Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 33>
Author
tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I would like to see an advanced player say 2200 or above to give their feedback on these two blades to compare to my findings if Ross is willing of course. Both blades smelled great! Yes I said smell. Douglas Eu De Toilet. :) My French sucks.

Happy to throw my hat in the ring. It's nearly the end of the season here, for both local and British League, so I can do some testing without compromising matches. I'm a former England top 5, and would confidently guess I'm over 2200 in US terms. I'll even do a video!
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
Sponsored Links

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2014 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by tabten5 tabten5 wrote:

Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I would like to see an advanced player say 2200 or above to give their feedback on these two blades to compare to my findings if Ross is willing of course. Both blades smelled great! Yes I said smell. Douglas Eu De Toilet. :) My French sucks.

Happy to throw my hat in the ring. It's nearly the end of the season here, for both local and British League, so I can do some testing without compromising matches. I'm a former England top 5, and would confidently guess I'm over 2200 in US terms. I'll even do a video!

tabten5 - the blade is currently out for another eval, but when it returns we can discuss this further.  Thanks!
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2014 at 10:42am
I thought I'd provide a brief update after playing a few games with my new blade (pictured on the previous page). It’s always a little nerve-wracking pulling out a new blade in a league match, but I've always found that it's just best to go straight into battle and try not to think too much about things.

For the record, the very first blade Ross made me and this latest blade are of the same construction - Two layers of white ash either side of a kiri core. The first blade Ross made for me towards the end of 2011 and this blade was made a couple of weeks ago. However, using the same woods and the same dimensions, Ross has managed to shave almost 10g off the weight of the blade - The first blade was 93.1g and the latest is 83.8g. Overall (with rubbers on) the old blade is 156g and the new blade is 144g. So fairly light! This drop in weight is noticeable, especially when looping and flicking the wrist. It's just a lot easier with the new blade due to the lighter weight.

Next, the drop in weight may have something to do with the difference in feel between the two. When the ball made impact on the old blade, it felt soft and dull. On the new blade you feel more vibration through the handle and can feel the ball on the blade a lot better. It feels more direct and positive, which leads to improved control. Quite simply it feels as if I can place the ball with much more accuracy onto the table.

Finally (and I don't know why it is) but the spin I can generate is off the chart! I used to get a lot of spin with my old blade but this one is just crazy. I've played two long pip players with it over the past few days and normally when I loop, they would chop the ball back loaded with backspin. Well when looping with this blade, their chops either fly off the end of the table, or fly up high (some were flying up so high they were hitting the ceiling!).

I can only put this increase in spin down to two things which are the lighter weight allowing me to "whip" the blade when making contact with the ball and the newer and lighter kiri core that Ross is now using. I’ll say this now, I have NEVER had this amount of control and spin EVER!! Not from any other blade!

So a big thank you to Ross is due for making such a fantastic blade and of all the blades I've had from him, it is by the far the best yet.

Edited by ChrisUK - 03/18/2014 at 11:08am
The Twiddler
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

http://boudour.com/mttn/rl2014/

I wanted plies coming harder coming out from the core to the outer plies hence mahogany (harder than kiri) and ipe (harder than mahogany); the point is to marry better the hard sponge rubbers I like on the fh.

MAYBE IT'S ALL IN MY HEAD but I was tired of the softish hinoki outer under the Rhyzm 48; the Rhyzm is such a great rubber at $40 so I've got to keep it; I wanted something hard to support the rubber's hard sponge.

I DO NOT BELIEVE in hard sponge on soft outer! today I just find it dumb; if I want to take advantage of hard sponge I must make sense and get hard outer to offer a strong base on which the sponge may better stretch on and bounce from.

On the bh, the white ash was just a tribute to the Violin with a harder base. I had no special idea about it; I just remember how well I played with it; the black limba medial is a no nonsense choice and no doubt many other veneers could have done it.

I did not want to go for anything not well proven for a solid core in an OFF-/OFF blade and Kiri does just that.

The handle is very cool as usual; I wanted something made out of burl since the first time I saw some (Van Gogh handle a while ago) and now it is done.

pfiewwww....I could not stand not being in the club and here I am.

I thought it would be a collectible piece when I designed it but at 86.7 grams it actually fits all what I was looking for in a highly playable 5-ply and it actually is; or will be when it comes to me (currectly in the mail).

My first play time with it will be Saturday at a league. I surely cant wait.
You're actually going to play with it? It's a work of art as usual. Can't wait for the review - hope your chosen combination will perform to your expectations. If not it can always be a display piece. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 6:53pm
yes I will; I always use wilson tennis grip that adds 4 grams to the handle and covers all of it including the thumb rest. also I am not a collector; more like a user; at least I want to be.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 7:17pm
fatt, you're going to cover that handle?!?! I'm sorry, but I think that qualifies as a crime against humanity.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2014 at 7:32pm
I just want to play with the blade and I do protect the handle on all of them. Here the 3 fingers grip over the bulge covered with tennis grip will be so efficient for bananattacking short serves.
asimriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asimriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 2:01pm
WOW JUST WOW ! I've heard Ross' name for quite a while now but I've only recently looked at his. Yes I've been living under a rock Tongue What can I say, this is true talent. Nuff said !
Donic Ovtcharov Carbospeed (FL)
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc S-1 (max)

Donic Epox Powercarbon (FL)
FH: Andro Rasant Turbo (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc C-1 (max)
asimriz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asimriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2014 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by watchski watchski wrote:

Ross,

I double dog dare you to post some pics of the new blade that you just made for me.  It arrived on Friday by the way!

Its spectacular!  

Thank you!

Yes, it did turn out nice.  The design is modeled after that of the Violin, but with the red stripes replaced by blue maple burl.

Simply beautiful & exquisite (tear rolls down one eye)
Donic Ovtcharov Carbospeed (FL)
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc S-1 (max)

Donic Epox Powercarbon (FL)
FH: Andro Rasant Turbo (max)
BH: Nittaku Fastarc C-1 (max)
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 5:20am
I think, it`s time to present my two new Ross Leidy blades. Big smile

I have played with three Ross Leidy blades up to now. All of them were looking wonderful, but they were also a bit too bouncy for my game. So I decided to choose a composition, which shouldl be a bit stiffer and with more control. I contacted Ross and we decided to use amapa (similar to koto) with an ayous core. That`s a funny composition, because up to now I thought, "triple A" (AAA) would be the highest ranking. 

Now we have a new leader: a "Quintuple-A" blade (Amapa - Amapa - Ayous - Amapa - Amapa). Wink

Of course such a blade needs a fine handle. I told Ross, that it should look a bit classic, but also very special and after some emails we found a very good combination of "turquoise blue maple burl" with a stripe of "quilted maple".

Now I am proud to present the wonderful result: my new Ross Leidy Emerald

Of course it`s a long journey from US to Germany and the Emerald would be very lonely all the time. The solution was clear: another blade should go with Emerald. Embarrassed

One of the best 5-ply-blades ever (in my eyes) is the Nittaku Violin. It is one of the blades, which I will never sell. I like the white ash outer veneer. Besides the Violin I also own a Violoncello (with a bigger head) and a Nexy Lissom (7-ply). 

When I noticed the Violoncello-clone of "ChrisUK", I decided, to get my own Violin-clone, but with a more normal head (15,8 x 15,2 cm like Tenor or Latika).

The handle should also get the "stripe-look" from the Emerald, but with less contrast. We choosed a combination of "birdseye maple" with a stripe of "mopani".

Another wonderful blade is born: the Ross Leidy Viola

Now I am waiting nervously for the arrival of these beauties. I don`t know, if one of them will become my main playing-blade, but one thing is sure: both will be a highlight in my showcase. Big smile

Thanks again Ross for a perfect service, great craftsmanship and a very nice contact. Thumbs Up
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 5:29am
Yummy! As stunning as the blue maple is, I love both the quilted and the birdseye maple.  Spectacular work, and I hope that Emerald gives you the control you're looking for.

Nice work, Magic_M and Ross.
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 10:32am
Both blades are amazing! What is the wood composition of the Viola? Both handles are off the charts.
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 11:33am
The composition of the Viola is the original composition of Nittaku Violin:
white ash - white ash - kiri - white ash - white ash
kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 5:02pm
The Emerald is really beautiful !!!
If it plays as well as it is nice, it can be a wonder blade Thumbs Up
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 5:48pm
Stunning work from Ross and great blades Magic_M.

I can tell you that my Violin clone is the best blade Ross has ever made me. I have also owned a Nittaku Violin and Violoncello and Ross' blade surpasses them in terms of control, spin and feel. Ross' blades don't just look good, then play really well as well!!
The Twiddler
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2014 at 7:20pm
nice blades, what are the weights and thicknesses of the blades?
thanks

Edited by emihet - 04/12/2014 at 7:24pm
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 2:14am
That`s a question for Ross, because I am still waiting for these beauties.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2014 at 2:17am
wow, excellent work on the Emerald Ross!!!  Superb job on the Viola as well!!!

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:00am
I have never played that well since i started. All my self confidence is back. I tought i was done and going down and here i am probably at my best level ever.

Ok...stopping smoking a pack a day (3 weeks 100% free) plus getting rid 100% of the booze 6 months ago helped a lot but can't explain it all.

The hard outer ply for the rhyzm max does wonders, especially in opening loops. The hits v. Backspin are back and better than ever. That was my bread n butter...IT'S BACK!!!
Finally the cheap lkt rapid speed gives super stable bh shots.

Needless to say i got a winner. I feel a bit lucky even though the idea made sense.

The vase handle is also a great choice for bh loops and bananas. Highly recommended.

Thanks Ross.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 4:39am
I am always excited when i read Fatt toughts.
I feel happy for you man,hope you will finally found your soulpeace and now you are relief.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I have never played that well since i started. All my self confidence is back. I tought i was done and going down and here i am probably at my best level ever.

Ok...stopping smoking a pack a day (3 weeks 100% free) plus getting rid 100% of the booze 6 months ago helped a lot but can't explain it all.

The hard outer ply for the rhyzm max does wonders, especially in opening loops. The hits v. Backspin are back and better than ever. That was my bread n butter...IT'S BACK!!!
Finally the cheap lkt rapid speed gives super stable bh shots.

Needless to say i got a winner. I feel a bit lucky even though the idea made sense.

The vase handle is also a great choice for bh loops and bananas. Highly recommended.

Thanks Ross.

I'm glad to hear that your scheming paid off!  Best of luck with the new blade.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 2:30pm
i will never be able to ross leidy blades. they are such work of art.. i will freak out worrying about hitting them against table.

So anybody serves mid-short... i can never attack that shot... even though the blades i understand could be excellent in looping and driving.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2014 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

i will never be able to ross leidy blades. they are such work of art.. i will freak out worrying about hitting them against table.

So anybody serves mid-short... i can never attack that shot... even though the blades i understand could be excellent in looping and driving.
+1

likewise, I won't be able to pull off the rubber of it if I ever gonna stick one in worries of splintering those veneers.. hence, for a serious player, a blade tailored to him is unique and regards it as his priciest possession. Wink

Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 7:14am
Ross,
Is making the handle the most complex part of the blade construction? How much time does it take make the handles compared to the total blade?
These handles just look amazing!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Ross,
Is making the handle the most complex part of the blade construction? How much time does it take make the handles compared to the total blade?
These handles just look amazing!

Most definitely the handle is where I spend the majority of the time - even on simpler ones. I'd estimate it's at least 70% of the time - even more on complex handles.
spinitgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinitgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2014 at 2:48pm
I am now in the Ross Leidy Experience club. The initiation is nearly complete and was composed of everything from the agonizing 4 month wait (from the first e-mail to receiving the blade), the discussion of every detail, the regular update pictures as the blade is being made, and, of course, the handsome looking finished blade!

The goal was to try to recreate a Joola Fetzner Carat, which I used to play with in the 90s. The only info we had about the blade was its wood composition (mahogany, mahogany, spruce, mahogany, mahogany) and that it was rated as OFF-. Spruce cores were not something that Ross had tried but he was intrigued and agreed to go ahead with it. He could find a cheap source of spruce and we were on our way. Ross went out of his way to first build an experimental blade to have a feel for how thick the core should be and tried it out himself before he even got started on mine. This is definitely what I call service! I will let him comment on the experimental blade (which also looks fantastic). For mine, we ended up settling on a 3.5mm thick core (.3mm thicker than the experimental blade for enhanced speed).

I could not decide on the handle and so I got different designs for the 2 sides. The handle turned out to be the most difficult set of decisions to make!

The blade is in the mail and I should get it Monday or Tuesday. I should be able to try it later this week and will definitely post a review.

Here are some pictures:

Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 10:31am
My first Ross Leidy Blade is completed. I can't wait to play with it.

Composition is

outer ply is port ordford cedar: 1mm
medial ply is Alaskan yellow cedar : 0.7mm
core ply Kiri: 2.9mm
Handle- Hawaiian Koa (gloss) Lightning Bolt- American Holly
Blade Name- "White Lightning"

Edited by Toprank - 05/02/2014 at 11:28am

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 6:42pm
Woohoo! Way to go! Now we're really pushing the master craftsman.

How do you expect the blade to play? Weight?
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 7:04pm
white lightning, insane.  This must be Zeus' paddle!  You must be pretty brave to steal Zeus' blade. 
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Woohoo! Way to go! Now we're really pushing the master craftsman.

How do you expect the blade to play? Weight?

The blade I'm hoping plays about off- but we'll see. It came in at 81.3 grams according to ross. I haven't got it yet. The dimensions are 156 x 149 I believe. I wanted something different hence the lightning bolt. Kind of a thought of mine from the movie the Natural and wonder boy bat. I've been a fan of hinoki carbon blades and wanted the POC and the AYC top and medial plies. There supposed to be hinoki like. I'll be throwing Haifu Blue Whale on the FH and Acuda S2 on the backhand when I get it.

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 33>
  Share Topic