FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Newstar 2080 robot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newstar 2080 robot
    Posted: 02/22/2012 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

(Disclaimer, I own the Y&T S-27.)

I didn't see any update about the newstar 2080. So I'm adding this post since the robot looks very interesting. 

Seems apart from the ease of programming of the 989H with the touchscreen, the newstar seems way more flexible.

It comes in two boxes, seems much more portable than the single huge box S-27 I have.

Sandiway

Im starting this in a diff thread other than the 989H. 

Sorry I have not had much time to deal with any sort of review or further info on the Newstar robot lately. I had actually made a little mini review last month to post here but then lost all the data, so that is why I did not post about it yet.  Here is some info for you.  

It is definitely not what I would call a "portable" or quick to use robot.  Setting up and taking down time is not fast, but not that bad.  I would also not want to take the catch net apart for transporting the robot around.  Not to say it cant be done, I just would not do it myself because that is not really setup good in its design or build. 

But with that said, this robot can move around and have the net attached at the same time where ever you move it to.  The catch net can be gathered up and held with clips when you change where you move the robot to from the table.  This robot is the most capable of any out there by far.  It has the ability to make speed and spin far beyond what you would need.  No more worries about making a spinny enough short backspin shot.   I tested this by setting the backspin speed to the highest and speed of shot with landing to be short and weak.   The ball hit short of mid table and with a vertical blade position.....the ball hit the rubber and violently snapped straight down on the table and bounced up off my ceiling pretty darn hard.  Same can be said with topspin or any ball speed.  The motors are wicked fast.....more so than needed. 

One thing I will make clear right off, it is not a quick and easy setup to start and run.  Although there are many preset functions of sequences and preset ball types (shots and serves), there is plenty of programming you can and will need to setup to make it do exactly what you want it to do.  But once you setup everything, its not that slow to start hitting balls and changing from one thing to another.  It just has a large learning curve to figure out the basics of programming.  This is because the small hand held remote has no read out.  There is no normal control pad per say.  The remote singles to a small 3 digit/alpha character at a time read out on top of the catch net.  So you can only change one setting at at time.....but there are countless and many detailed settings you can edit and setup. 

I have actually had this robot for almost a year now and it works incredibly well.  I do miss the quick and easy setup of other robots, but none of them even compares to the abilities of the Newstar.  This robot also only runs off a 220 to 240 volt source, so you will need a voltage adapter to use it for other volt sources below 220v.  As you can see in the pictures I have my transformer and the robot sitting on a thin board over the carpeted floor.  The bottom of the robot base has a screened pass through hole in the bottom where the dust can fall through from the ball pickup area.  I didnt want any carpet ends to get stick in that or cause problems so i put the robot on the board and also it keeps the voltage converter off the carpet to negate any static electrical problems.  It needs a voltage converter that is minimum 250 watts, mine is 500w.

I will answer questions and comments when I have the time and try to help you guys with any info I can.  Here are some pics. 

Edited by Rich215 - 02/22/2012 at 2:58pm
Sponsored Links

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 5:33pm
Thanks for the additional pictures.

In the videos I linked to, it's clear it takes some setting up, particularly in video 2. 

The Y&T S-27 is very repeatable. If it's already set up, just wheel it to the table again, plug it in (it remembers the last settings in nonvolatile memory) and it reliably delivers balls to the previously set locations. That's because it's fixed. I wouldn't underestimate convenience of setup. If something takes work each time, one tends to shy away from using the robot as much.

However, it seems like the Newstar 2080 is the perfect serve robot, i.e. it can serve short and spinny. It can be placed at a realistic position, near the corners, and height adjusted. Can it serve no spin balls too?

Ideally, I guess one would own two robots then. And have one table dedicated to the Newstar for serve receive. And another table for general play and something like the S-27 or that new touch screen Y&T.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2012 at 9:28pm
Where can someone in the USA buy this NewStar robot?
BBC, SP, LP
philipus777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipus777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 4:11am
New to this forum, i would like to address this quick inquiry to Rich or any other members;

Where can I buy a Newstar 2080? I live in Northern California.
Is the remote on Chinese characters only?

Thanks.
Life is hard, Table Tennis is harder.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 12:47pm
Far East Sports might be the only place to get one if you are outside of China.  You can email them and they will also send you a pdf copy of the manual if you like.  

philipus777....the manual has English and Chinese and the remote has English characters on it to show the various functions they change.  Figuring out what buttons do what is really not an issue at all.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 4:54pm
Can it serve/shoot no-spin balls?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Can it serve/shoot no-spin balls?

The NewStar robot is the most adjustable robot in every way I have ever used or tested... by far!    So to answer your question.....yes with ease!  

The increments of adjustment for spin and speed are very infinite.  That is the one thing that really helps to create difference of speed to spin ratios.  This robot has a large range of adjustment as far as that goes compared to any that I have tested. You can create spin and speed that is beyond normal human play.

Also, just remember that when you are talking "no spin", it can be slightly different with a robot compared to a shot from a human hitting it at you.   A human touches or hits the ball with the contact point being about mid ball and the hit may have an amount of compression on the ball as it is hit towards you.  A robot is grabbing and releasing the ball by 2 rubber/foam wheels at top and bottom opposing points of the ball....the spinning/releasing at you.  There a slight bit of difference that some can feel because of this.  This is one of the factors that makes hitting with a robot different than a human.  And because not all robots are equal in their abilities of setting adjustments and types of throwing wheels, this factor can differ from robot to robot.

When you have a robot shot a no spin ball, the ball will come out of the robot head with no spin but may then gather some topspin after it bounces on the table, and more top spin if it bounces as a serve on both sides of the table.  So you may need to add some slight back spin to the ball before it hits on the first bounce.....then more if it is a serve shot with 2 bounces.   This all depends on the forward speed of the shot and also possibly condition of ball and table surface.  

Sorry to be so long winded here.....I know this may help some answer some questions they may have or didn't have a feeling for. 

PjornPorg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PjornPorg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2012 at 8:20pm
Hi Rich,

do you think we should in general stock up on the old or soon to be obsolete celluloid balls for general practice with robots?

Assume this question is only for the non-tournament player who is content to live in his shack on the Antarctic with his Newstar 2080!

thanks in advance!
I want to hit a ball 360,000 times a day every day for the rest of my life, you got a problem with that?
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2012 at 12:16pm
PjornPorg......

Since the move to the new slightly larger plastic ball has been moved to sometime beyond mid 2014.....I would not worry too much about getting more celluloidballs.   I am thinking about stocking up on some more Double Fish 3 stars myself.   I like using these in robots.  

And if you are not going to be competing or worrying about playing with the plastic ball in the near 2 year future......dont worry about the new ball yet. 

The Newstar robots have a shim used in the bottom of the pick up area that allows for changing going from using the current ball to a 44mm ball.  If the new plastic ball is implemented...I would think Newstar would easily make a shim designed for the new plastic ball which is slightly larger than the current balls. 

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2012 at 8:56am
Does this robot have any form of "random" function where you could set multiple landing zones and have the robot change them at will?
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2012 at 11:19am
Yes it can do random with shots from a sequence you select or program.    Sent manual now.  
prostu1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostu1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2012 at 11:08am
Does this robot have any pre-programmed sequences like the 30 sequences of the Y&T 989H?  Now that you have had the robot a few days any new thoughts.  Do you recommend above the 989H or other robots?
prostu1
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by prostu1 prostu1 wrote:

Does this robot have any pre-programmed sequences like the 30 sequences of the Y&T 989H?  Now that you have had the robot a few days any new thoughts.  Do you recommend above the 989H or other robots?

prostu1.......yes the Newstar robot has several pre-programmed sequences.  It has 32 different mixed balls/shots/serves for many different positions of the robot from the table.  Those 5 different set positions have 8 different sets of combos/sequences pre-programmed in.  You can edit any of the combos or ball types you want. 

The head on the robot can be raised or lowered as well.  So the robot remembers exact head height above the floor and also exact location off the table end.  So you can pretty much set the robot anywhere you want and make sequences or shots all over and not just at one fixed position directly off the center end of the table.

The Y&T 989H and the Newstar robot are great robots.  It depends on what you need/want and will be happy with after using it for the first month.  The Newstar is fairly complicated and is not quick to setup physically, but can do pretty much anything you want.  It also has amazing backspin ability compared to any other robot.   The Y&T 989H is like any other previous Y&T.....very fast to setup off the table and fast to use and program the controls. 

Like I have mentioned before....still..........there is no one perfect robot....or one that comes close to being so.   You always have to give up one thing for another when choosing a robot with all that is out there.  When I find a robot that comes close to satisfying all the basic uses and sets up quick...and works very well......I will let everyone know.   But for now......these 2 robots are the best options for the price range of $1600 to $1800.   I wish the Double Snakes robots were cheaper....the FQJ-5 is still a mystery to me because of its high cost and Double Snakes has no English manuals.  I had a hard time fully understanding the FQJ-4 because of this as well.  But the Double Snakes robots are built very well and make great shots/serves/spins. 

I would love to have a FQJ-5, Y&T 989H, and my Newstar all together.   

gena1206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gena1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 2:18pm
I want to order
Newstar2080. Prompt what spare parts, except spare wheels it is necessary to order in shop. I live in Russia. I will order in China.
gena1206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gena1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 2:43pm
Whether you know casually: whether on the FQJ-5 robot it is possible to program a ball with the rotation necessary to me in the necessary point and with the necessary vertical corner (having respectively picked up speed of a ball and rotation of rollers)? And then to make sequence of such programmed balls.? (Newstar2080) is similar
gena1206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gena1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 7:54am
Question for Rich215 : New Star2080 has 8 libraries in which it is possible to program on 32 balls,(Originally they are programmed at plant) or  every library of NewStar 2080 allows 8 combinations
and each of them can call up as many as 6 balls from the library.  Whether correctly I understood: Still besides I can make and remember 32 more own combinations no more than 6 spheres in bS1-bS32.
Also 2 previous questions too to you :
1.Whether you know casually: whether on the FQJ-5 robot it is possible to program a ball with the rotation necessary to me in the necessary point and with the necessary vertical corner (having respectively picked up speed of a ball and rotation of rollers)? And then to make sequence of such programmed balls.? (Newstar2080) is similar
2. I want to order
Newstar2080. Prompt what spare parts, except spare wheels it is necessary to order in shop. I live in Russia. I will order in China
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by gena1206 gena1206 wrote:

Question for Rich215 : New Star2080 has 8 libraries in which it is possible to program on 32 balls,(Originally they are programmed at plant) or  every library of NewStar 2080 allows 8 combinations
and each of them can call up as many as 6 balls from the library.  Whether correctly I understood: Still besides I can make and remember 32 more own combinations no more than 6 spheres in bS1-bS32.
Each separate 8 libraries have 32 balls that are saved for each different library.  So there are 8 different sets of 32 balls saved in memory.  There maybe 2 libraries that are blank or not programed so that you can set the program of combos and balls yourself (library 7 and 8).  You an also edit and re-program any of the factory saved libraries of combos and balls.

Also 2 previous questions too to you :
1.Whether you know casually: whether on the FQJ-5 robot it is possible to program a ball with the rotation necessary to me in the necessary point and with the necessary vertical corner (having respectively picked up speed of a ball and rotation of rollers)? And then to make sequence of such programmed balls.? (Newstar2080) is similar
You can not program or change the memory on any Double Snakes robots at all.  I do not have much information about the FQJ-5 robot, as I have never used one to make a review. You can only select the many different functions that are preset into memory.  Also, all of the Double Snakes manuals and control pad indicators are in Chinese language only.  The manufacture does not make any other language of information available at all, they do not market these robots for sale outside of China. 

2. I want to order
Newstar2080. Prompt what spare parts, except spare wheels it is necessary to order in shop. I live in Russia. I will order in China
The throwing wheels should last a very long time as they are made to not wear down.  But you can probably order extra 2 throwing wheels with the robot I would think.  There is only 1 seller to get this robot if you are outside China. 

Hope that helps.  
gena1206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gena1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 4:14pm
"It takes some time and efforts to achieve
this and if this training model is worthwhile to be
used from time to time, it would be a good idea to
save all the optimized settings before you start
playing other single balls, combos or other libraries.
NewStar 2080 has a very handy tool for this
and that is bS. You can use bS to save 32 training
models(bS1—bS32)."  
It is so written to instructions to New Star 2080.
I understood it except (in addition to)  memories of 8 libraries?

gena1206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gena1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2012 at 4:19pm
For Rich215:And still question: during operation of New Star2080 of breakages didn't arise? Whether on yours взляд rather reliable engines in it, levers , gear wheels setting the head in motion?
gena1206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gena1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 6:08am
yours взляд---yours view
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by gena1206 gena1206 wrote:

"It takes some time and efforts to achieve
this and if this training model is worthwhile to be
used from time to time, it would be a good idea to
save all the optimized settings before you start
playing other single balls, combos or other libraries.
NewStar 2080 has a very handy tool for this
and that is bS. You can use bS to save 32 training
models(bS1—bS32)."  
It is so written to instructions to New Star 2080.
I understood it except (in addition to)  memories of 8 libraries?

gena.....memories of 8 libraries = 8 different combo's (sequences) for each 8 different libraries (position of robot head height and position of robot on floor from the table.  The bS memory saves (1 to 32) refer to saving any combo's or which single ball to use, with different changes of the other settings like, balls per min, time between sets of balls/combos thrown, amount of balls thrown at a time...and so on. 

So the bS saves can give you a stored memory of different types of training drills on single balls or custom combo's that you can save and then not have to go through the process of setting up each different one separately while using the robot. 

I have had my Newstar for over a year now and nothing has broken or worn out.  I have not had a need for any spare parts. 

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2012 at 3:06pm
I sure hope that newStar is working on an actual control panel for this robot. In its current form the 2080 has all the hallmarks of a pre-released product with a workbench (i.e. engineer's) UI.

If such an upgrade is not in the cards then this would be an interesting opportunity for an app programmer to create an iPad/iPhone/Android-based control panel that outputs the requisite IR signals to the 2080. It would take a bit of reverse engineering to understand the current remote control's command set, and there's also the pesky task of getting those mobile devices to output IR..
BBC, SP, LP
avova View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2012 at 4:48pm
how loud is this robot compare to 989H?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2012 at 6:06pm
The throwing wheels are relatively quite however all head movemets are noticably louder as it moves quickly. Everytime a ball is thrown the motor in the base starts and stops too. In general it is probably a little louder than someone at the other end hitting balls for you unless they are smashing or stomping their feet.
dadebaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadebaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2012 at 11:33pm
Thanks for all the great reviews Rich215-very useful information. Cost not being an issue which robot would you choose between the newstar 2080, fqj-4 or 5? (By the way, do you think the feature upgrades of the fqj-5 are worth the added expense?) I think I've narrowed it down to those 3 after much consideration and your insight would be much appreciated. Are you aware of any new releases or updated versions of those 3 robots in the near future? Thanks, again.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2012 at 1:19am
Originally posted by dadebaca dadebaca wrote:

Thanks for all the great reviews Rich215-very useful information. Cost not being an issue which robot would you choose between the newstar 2080, fqj-4 or 5? (By the way, do you think the feature upgrades of the fqj-5 are worth the added expense?) I think I've narrowed it down to those 3 after much consideration and your insight would be much appreciated. Are you aware of any new releases or updated versions of those 3 robots in the near future? Thanks, again.

I think Rich's Sig says it all.... If annoying programming is not going to bother you it is seriously hard to beat the Newstar 2080 for its program-ability, ball control and placement with the net attached to the table. While there are others on the market that are similar they simply don't come close to what the Newstar can do.
dadebaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadebaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2012 at 12:28am
Thanks for your input Golden Dragoon. Do you think the the newstar 2080c is worth the added expense vs. the 2080b? I'm not sure I really understand the difference between the two in terms of a better playing experience. Also, if I understand correctly, the fqj-5 cannot create short spinny serves as the newstar?
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2012 at 1:47am
The 2080b electronics needs to cool down after abt 200 balls.
spatta View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2014 at 11:53am
Are there any new robots or updates to any of the robots. 

It has been almost 2 years and I am curious to see if there are new electronic/software interfaces like to an android or iOS device.  I did not see any other topics on this, so wanted to ask.

Thanks
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2014 at 6:56pm
Have someone tried tt robots with the new poly balls? I've try them in a robopong 2040 and they don't work well at all...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic