was there any reviews on it? Thanks.

I don't know the "Effortless".  Do you have any information to share?
hleett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2018 at 12:54pm
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 6:11am
Very nice blade and story

And great that there are some new pictures - I already feared that there are no more blades ;)
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2018 at 4:53am
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2018 at 7:26pm
Other side
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2018 at 7:22pm
Ross finished a special handle project for me.  I sent him my favorite blade that has been my primary blade the last 3 years, an early 70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson.  I sent him a turning block of briar wood from my grandfather in law who passed away last year who was an avid pipe collecter and maker.  All the grandkids got a turning block that he would have used to make a pipe with it.  I had Ross make a handle as a tribute to the burl pipes he made and collected with black gaboon ebony for the end piece like a pipe stem.  It turned out absolutely stunning and looks even better in person than the pictures.  Perfect tribute and way to remember him as well as being as nice a handle as I have seen Ross make.

FH - Mark V 2.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 11:21am
Thanks for the kind words.  I'm glad you enjoyed the stroll through the thread!
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 1:27am
Just came across this thread for the first time.  Had time to only scan three pages but just beautiful, beautiful work!!  Just wonderful! 

Thanks for sharing the pleasure. 
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 8:27pm
Looks spectacular, Hungry Cow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 12:56pm
Didn't like the really big handle that came on my early 70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsan so I took it off and Ross built this beautiful Amboyna Burl with Purpleheart end caps handle for me molded in the shape of a Hock handle for me.

FH - Mark V 2.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 12:54pm

FH - Mark V 2.0

Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 2:14am
Would also fit the Swiss cheese TT club Wink

Again, Ross has done some wonderful work- and great to see him doing something totally different

as I spent so much money on the last 2 blades - I still have to wait until Ross can tackle my new idea,
so it's nice to see that there a new blades, not that he quits business before I can order Smile
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Ross' version reminds me the colors I'd like in a tt club: dark yellow walls and floors and brown tables. There is such a warm feeling to the combo.

Let me guess - you like orange balls? 

Wink
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 1:49am
In response to fatt's request, here we have the evolution of a blade:

From top to bottom and left to right:
Ross's original pistol grip.  Blade: Tasmanian Blackwood.  Handle:  Silky Oak

Straight handles.  
Blade 1: Huon Pine.  Handle 1: Tasmanian Blackwood.  
Blade 2: Willow.  Handle: Oak, Yew, Birch

Knife handles.
Blade 1: Redwood.  Handle 1: Huon Pine, Mytle, Tiger Myrtle
Blade 2: King Billy Pine.  Handle 2: Huon Pine, Myrtle, Beefwood
Blade 3: King Billy Pine.  Handle 3: Afzelia, Gaboon Ebony

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 5:22pm

the half vase grip is original: will the round side be for your palm?
Yep.  Fat side sits in palm; the idea is taken from Soul Spins handles.  The half vase shape _ Ross and I call it a knife handle shape - is original and we've developed it over three blades now.  Conventional shake hand grip with the straight edge sitting in the V between thumb and hand with the fingers curving around the belly.

A line up of all my Ross Leidy blades?  I did wonder if anyone would be interested.  Ideally such a photo would show the blades bare to fully appreciate the different outer plies.  At present most of my blades still have rubber on them, but I'll look at preparing them for a photo shoot.  Thanks for your interest, fatt.

Oh, I almost forgot: Ross made himself a version of this latest blade.  His blade actually uses more Australian timber than mine!

Blade:  Australian Red Cedar - Douglas Fir - Kiri - Douglas Fir  - Australian Red Cedar
Handle: Huon Pine with Amboyna inlays

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 7:37am
Hi all,

I thought I'd like to show you my latest and last blade from Ross.  I'm retiring from the workforce in a few weeks and my disposable income is about to be radically impacted, hence one last opportunity to ask Ross to make me something delicious.  I suspect the design - another Tassie/Ross collaboration - will draw mixed responses, but he and I both think this looks very cool.

The blade is similar to my Weaver: King Billy Pine - Douglas Fir - Kiri - Douglas Fir - King Billy Pine.
The handle is Afzelia with Gaboon Ebony inlays.
(The keen eyed amongst you might notice that the backhand side of the grip is 3mm thicker than the forehand.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2016 at 8:35am

I am amazed by the inlay skills; so much complexity in a such a simple result is a one of those paradoxes of life. The wood grain going vertical everywhere in your initials is a statement standing proud. Thanks for your post.

The secret is to cheat and use a CNC machine.  :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 33>
  Share Topic