FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 33>
Author
thefred View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 7:14am
Indeed stunning job! Incredible craftsmanship ...
Most beautiful blade I ever seen.

You are not a 'blade Maker', you are an 'artist' Master Ross Leidy!

Just a question, is the handel not slippery when wet?

Edited by thefred - 05/17/2012 at 7:17am
Butterfly Timo Boll Spark
FH DHS Neo TG3
BH Palio CJ8000 Biotech 36-38 1.8mm

http://www.palette-bleue.net
Sponsored Links

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by decoi decoi wrote:

im sure ross could make something up the back part of the top bit of cork . and leave the part that your finger wraps around /touches as cork :P
like veneering the sides, top and back of the cork? great idea!

That is a very good idea ! I do not like part cork and part wood for the handle. According to my opinion, it is ugly (no offense meant for owners of that kind of blade).
And no, I don't do RPB.

I have one Sotto Voce J-pen on the way, weighing 67,1 grams ! It will be the lightest blade in my collection. Maybe Ross would post the pictures, but I am not sure because it looks just like a normal J-pen without fancy handle. However for me it is a special one due to the weight. I hope I would like the the blade in play.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by thefred thefred wrote:

Indeed stunning job! Incredible craftsmanship ...
Most beautiful blade I ever seen.

You are not a 'blade Maker', you are an 'artist' Master Ross Leidy!

Just a question, is the handel not slippery when wet?

Thanks, thefred.  I don't normally use a gloss finish, but even though it is smooth and won't absorb any moisture, it feels more grippy than slippy when playing.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

I have one Sotto Voce J-pen on the way, weighing 67,1 grams ! It will be the lightest blade in my collection. Maybe Ross would post the pictures, but I am not sure because it looks just like a normal J-pen without fancy handle. However for me it is a special one due to the weight. I hope I would like the the blade in play.

Here are a couple photos:

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

I just completed a blade for member Yakult, and he really pushed the envelope on handle design on this one.  I was a little hesitant to attempt it, but it turned out beautifully in the end.  The main handle woods are amboyna burl and masur birch.  Yakult requested a gloss finish to showcase the grain.  Here are a few photos of the result.

WOW!!!  Great job Ross, this is truly a masterpiece.  Looks like I have to have my wife come up with an even more difficult handle design to top this one off for my next blade from you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

sotto voce with what kind of outer plies?
The outers are alaskan yellow cedar.  Sorry, no close edge photos.  Smile  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

WOW!!!  Great job Ross, this is truly a masterpiece.  Looks like I have to have my wife come up with an even more difficult handle design to top this one off for my next blade from you.
I think I'm in big trouble now.Big smile
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2012 at 6:25pm

I think I'm in big trouble now.Big smile

In big trouble you are Mr. but not for another few months LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2012 at 3:32pm
I built a pair of blades for Carryboy recently and promised to share a few photos with the group.  These are the same composition as I built for him before: anigre(x2)-WRC-anigre-european beech.  Handles are peruvian walnut and masur birch.  

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2012 at 12:41pm
Dang, that masur birch is popping up ALL over the place! Wink
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 2:06am
Fantastic Blade(s) Ross!!!!!, Thanks for posting.
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2012 at 4:45pm

Just a few pictures of the beast prepped and ready to go. It is a monster!!

I have been playing with this blade, well one of them for a week now and pretty much everything described in my review on this blade design remains the same. However a few changes were made which was increasing the size of the handle by 1.5mm (25.5mm x 105mm) which a big difference in the balance and feel of the blade. The second was using a WRC core which was a lot straighter in its grain pattern. The result was a blade around 2.5 to 3 grams lighter than the original samples I had gotten before (This blade is 85 grams). I am using Tibhar Aurus Soft max fh and Donic Desto F3 BS 2.0 bh. The blade is a true Off, very linear in its behavior with tons of control. The best part of it is the sound of this blade with the Aurus rubber, it cracks like a whip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Carryboy - 05/22/2012 at 5:25pm
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
vclara99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vclara99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 4:04pm

I just completed a blade for member Yakult, and he really pushed the envelope on handle design on this one.  I was a little hesitant to attempt it, but it turned out beautifully in the end.  The main handle woods are amboyna burl and masur birch.  Yakult requested a gloss finish to showcase the grain.  Here are a few photos of the result.

Am in Love
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 3:28pm
Tommy has two new toys and a third in development. Shhh, don't tell g/f. :-) Updated pics coming soon . . .

Edited by tommyzai - 06/12/2012 at 1:27pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 3:40pm
Hey Yo Tommy - Is that top ply the same wood as the Violin?  If you don't mind, please share the material information.  Thanks,

Carryboy - What did you just do??? omg, what did you do to the handle?  Now it looks like my Primorac OFF- Smile.

Edited by mhnh007 - 06/06/2012 at 3:41pm
Gauguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gauguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Tommy has two new toys and a third in development. Shhh, don't tell g/f. :-)

Wonder what is the wood composition on your blade Tommy???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 3:47pm
It's like a Violin/YEO hybrid.  White ash outers (Violin), white ash medial on one side (Violin), ayous core (YEO), spruce medial on one side (YEO).
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 3:47pm
nice cpen and shakehand combo Tommy, and good job for the marvelous blades Ross.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Hey Yo Tommy - Is that top ply the same wood as the Violin?  If you don't mind, please share the material information.  Thanks,

Carryboy - What did you just do??? omg, what did you do to the handle?  Now it looks like my Primorac OFF- Smile.

It does!!!
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 8:07pm
Yeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaw!!!
RL Avalanche#2 in my hands - Right now!
Glued up the rubbers, bounced around the ball a bit...OMG I can't wait til Monday when I can play again.
*Breathe deeply...Calm down*
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2012 at 9:16pm
YEOlin! It's the way to go!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2012 at 1:23pm
The dynamic duo is almost in my hands . . . 

Edited by tommyzai - 06/12/2012 at 1:31pm
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2012 at 1:34pm
They are YEOlins . . . 
Weight is 8.34g
Thickness is about 5.6mm
white ash-white ash-ayous-spruce-white ash

Notice the medial plies are different.

Edited by tommyzai - 06/14/2012 at 2:17pm
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2012 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

They are Violin/YEO/OC hybrids . . .
Weight is about 84g
Thickness is about 5.6mm
white ash-spruce-ayous-limba-white ash

Notice the medial plies are different. One side is a Violin/YEO hybrid and the other is a Violin/OC hybrid. :-).

Such a beautiful blade.  I wonder if it's noticeable different between the 2 sides, and also which side do you intend it to be the FH side? BTW - I will keep an eye on the FS section from here on out Smile.
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2012 at 3:04pm
I played with my RL Avalanche #2 for the first time last night. It was (almost) no adjustment to get back into it. I went back to about 90% of where I left off and my enjoyment of TT just doubled. Everything seemed to just go better again and beat my training partner (lost to him in the last tourney) handily. Wednesday can't come soon enough Big smile
Ross, great work on the second coming of Avalanche Thumbs Up
Plays identical to the first one as far as I can tell (and that is the only opinion that matters).
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 3:35am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

BTW - I will keep an eye on the FS section from here on out Smile.

LOL.... we should start a pool to see how many days after tommy receives the blade he would put it in the FS section.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 8:17am
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

I played with my RL Avalanche #2 for the first time last night. It was (almost) no adjustment to get back into it. I went back to about 90% of where I left off and my enjoyment of TT just doubled. Everything seemed to just go better again and beat my training partner (lost to him in the last tourney) handily. Wednesday can't come soon enough Big smile
Ross, great work on the second coming of Avalanche Thumbs Up
Plays identical to the first one as far as I can tell (and that is the only opinion that matters).
That's great to hear, Mike.  Best of luck today.
Tobhik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobhik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 10:01pm
Up to now, I haven't seen any composite blade from Ross.

Is it difficult to get carbon or arylate or zylon or whatever or is it difficult to assembly those materials?

Wink
LP ox
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2012 at 10:24pm
he has done one carbon blade for tommy zai called the Red Hammer
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2012 at 11:00pm
I finally ordered a blade from Ross Leidy and Ross helped me chose a composition of
Masur Birch - Mahogany - Kiri - Mahogany - Masur Birch 
This is a picture of the wood cut out to shape.
I told Ross to create a design for the handle so lets see what he does with it!

Edited by shay2be - 06/18/2012 at 11:17am
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 33>
  Share Topic