Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 33>
Author
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 12:04pm
Ross Leidy Ayous core prototype evaluation. Ross can you post pics on this one please?

Test rubbers: BTY Bryce 1.9 Blade weight: 86gr, Compact blade shape.
Sweetspot: above average. Estimated class OFF-

General Impression: Another beauty Ross has bestowed upon my mortal self to test.
The squared ST grip felt a lot like the old BTY Kenny Pro basswood blade from decades ago. It had a slightly flatter, smaller feel than the kiri-core model ST.

Flex was more pronounced and sweet spot slightly smaller but still above average among blades.
Short Game:
pushes felt comfortable and secure but did not have the direct feel of like kiri core model.

blocks felt very nice with excellent feedback as to strength of incoming ball.

flicks where medium-fast but lacked a bit of punch compared to kiri-core model.

Looping: Excellent close/mid, a bit of effort away but a thicker sponged tensor would help this. Outstanding top spin production.

Counter Looping. A bit higher throw than kiri-core model with very good feedback of incoming ball. Speed very good close/mid.

Chopping: A bit more flex than kiri-core model. Chopping felt a bit more comfortable mid distance Better control but lacked that solid feel of kiri-core model.

Hitting: Excellent close/mid. More than enough speed to gain the point. Did not have the top end punch of kiri-core model but not a negative just different due to added flex of blade.

Overall I believe this blade would benefit a double wing controlled looper close/mid with excellent control for the short game.

It was an honor to test these two blades as I don't have the scientific technical expertise as others do here on this forum. I sincerely hope I have given everyone a good idea of how these two blades will perform. Thanks a million Ross, you are a true artist and everyone is glad you are one of us. :)

Edited by frogger - 03/04/2014 at 12:34pm
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Sponsored Links

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 12:13pm
Frogger - thanks for taking the time to evaluate the blades and provide the review.  Much appreciated.

Here are a few photos of the ayous-core blade.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 1:46pm
Ross,
Another amazing looking blade. The head shape looks different from standard blades - is there any advantage to this shape or is it just artistic. 

Thanks

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 2:05pm
So Frogger and Ross- Is the difference in the two blades the Core Ayous compared to Kiri? Are the middle and outer Douglas Fir and POC for both blades?
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Ross,
Another amazing looking blade. The head shape looks different from standard blades - is there any advantage to this shape or is it just artistic. 

It's the same shape as the one in the previous set of photos - 157x150.  Perhaps the angle of the photo makes it look different.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

So Frogger and Ross- Is the difference in the two blades the Core Ayous compared to Kiri? Are the middle and outer Douglas Fir and POC for both blades?
Yes, that's correct.  Also, the ayous core is slightly thinner.  To boost the stiffness, increase the sweet spot, and reduce vibration, I went to a thicker core on the companion blade.  I didn't want to increase the weight of the blade, so I switched to a kiri core.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 2:19pm
ChrisUK, you have a nice collection going on. Look forward to seeing the fifth!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2014 at 2:29pm
I would like to see an advanced player say 2200 or above to give their feedback on these two blades to compare to my findings if Ross is willing of course. Both blades smelled great! Yes I said smell. Douglas Eu De Toilet. :) My French sucks.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2014 at 5:10am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I would like to see an advanced player say 2200 or above to give their feedback on these two blades to compare to my findings if Ross is willing of course. Both blades smelled great! Yes I said smell. Douglas Eu De Toilet. :) My French sucks.
+1
Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

ChrisUK, you have a nice collection going on. Look forward to seeing the fifth!!!

Thanks

The fifth is still being constructed but here are a couple of "work in progress" photos of the blade. It's the same construction as my very first blade which is based on the Nittaku Vioncello (2 x white ash / Kiri core @ 3.25mm / 2 x white ash).

At this stage the blade has just had a coat of sealer on it. However the handle will be finished in gloss and that's when the colours will really pop out!

-----

For reference, the black sections off the handle (gaboon ebony) will be finished to look like this:

And the red maple burl stripes will pop out like this:

Edited by ChrisUK - 03/06/2014 at 3:16am
The Twiddler
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 9:07am
Those pics are killing me. Incredible examples of Mr. Leidy's skill.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 1:11pm
Oh boy, a rubber on it  will be pure defilement

Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 3:15pm
If there is a Mount Rushmore for table tennis blades making, Ross will definitely take one of the four heads.
elfanta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elfanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 3:20pm
Wow, you really make great tt blades, awesome. For sure, I'll have one in the near future, your blades are beautiful.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

If there is a Mount Rushmore for table tennis blades making, Ross will definitely take one of the four heads.
That's a good one LOL.
Many people are now fighting their way to get one of the remaining 3 spots.

OK I can't help it: I we had an Easter Island for tt used gear sellers, liulin04 would definitely have his statue.

ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 3:23pm
It's finished and WOW!!

Ross you're an artist!!

The Twiddler
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 3:26pm
Amazing! BTW, the Fellowship of the Blade, which features three Ross blades is still alive. JOIN US!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2014 at 3:35pm
Seeing those blades makes me want to roll in a mud hole and sing the national anthem!
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by ChrisUK ChrisUK wrote:

It's finished and WOW!!
Ross you're an artist!!

Hi Chris - I'm glad you liked how it turned out. Every time I make a ebony handle I think I would like to have one for myself. One of these days....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 6:34pm

People have said that I have a big head.   
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 7:27pm
ChrisUk, is that the blade……...........
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 7:28pm
Help I can't breath!!!!
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 8:22pm
Should we show them my blades Ross that you have done.... This last one is just darn right nasty!  

Ross is to blade making as Michaelangelo is to the Sistene Chapel or Leonard Di vinci is to painting Mona Lisa's or Picasso is to ear chopping...  
Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by watchski watchski wrote:

Rooss is to blade making as Michaelangelo is to the Sistene Chapel or Leonard Di vinci is to painting Mona Lisa's or Picasso is to ear chopping...  
ummm... Would that be Van Gogh is to ears?
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

People have said that I have a big head.   

Well in that case, your Rushmore head will cover the other three heads.  The other three will be headless Tongue
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2014 at 11:35pm
Haaa love it. Picasso.... Van Gogh.... Who knows.
I was daydreaming of the 1996 table tennis bronze medal during art classes.

Nevertheless, ross should post a pic or two of my most recent blade.   I am fearful of posting one as I have been hiding this delightful work of art from my wife.   
Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 8:11am
Originally posted by watchski watchski wrote:

Nevertheless, ross should post a pic or two of my most recent blade.   I am fearful of posting one as I have been hiding this delightful work of art from my wife.   

Here you go.  

This handle has a satin finish where Chris' has gloss. Both are ebony and dyed big leaf maple burl.

Edited by Ross Leidy - 03/10/2014 at 8:29pm
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 12:01pm

Help I can't breath!!!!

Yes, I had that reaction as well LOL

Ross - If you read this, do you know what the final weight of my blade was? I think it was well under the weight of the first blade that you made me using the same construction / woods Clap

Edited by ChrisUK - 03/10/2014 at 12:33pm
The Twiddler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by ChrisUK ChrisUK wrote:

Help I can't breath!!!!

Yes, I had that reaction as well LOL

Ross - If you read this, do you know what the final weight of my blade was? I think it was well under the weight of the first blade that you made me using the same construction / woods Clap

Chris, it's just under 84g.
watchski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2014 at 5:03pm
It plays with a sweet spot so large, that I can hit nearly any shot from anywhere with any part of the blade...  ITs an amazing blade.  
Blades:
Ross Leidy (Nemesis)
Ross Leidy (Canxan)
Ross Leidy (Rapscallion)
Infinity VPS

Rubbers:
Nittaku S-1
Tenergy 80FX 1.9mm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 33>
  Share Topic