Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
Author
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/2015 at 5:14pm
Ross,

DO YOU MAKE any combination blades ?
Sponsored Links

Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2015 at 9:21am
Originally posted by osmar92 osmar92 wrote:

Ross,

DO YOU MAKE any combination blades ?

Yes - in fact one of my current projects is a combination blade.
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2015 at 9:29am
where can I read about the details of such blades?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2015 at 10:09pm
You can find a thread about a couple here.
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2015 at 11:49am
no details on combination blades
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2015 at 2:48am
What would be the difference in using bamboo over say maple?

Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2015 at 11:10am
Originally posted by cgswss cgswss wrote:

What would be the difference in using bamboo over say maple?

I find that bamboo has less of a rebound than maple.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2015 at 11:32am
Last blade of the year

I guess I could call this a Christmas present to myself.  A repeat client from Germany asked if it was possible to incorporate the diamonds of the Bavarian flag into the handle of his next blade.  I used this blade as the test-bed for figuring out the building technique.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2015 at 11:36am
Fantastic!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2015 at 12:25pm
I can not imagine The time you take doing your glueups for most of your handles.  fantastic job!
Ross Leidy custom
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2015 at 4:58am
Oh my goodness!

Ross, this is a truly amazing piece of work. This simply exudes class. I am now seriously rethinking what my next handle design might be - obviously you need greater challenges.

Again, this is just beautiful.
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2016 at 12:17pm
Little back story before you see your pics. I've always wanted a straight handled Viscaria and we all know the difficulty of acquiring one and the insane prices. So I came up with idea to send a Viscaria to Ross and let him make a straight handle (way better than any Butterfly handle). Ross wasn't the biggest fan initially of the idea, but as long as I was the one dismantling the handle he would do it. My dismantle wasn't the greatest, but I got it done.  Not a fun process, while I was doing it, I was thinking no wonder why Ross doesn't want to do this.

Long story short, I introduce the "Rosscaria"

CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2016 at 1:45pm
Key to dismaning handles is ultra sharp chisles.  Many times sharper then what you buy at a store.  But not that hard if you have the sharpest tool (g) 
Ross Leidy custom
Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2016 at 5:50pm
Nice job,
Toprank, do u remember how the handle halves looked inside, was the there any kind of hollowness inside????
I bought 2 new ones((viscarias)) a year ago, although I asked for heavier ones I was sent 81-82 grams
I did played one but is sounded so hollow that I even drilled (( 3 holes, filled them back w glue)) to ceck for hollow space inside..
Did u make picture of the disassembled handle????

Edited by Tuly007 - 01/22/2016 at 5:54pm
still testing

Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2016 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Tuly007 Tuly007 wrote:

Nice job,
Toprank, do u remember how the handle halves looked inside, was the there any kind of hollowness inside????
I bought 2 new ones((viscarias)) a year ago, although I asked for heavier ones I was sent 81-82 grams
I did played one but is sounded so hollow that I even drilled (( 3 holes, filled them back w glue)) to ceck for hollow space inside..

If I remember correctly it wasn't hollow. When I took the handle off, some of the wood of the blade peeled off and I could see arylate from the blade.
CURRENT BLADE- Ross Leidy White Lightning

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2016 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

Originally posted by Tuly007 Tuly007 wrote:

Nice job,

If I remember correctly it wasn't hollow. When I took the handle off, some of the wood of the blade peeled off and I could see arylate from the blade.

Yes, that's correct, the original handle grips were solid.  I think the pair weighed around 22g combined.
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 11:16am
Wow!  I sure wish I had the tools that guy has!

Of course there are many that wish they had the tools I have.

I never did any CNC work in wood.  Did a lot in metal and delrin 

I watched a bunch of those vids.  Impressive
Ross Leidy custom
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 1:15pm
These guys are amazing. Although, maybe they should get their own thread. That cutting board is amazing!
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 10:32am
Fatt -

That is an amazing process and a talented woodworker. Thanks for sharing that link. Verry cool.
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 3:20am
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Last blade of the year

I guess I could call this a Christmas present to myself.  A repeat client from Germany asked if it was possible to incorporate the diamonds of the Bavarian flag into the handle of his next blade.  I used this blade as the test-bed for figuring out the building technique.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Hi there,
this is so great - and I'm really looking forward for my final blade(s)   Big smile

As Ross posted my future blade design - I wanted to share the last two blades Ross crafted for me.

The first is a Rapscallion in with just white/blue stripes - as we thought the bavaria diamond will be impossible

The second one - is the one I'm using at the moment for matches - a combi blade with Black Limba on the BH side and  Cedar on the FH side.

The core here is Kiri and it has a real unique feel and touch.

As I'm still working on my technique - I'm not sure which one I like more - but the cool thing always is - even if I couldn't play with one, it's always a piece of art :D

But fortunately this is not the case here - we climbed a league this year - and after changing the blade I won much more games now than a league lower last year.

So have a nice day and now I'm waiting until top of the shedule again Wink,
Bernd

victorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 11:45am
Hi Hell-Es - what's the shape of the handle - FL or Anatomic? Looks really nice!
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2016 at 1:09pm
Was it Anatomic 2 ?! - must look into my mails ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2016 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Hell-es Hell-es wrote:

It was a standard anatomic handle modeled after a Stiga that someone once sent me.
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 3:30am
I just wanted to post a quick photo of the blade Ross is currently working on for me. It's not finished yet and the photo below shows it with just the sealer applied. Ross is in the process of applying s gloss lacquer to the handle so be next photo I post will show it in all it's shiny glory :)

I'm sure Ross will share the build process at some stage but let's just say that this is the most intricate handle he's made me and I'm blown away at the time, effort and level of detail that's gone into it!!

The Twiddler
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 6:26am
I have run out of superlatives...

Tell us about the blade. Composition?  Weight?  What properties are you looking for?
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

I have run out of superlatives...

Tell us about the blade. Composition?  Weight?  What properties are you looking for?

Sure.

This blade is (I think) my 9th or 10th from Ross. To cut a long story short, the very first blade Ross made me was simply superb. I play with long pips on the backhand and like to block close to the table and on my forehand I like to loop (I use Tenergy). So I wanted both a good solid defensive and offensive blade. My primary aim is to have something that has a bit of flex (for looping) but is solid and dense enough that when I block passively, that flex isn't activated. 

Anyway, we've tried a number of different combination blades but I always go back to my original "Leidy" blade, so we decided to replicate it. The construction is as follows:

- 2 x layers of White Ash - Ross specifically chose denser wood as this is what makes it so good for passive blocking.

- A Kiri core - Ross chose Kiri from his original batch that my original blade was constructed from.

- 2 x layers of White Ash - As above.

The blade is Ross' oversize 3 format. This is because we want to slightly increase the flex and I believe a larger size does this. Also it is better defensively.

The weight is around 94g. Again this is needed as I want something a bit heavier and denser (for blocking). As I play with a 1.7mm Tenergy rubber and no sponge on my pips, the overall weight of the blade will be around 155-158g, so it's not going to be heavy compared to most "double inverted" setups.

Finally the handle is constructed of individual diamonds of Yellowheart and Gabon Ebony and will be finished in gloss Big smile

Edited by ChrisUK - 02/17/2016 at 8:03am
The Twiddler
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2016 at 5:43pm
Thanks, Chris.  I knew you had a number of RL's but 9 or 10?!  That makes my 5 look paltry - I'm going to have to try harder.

I'm interested to see the ebony as one of my possible handle designs would use it.  Nice work.  I understand the compulsion to keep on tweaking the composition: my latest is the closest I've found to perfection, but even so my next blade will have some minor changes.  (Mainly an edge strip.  I cringe every time I ding the edge without one.)
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2016 at 10:45am
....and here's the finished blade! I'm blown away but the finish!!

The Twiddler
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2016 at 6:37am
Oh yeah - this is really so great and amazing.

Unbeliebable that Ross gets so many tiny diamonds into one handle ;)

Can't wait until the Bavaria Version is on top of the schedule.

The structure of the white ash also looks almost to nice to put rubber onto the blade
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2016 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by Hell-es Hell-es wrote:

It was a standard anatomic handle modeled after a Stiga that someone once sent me.

Yeah, handles are amazing and same as old STIGA 2000:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
  Share Topic