FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Galaxy Mars II (v.2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Galaxy Mars II (v.2)
    Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:09pm
First of all, thanks go to PingPongHolic10 for selling me my first Mars II 39 deg 2.3 mm at a discount. Second, thanks to TTXOnline for discounting my purchase of 41 deg Mars II rubbers (2.3 mm and 2.0 mm) - but of course my review will be impartial, I promise! Wink

I will begin with Mars II 39 deg 2.3 mm (Red):

Weight: 66 g uncut, 48 g cut to a regularly sized blade
Tackiness: very lightly tacky, then it goes away after first 2-3 hours
Thickness: 2.3 mm
Hardness: 39 deg (feels more like 37-38)

Here are some pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/GalaxyMarsII3941

and a couple of pics right here:

There was some tuned-up smell when I opened the vacuum-sealed package with Mars but it was not too pungent - just a regular tuned-up rubber smell. It went away after 2-3 days on the blade, I think...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:09pm
First session with Mars II 39 (cut to the regular SH Btfy sized blade weighed about 48-49 g - mid-heavy I would say, certainly heavier than most of my rubber, but not by much. Palio Blitz is about 46 g, my PME 47.5 about 43-44, and if I cut it to the slightly smaller size of my BBC Ultima then I get about 48 g).

It doesn't feel like 39 degs - more like 37 so it was certainly more controllable and softer in blocks and hits than PME 47.5. A bit spinnier too. I liked it much more than Moon Pro - it feels closer to Euro-Japanese rubbers but with nice spin and control.

After two weeks here what I say:

Speed: a bit slower than Tenergy and PME 47.5. Not by a lot - maybe 5-7%. At the table and one-two steps away you will barely feel it. However, if you play 3-4 steps away then the rubber can bottom out at hard loops and in this case speed will drop. You need to really invest in brushing more than in driving to engage the sponge and the spring in it. I am hoping it will be better with 41 deg version.

Spin: definitely better than PME Hard. I would say comparable with Tenergy. After a good loop done with Mars II, you can certainly get very good and consistent loop arc and then the ball suddenly drops off the table in the best traditions of tuned spinny rubbers of the old days. Serves are very nice, with considerable spin, when you really dig into the sponge - something that I can rarely do with PME.

Control: better than PME Hard. However this comes at a price. The bounce is not as clean and crisp as with PME, it is rather muffled in gentler, mid-power shots (similar to Tenergy when you are doing same kind of shots) so you will need to adjust your blocking technique, pushes etc. Also, better than Tenergy when confronted with incoming spin. See sensitivity item below.

Tackiness: gone... as in - completely gone. It was actually gone after one week. This really feels and plays like classic Euro-Japanese rubber

Sensitivity: certainly better than with Tenergy. Perhaps a bit more sensitive than PME Hard (no surprise there) but still head and shoulders above soft German tensors and Tenergy.

Catapult: not a lot. It is there a bit in quick game at the table but I didn't feel much of it in loops. However, the sponge is springy enough to launch the ball where you need it. Just don't run too far from the table and expect the rubber do the job of adding some extra push on top of your swing.

Throw angle: higher than PME 47.5, somewhere in between PME and Tenergy. Generally it is still in the lower half of the range, imho.

Fragility: cannot say yet. Topsheet still looks good after two weeks of constant play. I haven't hit it on the table so I cannot say if it rips easily... I hope not. Smile

Longevity: again, that's an unknown. I promise to get back to ya on that...

Price: at 15-17 dollars (eBay offers them even at 12 but you don't get to choose hardness and thickness) this is a great alternative to Tenergy (regular and FX) for players below 2000. And even for many of those above 2000 who for some reason think they need Tenergy.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:11pm
More on Mars II 39 MAX:

Looping: better than PME Hard, comparable to T-05. I get more loops landing on the table than with Macro Era. Generally, the reason is that Mars is not as springy as PME 47.5 so the same looping motion produces a rounder arc resulting in a somewhat shorter ball. Allows you to loop balls which are quite low or even under the table - with a pretty speedy bounce on the other side. PME is more linear in that regard, probably due to harder sponge.

Driving: a bit slower and more tentative than PME, but at least as good as T-05. With a little adjustment I got used to it pretty quickly.

Serving: as I said before, better than with PME. If you dig into the sponge properly then you will get a very nice spin, with balls bouncing off on the other side with some very inconvenient result for your opponent. Underspin serves are also more dangerous. Quite comparable with T-05 in that regard, even if a player with a very good serving technique could probably get a bit more out of Tenergy rubber, 95% of us won't be able to tell the difference.

Push/slice/short game: very good control in short game. But I needed to adjust my pushes a little since I was used to a quicker bounce. Pushes and slices are spinnier. However, catapult effect in the short game is non-existent - unlike with tensors or T-05 - so don't count on your short push to have considerable underspin.

Blocking/smash/flat game: pretty good for a softer spinnier rubber. Not as good as PME, but then not a lot of the rubbers are... really. Still, in my opinion, at least as good as T-05. Definitely better than almost all semi-tacky Chinese rubbers (even from new generation) I used before.

Chopping: it's OK. Not super great, but OK. Doesn't produce heavy underspin but controls the ball very nicely. If you are doing it from afar you might need to add some oomph to your chops as Mars sometimes (not always) lacks the speed to deliver the ball to the other side simply from regualr downward chop. You will need to add some forward guidance, so to speak.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2011 at 10:49pm
Now - Mars II 41 deg 2.3 mm (Black)

Weight: 72 g uncut, 50 g cut to a regularly sized blade, 48 g cut to BBC Ultima
Tackiness: practically none
Thickness: 2.3 mm
Hardness: 41 deg

Pictures are at the same location

https://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/GalaxyMarsII3941

and a couple of them here (Mars II 41 deg MAX (black))

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 5:12am
The most important thing about Mars 2 is persistence. In 2 months, you will be rewarded with bounce and catapult too.

Durability is much better than of Sun or Moon, esp. spongewise. Before gluing a mars on to the blade, apply some baby oil to make sure that the sponge will not be damaged in any way when removing the glue. Clean the topsheet every once and while with the same baby oil. This will also increase the elasticity.

Still, my experience shows that Mars 2 performs ways better on a thin (under 5.5) and flexible blade.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 10:06am
Thanks for the great reviews. 

Is this basically a rubber for someone who doesn't want to pay $35 a sheet - the price of PME or something similar, or are there other types of players who may be interested in purchasing Mars II V2. Who  is currently stocking this product?

Edited by richrf - 12/23/2011 at 11:05am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 11:49am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 3:34pm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Thanks for the great reviews. 

Is this basically a rubber for someone who doesn't want to pay $35 a sheet - the price of PME or something similar, or are there other types of players who may be interested in purchasing Mars II V2. Who  is currently stocking this product?

My main impression from Mars II so far is that it is the most Euro-Japanese rubber of all Galaxy rubbers I have tried so far - Venus, Moon Pro, Sun (I am not even mentioning Apollo which is ridiculously tacky and heavy). However there might be some others out there, I haven't tried them all (and have no intention to do that).

Hardness of 39 degrees plays great for those who do not run far from the table - it got great looping ability, good stopping power on blocking (which will be however rather slow and high throw, unless you readjust your angle and blocking motion). It has very good short game, touch and push/slice. Less superb are - flat smashes/hits and play away from the table. On counter-loops from 3-4 steps rubber can unexpectedly bottom out so you need to watch out for that.

I would certainly recommend Mars 39 in 2.0 even for developing players, but I am sure it will play just fine for up to 2000 USATT level players provided they do not go too far off the  table. Very good, consistent and reliable rubber - no super surprises but with all the pluses that we need in mid-level Euro-Jap offensive rubber and with almost no minuses as I can see.

Summary (for Mars II 39 deg): Moderately fast OFF rubber which is very versatile and reliable. Great short game control which is paired up with fast attack capability and lots of spin when you need it. If you are offensive-minded player who likes controlled attack and close to the table game, and you still use old-style Sriver EL or Mark V but would like to switch to something new and less expensive, this is one great option!

One thing that I do not know - is how long does the tuning last. And despite the fact that the rubber is touted as having a Nanotension sponge (suggesting that it's a special sponge, not a sponge boosted with VOCs), the vacuum-packing and the smell hint at the presence of tuners.

Now - about Mars II 41 deg MAX. My first impression was - oh jeez, this kinda sucks, why don't they have hardness 40, in between this and 39. The thing is that during the first hour the rubber played in a rather hard-sponged manner of PME Hard. I couldn't get the ball to properly dig into the sponge on some counterloops or on opening high-arc loops, push/slice was certainly worse than with 39, and serves were not as spinny.

So I thought why do you need this rubber if it plays the same as PME 47.5 but with tuning which will probably go away in a month or so (unlike tensor sponge of PME which keeps playing more or less the same for a very long period of time).

But as the practice progressed the rubber started to soften up a bit, I gotten used to it and here it is:

Speed: on par with Tenergy and PME 47.5.

Spin: somewhat better than PME Hard. Loses comparison to Tenergy but not by a huge amount. I do not see a nice dip after other-side-of-the-table bounce as I could see with 39... perhaps it will come. So far it is more speed than spin.

Control: on par with PME Hard. The bounce is faster and while still not as crisp as with PME, it is good, well "pronounced", with nice control.

Tackiness: none. Just zero.

Sensitivity: even better than 39 - no comparison with Tenergy which is really sensitive rubber. Imho even a tad less sensitive than PME Hard.

Catapult: still don't feel it. However the problem that I had with 39 - not enough power away from the table or when I quickly put the paddle in front of the coming ball, not having time to execute a proper stroke - that issue went away. As expected...

Throw angle: on par with PME 47.5, low throw rubber.

I will play more with this one - I need at least a week or more and then I will post further impressions. I have also bought a 2.0 version of Mars II-41 - that might be a sought-after perfect compromise for me. We'll see.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=galaxy-mars-v2

Both Megaspin and TTXonline charge you 5 dollars S&H - unless you get more than $50 order with Megaspin.

Ttnpp.com - I like those guys, btw - unfortunately is stocking only soft versions. However, you can contact the guy and ask if he could get you other hardness as well.

And the German store is just simply more expensive. Instead of $17.99 they charge the same amount - but in Euros. And S&H is probably more, as well. However they claim to have some unusual thicknesses - 1.9 and 2.1 - which could be a typo, of course.

dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 3:59pm
I think Galaxy can make you any thickness and hardness within reason, so I wouldn't be shocked at a great deal of variety in their rubbers.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 4:07pm
Thanks for the great reviews. The general impression I get is that the rubbers are better than average for someone who is seeking Euro/Jap style rubbers (i.e. non-tacky) but do not have the long range characteristics of the tensors which are twice as expensive but also probably have more durability (to be seen). So if someone wants to get a present for oneself and doesn't want to pay $35/sheet for Palio, this would be a good option. However, they may end up missing long range catapulting effects of the Palio and other tensors. For close in games they are fine and in some respects better than Palio and other tensors. Probably not considering if someone is currently using Tenergy. 

Colestt has the best shipping policy by far. But it doesn't look like they are carrying this product yet. I am not an EJ by any means. I have been using Fortissimo for two years and my first Honda Accord lasted 17 years. :-) 

I just ordered a couple of sheets of Rakza 7 which i got from tabletennis11.com at $32 a sheet (no VAT charge) and am waiting for them to arrive. I have another blade that I want to load up with a couple of other sheets of rubber that I may want to try out. Mars II v.2 is a candidate but I just don't think it is going to impress me in any way other than it is a half the cost. I might rather want to compare Palio Blitz to the Rakza 7. Or even take a gulp and buy a Tenergy for a real-life comparison to tensor. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by dingyibvs dingyibvs wrote:

I think Galaxy can make you any thickness and hardness within reason, so I wouldn't be shocked at a great deal of variety in their rubbers.

On this subject I get lots of confusing comments from different dealers. Some claim that they are only producing one grade of hardness but are stamping them any way that a dealer asks for. Or maybe they are just tuning them a bit differently. Ditto for the different thicknesses of Haifu rubber. It is hard for me to get a handle on how they are able to set up production for such a wide variety of rubbers unless they may be being produced in different factories. Rubber production and distribution remains a big mystery to me. How much is real and how much is marketing?? I tried to trace back the original manufacturer of Haifu and couldn't find the website for whatever company is producing it - just a distributor. What is real and what is not - only the guys in the production line knows for sure, and maybe not even them. It is all a great mystery. 

Edited by richrf - 12/23/2011 at 4:14pm
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 5:17pm

On this subject I get lots of confusing comments from different dealers. Some claim that they are only producing one grade of hardness but are stamping them any way that a dealer asks for. Or maybe they are just tuning them a bit differently. Ditto for the different thicknesses of Haifu rubber. It is hard for me to get a handle on how they are able to set up production for such a wide variety of rubbers unless they may be being produced in different factories. Rubber production and distribution remains a big mystery to me. How much is real and how much is marketing?? I tried to trace back the original manufacturer of Haifu and couldn't find the website for whatever company is producing it - just a distributor. What is real and what is not - only the guys in the production line knows for sure, and maybe not even them. It is all a great mystery. 

Nah, there's a definite difference between the hardnesses.  I've had many Galaxy Mercury II rubbers, including 3 36 degrees, 2 37 degrees, 1 39 degrees, and 10 35 degrees, and they all feel true to their hardness ratings.  Making them different thickness is probably pretty easy, just vary the depth of the mold.  Making them of different hardness is only slightly more challenging, as it comes quite naturally through the sponge making process.  They make a big slab at a time, you naturally get softer sponge in the middle of the slab and harder sponge on the periphery(or was it the other way around?  Doesn't matter).  It's probably easier to make the variation bigger than to make it smaller, so it's probably actually much less costly for them to make rubbers of all sorts of hardness than to make say the Tenergies which all have 36 degree sponge.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2011 at 8:38pm
In any case I intend to send the cutouts to my friend with a durometer so we will see if the readings are more or less consistent with the stamps. So far, 39 felt more like 37, 41 felt like 39 - but that's just the subjective feeling of mine. Same as Blitz felt to me noticeably (around 2 degs diff) softer than PME Hard but they are both marked as 47.5.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 4:04am

On this subject I get lots of confusing comments from different dealers. Some claim that they are only producing one grade of hardness but are stamping them any way that a dealer asks for.

This is certainly not true. I can hardly feel the difference in 1 degree for Mars 2, but 2 degrees are already a big difference. Yinhe can produce any thickness from 1.5 to 2.4 and any hardness from 33 to 41, provided the quantity ordered is not less than 10 per kind, say, 10 red 1.9 @ 33. And the rubbers ordered are not less than 200.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 10:40am

On this subject I get lots of confusing comments from different dealers. Some claim that they are only producing one grade of hardness but are stamping them any way that a dealer asks for.

This is certainly not true. I can hardly feel the difference in 1 degree for Mars 2, but 2 degrees are already a big difference. Yinhe can produce any thickness from 1.5 to 2.4 and any hardness from 33 to 41, provided the quantity ordered is not less than 10 per kind, say, 10 red 1.9 @ 33. And the rubbers ordered are not less than 200.

So you are saying anyone can ask them to produce, say, 40 deg hardness and 2.2 thickness for Mars II as long as they buy 10 rubbers? Or does it have to be 200 but in batches of 10 or more?

40 deg hardness in 2.2-2.3 is the one I would be very much willing to buy. Hopefully TTXOnline or Megaspin will order those. It should be a great rubber - no bottoming out like 39 and no loss of touch like in 41. PLEASE!!

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 11:19am
The first time I've ordered 200 rubbers in different degrees and thickness (1.8, 2.0 and 2.3). The only degree I didn't order was precisely 40. :) I have also noticed that red rubbers are softer - or black rubbers are harder, by 1 or even 2 degrees.
My other impression is that Mars 2 perform two times better on thin and flexible blades.

P.S. 1.7, 1.9 and 2.1 are not typos. Next time I am going to order precisely this kind of thickness in different degrees. And also 1.5 for a change.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 2:06pm
Understood. Perhaps I should play with Red Mars 41 then. Still would be really nice to try 40 deg and see if that is exactly what needed.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 2:18pm
How do you find the black Mars 41?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 3:50pm

How do you find the black Mars 41?

I have already started writing about 41 - see a few posts above.

zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2011 at 10:38pm
the softer degree 36.. not sure if they are lighter also.. like a lighter rubber for backhand :)
This rubber suitable for backhand?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by zheyi zheyi wrote:

the softer degree 36.. not sure if they are lighter also.. like a lighter rubber for backhand :)
This rubber suitable for backhand?

I liked 39 as a backhand rubber for blocking and short  game but haven't really tried it in all aspects of the game. 41 was unexpectedly slow in short game or blocking, so I quickly turned it around...

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2011 at 2:18pm
You cannot tell which degree is lighter because rubbers have different size - 171x171, 167x167, etc.

And yes, Mars 2 is especially suitable for backhand, I would say, universally fit for BH.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 11:41am
Continuing on Mars II 41 deg (Black) - I had two more full-length practices with it

I have used a bit of olive oil treatment on the topsheet trying to make it a tad softer - perhaps it worked, I am not sure. Or maybe it just gotten naturally softer, break-in period is over, I guess... maybe.

Anyways,

Blocking: very good, fast low block. Works better for me than with T-05 or even Karate Hard. On par with PME Hard.

Smash/drive: again, better than with tensors. More or less on par with PME Hard, perhaps better.

Looping: it's getting better. Opening loop still needs work. But counterlooping seems to be better than with PME, I get a little more feeling/feedback when I do that element.

Chopping: needs adjustment. What I liked, however, is when I do it right, it gives me a very controlled low trajectory. But - there is always a but, right - not a lot of underspin when it finally reaches its destination.

Short game: better than with PME. On par with T-05. Good control at the net, nice push and all. Flicks are not as good - it seems that with the short swing it doesn't grip the ball as well as tensors do. Needs some work on my part.

====

Also - about Mars II 39. My clubmate (around 2000 USATT level) liked the topsheet on my Mars very much and asked if he could try and play it. But he plays with softer rubbers (36-37 deg) so I gave him my lightly used Mars 39 deg (which feels like 37), and he promised to play with it and will let me know his impressions.

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 11:58am
Thanks for the update Jim. Are you thinking about switching to Mars II (V.2) or are you suggesting that Mars II (v.2) is a possible low cost substitute for PME or Tenergy? Do you have any videos of you playing so that I better understand you playing style. 

Thanks again for the reviews!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2011 at 12:06pm

Thanks for the update Jim. Are you thinking about switching to Mars II (V.2) or are you suggesting that Mars II (v.2) is a possible low cost substitute for PME or Tenergy? Do you have any videos of you playing so that I better understand you playing style. 

Thanks again for the reviews!

I am already using Mars II for the last 3 weeks on my FH instead of PME. First two weeks were with 39 deg but since I am playing a lot of balls further away from the table, 39 is really not the best option for me, so I switched to 41 deg version - for about a week now.

Next on the list - same rubber in 41 deg but in Red to see if Imago is right about Red rubbers being a little softer. That could be the best option for me.

As for videos - there are some on YouTube when I am practicing with PME on FH, Blitz on BH - but I ma not sure if that will give you any kind of insight. I do not look good there at all... I will PM you one of them.

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2011 at 2:03pm
Hi Jim,
I play with palio macro era(is it the PME??)the 42.5 degree version in MAX thickness on FH. It seems that Mars II 2.3 mm 39 deg is a good sub for me. Do you have any idea?
TIA
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2011 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Hi Jim,
I play with palio macro era(is it the PME??)the 42.5 degree version in MAX thickness on FH. It seems that Mars II 2.3 mm 39 deg is a good sub for me. Do you have any idea?
TIA

I wold say that Mars 39 (RED, I am not sure about BLACK - read Imago's comments on this issue) will be just a little harder than PME 42.5. So I would say yes, you should definitely try it out; or perhaps 37-38 deg version?

I intend to send the cutout pieces of all my Mars rubbers to a friend of mine who has durometer to measure the hardness for them. We will see if Imago's suspicion has a real basis under it - and we will see how the measured hardness corresponds to the official one. I promise to post the results as soon as they are in.

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2012 at 1:23am
thx JimT,
will try the Mar2 after my PME turns dead. It is interesting. There has pro version for sun and Moon, but Mars has no pro version.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic