tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Equipment > Equipment

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
Author
CLOUDBR View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLOUDBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy
    Posted: 10/20/2014 at 11:06am
This is my Ross blade (Composition): LOL

1. LIMBA (0.6)
2. WHITE ASH (0.6)
3. LIMBA (0.6)
4. KIRI (4.0 - CORE WITH HIGHER DENSITY)
5. BALSA (2.6 - BALSA SPECIAL)
6. CORK (2.4) 
7. SAPELE (0.4)

Thickness: 11.2 mm
The blade weighs 95.5g
Handle: Black Palm, Yellowheart, and Padauk.
Blade Shape: Compact-3

Edited by CLOUDBR - 10/20/2014 at 11:43am
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 1:17pm
That's gorgeous redarc! 
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 2:51am
redarc the bamboo side looks like a foundation and the other like a dream; the bh setting up the fh maybe? or the other way around? Wink
we ping therefore we are feedback the fatt ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) who gives a flying polyball
vishal_dindoyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vishal_dindoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 12:46am
I would never have the heart to glue rubbers on this baby!!
slowloop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 12:39am
That's a fantastic handle
TKMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 12:35am
Very nice
Redarc View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 1:01pm
This is my Ross blade   Smile

fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 9:41am
A nice thing to know it is possible and documented to get an off- sub 60g RL blade. If my younger daughter plays more I will think about it.
we ping therefore we are feedback the fatt ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) who gives a flying polyball
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 12:48am
I think the blade is about 8.5mm thick - .5mm Sapele, .6mm WRC, 6.4mm light Balsa, .4mm 3 ply birch, .6mm WRC. The secret to the light weight is being very strategic with the denser wood. Also that Balsa only contributes about 13 grams to the weight. The birch is roughly the same weight as the sapele or the 2 WRC plies together.
Regards,
Jonathan
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 12:17pm
great blade, wow, sub 60g should be very hard to make.  Only Ross is able to pull this one off!  Great job!
Jun Mizutani Super ZLC w/ T05/T64

My Feedbacks
Tassie52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 7:48am
Originally posted by JEAus JEAus wrote:

The blade weighs 58.4g
Composition is Ribbon stripe Sapele, Western Red Cedar, Balsa, .4mm 3 ply birch, Western Red Cedar.
The handle has camphor burl outers with a masur birch stripe.
Feel wise, it is stiff and the WRC side is softer and higher throw as would be expected. Speed Off- or so.
58.4g!  How do you manage to get the weight down there?  What is the overall thickness of the blade?

It looks absolutely beautiful, btw.  Well done!  Another great Aussie and Ross production.
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 5:21am
Regards,
Jonathan
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 5:20am
Regards,
Jonathan
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 5:17am
I too have recently purchased a blade from Ross (my third).
As always Ross was great to deal with and had plenty of helpful suggestions.
The blade weighs 58.4g
Composition is Ribbon stripe Sapele, Western Red Cedar, Balsa, .4mm 3 ply birch, Western Red Cedar.
The handle has camphor burl outers with a masur birch stripe.
Feel wise, it is stiff and the WRC side is softer and higher throw as would be expected. Speed Off- or so.

Edited by JEAus - 10/16/2014 at 5:25am
Regards,
Jonathan
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Redarc Redarc wrote:

Nice blade!

Thanks!  I haven't played with the 5 ply ST handle yet.  I can say the 7 ply is a very nice formula however.  It has good speed, good control, good sweet spot and is fun to play with in all aspects of the game.  I felt right at home with it despite spending most of the last couple of months using the TB ALC and Nittaku Basaltec Outer - both fairly fast composite blades.  

I wouldn't recommend using the curly ash if you plan to use the blade for playing, as there is some variation in the surface due the grain.  I built up several layers of glue to help even things out, carefully using a firm sponge to thin it on the high spots and fill the low spots and you can't see much variation after gluing but it adds work for something you can't see 99% of the time.
Redarc View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 12:44pm

Nice blade!

Edited by Redarc - 10/13/2014 at 12:46pm
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2014 at 9:07pm

Final version:

Tassie52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Must resist throwing money at Ross....

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 7:25pm
Must resist throwing money at Ross....
Jun Mizutani Super ZLC w/ T05/T64

My Feedbacks
Tassie52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

Investment wise, you're not just buying a blade, it's fun to think about the composition, think about the handle design, and see it coming together.  At the end of all that fun you get to hold your creation in your hand, and then you have all the fun of working out the best rubber for your blade and playing with it.  To me that's worth some extra, but the truth is I've spent more on individual Butterfly and Nittaku blades than any of these. Is it cheap? No. Is it worth it? Yes.
Thumbs Up  Couildn't have said it better myself.  Clap
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

rusttt, that is a whole lot of investment! Are your blades very stiff with harder and stiffer outer plies? Probably not because they are so thin (5.2 and 5.3 mm)?

The blade with ipe is medium stiff, probably similar to my Hayabusa ZXi in that dimension though considerably different feel.  

With the two new ones, I was looking for more flex specifically to improve my loops and an overall reduction in speed. 

Investment wise, you're not just buying a blade, it's fun to think about the composition, think about the handle design, and see it coming together.  At the end of all that fun you get to hold your creation in your hand, and then you have all the fun of working out the best rubber for your blade and playing with it.  To me that's worth some extra, but the truth is I've spent more on individual Butterfly and Nittaku blades than any of these. Is it cheap? No. Is it worth it? Yes.

W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 10:48am
rusttt, that is a whole lot of investment! Are your blades very stiff with harder and stiffer outer plies? Probably not because they are so thin (5.2 and 5.3 mm)?
Yasaka Galaxya
Butterfly Amultart SI
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

So, rusttt, just what is the composition of this gorgeous thing? I'm assuming you've gone for relatively hard outers (high Janka and pretty stiff) with something lighter and softer on the inside? What have you got (thicknesses, weight, etc.) and what are you aiming for in terms of playing characteristics?

My first bespoke blade was 5.3mm 7 ply, kiri, core, 2 x white ash medials and ipe outers, basically a Nittaku Violin plus some thin layers of ipe - there are some pictures a few pages back.  So yes, very hard outers, medium stiff and it weighed 98g.  I loved it since I play drives and smashes more than loops when I'm in good position and the ball is the least bit higher than the net.  However I found it a little fast when I wasn't in control of the point and needed to block or chop something back.  While I did hit some of the best loops of my life with it, there was little margin for error compared to some of my other blades.  

The blade with the flared handle is intended to be a little slower, more flexible and lighter than the previous incarnation.  It's 5.2mm, ayous core, two limba medials and the aforementioned curly white ash outers. The handle is ebony and dyed maple burl. Ross thinks it will finish about 94g.

The blade with the ST handle is 5.2mm, 5 ply, kiri core, limba medial, and curly white ash outer. The handle is ebony and dyed black ash burl and somewhere around 74g.  It should be another notch slower, have some flex, and be better for looping.  This blade wouldn't have existed at all except that Ross made the ST handle first and it was way too pretty not to use it for something. 
Tassie52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 1:59am
So, rusttt, just what is the composition of this gorgeous thing? I'm assuming you've gone for relatively hard outers (high Janka and pretty stiff) with something lighter and softer on the inside? What have you got (thicknesses, weight, etc.) and what are you aiming for in terms of playing characteristics?
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Wowsers!!!  Spectacular indeed!  The thing that catches my eye the most is the surface veneer.  What on earth is it?  That is quite extraordinary figure.

Love it.  Clap

It's curly white ash. 
Tassie52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:24pm
Wowsers!!!  Spectacular indeed!  The thing that catches my eye the most is the surface veneer.  What on earth is it?  That is quite extraordinary figure.

Love it.  Clap
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2014 at 9:25pm
Some work in progress pictures, I'm surely biased, but I think these look spectacular!

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

So how does it play Ross??

I gave it a short try, but I wasn't happy with the rubber pairing.  I'm going to send it off to fatt, and he'll do a better job of putting it through its paces.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 7:27pm
So how does it play Ross??
Donic Li Ping Kitex
Donic Acuda S1 Turbo Max
Donic Coppa X3 Silver 2.0mm

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

Hi, Ross,
What are the thicknesses of each ply?

I corrected my earlier post where I indicated the thickness was 5.6mm.  It's actually 5.8mm.  The core is 2.05mm and the remaining plies are just a fraction over 0.6mm each.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
  Share Topic