Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 33>
Author
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Ross - a question for you (I apologize if this has already been answered in the past).

Can you paint/stain/dye/color the various plies to create a look something like this:

Your craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing, and the work you produce is literally breathtaking.

Thanks for your kind words.  I do have a source for various color of dyed veneers - mostly koto.  It would be possible to assemble a stack of different colored veneers to make a blade like that, but it would end up being pretty heavy with the koto core.
Sponsored Links

Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 8:29am
Thanks for your reply, Ross - I certainly understand how the accumulating weight would be a concern.

Regardless, I would love to (assuming your acceptance, of course) commission you for a blade soon, I just have to figure out what I'd like exactly.

Again, your work is truly inspiring and a joy for lifelong TT enthusiasts like myself to look at.

Edited by Pondus - 04/19/2012 at 8:31am
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 7:45am

I just got my blade from Ross and I decided to post some pics too. I like the outcome, it was hard for me to decide on the composition, thanks God, Ross is a patient and helpful person:) It is teak-amapa-spanish cedar-kiri-spanish cedar-amapa-teak, handle is indian rosewood and orange agathe. I don't know yet how it plays, I hope I will test it next week.

here is the link, maybe later I will resize the pics so I can post them in the thread:

Edited by mg - 04/24/2012 at 7:47am
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 8:01am
It's absolutely gorgeous (big surprise, eh Wink)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 8:49am
Eeeep!  Mine is on the way...

This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 10:38am
thanks:) yes, I think it's the first one with this kind of handle design. I couldn't decide wich one of the two options will look better, now I think both look great. And I like chess pattern anyway:)

Edited by mg - 05/04/2012 at 6:53am
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Eeeep!  Mine is on the way...

Nice handle, what wood is that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Nice handle, what wood is that?

It's spalted maple. 
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 1:13am
I've just play with Yeo clone, it's the same as Metalone's blade, but it's 89 gr, 5 gr lighter.
I try it together with my friend Sugengz. He plays with YEO all the time.
We both have the same opinion:
1. The custom blade is not as flexible as YEO.
2. It's not as springy as YEO
3. It's more powerful than YEO
4. It has better feel than YEO

For YEO user, this is an upgrade or a better version of YEO.
I found YEO top ply is thinner, while the spruce is thicker.
Ross's blade the top ply is thicker, while the spruce is thinner.
I think spruce makes the blade springy, I remember I use Kong Ling Hui wood, also spruce secondary layer with koto top ply, it's springy.

Overall I'm impressed by the feel and power of this YEO clone made by Ross Leidy, it's not only got a nice beautiful handle, but it's also nice and powerful to play.

I use H3 National+Roxon 500 pro The setup is 181 gr, which feel very balanced.
The handle is longer than my normal blade, it can suit small hand or large hand.

Edited by peter79 - 04/28/2012 at 1:16am
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 12:55pm
Peter - thanks for the review of your new blade.  I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the result!

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 2:14pm
Peter, that is your second blade from Ross ? What is the outer ply of the YEO clone ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Peter, that is your second blade from Ross ? What is the outer ply of the YEO clone ?
Walnut
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 8:54pm
Apologies if off topic, but I'm wondering if Ironwood as the  #2 & 4 layers would act as a sort of carbon layer.
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by swampthing swampthing wrote:

Apologies if off topic, but I'm wondering if Ironwood as the  #2 & 4 layers would act as a sort of carbon layer.

It probably will (even 0.5 mm of it) but it will be thicker and certainly heavier than regular layer of carbon...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

It probably will (even 0.5 mm of it) but it will be thicker and certainly heavier than regular layer of carbon...

I bet it would.  I haven't seen much mention of the use of Ironwood in TT... On the web, I only found a brief mention of someone's possession of 1 ply.  Heh, it is probably like swinging a marble slab. Smile 
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 10:54pm
Thanks Ross.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 4:23pm

Embarrassed LOL, after more reading/learning it would appear that this is already Mr. Leidy's strategy as Ipe is the medial layers in the Sotto Voce.  It's just not that clear from separate 'ipe' and 'ironwood' searches on the interweb that Ipe is considered Ironwood.

Edited by swampthing - 04/29/2012 at 4:23pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 9:22am
I just completed a blade for member Yakult, and he really pushed the envelope on handle design on this one.  I was a little hesitant to attempt it, but it turned out beautifully in the end.  The main handle woods are amboyna burl and masur birch.  Yakult requested a gloss finish to showcase the grain.  Here are a few photos of the result.

iamwardicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 10:00am
That handle is one of, if not the most, beautiful I have ever seen!   Amazing work Ross.
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 10:16am
Holy (insert long line of swear words)... Ross, your craftsmanship is mind-blowing.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 10:49am
Censored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two thumbs up, brilliant work, and the end product is just absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

What is the light colored wood of the Handle on this blade?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by iamwardicus iamwardicus wrote:

What is the light colored wood of the Handle on this blade?

That's masur birch (also called Karelian birch). 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 11:20am
I thought it was similar to the decorative stripes in Yakult's blade - Just wanted to be sure.     Stunning work Ross - You're continuing to push the envelope on beauty - keep it up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I guess we have to beg for them huh? Big smile
I think it's only you that want the edge photos.  Big smile  I don't have any yet, but I'll take some before I pack the blade for shipment.  It's a YEO-like blade, so nothing you haven't seen already.

Ross
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2012 at 2:10pm
Just when I thought Ross gave us the crown jewel of a blade he one ups us again! Man my brain can't take it anymore! LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 8:27am

what a wild guess! Clap don't bother if it's only for me.
I don't wish to see you suffer, so here's an edge photo.  Smile

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 10:22pm
Those fancy handles ! I am jealous but at the same time I am happy because I am a J-penner and I must stick to the cork. Otherwise I have to collect blades with two categories : performance and handle.
Sticking to J-pen restricts me from buying too many blades Big smile
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 10:33pm
im sure ross could make something up the back part of the top bit of cork . and leave the part that your finger wraps around /touches as cork :P
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2012 at 11:10pm

Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Those fancy handles ! I am jealous but at the same time I am happy because I am a J-penner and I must stick to the cork. Otherwise I have to collect blades with two categories : performance and handle.
Sticking to J-pen restricts me from buying too many blades Big smile
do you do RPB with JPEN?

His signiture suggests NO, but he has left a large scrolled down blank to be filled out
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 33>
  Share Topic