Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Since Spruce isn't available, Ross offer me to use Alaskan yellow Cheddar which has similar hardness with Spruce.

I love cheddar, but I rarely use it in blades.  :)  Of course, peter79 was referring to alaskan yellow cedar.
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by iliketurtles iliketurtles wrote:

So it's koto-ayc-ayous-ayc-koto?

I was actually referring to the top veneer, as it isn't the red koto that Ross has on his site.

I purchased some graphite-color dyed koto for this blade.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I was wondering how heavy is a Sotto Voce with mahogany outer plies and how heavy is Speedy's 7-ply blade (white limba-koto-black limba & kiri core).

My blade is around 87grams.
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

I was wondering how heavy is a Sotto Voce with mahogany outer plies and how heavy is Speedy's 7-ply blade (white limba-koto-black limba & kiri core).

I have it written down as a bit heavier than that at 92.4g
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:28pm
Here is the finished products, what a nice looking blade!!!!

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Originally posted by speedy speedy wrote:

I have it written down as a bit heavier than that at 92.4g

Wow... it felt like 87-88 grams only...
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 9:55pm

Here is the finished products, what a nice looking blade!!!!

Why does the grain on the blade look so much darker now that it is sealed? I didn't like the look very much without the sealer, but now I think it looks really nice. The sealer reduced the colour difference between the blade and the handle.
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by mmerkel mmerkel wrote:

Why does the grain on the blade look so much darker now that it is sealed? I didn't like the look very much without the sealer, but now I think it looks really nice. The sealer reduced the colour difference between the blade and the handle.

Yes it's better looking if you seal the handle. I usually seal my new blade's handle, and it looks nicer.
Ross, I would like to apologize for uploading the unfinished products, next time I will just upload the finished products Embarrassed
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:12pm
Sorry Ross, that's nothing on you or your workmanship...just my opinion on what appeals to me personally. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:52pm
Hey, no problem guys.  I always like how the sealer deepens the color and brings out the character of the wood.  For me, it's really the most rewarding stage of the building process - seeing the wood come alive.
speedspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 10:59pm
I might be interested in a custom blade like the Viscaria in dimensions & composition (carbon/arylate), but about 85 g in weight. PM me.  Thanks.
Speedspin
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by speedspin speedspin wrote:

I might be interested in a custom blade like the Viscaria in dimensions & composition (carbon/arylate), but about 85 g in weight. PM me.  Thanks.

He doesn't use composite materials in his blades. Also, it would probably be more appropriate to contact him from his website, as he is probably in contact with multiple people at this point.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
ripag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 11:08pm
I believe that Ross uses only wood veneers at this time.
Innerforce ZLC fl
Fastarc G1
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 12:28am
I wonder how this hk clone will play if transform to a cpen.. cpen can use the same color handle?
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 1:47am
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

I wonder how this hk clone will play if transform to a cpen.. cpen can use the same color handle?
As far as I understand, Ross didn't do the HK clone himself. It is an original HK on which he put a new handle. Am I right ?
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 2:05am
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

As far as I understand, Ross didn't do the HK clone himself. It is an original HK on which he put a new handle. Am I right ?

I take a photo of Hurricane King ply and Ross use his own wood to make the same thickness and composition.
Unfortunately there's no spruce, so he use Alaskan yellow chedar as a subs for the spruce.

JDCI, if you pay close attention to the shape of the headsize and shape of the handle, it's the shape of Latika!! Big smile
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 2:26am
Well my blade still need a coat of sealer tomorrow, so it's not a finished product...

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 2:44am

I take a photo of Hurricane King ply and Ross use his own wood to make the same thickness and composition.
Unfortunately there's no spruce, so he use Alaskan yellow chedar as a subs for the spruce.

JDCI, if you pay close attention to the shape of the headsize and shape of the handle, it's the shape of Latika!! Big smile

Oh my......It's so well done that I've been fooled like a newbie. Congrats ! Can't wait you tell us how it plays.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 10:43am

Oh my......It's so well done that I've been fooled like a newbie. Congrats ! Can't wait you tell us how it plays.
High praise, my friend.  Thanks.  Smile
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 10:46am
And he still tot you just change the handle!!! haha LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 10:47am
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

cpen can use the same color handle?
Yes.  That handle is bocote (with the stripes) with ziricote on the end.
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 4:00pm
Peter, may I ask you what do you use for sealing the handles? Thanks
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by mg mg wrote:

I believe that he meant Ross is adding another layer of sealer. He usually adds 2 layers to the blade and 4 to the handle. I wouldn't think that it would need additional sealing after that....but that's personal preference, keeping in mind that every layer of sealer on the blade makes the outer ply a bit harder.
Please correct me if I'm wrong here....Wink
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 6:41pm

+1.
I also thinking same thing as you.
It will be great if he can make custom arylate carbon blade.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 9:44pm

It's sealed by Ross, usually I use MinWax Polyurethane to seal my blade handle.

Edited by peter79 - 12/28/2011 at 11:05pm
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by mizutani_jun mizutani_jun wrote:

+1.
I also thinking same thing as you.
It will be great if he can make custom arylate carbon blade.

Someday I'll branch out into composites.  I have a lot of experience using fiberglass and carbon from building kayaks, but it's a more labor intensive and costly process.  There are enough variables in building all-wood blades so I'm trying to keep a few things constant for a while.  You can be assured that if I do start building composite blades, I'll share the result on the forums.

Edited by Ross Leidy - 12/29/2011 at 8:32am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 11:04pm

It's is sealed by Ross, usually I use MinWax Polyurethane to seal my blade handle.

Peter and I are on the same wavelength here.   I use the oil-based Minwax Wipe-On Poly.  The oil-based product really brings out the character of the wood.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Ross Leidy Ross Leidy wrote:

Peter and I are on the same wavelength here.   I use the oil-based Minwax Wipe-On Poly.  The oil-based product really brings out the character of the wood.

It's more durable than the Water based polyurethane and the spray one.
Oh I can't wait to test my blade, patient... patient....

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 12:05am
Where did you find out about the difference in durability or is that your opinion?
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Where did you find out about the difference in durability or is that your opinion?

I've tried all of them...
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
  Share Topic