Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2012 London Olympics Table Tennis: Name Your Bets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

megaspin.net
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

2012 London Olympics Table Tennis: Name Your Bets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
instinctive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote instinctive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 London Olympics Table Tennis: Name Your Bets
    Posted: 01/30/2012 at 10:38am
2012 London Olympics is fast approaching, and with the current results in Hungarian and Slovenian Open, the chinese dominance is still very much obvious. However, others maybe taking their preparations well enough. Chances are, what we can do for now is to speculate who may have the chance to win.. Who knows? Tongue
strategies;maximize rebound speed-edge in reflex,vary spin to create error,changeable rhythyms,create openings,equipment & skill mastery,& of course fun
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 10:54am
I'll bet $500 that the Chinese men don't sweep all three medals again.  Any takers?
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2012 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

I'll bet $500 that the Chinese men don't sweep all three medals again.  Any takers?

Actually if anyone were willing to bet with me, I'll take a loan and bet $1m that the Chinese won't sweep all 3 medals in the singles or the team, because there can only be 2 singles players and 1 team playing from each national association.
-------
Stiga Allround Wood NCT
FH: TG3 Neo
BH: Haifu White Shark (Yellow Sponge)
PingPongPom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 6:00am
At the moment I think it's obvious Ma Long and Zhang Jike should be the two chosen to represent China at the Olympics and in my opinion they are both ridiculously high medal chances (I hesitate to say guaranteed). Interesting to speculate on who the 3rd medal might go to whichever colour it is.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 8:33pm
I think one of the chinese will fail in later stage and one goes all the way for gold. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 01/31/2012 at 8:33pm
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 12:50am
So 3 Chinese players medaled in Beijing, but in London they are only allowing 2 players? Is that a rule/format change?
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 1:01am
Originally posted by konnichwakid1 konnichwakid1 wrote:

So 3 Chinese players medaled in Beijing, but in London they are only allowing 2 players? Is that a rule/format change?
yep; ITTF thinks it's bad for the sport when 3 CNT players take all 3 medals and the whole podium so they changed the rules. I am not taking any side here as I want to avoid a flaming thread but I understand why some people say it's sad that some players in the world top 5 cannot compete in the Olympics because of sport politics.
feedback the fatt    ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•)    we ping therefore we are
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 3:29am
The chance is that there will be 2 medals on the podium for China, one gold plus a second one either silver or bronze.  The reality is that it doesn't really matter who LGL sends at the end. 
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 3:37am
wouldn't that be a failure to miss the silver medal (assuming the gold one is in for them)?I keep thinking the CNT is building a bad spell on themselves by thinking wang hao still can play in the singles; he had 2 chances in 2004 and 2008 and was the first loser (in CNT terms) in both instances...COME ON!
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 4:00am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

wouldn't that be a failure to miss the silver medal (assuming the gold one is in for them)?I keep thinking the CNT is building a bad spell on themselves by thinking wang hao still can play in the singles; he had 2 chances in 2004 and 2008 and was the first loser (in CNT terms) in both instances...COME ON!
Good points.
I don't know how the "draw' works.  It would be a disappointment if not a disaster to the Chinese if their 2 players meet in the semi and not in the final.
Wang Hao with 2 silver medals reminds me of Holland in the World Cup (football/soccer), always the runner-up.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 11:46am

Well if by the current ITTF ranking, ZJK and Wang Hao would be the top 2 seeds w/o Ma Long playing, so they won't meet until the final. That being said, I don't think anything is final yet. There's still a chance Wang Hao gets replaced. That depends on how well himself, Xu Xin and Ma Lin will be able to play in the coming months. The same can be said for ZJK but I think it's more unlikely he gets replaced.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by shaolinTT shaolinTT wrote:

Good points.
I don't know how the "draw' works.  It would be a disappointment if not a disaster to the Chinese if their 2 players meet in the semi and not in the final.
Wang Hao with 2 silver medals reminds me of Holland in the World Cup (football/soccer), always the runner-up.

numer 1 and 2 will never clash before the final, i hope LGL is reading this forum  but wang hao will make the world think they  could have a shot of WH chokes again, he has played 4 finals and lose 3  better for wang hao to be world champion again, he must be thinking that he can choke again
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Actually if anyone were willing to bet with me, I'll take a loan and bet $1m that the Chinese won't sweep all 3 medals in the singles or the team, because there can only be 2 singles players and 1 team playing from each national association.

That's why I posted it in the first place :p

Originally posted by konnichwakid1 konnichwakid1 wrote:

yep; ITTF thinks it's bad for the sport when 3 CNT players take all 3 medals and the whole podium so they changed the rules. I am not taking any side here as I want to avoid a flaming thread but I understand why some people say it's sad that some players in the world top 5 cannot compete in the Olympics because of sport politics.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole grand slam in table tennis doesn't really mean that much due to the format of tournaments.

If Zhang Jike wins the Olympics this year, he will have won the world championship, the world cup and the Olympics without ever having to play against Ma Long (the best player in the world) during any of those events.  Ma Long may not have been #1 at the time of the world championship, but he was during the world cup and did not even get an invite.

Heck, if the Olympics were held using the current ITTF ranking list, there would only be 6 of the top 10 players in the world competing - the Qatar open in a few days will have 9/10 which makes it a MUCH more difficult tournament to win.

The focus on Ma Long in particular doesn't mean anything, the point is simply that a single elimination tournament with a restriction on top players is sort of absurd.  I think it would be immensely better for the sport to eliminate doubles and make tournaments double elimination.  Mind you, I'm only suggesting this for the pro-circuit and not for all levels of the sport.

As for the Olympics, the argument which is arising against the allowance of multiple top Chinese is that the spirit of the event is countries competing with one another.  I agree that this is what the Olympics is generally for, but then shouldn't only one player be allowed for each country?  Or perhaps the Olympics shouldn't have singles and there should only be a team event - doesn't that sound more like countries competing against one another?
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 4:01pm
I think that the Olympics should at least follow (with adjustment) the same standard as WTTC:

let's say if a country has two players in top 20 or top 30 of WR then they get a third player (at least!)

I understand that this will allow China to have three players and take all three medals (possibly) but that's what you get when you are very good at something.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I think that the Olympics should at least follow (with adjustment) the same standard as WTTC:

let's say if a country has two players in top 20 or top 30 of WR then they get a third player (at least!)

I understand that this will allow China to have three players and take all three medals (possibly) but that's what you get when you are very good at something.
+1!
instinctive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote instinctive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 2:11am
strategies;maximize rebound speed-edge in reflex,vary spin to create error,changeable rhythyms,create openings,equipment & skill mastery,& of course fun
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 3:23pm

China won't win a gold medal in TT this year at the Olympics...I predict one of the North American players will pull off a huge upset and win the gold!

Donic Aratox RS
Bluefire M3 Max
Andro Blowfish+ 1.8
Rating 2183
Pondus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 3:33pm
I'll take one of whatever AcudaDave is drinking/smoking...
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 5:27pm

If Ma Long does not play the singles event I predict no cnt player in London's Olympic final.

I wrote that in that post a while ago:

It's more like a friendly bet than a serious position however I can't help thinking that Wang Hao having lost twice (once vs. a non Chinese) does not make him deserve a third chance, especially in China where I imagine, right or wrong, failure is less than often forgiven.

What is the logic when saying ML has  a mental problem for losing 2nd zone players after a long streak a victories while WH does not have any when failing at the highest level 3 times (OG, OG, WC) where ML has never been given a chance (or just lost a cnt friend)???

Liu Guoliang has thrown a bad spell on his team. 

In London I predict Timo Boll (I'll end up winning with enough attempts like in 2008, 2009, 2011...) will beat Dimitrij OVTCHAROV in the final, if they do not meet before the ultimate stage; gold for the winner of their match if they fight before the final.

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 6:28pm

In London I predict Timo Boll (I'll end up winning with enough attempts like in 2008, 2009, 2011...) will beat Dimitrij OVTCHAROV in the final, if they do not meet before the ultimate stage; gold for the winner of their match if they fight before the final.

If you know probability, you'll realize that previous failed guesses don't improve the odds on the next one LOL
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 6:36pm
what about the law of large numbers: if you try enough...Tongue
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 6:57pm

what about the law of large numbers: if you try enough...Tongue

Doing the same thing and expect difference results is unrealistic...

Flipping 100,000 burgers at McDonalds in ten years will not make you an Iron Chef.  LOL
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 7:03pm
but Timo is adjusting and does different things, evolving; so is dmitri who we saw bh looping like crazy lately. they stand a chance, the same a certain Werner stood a few years ago.
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 2:19pm
Just hope Vladimir Samsonov finds his medal this time  :) , he really deserves it.
Nittaku Tenor | BF JP01 | Flyatt hard
Nittaku Tenor | BF JP01| T64
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 3:52pm
I think that this year the gold medal is for a european: Dima, Sansonov or Boll
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

I think that this year the gold medal is for a european: Dima, Sansonov or Boll
+1
Nittaku Tenor | BF JP01 | Flyatt hard
Nittaku Tenor | BF JP01| T64
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 4:10pm
I bet on Timo even though I'll root first for Adrien; if I am right somebody is going to lose his job for not letting Ma Long play singles; especially if he does well in the team event.
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 5:00pm

Nice! a sure win bet!:P

Collins Latag

Blade:MC1 FH:S1T BH:T80
collins.latag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collins.latag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

I'll take one of whatever AcudaDave is drinking/smoking...

lol... +2
Collins Latag

Blade:MC1 FH:S1T BH:T80
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2012 at 10:23pm
only boll has a chance, he has proved he was the only on to play remotely similar or possibly get games off the Jike.  Nobody else has done anything to prepare against the Chinese to the depth that he has.
My tenergy 05 blog & Table Tennis Video channel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic