Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 7:25pm
Must resist throwing money at Ross....
Sponsored Links

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by liulin04 liulin04 wrote:

Must resist throwing money at Ross....

rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2014 at 9:07pm

Final version:

Redarc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 12:44pm

Nice blade!

Edited by Redarc - 10/13/2014 at 12:46pm
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Redarc Redarc wrote:

Nice blade!

Thanks!  I haven't played with the 5 ply ST handle yet.  I can say the 7 ply is a very nice formula however.  It has good speed, good control, good sweet spot and is fun to play with in all aspects of the game.  I felt right at home with it despite spending most of the last couple of months using the TB ALC and Nittaku Basaltec Outer - both fairly fast composite blades.  

I wouldn't recommend using the curly ash if you plan to use the blade for playing, as there is some variation in the surface due the grain.  I built up several layers of glue to help even things out, carefully using a firm sponge to thin it on the high spots and fill the low spots and you can't see much variation after gluing but it adds work for something you can't see 99% of the time.
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 5:17am
I too have recently purchased a blade from Ross (my third).
As always Ross was great to deal with and had plenty of helpful suggestions.
The blade weighs 58.4g
Composition is Ribbon stripe Sapele, Western Red Cedar, Balsa, .4mm 3 ply birch, Western Red Cedar.
The handle has camphor burl outers with a masur birch stripe.
Feel wise, it is stiff and the WRC side is softer and higher throw as would be expected. Speed Off- or so.

Edited by JEAus - 10/16/2014 at 5:25am
Regards,
Jonathan
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 5:20am
Regards,
Jonathan
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 5:21am
Regards,
Jonathan
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 7:48am
Originally posted by JEAus JEAus wrote:

The blade weighs 58.4g
Composition is Ribbon stripe Sapele, Western Red Cedar, Balsa, .4mm 3 ply birch, Western Red Cedar.
The handle has camphor burl outers with a masur birch stripe.
Feel wise, it is stiff and the WRC side is softer and higher throw as would be expected. Speed Off- or so.
58.4g!  How do you manage to get the weight down there?  What is the overall thickness of the blade?

It looks absolutely beautiful, btw.  Well done!  Another great Aussie and Ross production.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 12:17pm
great blade, wow, sub 60g should be very hard to make.  Only Ross is able to pull this one off!  Great job!
JEAus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 12:48am
I think the blade is about 8.5mm thick - .5mm Sapele, .6mm WRC, 6.4mm light Balsa, .4mm 3 ply birch, .6mm WRC. The secret to the light weight is being very strategic with the denser wood. Also that Balsa only contributes about 13 grams to the weight. The birch is roughly the same weight as the sapele or the 2 WRC plies together.
Regards,
Jonathan
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 9:41am
A nice thing to know it is possible and documented to get an off- sub 60g RL blade. If my younger daughter plays more I will think about it.
Redarc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redarc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2014 at 1:01pm
This is my Ross blade   Smile

TKMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TKMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 12:35am
Very nice
slowloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slowloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 12:39am
That's a fantastic handle
vishal_dindoyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vishal_dindoyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 12:46am
I would never have the heart to glue rubbers on this baby!!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 2:51am
redarc the bamboo side looks like a foundation and the other like a dream; the bh setting up the fh maybe? or the other way around? Wink
rusttt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusttt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2014 at 1:17pm
That's gorgeous redarc! 
CLOUDBR View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CLOUDBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2014 at 11:06am
This is my Ross blade (Composition): LOL

1. LIMBA (0.6)
2. WHITE ASH (0.6)
3. LIMBA (0.6)
4. KIRI (4.0 - CORE WITH HIGHER DENSITY)
5. BALSA (2.6 - BALSA SPECIAL)
6. CORK (2.4) 
7. SAPELE (0.4)

Thickness: 11.2 mm
The blade weighs 95.5g
Handle: Black Palm, Yellowheart, and Padauk.
Blade Shape: Compact-3

Edited by CLOUDBR - 10/20/2014 at 11:43am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 7:48am
Say hello to my latest Ross Leidy blade:

Blade composition:
Core - Kiri 3.8mm
Medial - Douglas Fir 2x .6mm
Outer - King Billy Pine 2x 1mm

Total - 7mm

Handle:
(Ross calls this shape the "knife handle".  This one is a refinement of the handle on Tiger Lily - slightly longer and wider.)

Coolabah burl
Weave - Huon Pine (lighter stripes) and Beefwood (darker)

For those who like edge shots:

The parcel only arrived this afternoon, so I haven't had a chance to do much more than gaze at her.  Tomorrow I should have a chance for a first hit.  (Gee, I hate putting rubber on this one!!!)

Edited by Tassie52 - 12/08/2014 at 8:00am
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 8:33am
SHOCKED FACES EVERYWHERE

Absolutely incredible.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 11:45am
It just doesn't get any better than that but leave it to Ross he will continue to amaze us.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 1:55pm
I suggest a special category of TT competition - hardwood TT championships. These blades are just to pretty to be hidden by rubber (or grip wrap fatt Angry ) - play using just the wood. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 2:37pm
Beautiful blade and especially like the look and shape of the handle.
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2014 at 3:50pm
oh my gosh this is probably the best looking blade I have ever seen in my life.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 3:01am
Hands up all those who would like an update and some more photos!  I thought so.  Smile

Today we (my new blade and I) went for a training session.  An hour and a quarter of footwork drills later, I have some initial impressions.

1.  This blade is beautiful!

2. Speed - this is the fastest blade I've had from Ross.  The three Sotto Voces I have are all quite different and none of them uses one of the more common surface plies (I suspect that my blades with Huon Pine and Willow are unique, and there probably aren't too many with Redwood either), so it's probably not fair to suggest that this blade is faster than all sotto voces, but it is still my fastest.  Its sound is higher pitched both with JRSDallas's patented head boinking test and when bouncing the ball on the blade.  Loaded with rubber, it's still the highest pitched of my blades.

How fast?  I'm too much of a rank amateur to give a definitive answer, but clearly in the OFF range somewhere.

Because today was training only, I can't say how this is going to translate into game play.  Later in the week I should have some idea.

3.  Ball trajectory - low! (I use an exclamation mark because I wasn't expecting this.)  This was quite apparent from the outset - lots of balls clipping the top of the net.  The harder the ball came at me the flatter it went back.  Once I adjusted, all was well.

Given that today's session was spent at the table, I have to wait to find out what this means for playing away from the table.  Given the speed of the blade, I suspect that ball trajectory is simply going to mean adjusting to hitting longer.  Time will tell.

4.  Feel - crisp!  (Another exclamation mark.)  King Billy Pine is relatively light and rated as soft (40 pcf and Janka 430 - harder than Western Red Cedar, softer than Mahogany and Alaska Cedar).  The outer layers are 1mm thick, but the combination with 3.8mm Kiri and two layers of Douglas Fir provides good stiffness.  How is this going to play in the short game?  I don't know.  Again, time will give some answers.

5.  The independent umpire - "This is a really good blade."  Words from Eddie Kasser, ex-Australian player.  I'm fortunate to have Eddie for a coach.  I haven't quite worked out why he spends his time with me when I'm such a slow learner.  I'm starting to think it might be because he likes to play with my Ross Leidy blades!

He commented that the blade is "plenty fast enough" and marvelled over the quality of the craftsmanship.  He asked me a number of times, "Where did he learn to make blades like this?"  He also commented that this is nothing like anything that comes out of the Butterfly factory.  LOL

I made Eddie give me back my King Billy special.  LOL

I'm still working on a name for this one.  Billie (female form of Billy, as in King Billy)?  Billie Weaver (given the magnificent job of weaving Ross has done in the handle)?

Other suggestions will be considered.

Edited by Tassie52 - 12/09/2014 at 3:02am
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 3:29am
How about Billy Goat (Greatest of all todate)!
Butterfly MPS
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Tassie - I must say, I am quite pleased with how your blade turned out.  Kudos to you for the handle shape and design, which is spectacular.   Best of luck as you get acquainted with the "Billie". 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Tassie - I must say, I am quite pleased with how your blade turned out.  Kudos to you for the handle shape and design, which is spectacular.   Best of luck as you get acquainted with the "Billie". 
Ross,
How was the handle described to you. Did he send you a sketch or photoshopped image?
I am trying to understand how someone would describe it to you.
Thanks in advance

Butterfly MPS
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2014 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Ross,
How was the handle described to you. Did he send you a sketch or photoshopped image?
I am trying to understand how someone would describe it to you.
Thanks in advance

Tassie is a master at using MS PowerPoint and was able to provide mockup images of just what he wanted to achieve.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 33>
  Share Topic