FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>
Author
Hozze View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 8:19am
First post, I'm now on the waiting list for a Ross Leidy blade! Thumbs Up

It'll be a C-pen blade, Off-, Limba-Spruce-Kiri-Spruce-Limba, handle will be amboyna burl with pinstriped endcaps of purpleheart and bloodwood.

Sponsored Links

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Hozze Hozze wrote:

First post, I'm now on the waiting list for a Ross Leidy blade! Thumbs Up

It'll be a C-pen blade, Off-, Limba-Spruce-Kiri-Spruce-Limba, handle will be amboyna burl with pinstriped endcaps of purpleheart and bloodwood.

welcome to the forum.
You will not be disappointed with Ross' work.  Please post a few pictures when you get your blade.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 6:21pm
why do most of your blades have an end cap? Is it just for the looks or for adjusting the balance?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
alsj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 6:38pm
Those blades look amazing tbh
swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 9:33pm
 Clap
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2012 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

why do most of your blades have an end cap? Is it just for the looks or for adjusting the balance?

It's primarily for looks.   It's become a bit of a signature look for my blades.  It can affect the balance slightly, but not by much.
alsj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 6:12am
Can you make carbon blades? or is this exclusively wood and balsa?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 8:07am
Originally posted by alsj alsj wrote:

Can you make carbon blades? or is this exclusively wood and balsa?
I've made a few carbon blades, but I prefer not to.  The Red Hammer in the Fellowship of the Blades journey is one of them.

Balsa is one of the core options in the all-wood blades that I build, but it's not the most common.  I make use of kiri quite a bit.
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

It's primarily for looks.   It's become a bit of a signature look for my blades.  It can affect the balance slightly, but not by much.

The difference between woods for this volume cán be several gramms. Depends what is tought of as significant or much then .... and offcourse woodchoice.
With two balsa griphalves to begin with (real or planned), exchanging that partly with wenge or ipe would make more difference as when it starts from heavier wood. Blade becomes both heavier ánd less headheavy.
It,s more effective due to the position and will affect batbalance (once rubbers are attached) more then bladebalance.

Edited by mercuur - 08/30/2012 at 9:39am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 9:43am
Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

The difference between woods for this volume cán be several gramms. As possibillity it can affect the balance.  But depends what is tought of as significant or much .... and offcourse woodchoice. With two balsa griphalves to begin with, exchanging that with wenge or ipe would make a huge difference.
It,s more effective due to the position and it affects batbalance (once rubbers are attached) more then bladebalance.

The only way the end cap can significantly affect the balance is if there is a huge difference in the densities of the two types of wood used for the handle grips.  In my case, I normally use hardwoods for both parts of the grip, so even if I use a really heavy end cap, it won't change the weight significantly over a grip made from only the primary handle wood.  Some, but not a lot.

Now, if the main wood is balsa and the end cap is bloodwood, then there could be a noticeable difference.   But, I've never done anything that drastic.  :)
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 12:49pm
With all high density woods the higher part can also be milled out more or less. Keeping lower part solid. It,s more or less similar idea but reversed ; The weight is adjusted lighter and blade becomes more headheavy.  But same time can be kept less headheavy as with same weight griphalves using lower density wood when the endcapwood is kept all solid.
Offcourse that can be also be done with griphalves from a single woodtype more or less dense. But denser woodtypes the effect of hollowing out the same volume has more effect.

Edited by mercuur - 08/30/2012 at 12:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2012 at 1:06pm
You're right - hollowing the grips does change the overall balance of the blade.  In fact, with the wood types I use for my handles, I almost always have to hollow them to bring them down to a sane weight.  My templates for that operation take the hollow into the end cap some, so it's not solid in my case.  If I did leave them solid, it would probably add back about a gram per grip.  With the total weight of the average grips being 22-24g, a solid end cap isn't going to make a significant change.  Now, if I made a lead end cap, that would be significant. Smile
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2012 at 8:01am
I expected you would remove more then one gramm. Mostly griphalves are around ten gramms.

I wouldn,t underestimate tough what can be experienced as significant. In play it,s not just gravitation/balance (gravity as accelleration) but also accelleration initiated by the player and not to forget the sudden ballimpact. Mass (and moment of inertia) is relevant for that just the same as for gravitation.
Mostly in terms of tabletennis speech "balance" refers to this altogether as experience.
How relevant a gramm (mass) can be also depends on the intensity of the accellerations involved.
Just holding a blade or bat (static testing) only has to compensate for gravitation.

Edited by mercuur - 08/31/2012 at 8:03am

nerve*blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nerve*blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2012 at 3:40pm
Any reviews for this kind of blades?
Thanks.

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

I started researching tung wood when I first was asked to build a rendition of an Acoustic (which is the posted core for that blade) .  What I eventually found was that tung wood is an obscure name for kiri or paulownia.  (Here's one source.)  So, yes, I do have it in core thicknesses, but not as a veneer.

Could you please share with us the Custom Acoustic you've made? just want to know how it looks like, will make one later too Smile

This one is the closest to the composition of the Acoustic with limba (x2) - kiri - limba (x2).  The handle is chakte viga and olivewood.

Edited by nerve*blade - 08/31/2012 at 3:43pm
Blade: Nittaku Acoustic

FH: Nittaku Neo H3

BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by nerve*blade nerve*blade wrote:

Any reviews for this kind of blades?
Thanks.

Sorry, I did not receive any specific feedback from the person who commissioned that blade.
nerve*blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nerve*blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2012 at 9:12pm
Thanks for your update, Ross Leidy. 
Blade: Nittaku Acoustic

FH: Nittaku Neo H3

BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 3:29pm
I don't often work on composite blades, but I made an exception for this one.  I don't plan to make a habit of it, and I was reluctant to even share a photo of this blade, but it looked so dramatic, I broke down.  (The dubious legality of the blade was not an issue in this case.)

Carbon twill outers with padauk handle:

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 5:30pm
Tongue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 7:00pm
Uh oh Ross, you just opened up a whole can of worms!
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 7:45pm
I am sending him off an email right nowTongue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only a joke, but interesting can of worms.
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2012 at 11:23pm
LOLLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

a teaser? a thriller? or simply a twiller?
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 12:45am
sign me up for the next one Ross whenever you decide to make composite blades, thanks!
weestenosis View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 8:43am

My new blade from ross leidy.....
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
kerimakos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerimakos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 3:26pm
Hello my friends. I have received my heavy blade before 10 days.Great work.I have glued one tenergy 05fx 1.9 on the backhand and one tenergy 05fx 2.1 on the forehand. With this combination i have disappointment at 50% because my drive is terrible but my backhand was very very good. From serve,spin,smash,loop, all very good. I have sand my blade so the weight now is about 120 gramms. One friend have a better idea to change the rubber thichness on my forehand from 2.1mm to 1.9mm.First for me that was difficult because i play for 20 years with max thickness on my forehand.
Finally when i tried that yesterday on one tournament here in Greece i cannot believe that. Perfect balance of my blade, very fast spins(faster from the 2.1mm) very controlable blocks,very good serves...What can i say... a miracle on my hand.....

Thanks Ross for your weapon...

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by weestenosis weestenosis wrote:

My new blade from ross leidy.....

Nice, what's the composition?  Is that a Rosewood on the second picture?  It looks just like mine =)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 5:12pm
Ipe-bolivian rosewood-kiri-bolivian rosewood-spanish cedar with amboyna burl handle

Edited by weestenosis - 09/03/2012 at 5:16pm
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weestenosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2012 at 5:22pm
Use tenergy 64 used on the cedar side and darker rubber on epi side, i can smash and loop on the tenergy on forhand. I cant control the darker rubber as of yet on forhand as i noticed very spinny rubber and very low throw....i can put back the ball from the killing hard and very fast loop of my opponent but not with slow loop/smash. Thinking may be darker not for me as it is spinny rubber and not very fast in speed. But will try joola rhyzm next time.
Butterfly Amultart cpen

My Feedback
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 8:46am
The magician has been working hard, and here's a little "sneak preview" of one of his newest "tricks" (I hope you don't mind, Ross - but I'm just SO excited):

Ross has been kind enough to craft a blade to my exact specifications (design, composition, weight... etc.), and the result is looking more stunning than I could ever have hoped for. The blade is modelled (shape and handle) after a Butterfly Michael Maze (ST), with the handle design having aesthetic roots in two of my all-time favorite blade designs: 

Banda Waldner:

...and Butterfly Cresail:

The Blue and Yellow lines in the Waldner blade obviously is a reference to his (and Banda's) national heritage of Sweden, so likewise, I wanted the colors in "my handle" to be red and white, with my heritage being Danish.

The composition of the blade is: 
Black Limba (Outer Ply)Red KotoKiri (Core)Red KotoBlack Limba (Outer Ply)

Ross will of course be able to provide much better information regarding the blade's properties than I can... in the meanwhile, I will continue to be as excited as a kid on Christmas morning to receive this beautiful blade.

Edited by Pondus - 09/20/2012 at 4:48pm
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 9:51am
If it was Red on top and White on bottom it would be Indonesian's flag colors... Tongue

Great addition to your collection!
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

Great addition to your collection!

It sure is. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>
  Share Topic