Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313233
Author
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

JimT,
the composition came out of the email exchanges about likes, dislikes, must haves, etc.
I don't know the exact criteria right at this moment, but it was a combination of balance, weight, feel, stiffness and my "no balsa" clause; all together with a target speed range of ~All+.
I don't have my notes/emails available right now, but I do recall that control and balance were at the top of the list.  The soft obeche outers are extra thick (0.9mm), so the blade should have tons of dwell.  The handle pieces were hollowed slightly to drop their weight by about 6g to give the blade a neutral balance and a final weight just under 80g.
Sponsored Links

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 12:12pm
Ross made me a blade right before the Nationals.  I used it at the Nationals, and it was an awesome experience.  I will definitely get a few more with different combinations.

Ross is very professional and take his work seriously.  We went through a series of email, and he always stayed on top of them, and answered them promptly and accurately.

@Ross:  Do you still have the pictures of my blade?  please post them, I'd like to share with everyone.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 11:50am
JimT,
the composition came out of the email exchanges about likes, dislikes, must haves, etc.
I don't know the exact criteria right at this moment, but it was a combination of balance, weight, feel, stiffness and my "no balsa" clause; all together with a target speed range of ~All+.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 11:42am
Mike, how did you decide on the composition? This one is not Sotto Voce version, as far as I understand (SV uses balsa core, right, Ross?)
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 11:35am
LUV the handle!! Quite stunning actually.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 11:26am
Originally posted by rookies rookies wrote:

How much does this blade cost?
Please contact me offline (PM or email) for pricing.
rookies View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 11:24am
How much does this blade cost?

Edited by rookies - 12/21/2011 at 11:24am
Timo Boll Spirit

FH: Hurricane 3 Neo

BH: Coppa X1 Turbo

My Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 10:56am
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

Ross, it was a pleasure to work with you on this blade.
The communication was exemplary and your input and explanations helped me make the right choices.
I know that I will call on you again in the future and I can HIGHLY recommend you to anyone that is looking for a custom blade that also has the WOW factor.
My biggest regret is that I can't properly play with the blade until after the winter break.
I will post a review once I had a chance to give it a good go.
Mike, thanks, I appreciate it.  I hope that you like the blade as much in person as in the photos.  I look forward to hearing your review once you get a chance to try it out.  Best of luck!
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 10:37am
Ross, it was a pleasure to work with you on this blade.
The communication was exemplary and your input and explanations helped me make the right choices.
I know that I will call on you again in the future and I can HIGHLY recommend you to anyone that is looking for a custom blade that also has the WOW factor.
My biggest regret is that I can't properly play with the blade until after the winter break.
I will post a review once I had a chance to give it a good go.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
TheRobot99 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRobot99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 10:26am
Why would anyone play with that blade?  It's too pretty to cover up with rubber....LOL
Ross Leidy Custom, DHS Hurricane III Neos, Nittaku Nodias

Xiom Fuga, Globe 999 National 39, Nittaku Nodias

JOOLA Torre All+, DHS Hurricane II #19 Sponge, Galaxy Moon 38

PTTC VP - 2011-12
van_doorn View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote van_doorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 9:48am
Wauw, looks amazing :O
Butterfly Harimoto sZLC
Butterfly Tenergy 05
Xiom Vega Japan

MyFeedbackSection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2011 at 9:20am
Hi folks,
I thought I'd start this general thread to provide a place for me to drop a few blade photos now and again.   While there's a similar thread running on OOAK, I think each can evolve independently, driven by whatever questions and comments happen to be posted.

To start things off, I just completed a blade for mmerkel, and I thought that his choice for the handle wood turned out so nicely that I asked him if I could post a few photos.    The blade composition is white obeche - anigre - kiri - anigre - white obeche.  The handle is masur birch and chakte viga.  Check it out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 313233
  Share Topic