Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 33>
Author
ChickenJesus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChickenJesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 7:42pm
Ross, I am interested in making a blade for myself and am rather new to the woodworking scene. Would White ash--Spruce--Kiri--Spruce--White ash be a viable combination (blade thickness will be around 6.4 mm total)? I generally perceive myself as a power looper. Any feedback on the strengths/weaknesses of this setup would be great :)
Sponsored Links

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2014 at 11:15pm
Puzzling, you mean more like Maddening!!

WOW!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by ChickenJesus ChickenJesus wrote:

Ross, I am interested in making a blade for myself and am rather new to the woodworking scene. Would White ash--Spruce--Kiri--Spruce--White ash be a viable combination (blade thickness will be around 6.4 mm total)? I generally perceive myself as a power looper. Any feedback on the strengths/weaknesses of this setup would be great :)

That's definitely a viable composition.  With the spruce and kiri, it's going to be pretty lightweight, so it may take more muscle when playing off-table.  However, for a spin-oriented game the resilient ash and soft inner plies should make a good pairing.   Glue it up, try it out, and let us know!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 10:40am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

"Glue it up, try it out, and let us know!"

that could very well be be the nicest slogan a table tennis custom blade builder ever said or wrote.

Aww, shucks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 11:06am
LOLLOL
ChickenJesus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChickenJesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2014 at 8:53pm
Thanks Ross, I might compensate with heavy rubbers and handle :) I'll definitely report once I get it done!
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 11:23am
So it is my turn to get one!

I play the Butterfly Mizutani Jun, and after reading through this thread it seems I could get some help from others that have gone for similar composition.

CALLING FATT AND SPEEDY!!!

Any suggestions for my blade?

The first review of Ross' blades similar to MJ are on pg 2 and 7 for those reading.

My favorite thing about the MJ is it's feel, and lack of vibration. You reviewed your blade on page 2 (white limba-dyed red koto-black limba-kiri-black limba-dyed red koto-white lima) and said you loved it but there was vibration on harder swings. You also said it was a little slower. I can deal with a small change in speed but would like less vibration.

You also mentioned trying something harder than koto to make the blade faster.

Other suggestions for blades similar to MJ are Sotto Vocce with mahogany outer.

I would appreciate anyone's suggestions for a composition to reduce vibration or increase speed, while maintaining the looping qualities.

Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 5:49pm

It looks like a shadow of a man in the handle, hence "Shadow Man Blade".
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2014 at 9:41pm
reinecke you would love to play a LT-7; the sotto voce too; I would say the LT-7 is to the Mizutani what the Sotto Voce with with koto outer would be to the TB ALC; for costs reason you might want a Sotto Voce with limba outer; it would be a no nonsense can do it all blade with a wonderful feel and no vibrations at all thanks to the ipe medial plies giving structural super strength. 
I will be back to the sotto voce sometimes in the future.
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 3:01am
Here's a sneak peak of my latest blade that Ross is currently building me. I might be a little bias but I think it's an absolute masterpiece

The handle is American Holly outers, two blue maple with inclusions stripes and a centre stripe of blue sapphire. I think it already looks good and he handle has only been sanded. The finished handle will be gloss because it looks great but it'll also prevent the white holly from picking up dirt.

More photos to follow as it progresses.

Edited by ChrisUK - 07/10/2014 at 3:29am
The Twiddler
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 7:13am
Originally posted by ChrisUK ChrisUK wrote:

The handle is American Holly outers, two blue maple with inclusions stripes and a centre stripe of blue sapphire

Blue sapphire? What is that?

BTW, looking good. Yes for more photos, please.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Blue sapphire? What is that?

The center stripe was my last bit of some dyed sapphire blue Big Leaf Maple.  It's really something under a gloss finish.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 12:48pm
After watching the world cup - Maybe German or Argentinian person can commission Ross Leidy blade with a flag handle...
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

After watching the world cup - Maybe German or Argentinian person can commission Ross Leidy blade with a flag handle...

They may need to wait until Sunday
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2014 at 5:06pm
Here's another shot after an application of lacquer

The Twiddler
regiz.rugenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regiz.rugenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 8:05pm
Oh my Lord.. 
Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°
TKMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2014 at 10:27pm
All of blade that you made, look very nice!! Clap Clap Clap
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2014 at 8:34pm
Okay ChrisUK, I had to post mine since it's like the evil twin of yours.  

Composition is ipe, white ash, white ash, kiri, white ash, white ash, ipe.  Handle is ebony, blue maple outer stripes and a canxan negra burl center stripe where you have sapphire dyed maple.  I jokingly called it Violince since it's pretty much a supercharged Violin.

It came out a little heavy at 98g and I put about 100g worth of Tibhar 1Q/XD on there so it's not for the feint of heart (or arm). I thought it would be a pretty novelty and I was curious if fatt was on to something with the super hard wood/hard sponge theory, but I honestly didn't expect to use it that much.  Fact is, I haven't picked up any of the other blades in over a month now because I love this combo so much!  Not only that, I haven't bought any more blades or rubbers after averaging 3-4 blades a month since January with rubbers to match.  I figure Ross has already saved me about $400! 

It has great power when asked, which I expected, but the big surprise to me was how good it is for touch shots, and flicks.  I thought the ipe on the top layer would lead to low dwell time and low spin, but I can get stunning amounts of spin on a full swing. I also feel more in control and I am hitting sharper angles than with other blades.  My regular opponents have commented on the serve returns and placement improvements in my game and I really enjoy the stunned looks they get when their "winner" comes back with force and accuracy off of a block.  The only shot that's really suffered is my occasional backspin vs. backspin shot which tends to float long with this setup.  I'm trying to switch to hitting/lifting those now but it's not quite there yet.

Thanks to fatt for the inspiration and to Ross for saving me money and for what is so far my favorite blade.

ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 9:37am
Rusttt - Actually I have already seen your wonderful blade as Ross sent me a photo when we were trying to decide on handle stripe ideas.

It's great to hear that you're having so much success with your blade and I'm not surprised. The quality and finish of Ross' blades are second to none. 

I should hopefully be able to post some final photos of my blade within the next 24 hours as Ross advised me today that it has been finished. So I'm eager to share this wonderful piece of art with you all!
The Twiddler
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 10:46am

Here's another shot after an application of lacquer

Lacquer by you or by Ross? I thought that he already sealed the blade.
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2014 at 11:23am
No by Ross. The blade is sealed and he is building up the poly lacquer on the handle.

The Twiddler
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2014 at 1:05am
Here are some completed photos of my blade. Many thanks to Ross for making such a stunning blade! Is there nothing he can't do?

The Twiddler
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 4:36am
Here's a little video of the blade in action verses the experimental blade :)

Direct link here - http://youtu.be/mPMYrhmlzf4

Edited by ChrisUK - 07/23/2014 at 5:45am
The Twiddler
SolidEvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolidEvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 1:37pm

Is there nothing he can't do?

This is actually something I would like to find out.

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

Composition is ipe, white ash, white ash, kiri, white ash, white ash, ipe.  Handle is ebony, blue maple outer stripes and a canxan negra burl center stripe where you have sapphire dyed maple.  I jokingly called it Violince since it's pretty much a supercharged Violin.

It came out a little heavy at 98g and I put about 100g worth of Tibhar 1Q/XD on there so it's not for the feint of heart (or arm). I thought it would be a pretty novelty and I was curious if fatt was on to something with the super hard wood/hard sponge theory, but I honestly didn't expect to use it that much.  Fact is, I haven't picked up any of the other blades in over a month now because I love this combo so much!  Not only that, I haven't bought any more blades or rubbers after averaging 3-4 blades a month since January with rubbers to match.  I figure Ross has already saved me about $400! 

It has great power when asked, which I expected, but the big surprise to me was how good it is for touch shots, and flicks.  I thought the ipe on the top layer would lead to low dwell time and low spin, but I can get stunning amounts of spin on a full swing. I also feel more in control and I am hitting sharper angles than with other blades.  My regular opponents have commented on the serve returns and placement improvements in my game and I really enjoy the stunned looks they get when their "winner" comes back with force and accuracy off of a block.  The only shot that's really suffered is my occasional backspin vs. backspin shot which tends to float long with this setup.  I'm trying to switch to hitting/lifting those now but it's not quite there yet.

Thanks to fatt for the inspiration and to Ross for saving me money and for what is so far my favorite blade.

What a beautiful blade!  Well done Ross!
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 1:49pm
Oh god... 😳
#emeğesaygı tabi :)
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2014 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

Thanks for the feedback on the blade - I'm glad it's working out well.  Please consider me again in the future when you'd like to save more money.  Wink
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/25/2014 at 12:49pm
Hi, Ross,

Have you ever used Western Red Cedar as a (thick) core in your blades? If so, how does it compare with kiri, or balsa (all three are soft)?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

Hi, Ross,

Have you ever used Western Red Cedar as a (thick) core in your blades? If so, how does it compare with kiri, or balsa (all three are soft)?

Indeed I have.  It's heavier than both kiri and balsa, and results in a more solid and springy core.   Tamed with some limba outers, it makes a nice blade.

Edited by Ross Leidy - 07/26/2014 at 8:43pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2014 at 8:46pm

Member Reinecke asked for a handle design that was an homage to the Mizutani Jun Super ZLC handle.  Here's what we came up with.  The handle is dyed-red Black Ash burl, Yellowheart, and Gaboon Ebony.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 33>
  Share Topic