Advertising on MyTableTennis.NET
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Breaking 2000 - Now in Paperback!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 2:00pm
I'm very intrigued by the book.  The first few chapters are really good, I can definitely relate to that as those scenes were some that I frequently visited when I first started out table tennis.  Please let me know when the hard copy arrives, I'm very excited to reading it! 

Congratulations btw, 2000 is my goal as well and I hope to achieve it by the end of the year.
RSM G-Max w/ Tenergy 05
Timo Boll T5000 cpen w/ MX-P + Boost TC

My Feedbacks
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

You remind me of Joseph Conrad.  Smile

Catch 22 Joseph Conrad? Lol, why do I remind you of him?

catch-22 is joseph heller. Joseph conrad is Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent. Heller is american, conrad is polish.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

You remind me of Joseph Conrad.  Smile

Catch 22 Joseph Conrad? Lol, why do I remind you of him?

catch-22 is joseph heller. Joseph conrad is Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent. Heller is american, conrad is polish.

I'm a fool. Lol. I made the same mistake in high school. I always get these two confused. Heart of Darkness is about that trip down to Africa, I remember it slightly.
Aldrichboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aldrichboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 2:52pm
Leshxa,

Your story is very encouraging. I have a friend (and you probably knew him too) who can beat 2200 level players sometime at club but never break 2000 level at tournament no matter how many times he has tried. 

After you break 2000, you have only talked about the first part of your story. What about after that, can you stay above that level?

What is your next level to break and how soon you will reach that level?

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Aldrichboy Aldrichboy wrote:

Leshxa,

Your story is very encouraging. I have a friend (and you probably knew him too) who can beat 2200 level players sometime at club but never break 2000 level at tournament no matter how many times he has tried. 

After you break 2000, you have only talked about the first part of your story. What about after that, can you stay above that level?

What is your next level to break and how soon you will reach that level?

I agree. This is where table tennis is a very unique sport. It is certainly harder to keep the rating, but if you don't quite concentrate on the exact number, you'll find that while you may loose points and drop below a certain point like I have ( I am 1974 now ) and perhaps stay there for a while, but your skill level will remain the same. Eventually, if you continue to play the same way when you were able to roll past the mark prior, you will reach the same level ( or higher ) again.

In my case, since I broke 2000, I haven't been up there again, but I've beaten several 2000, 2100 players and a 2250 player since then. I did not get any adjustments because I had losses within the same tournament to lower rated players.

I don't make excuses. I share my experience honestly whether I won or lost. That is the way to learn. Of course I am not proud of my losses to lower level players but they do happen. Despite this, I love the game and I do hope that US Table Tennis can finally start to mature in this fantastic sport.

I do however want to point out that Breaking 2000 is not about the last few points in order to roll over 2000 USATT. It is about a road map to get there.

The toughest thing the runner does in his competitions is make it to the finish line, whether he is the first or not, he has to run the whole stretch and that is what his training aims for.

Forever optimist, I would like to take an inspirational twist on things - if you have achieved a high milestone, even if you don't necessarily retain that level of play for a long time, you have proven to yourself that you are capable at performing at that level! Knowing that you are capable of doing it is sometimes the only assurance we need as we strive to succeed.

Regarding your ( or my ) friend, I would say that he has to find the way to integrate his club potential into tournaments. He obviously has the tools, but need to look at other parts of the game - mental, strategy, etc.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 3:15pm
Lesxha,

Congratulations on achieving this milestone!  Your story is very interesting and encouraging for those who also aspire to break the infamous 2000 barrier.  Smile

Escondido View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escondido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 4:27pm
Congratulations! It's indeed quite an achievement of yours.
ripag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 5:36pm
Congratulations ! I was able to finish your book today and must say that your table tennis talents are accompanied by equally impressive writing ability . You are able to translate even the most complicated aspects of the table tennis knowledge into clear and direct package that is easy to digest . Please keep writing.
Innerforce ZLC fl
Fastarc G1
Sofaires View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofaires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 5:56pm
congratulations!! i would like to be there someday
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 9:40pm
Well done on both accounts -- rating and book.  Here's hoping the sequel is sooner than you think!
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by ripag ripag wrote:

Congratulations ! I was able to finish your book today and must say that your table tennis talents are accompanied by equally impressive writing ability . You are able to translate even the most complicated aspects of the table tennis knowledge into clear and direct package that is easy to digest . Please keep writing.

Thank you for your feedback. The book is not too big, but I am impressed that you were able to read it all in one day. It only came out last night Big smile.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

Great title! Btw it should be "without further ado".

Sorry I missed your post. I am so Embarrassed. Damn spellchecker! Thanks for catching it!
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2012 at 8:00am
Congrats lex; setting up a goal and reaching it is indeed an accomplishment and your posts and publication on breaking 2k show well the spirit of a decided warrior! You are inpiring as usual.

I could not find out what "ado" means; the closest I found was "Automated Delivery Order" since the ebook goes that way when purchased from Amazon; or "American Dancesport Organization" to underline footwork's importance in tt.

I eventually found out that 'ado' are not initials initials here but a true English word 

ado
noun fuss, to-do, trouble, delay, bother, stir, confusion, excitement, disturbance, bustle, flurry, agitation, commotion, pother
e.g: And now, without further ado, let me introduce our benefactor.

Thank you for enriching my vocabulary and boosting my tt game at the same time Big smile

feedback the fatt ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) Rhyzm + RL 5-ply + ??? "we ping therefore we are"

pushchop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pushchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2012 at 10:43am
Lex, I read the first few pages of the book preview on Amazon.

You have very nice writing style that can entertain and teach at same time.  You may be amateur publisher, but it appears you possess the skills to tell a great story.  Great job!  And yes it does seem like the best players are 40+ yr old out of shape guys with thick glasses (hey wait a sec, are you making fun of me?!  Wink).

Can't wait for my Lenovo A1 tablet to ship so I can download Kindle reader and buy this book!
Galaxy V-15, Haifu BW2 39, CJ8000 J-sponge 36-38
(total cost less than 1 sheet of Tenergy)
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2012 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Congrats lex; setting up a goal and reaching it is indeed an accomplishment and your posts and publication on breaking 2k show well the spirit of a decided warrior! You are inpiring as usual.

I could not find out what "ado" means; the closest I found was "Automated Delivery Order" since the ebook goes that way when purchased from Amazon; or "American Dancesport Organization" to underline footwork's importance in tt.

I eventually found out that 'ado' are not initials initials here but a true English word 

ado
noun fuss, to-do, trouble, delay, bother, stir, confusion, excitement, disturbance, bustle, flurry, agitation, commotion, pother
e.g: And now, without further ado, let me introduce our benefactor.

Thank you for enriching my vocabulary and boosting my tt game at the same time Big smile

Another use of "ADO":

When you end up at the isle with a priest, rabi, or elvis in front of you and a certain special lady, but you are so drunk from the bachelor party before.

When finally you hear "Do you?"

You mumble - "Ado!"

Wink
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by pushchop pushchop wrote:

Lex, I read the first few pages of the book preview on Amazon.

You have very nice writing style that can entertain and teach at same time.  You may be amateur publisher, but it appears you possess the skills to tell a great story.  Great job!  And yes it does seem like the best players are 40+ yr old out of shape guys with thick glasses (hey wait a sec, are you making fun of me?!  Wink).

Can't wait for my Lenovo A1 tablet to ship so I can download Kindle reader and buy this book!

Thank you for the feedback and no there is nothing wrong with getting older, picking up extra pounds, and acquiring a thicker pair of binoculars.

I am looking forward to the same changes coming soon, well maybe not too soon Big smile
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2012 at 11:35am
just read the first several pages on my kindle; enjoying it!
Blit'z 42.5 max - Innerforce ZLC // BBC Carboflex - Blit'z 42.5 max
Selling: Korbel ST (Japan version), Infinity VPS V ST, Gatien Extra ST, Maze ST (X2)
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2012 at 1:02pm
Thank you, everyone!

I was skeptical how it would be taken by the table tennis community. Many of the people read the whole book in just a few days and had some nice things to say. I am very grateful! Thank you!

It was also a nice surprise to hear good words on the book from Sean O'Neill and Donn Olsen on the about.com table tennis forum.

Edited by Leshxa - 01/30/2012 at 12:26am
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2012 at 10:49am
I just purchased it for the Kindle player in my iPad2. Thanks for publishing this tale of your journey! I'm looking forward to reading it, and from my perusal of the TOC and the first few pages I suspect I'll identify quite readily with it as I'm right now where you started out.
BBC CarboFlex DURO 8.0, Xiom Omega IV Elite, Sanwei CODE OX
ripag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2012 at 7:01pm

Thank you, everyone!

I was skeptical how it would be taken by the table tennis community. Many of the people read the whole book in just a few days and had some nice things to say. I am very grateful! Thank you!

It was also a nice surprise to hear good words on the book from Sean O'Neill and Donn Olson on the about.com table tennis forum.
I could not put this book down once I started . I ended up finishing it in one long session which hasn't happen to me in a long time.
Innerforce ZLC fl
Fastarc G1
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:22am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I just purchased it for the Kindle player in my iPad2. Thanks for publishing this tale of your journey! I'm looking forward to reading it, and from my perusal of the TOC and the first few pages I suspect I'll identify quite readily with it as I'm right now where you started out.

Originally posted by ripag ripag wrote:

I could not put this book down once I started . I ended up finishing it in one long session which hasn't happen to me in a long time.

I am sorry that I have not replied in a while. I have been busy trying to get the paper copy of the book ready.

Thank you again for your feedback! I am looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts about the book. Please feel free to contact me here or on my website.

Thank you.

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:36am
I was searching for something in my email and found a link to the thread where I was posting the actual "Breaking" of my goal.

It was exciting for me to go back to that moment in time. Check it out!

http://www.mytt.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39562&PN=1&title=reaching-usatt-2000
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:58am
brother forum OOAK started a thread about the book: 
lex is some serious matter about focusing and reaching (with footwork)!
Bravo Lex! I do admire you.
feedback the fatt ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) Rhyzm + RL 5-ply + ??? "we ping therefore we are"

clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 11:16am
[QUOTE=Imago] It's a good example to follow by those who have broken 2300 too. And their English is not their mother tongue.
I think the techniques used and the journey taken is quite different in every type of way.  A comparison of apples and oranges.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 10:42am
Leshxa,

Could you give a summary of your experience with the publishing aspect of your book? Thanks.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 10:53am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Leshxa,

Could you give a summary of your experience with the publishing aspect of your book? Thanks.

Absolutely. I already wrote on this subject on the OOAK forum. http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&p=205264. Look for the 4th post from the top.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 1:49pm

Leshxa,

Absolutely. I already wrote on this subject on the OOAK forum. http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&p=205264. Look for the 4th post from the top.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.  You wrote:
"About the Kindle publishing process. By itself the publishing is not difficult, but putting together the information, hiring an editor to go through grammar, hire an illustrator to properly create cover, formatting the book, buying copyrights, etc, it is lengthy process."

Could you expand briefly on the underlined part? Let's assume, the materials are already put together.  Thanks.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 2:00pm

Thanks.  You wrote:
"About the Kindle publishing process. By itself the publishing is not difficult, but putting together the information, hiring an editor to go through grammar, hire an illustrator to properly create cover, formatting the book, buying copyrights, etc, it is lengthy process."

Could you expand briefly on the underlined part? Let's assume, the materials are already put together.  Thanks.

The underlying part is the easiest in the process. Kindle publisher web site has several forms where you fill out the information about your book. It is also the place where you upload the documents and set the sales price.

The site is
kdp.amazon.com

The uploading of the document will be a pain. I formatted mine quite a few times and it never came out with the formatting I wanted. I am still trying to work out the kinks.

Hope this is what you were looking for. Again, the most difficult part of creating a book is coming up with the content and being able to edit it into a presentable form.

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 2:05pm
Got it! Many thanks for your input.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 2:11pm
No problem. If you need any more info, PM me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic