FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 33>
Author
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 2:47pm
I have to say, this entire thread is incredible. This is the kind of blade you buy then use for the rest of your life...
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 5:13pm
I got a game; please decipher the riddle below:

i.......n is t.e s.......t f..m of f......y
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2014 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I got a game; please decipher the riddle below:

i.......n is t.e s.......t f..m of f......y

I was thinking the same thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 7:17pm
This photo's for fatt who appreciates the edge photos.  It's a new experimental blade with a Peruvian Walnut core - something I've wanted to try for a while now.  Peruvian Walnut is not very heavy for being a hardwood, and I wanted to see if it would make a viable core material.  The remaining plies are Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  Not quite finished yet, but I wanted to share this initial photo.

Edited by Ross Leidy - 09/11/2014 at 7:18pm
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 8:12pm
This looks interesting! You're getting quite a catalogue of core timbers now, aren't you? So this blade is working on the hard core, soft outer principle rather than soft to harder. What are the general pros and cons of the different approaches?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2014 at 11:24pm
what a beautiful edge picture; so we'd get a soft feel with a rigid enough core to stay in the popular 7-ply zone: stiff but 1) not too much so the looping is not penalized (even encouraged with the 3 softer outer plies) and 2) just enough to hit well. 
You may very well be onto something huge!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 9:28am
I've been playing my K7 almost exclusively recently (koto*3-kiri-koto*3), and I enjoy the refined feel of a 7-ply.  So, I used the same general structure for this new blade.   While the Peruvian Walnut is light for a hardwood, it's still heavier than the more traditional core woods, so to compensate I chose AYC for its light weight for the remaining plies.  I like the soft, buttery feel of thick cedar outers, and as you note, it should help generate spinny loops (along with the flex of the 5.8mm thick blade).  The Peruvian Walnut should provide good solidity and speed for off-table play.  It's a theory.  Smile

Edited by Ross Leidy - 09/16/2014 at 1:17pm
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 10:18am
Ross,
Apparently, high level chefs can imagine the ingredients and taste the dish without actually cooking it. 
Are you able to do something similar with blades and various wood compositions, when creating a new blade, how close is the result to what you expect?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 11:09am
I have only a coarse sense of how the blades will play when I'm putting them together.  I always look forward to the surprise of the first hit.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

I have only a coarse sense of how the blades will play when I'm putting them together.  I always look forward to the surprise of the first hit.
I bet you would stop building blades if the surprise effect was down to zero. That special moment must be always new a treat!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 2:40pm

I bet you would stop building blades if the surprise effect was down to zero. That special moment must be always new a treat!!!

I think you are right, my friend.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2014 at 11:42pm
And what is the weight of the blade ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

And what is the weight of the blade ?
The blade is just over 86g.  Here are a few more photos.  The handle is Hawaiian Koa that was sent to me as a gift - it's got a nice warm color and shimmer.

Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2014 at 10:51pm
That's a beautiful handle color, very refined and elegant!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 9:22am
How does it play? Any chance it will become a standard in the lineup?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

That's a beautiful handle color, very refined and elegant!
Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 9:28am

How does it play? Any chance it will become a standard in the lineup?
I'll be giving it a whirl this week.  I'll keep you posted.
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2014 at 9:44pm
Very interesting concept!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 1:06pm

This photo's for fatt who appreciates the edge photos.  It's a new experimental blade with a Peruvian Walnut core - something I've wanted to try for a while now.  Peruvian Walnut is not very heavy for being a hardwood, and I wanted to see if it would make a viable core material.  The remaining plies are Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  Not quite finished yet, but I wanted to share this initial photo.

Hi, Ross,
What are the thicknesses of each ply?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

Hi, Ross,
What are the thicknesses of each ply?

I corrected my earlier post where I indicated the thickness was 5.6mm.  It's actually 5.8mm.  The core is 2.05mm and the remaining plies are just a fraction over 0.6mm each.  

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2014 at 7:27pm
So how does it play Ross??
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

So how does it play Ross??

I gave it a short try, but I wasn't happy with the rubber pairing.  I'm going to send it off to fatt, and he'll do a better job of putting it through its paces.
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2014 at 9:25pm
Some work in progress pictures, I'm surely biased, but I think these look spectacular!

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:24pm
Wowsers!!!  Spectacular indeed!  The thing that catches my eye the most is the surface veneer.  What on earth is it?  That is quite extraordinary figure.

Love it.  Clap
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Wowsers!!!  Spectacular indeed!  The thing that catches my eye the most is the surface veneer.  What on earth is it?  That is quite extraordinary figure.

Love it.  Clap

It's curly white ash. 
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 1:59am
So, rusttt, just what is the composition of this gorgeous thing? I'm assuming you've gone for relatively hard outers (high Janka and pretty stiff) with something lighter and softer on the inside? What have you got (thicknesses, weight, etc.) and what are you aiming for in terms of playing characteristics?
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

So, rusttt, just what is the composition of this gorgeous thing? I'm assuming you've gone for relatively hard outers (high Janka and pretty stiff) with something lighter and softer on the inside? What have you got (thicknesses, weight, etc.) and what are you aiming for in terms of playing characteristics?

My first bespoke blade was 5.3mm 7 ply, kiri, core, 2 x white ash medials and ipe outers, basically a Nittaku Violin plus some thin layers of ipe - there are some pictures a few pages back.  So yes, very hard outers, medium stiff and it weighed 98g.  I loved it since I play drives and smashes more than loops when I'm in good position and the ball is the least bit higher than the net.  However I found it a little fast when I wasn't in control of the point and needed to block or chop something back.  While I did hit some of the best loops of my life with it, there was little margin for error compared to some of my other blades.  

The blade with the flared handle is intended to be a little slower, more flexible and lighter than the previous incarnation.  It's 5.2mm, ayous core, two limba medials and the aforementioned curly white ash outers. The handle is ebony and dyed maple burl. Ross thinks it will finish about 94g.

The blade with the ST handle is 5.2mm, 5 ply, kiri core, limba medial, and curly white ash outer. The handle is ebony and dyed black ash burl and somewhere around 74g.  It should be another notch slower, have some flex, and be better for looping.  This blade wouldn't have existed at all except that Ross made the ST handle first and it was way too pretty not to use it for something. 
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 10:48am
rusttt, that is a whole lot of investment! Are your blades very stiff with harder and stiffer outer plies? Probably not because they are so thin (5.2 and 5.3 mm)?
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

rusttt, that is a whole lot of investment! Are your blades very stiff with harder and stiffer outer plies? Probably not because they are so thin (5.2 and 5.3 mm)?

The blade with ipe is medium stiff, probably similar to my Hayabusa ZXi in that dimension though considerably different feel.  

With the two new ones, I was looking for more flex specifically to improve my loops and an overall reduction in speed. 

Investment wise, you're not just buying a blade, it's fun to think about the composition, think about the handle design, and see it coming together.  At the end of all that fun you get to hold your creation in your hand, and then you have all the fun of working out the best rubber for your blade and playing with it.  To me that's worth some extra, but the truth is I've spent more on individual Butterfly and Nittaku blades than any of these. Is it cheap? No. Is it worth it? Yes.

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by rusttt rusttt wrote:

Investment wise, you're not just buying a blade, it's fun to think about the composition, think about the handle design, and see it coming together.  At the end of all that fun you get to hold your creation in your hand, and then you have all the fun of working out the best rubber for your blade and playing with it.  To me that's worth some extra, but the truth is I've spent more on individual Butterfly and Nittaku blades than any of these. Is it cheap? No. Is it worth it? Yes.
Thumbs Up  Couildn't have said it better myself.  Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 33>
  Share Topic