Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
Author
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2011 at 5:19am
He could use different colour woods for those pieces at the end of the handle ; Like a very dark colour one side and light other side. That way it has a recognizable difference between both sides for fh and bh also without rubber.
Or for the griphalves with two dark and one light in the middle (post above on this page) reversed at one side ; two light, one dark.

Edited by mercuur - 12/26/2011 at 5:21am

Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 8:34pm
Ross doesn't need a mark, his blades are beautiful enough to distinguish from the rest.
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by mizutani_jun mizutani_jun wrote:

Is arylate-carbon blade available?
Sorry, but I'm not building any composite blades at this time.  Perhaps someday, but not in the immediate future.
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/25/2011 at 7:44pm
Is arylate-carbon blade available?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

Very nice. What's the difference between the two blades?
Both blades use identical plies and differ only in the grain orientation of the core plies.  Frogger and I were interested in how a small difference would affect the character of the two blades blades.  Each blade has a core made up of 4 layers of 0.9mm obeche.  In blade #1, all the grain ran lengthwise - this would be closest to a solid core of 3.6mm.  In blade #2, the grain orientation of the center two plies was rotated to run side-to-side.  As expected, blade #2 had slightly more flex along its length and was slightly slower than #1.    As I recall, the difference between the blades was not great, but it was noticeable.  Frogger might be able to add to this comment.  He reviewed blade #1 here.

Thanks Ross for reposting the pics of the two blades. Yes I liked blade #1 with the vertical grains. It felt like it had a tic more pop and was just slightly faster. Both blades felt identical in weight and both played like a dream. I feel blade #2 would be perfect for a controled looper as blade #1 is perfect for hitting with a supporting loop. I have never owned such an addicting blade and I have owned well over a hundred or so over the years.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Reading your posts I was wondering if you had kiri cores (could not read about it on your website) and I got my answer Smile

I only recently found a source for kiri, and I still need to update the website.

I used to play the Mizutani Jun (one of the best offensive looping fast blades ever made) before I banned Butterfly from my tt life; this blade is close to it, the dyed red koto replacing the ZL carbon in the MJ composition (limba-zl carbon-limba-kiri-limba-zl carbon-limba). I might be next in line for a matching pair of those. Could a teak or paduk veneer do the same job than koto in the above blade composition?

Only Speedy has played this blade, so he might be able to compare it to the Mizutani Jun.  It does have a handle modeled directly from the ST Mizutani.  Speedy and I hashed out the composition over numerous emails, and in the end the blade didn't have quite the speed he was after.  An adjustment to the koto layer (switching it out for something harder) should bump it up a notch.  I currently do not have padauk veneer, but it is a possibility if it's a requirement.  Contact me offline if you'd like me to add you to the waiting list.

Like Ross mentioned, we had numerous emails going back and forth before we agree on a composition.  Before I compare to Mizutani, I have to say this first.  The reason I didn't get the speed that I want is because of me and had NOTHING to do with Ross.  Here is why.  I ask him to put a blade together with hardwood plies but the end product must be 85grams to 87grams.  It is almost impossible without using Balsa.  But, I didn't want to use Balsa core.  You might asked me why?  Well, because I was trying to make this blade similar to Mizutani and the speed between Viscaria and Mizutani.  So, at the end of the day, we actually got exactly what I designed for.  However, the feel is too good to be true.  Again why? Well, I am using pips and I thought that with 7-ply, it will be hard enough for my pips, but not really.  It feels so good that I could have use inverted rubbers on both sides.

Long story short, we got stuck with the dilemma: Weight vs. Speed, so I decided to go with weight and feel and sacrificed speed a little.  Basically, it came out exactly what we expected.

Now, I will tell you one thing I really like about Ross that he didn't mention.  During the design phase, I wanted a ST handle exactly like Mizutani.  Ross didn't have the router bits for the handle.  That's like a week before the Nationals.  He went out of his way and bought that router, finished the handle and the blade, sent the paddle to me, and I received the blade 2 days before the Nationals.  Just that alone, I would work with him any day.  This is why I took the blade for a test during my first match of the tournament.

Now, let me compare my blade to Mizutani Jun.  Here is the short version below:

Mizutani Jun

Plies: 3W+2 ZLCarbon (low throw)
Speed: 9+
Control: 7
Feel: 8
Comments:  This is a fast blade.  I used this for years.  This is a good blade if you want to end the rally quickly.

Leidy-Tran (7-ply) Thumbs Up

Plies: 7W (medium throw)
Speed: 8-
Control: 9
Feel: 9+
Comments:  This is a good control blade.  It's not good, it's GREAT.  It's not as fast as Mizutani Jun; however, it is very balanced.  Great feel on the ball.  Good for two wing loopers.  If you are looking for power from the blade, this is NOT for you.  If you are looking for consistent looping and counter-looping, this is a perfect blade.  If you have problem with blocking, this blade can also help you because it's very stable blade.

If you have any other questions, please post it on this thread so Ross and I can help to answer.

@Ross:  I will email you about our next adventure.  BTW, I hope that you don't mind... I named that blade as Leidy-Tran 7-Ply Wink

@All: Stand by for new blade with new combination.

Edited by speedy - 12/25/2011 at 9:44pm
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 10:46pm

This is beautiful work. What is the composition of Speedy's blade?

Thanks!  The composition is white limba - dyed red koto - black limba - kiri - black limba - dyed red koto - white limba.  Wow, I just now realized there's a lot of color adjectives in those plies!  :)

This is a great composition and great color combination (as you can see).  I saw a comment that someone said this is a stiff blade... well, not at all.  It's light and has a flex feel.  Perfect for looping from close to the table and mid-distance.  It has a feel of Innerforce ZLC and the speed between M. Maze and Timo Boll ZLF.  If you put a soft sponge rubber like T05 FX or T64, you will love it.  For short pips player like myself, I need to get a harder pips.  My pips are a little bit too slow for it.

BTW, I will work with Ross on a new combination.  It will be OFF to OFF+ with Balsa core.  I am looking forward to working on the next combination with him.  Stand by...
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 1:57pm
Thanks for posting Ross. 
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 1:14pm

Both blades use identical plies and differ only in the grain orientation of the core plies.  Frogger and I were interested in how a small difference would affect the character of the two blades blades.  Each blade has a core made up of 4 layers of 0.9mm obeche.  In blade #1, all the grain ran lengthwise - this would be closest to a solid core of 3.6mm.  In blade #2, the grain orientation of the center two plies was rotated to run side-to-side.  As expected, blade #2 had slightly more flex along its length and was slightly slower than #1.    As I recall, the difference between the blades was not great, but it was noticeable.  Frogger might be able to add to this comment.  He reviewed blade #1 here.
I must have missed that week....I don't remember seeing that thread at all. I'm just glad I found the other one.

#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 12:42pm
Carryboy asked me to post a few photos of his latest blade.  Earlier, I had sent him a similar demo blade, and he was so enthusiastic about it that he commissioned the one below.  Based on his comments to me about the blade, I'll definitely be adding this composition to my lineup.   It's a 5-ply OFF blade with a western red cedar core, and medium/medium-hard anigre for the medial and outer plies.  The handle is orange agate and east indian rosewood.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 12:00pm

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 10:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 7:36am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Hi Ross, hope you recieved Ultimate P #2 in good condition? I am having a blast with #1 (fantastic blade). It does everything like a dream....thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas!

Ultimate P #1
Yasaka Extend HS 2.0
BTY T05 FX 1.9

Hey frogger - yes, the blade arrived in top condition.  Please forgive me if I didn't follow-up with you after it arrived.  I'm glad to hear #1 is working out so well for you.

Mike - here are a few photos of the pair of blades:

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 5:11am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Hi Ross, hope you recieved Ultimate P #2 in good condition? I am having a blast with #1 (fantastic blade). It does everything like a dream....thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas!

Ultimate P #1
Yasaka Extend HS 2.0
BTY T05 FX 1.9
Do you have any pics of your Ultimate?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:50pm

Ultimate P #1
Yasaka Extend HS 2.0
BTY T05 FX 1.9
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:27pm

Reading your posts I was wondering if you had kiri cores (could not read about it on your website) and I got my answer Smile

I only recently found a source for kiri, and I still need to update the website.

I used to play the Mizutani Jun (one of the best offensive looping fast blades ever made) before I banned Butterfly from my tt life; this blade is close to it, the dyed red koto replacing the ZL carbon in the MJ composition (limba-zl carbon-limba-kiri-limba-zl carbon-limba). I might be next in line for a matching pair of those. Could a teak or paduk veneer do the same job than koto in the above blade composition?

Only Speedy has played this blade, so he might be able to compare it to the Mizutani Jun.  It does have a handle modeled directly from the ST Mizutani.  Speedy and I hashed out the composition over numerous emails, and in the end the blade didn't have quite the speed he was after.  An adjustment to the koto layer (switching it out for something harder) should bump it up a notch.  I currently do not have padauk veneer, but it is a possibility if it's a requirement.  Contact me offline if you'd like me to add you to the waiting list.

Should IPE do the job as it does for sotto voce ? Is it hard enough to replace Mizutani's Zylon ? At least it's harder than Koto.
Fatt, if you are looking to something as fast as Mizutani with much better feeling and control, no need to go for a 7 ply blade. Sotto voce with Mahogany outer is the way to go. 
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 9:53pm
wow a 7 ply blade
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 3:26pm

ttplayer92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttplayer92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 2:37pm
wow that seems like a stiff blade?
Butterfly Viscaria
FH Globe 999 National
BH Xiom Vega Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 2:17pm

This is beautiful work. What is the composition of Speedy's blade?

Thanks!  The composition is white limba - dyed red koto - black limba - kiri - black limba - dyed red koto - white limba.  Wow, I just now realized there's a lot of color adjectives in those plies!  :)
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Can you put the person's name in the handle Ross?  Also can you make combo blades for people that play with long pips or short pips on 1 side?
Thanks,
Dave

I would advise you against putting your name on it unless you are 111% sure you are keeping the blade (which you haven't even seen yet!). Better to put the blade's name on it - just come up with something impressive.
Are you kidding? Who would not want to have the initial of a guy, who I predict, will break 2200 rating soon? Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 12:24pm

I sent Ross an email yesterday after finding out about his website and I gotta say his blades look beautiful.  I think his blades are definitely a lot more expensive than your typical blade, but they look like a work of art and I definitely want to get one. 
Can you put the person's name in the handle Ross?  Also can you make combo blades for people that play with long pips or short pips on 1 side?
Thanks,
Dave
Thanks, Dave.  Right now, I don't have a way to brand or mark the blades, let alone personalizing them.  I've investigated a few options, but haven't found anything that I was 100% happy with and could afford.  :)  So for now, my mark is no mark at all.

I have made some combo blades.  I've not heard any reports of them warping, but as JimT indicates, it could be a long-term possibility.  For that matter, it could happen to symmetric blades as well due to unequal stresses within the wood.  That's the nature of natural materials. 
AlexB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 11:49am
This is nice looking blade.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 11:29am

Thanks,
Dave

I would advise you against putting your name on it unless you are 111% sure you are keeping the blade (which you haven't even seen yet!). Better to put the blade's name on it - just come up with something impressive.

As for combination blades - that is a very interesting question. I talked to Charlie Smith from BBC about that and he says that basically it is a very risky thing since it is really hard to make a combination blade which doesn't get gradually warped in a year or two - because of the diff in the expansion/contraction rates on the different sides of the blade when absorbing moisture or drying out.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:56am
I sent Ross an email yesterday after finding out about his website and I gotta say his blades look beautiful.  I think his blades are definitely a lot more expensive than your typical blade, but they look like a work of art and I definitely want to get one. 
Thanks,
Dave
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:37am
That is crazy!!!!!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
cool_natja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_natja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:23am
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

All... look at that handle and those plies... it's a very SEXY blade and very good control blade.  This is an OFF- to OFF blade.  Highly Recommended Clap

Ross:  Thank you for your hard work.

+1
A state of the art ! Too dear to play with ...

"Nothing replaces training" - Stellan Bengtsson
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:06am
All... look at that handle and those plies... it's a very SEXY blade and very good control blade.  This is an OFF- to OFF blade.  Highly Recommended Clap

Ross:  Thank you for your hard work.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Mike, how did you decide on the composition? This one is not Sotto Voce version, as far as I understand (SV uses balsa core, right, Ross?)
You are quite right - the Sotto Voce would have been too fast and too stiff to meet the requirements, not to mention its balsa core (and Mike specifically requested a no-balsa blade).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

Ross made me a blade right before the Nationals.  I used it at the Nationals, and it was an awesome experience.  I will definitely get a few more with different combinations.

Ross is very professional and take his work seriously.  We went through a series of email, and he always stayed on top of them, and answered them promptly and accurately.

@Ross:  Do you still have the pictures of my blade?  please post them, I'd like to share with everyone.
Hi Speedy,
It was a privilege to have a blade evaluated under battle conditions.  :)  I look forward to seeing what avenue we go down next.

Here are few photos of your blade:

Edited by Ross Leidy - 12/21/2011 at 10:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
  Share Topic