Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
Author
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2016 at 8:17pm
Mondrian

This is a handle that I've wanted to build for a couple years.  The layout is taken directly from a shift dress created by Yves Saint Laurent back in the 60’s that was itself an homage to the paintings by Piet Mondrian from the 20’s/30’s.  I thought that the shape of the dress looked very much like a FL handle that I had created for a client years ago (based on the Joola Red Spot).  Yves and Piet are both gone now, but I credit them each for the inspiration for the handle design. 

The blade itself I started long ago, but never finished.  It was intended to be an "art" blade with it's jet black Gaboon Ebony outer ply.  My experience building the diamond handles gave me the building process I needed to realize the Mondrian handle, and the neglected blade was a fitting platform.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  I haven't decided what to do with the blade - either mount it in a shadow box for myself or offer it for sale. 

This is the inspiration for the handle.

And the blade.

Sponsored Links

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2016 at 8:38pm
Oh.My.Goodness !!!
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2016 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

I haven't decided what to do with the blade - either mount it in a shadow box for myself or offer it for sale.

mount it in shadow box as part of your milestone history Clap
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
shaibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2016 at 9:37pm
This blade is a piece of art. Would anyone even dare to use it to play?

Edited by shaibu - 03/03/2016 at 9:38pm
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 12:24am
Dear Ross
If you don't know what to do with the blade, just send it over to me, I will expose it in our tabletennis11 shop in Paris where Yves st laurent and Mondrian lived and worked. The blade won't be for sale, unless you say so. Just exposed for eyes pleasure.
I still have two of the blades you made for me and I play with them from time to time. They are great, but this one is such a piece of art that it would be a pity people can't see it whenever they feel like.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
ChrisUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 1:39am
As always Ross, stunning work. The Mondrian has turned out really well and it probably won't be long before I ask to be put back on the list to commission another blade....and this handle would be my handle of choice. Just breathtaking!
The Twiddler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 11:20am
I appreciate the kind comments, guys.  It was great to be able to finally realize a design that had been rattling around my head for a couple years.  If I do decide to offer it for sale (ebay or otherwise), I'll be sure to post in the FS forum.
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 11:34am
Just wanted to let you see another Ross masterpice

Ratt "ghost" (OS kiri, balsa, kiri) innova UL/ Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Ratt "mouse" (mahogany, 3- kiri, mahogany) T05/ giant dragon talon
Tibhar Furious/ juic 999/ Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
Ross Leidy custom
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 12:39pm
Can't believe it - they just keep getting better and better. That is a nice logo....No clue how it would be done using wood! Beautiful piece. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 12:53pm
Just requires very carful cutting... Of course it helps if you have a CNC router...

Ross Leidy custom
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 1:03pm

Mondrian

This is a handle that I've wanted to build for a couple years.  The layout is taken directly from a shift dress created by Yves Saint Laurent back in the 60’s that was itself an homage to the paintings by Piet Mondrian from the 20’s/30’s.  I thought that the shape of the dress looked very much like a FL handle that I had created for a client years ago (based on the Joola Red Spot).  Yves and Piet are both gone now, but I credit them each for the inspiration for the handle design. 

The blade itself I started long ago, but never finished.  It was intended to be an "art" blade with it's jet black Gaboon Ebony outer ply.  My experience building the diamond handles gave me the building process I needed to realize the Mondrian handle, and the neglected blade was a fitting platform.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  I haven't decided what to do with the blade - either mount it in a shadow box for myself or offer it for sale. 

This is the inspiration for the handle.

And the blade.

OMG, this is insane!  A very great job well done
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 1:09pm
I don't have a CNC, (and don't do near as good a job as Ross) but I do it on a scroll saw with a very fine blade.  the trick is to tape the base and insert wood together and set the the saw at a small angle.  That way when you cut them out, any small mistake you might make, you make in bot parts so they match 100%  I use a slight angle when cutting on a scroll saw so the the top wood (the insert) will be slightly bigger and when you put it in the cut out it will fill the gap that would be left by the blade.

If you have a CNC, you set the tool path to cut inside the line on the base piece, then set the tool path to cut outside the line on the insert.  there is no angle needed on CNC as there is no gap.  The biggest problem on cutting the base is the points.  You can't get a perfect sharp point so you have to use a little tinny bit or manually cut the points with a chisel

I wish I still had my CNC stuff.  I'd be doing inlays all the time <G>

Ross Leidy custom
cgswss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cgswss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 1:13pm
I have never done any blades with rocker on the grip cap.  I like the look.  I might just have to try that!

Edited by cgswss - 03/04/2016 at 1:15pm
Ross Leidy custom
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

Little back story before you see your pics. I've always wanted a straight handled Viscaria and we all know the difficulty of acquiring one and the insane prices. So I came up with idea to send a Viscaria to Ross and let him make a straight handle (way better than any Butterfly handle). Ross wasn't the biggest fan initially of the idea, but as long as I was the one dismantling the handle he would do it. My dismantle wasn't the greatest, but I got it done.  Not a fun process, while I was doing it, I was thinking no wonder why Ross doesn't want to do this.

Long story short, I introduce the "Rosscaria"

This is my dream, how much would you anticipate it costing and how much work is required to remove the handle?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2016 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

This is my dream, how much would you anticipate it costing and how much work is required to remove the handle?
Please contact me offline via the link in my sig to discuss this.
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2016 at 1:26am
The mondrian blade looks really stunning - and I like the history behind it.  Clap
Also the red dyed wood is quiet noble - fantastic work.

Also stunning too, with the other blade - that also round shapes are possible...
Always had straight lines in my mind

....too much possibilities.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2016 at 11:45am
Radioactive

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2016 at 7:15pm
Oh, Ross, you have no idea how hard you're making this for yourself.  Every time you post something like this, my brain immediately goes, "Wow!  That means he can do ..." and then I think of something even more challenging to ask you to work on.  I can't wait for my name to rise to the head of the queue!
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2016 at 8:23am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

The contrast between the yellow and black matches so well the outer ply.
Radioactive? Yes. I thought first about the knights of the ⛪ temple for some reason, engaging through the blade an instant spiritual connection with the universe and the laws oh physics.

I would say is more of the wood and black colour contrast.
Blade: DHS Long 5
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
BH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Oh, Ross, you have no idea how hard you're making this for yourself.  Every time you post something like this, my brain immediately goes, "Wow!  That means he can do ..." and then I think of something even more challenging to ask you to work on.  I can't wait for my name to rise to the head of the queue!

You certainly don't need any help from me coming up with challenging handle designs.  Please disregard all of my future posts.  :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 10:58am

Radioactive? Yes. I thought first about the knights of the ⛪ temple for some reason, engaging through the blade an instant spiritual connection with the universe and the laws oh physics.

I feel very 2-dimensional in fatt's 3-dimensional universe.  I just thought the radiation symbol looked cool.  :)
Fulanodetal View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fulanodetal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 11:01am
These are truly a work of art. The love and dedication are quite evident.

FdT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Renol Renol wrote:

I would say is more of the wood and black colour contrast.

The radiation symbol and the outer ply are both the same wood, but different sources.  Yellowheart or Brazilian Satinwood.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 11:08am

Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

You certainly don't need any help from me coming up with challenging handle designs.  Please disregard all of my future posts.  :)
How long is this waiting list? Just to see how long I will have to save up for one these blades!
Butterfly MPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

These are truly a work of art. The love and dedication are quite evident.

FdT

Hey, thanks, I appreciate it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 11:11am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

How long is this waiting list? Just to see how long I will have to save up for one these blades!

Currently, it's 6+ months.  
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 11:26am

Currently, it's 6+ months.  
If I may ask about the procedure - do we supply the design suggestions when we go on the waiting list or is that done when you're ready to start building the blade? 
Butterfly MPS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2016 at 12:21pm

If I may ask about the procedure - do we supply the design suggestions when we go on the waiting list or is that done when you're ready to start building the blade? 
You can email me with general questions/ideas ahead of time, but I'm pretty insistent about leaving the fine details until I'm ready to start the project.  I've been bitten a few times by working out project details too far ahead of time only to find that needs/wants had changed by build-time, and all the early effort is wasted.  Now, while trying not to be too much of a jerk about it, I do resist discussing details until just prior to the start of the project.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2016 at 5:17am
I wish Ross can make some design on the cork block of the J-pen. Everytime he delivers a blade to me, the cork is always plain Cry
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2016 at 8:12am
Oh my god - this is a really funny blade Ross.  Clap

And this opens some new possibilities ... but don't want to frighten you beforehand Wink

Can't wait until my 2 beauties are finally completed.... just to pick up the third dimension

Edited by Hell-es - 04/06/2016 at 8:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
  Share Topic