Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Adidas Challenge Force & Light Blades Review!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adidas Challenge Force & Light Blades Review!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adidas Challenge Force & Light Blades Review!!!
    Posted: 01/24/2012 at 10:12am
The upcoming Challenge series of blades is now being revealed to the public with the Challenge Speed first then these 2 blades. I have reviewed the Challenge Speed before and for those who hasn't seen the review here is the link - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45681&PN=1

The CHallenge series were designed for players who wants a choice between all wood blades depending on their type of play. The Challenge speed is designed for players who wants a very fast all wood 7 ply blade that is excellent in giving powerful shots. The Challenge Force is for a player who wants a controllable 5 ply blade that still can give enough speed and power to his shots at the same time maintain a high level of control. The Challenge Light is for players who has an all around game, who uses pips, those who likes to chop from time to time and to those players who want a control -based looping style..

Challenge Force Blade

weight: 86 grams
thickness: 5mm
blade size: 157x150cm
wood plies: 5 plies; limba-limba-ayous-limba-limba
speed: off- (personally its between the speed of off- and off-)
rubbers used: adidas P7 & Syntec SF, Dawei 388A Navigator, RITC 802-40 short pips

The challenge force blade was designed for players who wanted a flexible yet controllable attacking blade. The designers had in mind a 5 ply blade with 2 outer limba plies and an ayous inner core providing excellent feel and a great amount of control when playing a looping game or a mid distance topspin vs topspin game. 

As i have stated earlier, the speed feels like its not a true OFF- blade with a light weight. There are some shots that made me feel that the blade is OFF. I was basing this while using the Dawei 388A Navigator because that chinese rubber is considered as a medium speed rubber. looping with a chinese rubber on this blade offers a high percentage of your shots going in. Its very controllable yet in some extent speedy. 

I used the Adidas P7 as a representative of fast rubbers on an off- blade. The P7 is within range of the Tenergy 25, Andro Hexer regular and Tibhar Genius rubbers for its speed and spin. Among the 2 other Challenge blades this combination offers the best balance of speed and control. The Challenge speed being a 7 ply blade offers a medium amount of dwell time. The Challenge Force being a flexible blade offers a high dwell time ensuring your loops to be properly brushed or grazed by your stroke. This is 5 ply looping blade at its best. 

In using very soft rubbers I picked Adidas Syntec SF which has the hardness of Joola Energy Xtra Soft. The 34 degreeish sponge hardness is a good test if this blade is good for very soft rubbers. The combination of the 2 produced a bouncy set up with a soft feel. Driving the ball through the sponge with this blade has a very good feel and control at the same time imparting a lot of spin on the ball. Looping with a soft euro rubber is above average with this blade provided you don't have a chinese stroke. 

I opted to test the Challenge Force with a a pip out rubber like the 802-40. As a short pips user also in my spare time the blade didn't offer any problems when paired with a fast short pip. The blade still had enough dwell time for short pips attackers. Control was very present even in countering or hitting back topspin balls.

I would recommend the Challenge Force to players who choose to have a 5 ply, flexible looping set up, to players who are looking for a balance between speed and control then this is the blade for them. Even players who would want a very fast rubber but wants to maintain total control this blade is excellent with rubbers in the speed range of newer generation tensor rubbers. It is also a good choice for developing players who are in need of a faster racket than their first set up but still using the same medium or slow speed chinese rubbers.

Challenge Light Blade

weight: 81 grams
thickness: 5mm
blade size: 157x150cm
wood plies: 5 plies; ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous
speed: off- (personally its between the speed of off- and off-)
Rubbers used: Adidas P7 & Adidas Syntec SF, Dawei 388C medium pips, Dawei 388D-1 Long Pips, Dawei 388A Navigator

The Challenge Light as its name pertains is the lightest blade among the 2 other Challenge series blades. With the weight of 81 grams this is one of the lightest blade produced by Adidas but not the slowest. The blade engineers and designers had in mind that they need to have a blade made for players with an all around style of play, those who like to block with pips and to some extent choppers. The wood plies are very soft to the hand and I have not seen an all ayous blade construction with an all+ speed.

A very fast rubber like Adidas P7 seems like an off speed rubber in this set up. I wouldn't describe this blade as very slow since it has a small amount of extra speed in it. If you would use faster and newer generation tensors in this blade you would have a fast but controlled looping machine with much emphasis on the control part. Rubbers that are very bouncy have excellent dwell time in this blade. The Challenge Light has a very high amount of dwell time.

I was very curious to try a medium pips rubber like the Dawei 388C on this blade. i previously had this mp on a donic epox offensiv blade but find it unstable and unpredictable. With the Challenge Light my blocks and returns using an mp improved drastically. The blade has lots of feel ensuring control on your delicate shots like drops shots, short pushes or even punchblocking.

I'm not a good chopper so I let my friend who is a chopper try this set up with a Dawei 388C-1 long pips and says that the set up is good enough for chopping away from the table. He had very spinny chops against loops and he has an equivalent rating of about 2200-2300 in the US. He attacks with his inverted side and he also says that the P7 attacks great with this all+ blade. I use long pips in my backhand as an LP hitter and blocker. I had to use LP and the like  in order for me to teach my students more in handling lp's,mp's, sp's and even anti-spin rubbers. As an LP hitter on my bh I would say the Challenge light presents 2 options in this set up. One is to chop effectively away from the table or attack with pips out rubbers in the backhand or with a fast rubber in the forehand but still maintaining control. 

This blade is recommended for blockers who wanted control and some speed on their shots. The Adidas Syntec SF was a good blocking rubber with this set up as well as the pips mentioned above. i would also recommend this blade for players who will be buying this first practice blade but wouldn't delve into a fast blade. The amount of dwell time for this blade would ensure a beginner to learn the good basics especially in brushing the ball during loops. LP users and the like would enjoy this blade since its not fast and would benefit their game. 

These blades will be release in the 2nd quarter of this year probably. The initial pricing on the Adidas Challenge Speed is $80 retail, the 2 other blades I'm not sure but they would be lower than the Speed I think. Please take note that this blades will have a higher quality once they are in full production process. Even at this stage Adidas still do some modifications of their blades to ensure better quality and performance once the blades come out in the market

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

JBurn244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBurn244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 10:18am
Those blades look pretty rad. I like the 'rubber positioning' thing. I guess I'm OCD but if the rubber logos and whatnot aren't centered and if the bottom edge isn't flush to the handle, it drives me up the wall.
Donic Persson Powerplay
Tenergy 80-FX
Donic Acuda P2
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 10:49am
Ha. You and me both. Although I don't mind if the rubber is scuffed around the edges from heavy battles.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 11:30am
Hi Yogi, coyuld you please provide a better side view with the thickness of the single plies of the Challenge Force? I'm just curious if it has a thick center ply or it's smth unusual like the Ranunculus which I find to be a really good OFF 5-ply... I expected a new 3-blades series, although that ALL blade instead of an OFF is a bit of suprrise for me and it doesn't look as good as the other two with that grey handle.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2012 at 8:52pm
update with reviews!

mg, sorry thats the best the cam I was using can get but I will try and check them thoroughly to give you a better description. I'm using only a friend's digital camera. I'm still in the process of buying a good one for my reviews.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2012 at 7:04pm
mg, measured the thickness of the challenge force plies today. the 2 limba layers are approximately 0.3 and 0.7 of a mm and the center ply is a 3mm ayous core.

i had a good game with the challenge force yesterday. its faster than an OC-CR, Peter Korbel and more or less the same speed as the P500

mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2012 at 4:55am
yogi, thanks a lot, so it has a thick center ply...anyway I could test it in the summer although I'm quite sure I will like the Speed more.

Edited by mg - 01/26/2012 at 5:08am
barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 3:18pm
Yogi, do you know when this blades will be on the market? Thanks
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 10:26am
the challenge series are already out in some parts of korea and japan.. other countries in europe will have it maybe june or july not sure

ituning.technology View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ituning.technology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 11:49am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

the challenge series are already out in some parts of korea and japan.. other countries in europe will have it maybe june or july not sure

Only 2 demos in USA 1 of each. . . 
Equipment:
blade: JOOLA Tusk FL
rubber: JOOLA Custom Drum 2.25/ JOOLA Rhyzm 2.25
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2012 at 10:30pm
How does the blade plays with heavy rubbers (T64-FX) and a LP at 0.8 (galaxy neptune) for chooping. Or do you recommend lighter FH rubber
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2012 at 10:42pm
they are not heady heavy. the challenge light can chop well

Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2012 at 11:05pm
Do you still have the blade?
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 6:37am
nope. i gave it to a student of mine

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 7:51am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

do you know where can i get a cpen challenge speed¿
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2012 at 9:19am
bbkon, try www.tabletennistime.com.tw or www.greenpaddle.com

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2022 at 6:43pm
Interested to know if anyone has stuck to playing with any of these.  What they think after using it for extended periods (not just a month)
If changed why?

I'm waiting on the challenge force off-.  Hoping its a keeper. 
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2022 at 1:03am
I played with the Challenge Force for ~1 year back around 2015, using MX-P in FH and Rasant Grip in BH. I loved the set-up and honestly wouldn't want to go for anything faster with an MX-P. I switched to H8 (and then H3) and short pips and needed a thicker blade. The Challenge Force was a great blade. Still have two of them laying around. 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2022 at 3:55am
These blades are discontinued so my order for the second time fell through.  Off to the abyss for this thread.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic