Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
Author
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by speedspin speedspin wrote:

I might be interested in a custom blade like the Viscaria in dimensions & composition (carbon/arylate), but about 85 g in weight. PM me.  Thanks.

He doesn't use composite materials in his blades. Also, it would probably be more appropriate to contact him from his website, as he is probably in contact with multiple people at this point.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Sponsored Links

speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:59pm
I might be interested in a custom blade like the Viscaria in dimensions & composition (carbon/arylate), but about 85 g in weight. PM me.  Thanks.
Speedspin
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:52pm
Hey, no problem guys.  I always like how the sealer deepens the color and brings out the character of the wood.  For me, it's really the most rewarding stage of the building process - seeing the wood come alive.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:12pm
Sorry Ross, that's nothing on you or your workmanship...just my opinion on what appeals to me personally. 
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

Why does the grain on the blade look so much darker now that it is sealed? I didn't like the look very much without the sealer, but now I think it looks really nice. The sealer reduced the colour difference between the blade and the handle.

Yes it's better looking if you seal the handle. I usually seal my new blade's handle, and it looks nicer.
Ross, I would like to apologize for uploading the unfinished products, next time I will just upload the finished products Embarrassed
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Here is the finished products, what a nice looking blade!!!!

Why does the grain on the blade look so much darker now that it is sealed? I didn't like the look very much without the sealer, but now I think it looks really nice. The sealer reduced the colour difference between the blade and the handle.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I was wondering how heavy is a Sotto Voce with mahogany outer plies and how heavy is Speedy's 7-ply blade (white limba-koto-black limba & kiri core).

My blade is around 87grams.

I have it written down as a bit heavier than that at 92.4g

Wow... it felt like 87-88 grams only...
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:28pm
Here is the finished products, what a nice looking blade!!!!

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

I was wondering how heavy is a Sotto Voce with mahogany outer plies and how heavy is Speedy's 7-ply blade (white limba-koto-black limba & kiri core).

I have it written down as a bit heavier than that at 92.4g
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 2:30pm

SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by iliketurtles iliketurtles wrote:

So it's koto-ayc-ayous-ayc-koto?

I was actually referring to the top veneer, as it isn't the red koto that Ross has on his site.

I purchased some graphite-color dyed koto for this blade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Since Spruce isn't available, Ross offer me to use Alaskan yellow Cheddar which has similar hardness with Spruce.

I love cheddar, but I rarely use it in blades.  :)  Of course, peter79 was referring to alaskan yellow cedar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:40pm

Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

Sotto voce with Mahogany is 87gr. I suppose it also depends of template and if Ross "empties" the handle as he did for mine. He did it so softly that I don't even notice it.

That's my ideal weight!!! is the balance of your blade even? a bit head heavy?

My feeling is all high performance rubbers now are close to or over 50 grams cut so a bit handle heavy a blade can help to get a balanced final setup.

I am still debating over asking , when I order, a hollow handle or not because of that idea.

jcdi is quite right - the final weight depends on the size of the blade template that I use.  Unless requested otherwise, I aim for a neutral balance where the balance point is near the center point of the overall length.  I control the balance by the weight of the handle pieces, and will usually have to hollow them to achieve the balance.  If you have a specific target weight in mind, then I ignore balance and fine-tune the handle weight to hit the specified weight.  
iliketurtles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliketurtles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:38pm
So it's koto-ayc-ayous-ayc-koto?

I was actually referring to the top veneer, as it isn't the red koto that Ross has on his site.
1-Ply AH NWC - Butterfly Spin Art - Juic 999 Turbo
Tube Carbo - Andro Hexer HD - Donic Acuda S1 Turbo
Just waiting for the 999 Turbo...
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by iliketurtles iliketurtles wrote:

I am also going to be getting one of these blades Big smile

And Peter79, what is the composition of your blade?

You said hurricane king, but that doesn't look like the koto on the website, unless I have the plies of the HK wrong.

Actual Hurricane King is:

Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto

Since Spruce isn't available, Ross offer me to use Alaskan yellow Cheddar which has similar hardness with Spruce.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

iliketurtles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliketurtles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 12:34pm
I am also going to be getting one of these blades Big smile

And Peter79, what is the composition of your blade?

You said hurricane king, but that doesn't look like the koto on the website, unless I have the plies of the HK wrong.
1-Ply AH NWC - Butterfly Spin Art - Juic 999 Turbo
Tube Carbo - Andro Hexer HD - Donic Acuda S1 Turbo
Just waiting for the 999 Turbo...
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 12:26pm
Sotto voce with Mahogany is 87gr. I suppose it also depends of template and if Ross "empties" the handle as he did for mine. He did it so softly that I don't even notice it.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 12:24pm
Here is my custom Hurricane King shape and handle size which is the same as Latika spec.
The handle now need to be hollowed so that it's not handle heavy.

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

the composition came out of the email exchanges about likes, dislikes, must haves, etc.
I don't know the exact criteria right at this moment, but it was a combination of balance, weight, feel, stiffness and my "no balsa" clause; all together with a target speed range of ~All+.

"The blade composition is white obeche - anigre - kiri - anigre - white obeche."

Cant wait to hear how your new RL blade performs mmerkle.  What is the weight of that blade? 
It's just under 80g with a neutral to slight handle balance.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 5:25pm
I own one of these.  I am glad that I ordered it.  You guys also need to see the case go with it.  Ross, you need to upload a picture of one of those too.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 5:11pm

the composition came out of the email exchanges about likes, dislikes, must haves, etc.
I don't know the exact criteria right at this moment, but it was a combination of balance, weight, feel, stiffness and my "no balsa" clause; all together with a target speed range of ~All+.

"The blade composition is white obeche - anigre - kiri - anigre - white obeche."

Cant wait to hear how your new RL blade performs mmerkle.  What is the weight of that blade? 
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 4:29pm
Great! Just when I thought the Christmas spending was over you guys show me this! Angry

Now I must own one.

I hate it. I am feeling like Obama, spending all these money I don't have.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 2:41pm
I WILL own one of these blades in the near future when I get some funds. I've made the switch to All wood with my recent purchase of an Adidas V1.5, and have no desire to go back to composite layers.

Ross, I will be in contact with you soon. I have many qualities that would make my dream blade, I doubt it is even possible to make, but I'm convinced one of these will be the closest I'll get.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 2:41pm
I have one of Mr. Leidys blades and it is awesome.  Mine is something like an Acoustic so it is very well balanced.  The fit and finish on these blades is outstanding .  I would recommend them to anyone looking for a quality blade.  Honestly for the quality of blade you get the price is very reasonable.  I would not worry about labels or serial numbers you know right away looking at the blades who built them there is nothing else on the market like them,not even close...  One last thing his customer service is second to none, he works with you every step of the way building you exactly what you want. Great experience .  
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Ross doesn't need a mark, his blades are beautiful enough to distinguish from the rest.
+1; nice thought. 
inversely, one can argue that they are so beautiful they deserve a serial number and a delivery date (when they leave the creator's shop). Such data could add value to the collector's beloved item.
We'll see what happens in the future; maybe Ross is just testing waters right now and will decide one day about an official launch of the "RL" brand with such serial numbers, dates itou but... maybe he does not care and just has fun making handcrafted blades.

I have thought about adding a serial number to the blades, but the only way that I've found that will result in a quality result is by laser engraving.  And, I don't have the budget for one of them quite yet.  :)

How would the numbers would look if they were burnt....like a branding with a heated typeface?
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 11:58am
Hmmm.....I got some money for Christmas...and I like how these blades are turning out....maybe I should get a custom?  Wink
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 10:57am

Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Ross doesn't need a mark, his blades are beautiful enough to distinguish from the rest.
+1; nice thought. 
inversely, one can argue that they are so beautiful they deserve a serial number and a delivery date (when they leave the creator's shop). Such data could add value to the collector's beloved item.
We'll see what happens in the future; maybe Ross is just testing waters right now and will decide one day about an official launch of the "RL" brand with such serial numbers, dates itou but... maybe he does not care and just has fun making handcrafted blades.

I have thought about adding a serial number to the blades, but the only way that I've found that will result in a quality result is by laser engraving.  And, I don't have the budget for one of them quite yet.  :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 10:50am

Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

He could use different colour woods for those pieces at the end of the handle ; Like a very dark colour one side and light other side. That way it has a recognizable difference between both sides for fh and bh also without rubber.
Or for the griphalves with two dark and one light in the middle (post above on this page) reversed at one side ; two light, one dark.

If you look closely at the handle gallery on his page, you can see that he did handles with different designs on fh and bh side. 

Mike's quite right.  Here's a photo of a blade with a slightly different FH/BH.  Because of the extra assembly time and fitting involved, I do charge extra for handles like this.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 10:44am
Speedy - thanks for the generous reviews and for your willingness to give the blade a try at Nationals, no less.  Thumbs Up  I look forward to the next adventure.  
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

He could use different colour woods for those pieces at the end of the handle ; Like a very dark colour one side and light other side. That way it has a recognizable difference between both sides for fh and bh also without rubber.
Or for the griphalves with two dark and one light in the middle (post above on this page) reversed at one side ; two light, one dark.

If you look closely at the handle gallery on his page, you can see that he did handles with different designs on fh and bh side. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
  Share Topic