FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Breaking 2000 - Now in Paperback!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking 2000 - Now in Paperback!
    Posted: 01/23/2012 at 2:15pm
Whether you know me on the forum, personally, or both, today is a year anniversary since I broke 2000 USATT after two years and four months of hard training. For me it was the biggest highlight, the biggest achievement in table tennis to date. A little over two years as an adult, I was able to go from USATT 1200 to over USATT 2000. Today, however I am excited to announce that I achieved another milestone.

Today, I finally published a book describing my experience training and competing. It is a memoir and a tutorial in one. It is a book that I wish I had access to when I began playing. My playing days have slowed down significantly since my wife's high risk pregnancy and now a newborn, but I hope that the book will provide enough inspiration to many other players to continue striving to excel and succeed.

It is available as an ebook in Kindle with future releases in Google ebooks and a printed copies to come in the future. I will avoid any type of additional advertising for the sake of the forum. Last thing I want it to be seemed as a troll to the community. However, if you have read my posts in the past and found any value in them, you will discover a lot more in the book.

Without further ado, I present to you "Breaking 2000".

Available as an eBook for Kindle ( with Kindle, or apps for PC, iPhone, Android, etc ) or Paperback

Thank you all!

Leshxa

Edited by Leshxa - 02/18/2012 at 2:12am
AllezCho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllezCho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 2:21pm
Wow! Congrats on your acheivements Leshxa! It is an incredible accomplishment to publish a book, and I look forward to reading it soon. Smile
Viscaria
T05/T64
culaopho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote culaopho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 2:23pm
Congratulations!!!  I will check your book out when it is available.
pipigrande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipigrande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 3:05pm
Congrats Leshxa!!!

To me, you are the BEST poster in this forum. You are always very insightful in your posts and I have learned so much just from reading your posts.

Hope you have lots of success from this book, I myself will be getting your book as soon as it is released and will recommend it to my friends without any hesitation. It will be my very first book that I will get in TT.

Good luck!
Acoustic
BH: T64
FH: BW2
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 3:08pm
Great title! Btw it should be "without further ado".
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 3:21pm
Congratulations on reaching your goals : )
Current:

Avalox BT777 / FH: YinHe Moon Pro / BH: Adidas TenZone
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 3:29pm
Alex, great job! Is it possible for you to simply post the ePub or fb2 or html file somewhere on a file server (Megaupload is closed now but some other server perhaps? )... or is not not free? please clarify!

Thanks, and kudos once again!

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 4:02pm
Thank you all very much for the warm words. I am glad to hear that there is some interest in my book. I just hope after reading it that you'll feel the same way Big smile

This is probably the wrong time for a joke, but then why not!

Originally posted by pipigrande pipigrande wrote:

To me, you are the BEST poster in this forum.

Thank you for your comment. It really feels good to know that I am able to contribute, but I must say that there are many members that I personally look up to on the forum for their input. Perhaps your description suggests that I probably spend the most amount of time typing up responses ( my wife constantly makes fun of me saying I keep posting novels. )

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Alex, great job! Is it possible for you to simply post the ePub or fb2 or html file somewhere on a file server (Megaupload is closed now but some other server perhaps? )... or is not not free? please clarify!

Regarding price the book. It is not free for several reasons. One of which goes back to the days when I played chess. My chess coach told me once "I can teach you for free, but I won't. If you learn it free, you will never appreciate it".

With the royalties offered I know I definitely won't be a rich man, nor will I acquire budget to buy butterfly equipment all of a sudden. It is simply a way to support other efforts I have in the plan for table tennis. These efforts are not personal, they will benefit the whole community, but it is far too early to talk about it.

In short, the book is priced less than a three-pack of table tennis balls. If you compare the knowledge and effort to three balls that are broken at a rate of at least once per training day, I hope you will recognize the value.

I also would like to mention that with Kindle library ( where you can "lend" books ), the book is free the first 90 days, but you can read up on it from Kindle. I also allowed booksharing as an option to share the book among friends for free for 14 days.

JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 4:08pm
I am not sure why but clicking on eBook doesn't lead me anywhere... :(
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 4:20pm
I'll buy a printed copy one.
Rating breakdown :
Serve:400,FH:400, BH:500,Footwork:1000,Equipment:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73mrC1mSByA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgFPhC3nLs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3gdCtKkaow
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 4:25pm
congrats on your first book!
i will be buying this book. also see you at the club next weekend alex. 
shay

Edited by shay2be - 01/23/2012 at 4:31pm
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I am not sure why but clicking on eBook doesn't lead me anywhere... :(

I know I am sorry. I made a post only to realize that Kindle does not publish immediately. It goes through some kind of a 12 hours process. I'll update the links and will post them here once Kindle sends me the confirmation.

Embarrassed
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Wow. Thanks! I am very surprised that you are interested in it. I know your true rating :).

The paper book will be out in about two months. I am working things out with print on demand publishing. Got to save the trees.

Edited by Leshxa - 01/23/2012 at 5:06pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 7:21pm
nice one! congratz
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR, NEXY, JOOLA, ALSER & XVT

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Wow. Thanks! I am very surprised that you are interested in it. I know your true rating :).

The paper book will be out in about two months. I am working things out with print on demand publishing. Got to save the trees.

You know what? I want the one signed by you.
PM me when printed one is out.
Rating doesn't matter. This's the kind of stuff I like to read. You know "how to get to 2000" more than me. This book might make me understand sub-2000 players better. Will be useful info when I coach 1500-1800 players. 

Edited by bogeyhunter - 01/23/2012 at 11:04pm
Rating breakdown :
Serve:400,FH:400, BH:500,Footwork:1000,Equipment:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73mrC1mSByA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgFPhC3nLs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3gdCtKkaow
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:05pm
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:19pm

You know what? I want the one signed by you.

Tell you what, its a deal!
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:39pm
So, what makes 2000 such a special milestone, or is that mentioned in the book too?
Why is 1900 not a good goal, or 2100 for that matter?  Just wondering...
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by sunilid sunilid wrote:

So, what makes 2000 such a special milestone, or is that mentioned in the book too?

Ratings are subjective so different numbers mean different things. Officially however, 2000 implies the barrier within a USATT reating system where the player crosses intermediate level and becomes an advanced player.

On the other hand, how could you not like a nice round number of 2000. Think back to year 2000. That year stood out while it wasn't really any special.
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:48pm

Ratings are subjective so different numbers mean different things. Officially however, 2000 implies the barrier within a USATT reating system where the player crosses intermediate level and becomes an advanced player.

On the other hand, how could you not like a nice round number of 2000. Think back to year 2000. That year stood out while it wasn't really any special.

While some may believe it is the barrier between intermediate/advanced, I personally feel the number is actually higher (given my games against other 2000-players). 
Though I like the fact it is a round number, so why not :)
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2012 at 11:58pm

While some may believe it is the barrier between intermediate/advanced, I personally feel the number is actually higher (given my games against other 2000-players). 
Though I like the fact it is a round number, so why not :)

I completely agree with you, that is why I said implies. It is implied by looking at the USATT web site's membership rating chart.

In reality the barrier cannot be measured precisely because it really depends on lots of factors. It depends on geographic area, it depends on player's tournament exposure and it obviously depends on the tournament results. The system exists and is far from perfect, but one needs a goal to achieve. In my case, my goal was to get to 2000. That's what the book is about. I set my goal to get there very aggressively and I was disappointed not to be able to get there by the set time, but eventually it was achieved. Hence the book.

Hopefully it explains it. Its by no means a magic number. I hope that players get to that that goal sooner than I did and aim and achieve a lot higher results. Personally, I always get excited to see someone improve, it is admirable and inspirational. Perhaps that is why I wanted to share my story.
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 1:34am

I completely agree with you, that is why I said implies. It is implied by looking at the USATT web site's membership rating chart.

In reality the barrier cannot be measured precisely because it really depends on lots of factors. It depends on geographic area, it depends on player's tournament exposure and it obviously depends on the tournament results. The system exists and is far from perfect, but one needs a goal to achieve. In my case, my goal was to get to 2000. That's what the book is about. I set my goal to get there very aggressively and I was disappointed not to be able to get there by the set time, but eventually it was achieved. Hence the book.

Hopefully it explains it. Its by no means a magic number. I hope that players get to that that goal sooner than I did and aim and achieve a lot higher results. Personally, I always get excited to see someone improve, it is admirable and inspirational. Perhaps that is why I wanted to share my story.

Yes, and it's admirable that you have written a book to share your experiences with others.
Of-course, one has to sustain that rating or higher  to *really* say that they have
reached/crossed the barrier (whatever that may be), and achieved the status of
an 'advanced' player.
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 2:54am
It's a good example to follow by those who have broken 2300 too. And their English is not their mother tongue. You remind me of Joseph Conrad.  Smile
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 8:02am

Come on guys, 2000 is just a number for the 1st (and probably the last) mile stone (goal) set by most TT players, and only about %20 made it in their life time, and fewer still, made it in a alotted time frame.  Leshxa is one of these few, so congratulation, and I will definitily want to read about it.  BTW - Can I read it in ITouch? Never get any ebook before, so I may want to wait for a print copy...

I think this book is going to be a really good book, not great mind you, as I am sure it will not have any romance in it.  No one under 70 yrs old is brave, or stupid enough recount that in their book, specially with the chief editor is the wife Smile.

Edited by mhnh007 - 01/24/2012 at 8:03am
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 9:09am
Hey Lex -

Congratulation on the milestone!

I'm looking forward to the book; I may purchase additional copies for some of my TT buddies as gift ideas.

I think you do an amazing job explaining things; making complex concepts more straightforward, while still using a level of detail for those of use who like to understand the "why" of things.

So thank you again for your contributions to our forum!
US1260.RC1087 . 2011 maine state champ CLASS B . virtuosoL.tinARC<
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 10:49am

I wanna read the book.  But I don't have Kindle Smile

Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 11:32am
I just read your intro. and definitely will purchase the paperback version when it's available (don't have a kindle). I can relate to some of the things you were writing as a new player picking up the sport, as my story is similar, but I'm amazed you scored in the mid 1200's with only a couple of weeks of training. I've never seen a player, in the year that I've played get over 1000, in the first couple of months. I'm not sure if that is location or you were just naturally gifted. My first tournament 8 months into my journey put me at 1158, but i played a lot of garage pong that probably helped my progress.

But reading about your story has gotten me motivated to reach 1500 by the end of the year (which will be 2 years of serious playing) and 2000 in five!  Better get my butt going!
CURRENT BLADE- Xiom Vega Euro

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

You remind me of Joseph Conrad.  Smile

Catch 22 Joseph Conrad? Lol, why do I remind you of him?

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I think this book is going to be a really good book, not great mind you, as I am sure it will not have any romance in it.  No one under 70 yrs old is brave, or stupid enough recount that in their book, specially with the chief editor is the wife Smile.

Oh, and point well taken about romance. I guess if I write the next book, I will need to include some romance. So far all I can say about romance is that my wife tried to be my editor, but since she calls me a table tennis geek, I had to turn down her editing skills Big smile

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

BTW - Can I read it in ITouch? Never get any ebook before, so I may want to wait for a print copy...

Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

I wanna read the book.  But I don't have Kindle Smile

Guys, Kindle is just a platform. Certainly you can read the book using the Kindle gadget, but Kindle is also available on all other devices as an App. There is also such a thing as Kindle for PC, so you can read books from your PC using a Kindle program.

If there is really a strong demand for another platform, once the 90 day Kindle restriction is lifted, I will publish the book on other sites.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic