Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Return Board

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
dorfmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorfmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2015 at 5:10pm
I just got a Joola Midsize table. It has a "feel" that is even smaller than expected but I have little room. I am pretty sure the Wall Rebounder makes more sense for me than a robot.

Anyone want to argue the relative merits of the cheapest Newgy robot or an Ipong over the rebounder?
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2015 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by dorfmeister dorfmeister wrote:

I just got a Joola Midsize table. It has a "feel" that is even smaller than expected but I have little room. I am pretty sure the Wall Rebounder makes more sense for me than a robot.

Anyone want to argue the relative merits of the cheapest Newgy robot or an Ipong over the rebounder?

I see there is a robot designed to work with midi table called TTW TAIDE 5 Robot. It comes packaged with a 2m table.

http://tabletennisworld.com.au/table-tennis-robots/robots/ttw-taide-5-robot-package-deal

Too bad all AUS links of return board are long gone. Import one of this, even if possible, may not be cheap and easy.
dorfmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorfmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2015 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

Originally posted by dorfmeister dorfmeister wrote:

I see there is a robot designed to work with midi table called TTW TAIDE 5 Robot. It comes packaged with a 2m table.

http://tabletennisworld.com.au/table-tennis-robots/robots/ttw-taide-5-robot-package-deal

Too bad all AUS links of return board are long gone. Import one of this, even if possible, may not be cheap and easy.

That looks possibly interesting but I am in the United States. A return board appears to be a more economical solution.
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2015 at 4:51pm
What kind of rubbers would be better for a return board? I have one with cheap chinese rubbers but the are sensitive to spin, and sometimes I put some balls out of the table when playing strong stopspin. What should be the solution? Some insentive rubbers or different board material? (i'm using mdf, not wood)
Wally Rebounder View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Rebounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2015 at 5:19pm
I would recommend training level rubbers like 729, 999 or Galaxy you definitely don't want aggressive low throw angle rubbers. To keep ball from going off the table with topspin more angle on the board is better. If you're able to get board tilt downward over 45 degree angle from vertical it will help. Distancing either yourself and/or the board away from table will also help. Good luck.
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2015 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by assam assam wrote:

What kind of rubbers would be better for a return board?

Tenergy. It's kind of like bacon, it improves everything.

LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist. Please ignore that comment.

Real answer: Something not overly sensitive would be good, otherwise the ball goes off at crazy angles and trajectories.

jfolsen

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 4:02am
I have made my own boards. In the beginning I ct old rubbers and the result was pretty decent. Then later on I bought a bulk of 729 and now the board plays more evenly which isn't exactly better. If you make a little search you may find pictures of what I did. It is stable, strong, cheap and very much fun
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: T64 and Similar
BH: Nothing Helps
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 4:07am
Thanks. I've used a couple of 729 rubbers and I'm waiting for some from Yinhe. Let's see how they play... I've also use old rubber but the gap between them is anoying
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Wally Rebounder Wally Rebounder wrote:

I would recommend training level rubbers like 729, 999 or Galaxy you definitely don't want aggressive low throw angle rubbers. To keep ball from going off the table with topspin more angle on the board is better. If you're able to get board tilt downward over 45 degree angle from vertical it will help. Distancing either yourself and/or the board away from table will also help. Good luck.

The problem with a more closed angle is the first ball we trow, before the topspin play
Wally Rebounder View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Rebounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 11:22am
The first ball is really the dividing factor when it comes to rebound boards. It's the trickiest to play as the ball wants to return either right at you or towards your backhand which most people aren't prepared for. I have a solution which I send to my customers that shows how to compensate for this and if you forward your email and can send you. But basically on your first ball you need to put side spin (push) on ball so it lands in front of you or angle the board such that it allows ball to return again in front of you. There are also two ways to start first ball either drop on table then hit to other side or throw in air and hit to other side. Maybe you can try throw in air method and use more looping stroke again adding a little side push away from you. The looping will help compensate for the more closed board.
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2015 at 1:34pm
Yes, that's what I've been doing too. Thanks
Tuly007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuly007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2015 at 4:25pm
Wally, if I were to buy now what rubbers are u using now on the boards,???seems that Fedex is the only option, do u know the shipping time that it will take for the pkge to land in Michigan???? Tnx

Btw Wally I sent u a private message
still testing

apex600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apex600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:18am
I posted my progress in another topic about this but might as well make a link here:

Link

Edited by apex600 - 09/30/2016 at 8:19am
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 9:08am
I pull spotted, heavy, or otherwise set-aside rubbers to sell for $2 or 3 for return boards. 
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Setiriag View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setiriag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2017 at 4:40pm
Hello everyone,

i'm new here, i'm from Colombia and i have my own TT Club in Bogot√°. I would like to buy a return board but the big problem now is his price... almost 200 USD... like some of you i will make my own Return Board and i'm thinking in some like the TSPTT Return board pro. I think that it is very practical for practice topspins and serves. 

My question is: What size should it?

¬°Extreme Game Table Tennis Club in Colombia!
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2017 at 7:05pm
The bigger the better. Seriously
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: T64 and Similar
BH: Nothing Helps
BigFatLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigFatLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2017 at 9:34pm
Hi all.  Another great use for a return board is for trying new rubber/blade combinations so you don't have to wait for the club to open or for a partner to hit with you.  As long as you remember that the return board takes the place of a human "blocker" you can still get a good idea how your new equipment feels.  If you angle the board correctly you can hit or loop as hard as you can and the ball will return to you to keep the rally going and this has proven helpful to me when trying to decide which blade/rubber combination "feels" better with offensive shots.

Since you are not looking for the return board to "loop" or "chop" your shots back, but rather to just "block" your shots, then it may not be necessary to have actual TT rubbers on the return board. You can use sheets of neoprene (http://www.foambymail.com/NE_/neoprene-skins.html) or something similar.  You can slightly "stretch" the neoprene when gluing it to the board surface to give you a bouncier and faster block or just lay it on loosely for a flatter return, or do both in different sections of the board.

IMHO a return board is sometimes better than a human partner: always ready when you are, more consistent, gives back what you put into it, doesn't cheat, ...  I haven't tried it on my over-the-table, home-made version yet but I think it could be angled in such a way so you can do multiple pushes, chops, and even serves.  You will have to reset the angle and distance for every type of shot you want to practice but it doesn't take long, if properly designed.  It helps to have some bird netting set up behind the board to catch your missed shots.

As with everything else, if you are willing to go for it and try to hit every ball returned by the board you will get a great workout and may even improve your footwork.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic