Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handcrafted Blades by Ross Leidy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
Author
Ross Leidy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2016 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Hell-es Hell-es wrote:

Oh my god - this is a really funny blade Ross.  Clap

And this opens some new possibilities ... but don't want to frighten you beforehand Wink

Can't wait until my 2 beauties are finally completed.... just to pick up the third dimension

I appreciate the consideration for my delicate constitution.  :)
Sponsored Links

Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 1:37am
Yeah - Ross has finally finish the work with my 2 beauties -  and so I wanted to share the first one of them with you today.

I had the first idea of "Bavarian Diamonds" when I ordered my first 2 blades last year - but Ross told me that it won't be possible to make them.

So I got 2 other cool designs (one of the already bavarian colored as you see in my Avatar) - but the idea was still alive.

And some months ago I again asked Ross if it maybe will be possible one day, in a distant distant future Wink Just to have asked - not that he tells me "I could have done it - but you never asked"

But the future came much earlier then - maybe around christmas Ross sent me a message that he thinks he can do it, and was working on a prototype already - he posted it some month ago.

From there we just had to select a good wood for the blue color of the bavarian flag.
It was a bit sad to waste much dyed wood in the process - but sacrifes have to be made Big smile

For the composition - one of my last blades was the combi blade - Limba - Ayous - Kiri - Ayous - Yellow Cedar

I felt a bit too much vibration with the kiri - only on some days... maye also a user-problem... - and so we chose Ayous as core - to have a bit more solid core. 

Ross said he also could increase the thickness of the Kiri - but I was afraid that the blade is too fast then.

For the Forehandside we switched to Western Red Cedar - to get an softer even better spin feeling

So now it is Limba - Ayous - Ayous - Ayous - Western Red Cedar - And I hope for the perfect alround blade

Enough words - here the final result

Thanks Ross for taking care of customer wishes ;)

Edited by Hell-es - 04/08/2016 at 1:42am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 6:26am
That really is a lovely piece of work.  Great design and lovely execution.  

I note that, like most other people, you don't get Ross to include an edge strip.  After the dings I've given my last blade, I think I'll go back to using the strip.  I hate it when such a beautiful thing gets damaged.
wintermute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wintermute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 9:38am
I must stop looking at this thread!! Absolutely amazing craftsmanship!!   I think the Mondrian is my favourite from the examples I've seen so far, but they are all stunning!

Tony.
Any intelligence I may appear to have is purely artificial!
training: vintage blade, 729 cream transcend 1.5mm BH and FH
fun: 729 focus snipe III 2.1mm FH & BH, blade you don't want to know ;)
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2016 at 9:42am

For the composition - one of my last blades was the combi blade - Limba - Ayous - Kiri - Ayous - Yellow Cedar

I felt a bit too much vibration with the kiri - only on some days... maye also a user-problem... - and so we chose Ayous as core - to have a bit more solid core. 

Ross said he also could increase the thickness of the Kiri - but I was afraid that the blade is too fast then.

For the Forehandside we switched to Western Red Cedar - to get an softer even better spin feeling

So now it is Limba - Ayous - Ayous - Ayous - Western Red Cedar - And I hope for the perfect alround blade

The handles are absolutely wonderful, but I wonder if you would compare these two blades (when you get the second one)?  And do you still have the first one with the kiri core?
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 3:46am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

The handles are absolutely wonderful, but I wonder if you would compare these two blades (when you get the second one)?  And do you still have the first one with the kiri core?

Hi Andy - yeah - I will definitely compare the limba - ayous - kiri - ayous - yellow cear  combi blade to limba - ayous - ayous - ayous - western red cedar

Because I wanted to see the difference in feel, speed and control from kiri to ayous

I think my my favorite would have been the kiri setup with thin layers of carbon - but I think Ross isn't really enthusiastic about using carbon.

I asked about maybe trying thin layers of IPE - but he said that would be way to heavy.

So we decided to use Ayous - which is a bit heavier - but decrease the core thickness.

So it's a try and we look how it works.

The great thing is again - even if it doesn't work ... it's art :D

Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 3:56am
And here the second one.

As I always want to try faster blades - I reallized that I normally play better with a slower blade, with a defensive chopping style - and only loop-kill when there is a real chance.... as I don't like a fast rally, as I'm to slow or my technique is too bad Cry

So for the second blade I wanted to try a slower balsa setup - we came out with Limba - Ayous - Balsa - Ayous - Limba

For Tassie - here we used the edge strip - as Ross told my that the Balsa really needs it

For the handle ... Always trying to challenge Ross a bit more Evil Smile - So lets make an Escher 3D cube handle

If he can make two different diamonds... then he maybe can also make three differnet diamonds.
Complicated here - with two diamonds the angle - i think - is more or less not so important.

But with the 3D cubes you need 120° and 60° that they fit into each other, and even smaller diamonds for the 3D impression.

And I must say - it worked much much better than I thought possible - the choice of wood was just perfect, and I think the 3D impression really works   Clap

Again, thanks to Ross for both my blades, and I'm really looking forward to test both of the beauties

And here is the result:

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 5:12am
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!  I wanted to do this!  I've been playing with the cube idea for some time but was holding back until Ross seemed ready to tackle it.  It does look insanely good.  Congratulations to you and Ross for an extraordinarily beautiful piece of work.

Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2016 at 8:52am
Sorry Tassie ;)

I think around Christmas when Ross said he is working on the diamonds for himself as a test project for the bavarian diamonds I remembered that the 3D effect is also made of diamonds, and sent him the image from a "flooring company" who had the dimensions for the diamonds.

And he said he will think about it

When we finished the talking about the bavarian handle, I asked if he feels also ready for the 3D cubes... otherwise I would have taken a seconds 2-diamond handle - like the one Ross made for himself - all bright and dark wood - because it looks so traditional, as they did here in bavaria for old furniture.

But he said he can give it a try ... but I think it was quiet hard work, because the diamonds here had to be smaller for the effect and had to fit perfectly into each other.

Again, thanks to Ross for not only thinking about my ideas - but for make them for real, and in such quality and beauty

I don't know where Ross will take us next... but I already think about new design - and hope that he doesn't tell me that I'm totally insane ;)

Edited by Hell-es - 04/09/2016 at 8:55am
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2016 at 1:04am
Congratulations, these are stunning looking blades.
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
Tibhar Evolution MX-P BH/FH
guillem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guillem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2016 at 7:00am
The quality that this man achieves is simply insane.

I'm from Barcelona and no doubt I'll order one day one of those beauties to the Master.

By the way, thanks for the photos.

Guillem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2016 at 3:15pm
I just had that chance to try Bois de Rose for the handle on this blade.   It's really a beautiful rosewood. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2016 at 8:35am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I am amazed by the inlay skills; so much complexity in a such a simple result is a one of those paradoxes of life. The wood grain going vertical everywhere in your initials is a statement standing proud. Thanks for your post.

The secret is to cheat and use a CNC machine.  :)

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 7:37am
Hi all,

I thought I'd like to show you my latest and last blade from Ross.  I'm retiring from the workforce in a few weeks and my disposable income is about to be radically impacted, hence one last opportunity to ask Ross to make me something delicious.  I suspect the design - another Tassie/Ross collaboration - will draw mixed responses, but he and I both think this looks very cool.

The blade is similar to my Weaver: King Billy Pine - Douglas Fir - Kiri - Douglas Fir - King Billy Pine.
The handle is Afzelia with Gaboon Ebony inlays.
(The keen eyed amongst you might notice that the backhand side of the grip is 3mm thicker than the forehand.)

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2017 at 5:22pm

the half vase grip is original: will the round side be for your palm?
Yep.  Fat side sits in palm; the idea is taken from Soul Spins handles.  The half vase shape _ Ross and I call it a knife handle shape - is original and we've developed it over three blades now.  Conventional shake hand grip with the straight edge sitting in the V between thumb and hand with the fingers curving around the belly.

A line up of all my Ross Leidy blades?  I did wonder if anyone would be interested.  Ideally such a photo would show the blades bare to fully appreciate the different outer plies.  At present most of my blades still have rubber on them, but I'll look at preparing them for a photo shoot.  Thanks for your interest, fatt.

Oh, I almost forgot: Ross made himself a version of this latest blade.  His blade actually uses more Australian timber than mine!

Blade:  Australian Red Cedar - Douglas Fir - Kiri - Douglas Fir  - Australian Red Cedar
Handle: Huon Pine with Amboyna inlays

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 1:49am
In response to fatt's request, here we have the evolution of a blade:

From top to bottom and left to right:
Ross's original pistol grip.  Blade: Tasmanian Blackwood.  Handle:  Silky Oak

Straight handles.  
Blade 1: Huon Pine.  Handle 1: Tasmanian Blackwood.  
Blade 2: Willow.  Handle: Oak, Yew, Birch

Knife handles.
Blade 1: Redwood.  Handle 1: Huon Pine, Mytle, Tiger Myrtle
Blade 2: King Billy Pine.  Handle 2: Huon Pine, Myrtle, Beefwood
Blade 3: King Billy Pine.  Handle 3: Afzelia, Gaboon Ebony

pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 9:21am

Ross' version reminds me the colors I'd like in a tt club: dark yellow walls and floors and brown tables. There is such a warm feeling to the combo.

Let me guess - you like orange balls? 

Wink
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2017 at 2:14am
Would also fit the Swiss cheese TT club Wink

Again, Ross has done some wonderful work- and great to see him doing something totally different

as I spent so much money on the last 2 blades - I still have to wait until Ross can tackle my new idea,
so it's nice to see that there a new blades, not that he quits business before I can order Smile
hungry cow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 12:54pm
70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson

FH - Mark V 2.0

BH - Donic Bluefire JP 03 2.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 12:56pm
Didn't like the really big handle that came on my early 70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsan so I took it off and Ross built this beautiful Amboyna Burl with Purpleheart end caps handle for me molded in the shape of a Hock handle for me.

FH - Mark V 2.0

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2018 at 8:27pm
Looks spectacular, Hungry Cow.

MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 1:27am
Just came across this thread for the first time.  Had time to only scan three pages but just beautiful, beautiful work!!  Just wonderful! 

Thanks for sharing the pleasure. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross Leidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2018 at 11:21am
Thanks for the kind words.  I'm glad you enjoyed the stroll through the thread!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2018 at 7:22pm
Ross finished a special handle project for me.  I sent him my favorite blade that has been my primary blade the last 3 years, an early 70s Stiga Stellan Bengtsson.  I sent him a turning block of briar wood from my grandfather in law who passed away last year who was an avid pipe collecter and maker.  All the grandkids got a turning block that he would have used to make a pipe with it.  I had Ross make a handle as a tribute to the burl pipes he made and collected with black gaboon ebony for the end piece like a pipe stem.  It turned out absolutely stunning and looks even better in person than the pictures.  Perfect tribute and way to remember him as well as being as nice a handle as I have seen Ross make.

FH - Mark V 2.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungry cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2018 at 7:26pm
Other side

FH - Mark V 2.0

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2018 at 4:53am
Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2018 at 6:11am
Very nice blade and story

And great that there are some new pictures - I already feared that there are no more blades ;)
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2018 at 12:54pm
Did anyone owned or played with Ross's "Effortless" blade? Was there any reviews on it? Thanks.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2018 at 3:45am
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Did anyone owned or played with Ross's "Effortless" blade? Was there any reviews on it? Thanks.

I don't know the "Effortless".  Do you have any information to share?
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2018 at 11:22am
I do have some info and photos Ross sent me. But I need to get his permission before I can post them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30313233>
  Share Topic