Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tuttle Beijing IV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tuttle Beijing IV
    Posted: 02/29/2012 at 10:31pm
If you look on the ITTF website, the top sheet has the same logo/stamp/id number as the other versions of Tuttle Beijing - and therefore is the same exact top sheet.  The IV version of this product is simply a different sponge.  Here is a post regarding the other versions:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27305&title=new-product-tuttle-beijing-3-with-purple-sponge

Initial impressions:

- The rubber is vacuum sealed, and opening up the rubber made my apartment smell like a rubber cement factory blew up inside of it.
- Although the topsheet does not feel tacky, it can pick up a ball and hold it for a few seconds quite easily.
- This rubber is extremely soft.  The softest prior to this that I have hit with is the Xiom Vega Elite - and this thing is like a pillow by comparison.
- The rubber sheet is also small - it barely fits onto my Matsush*ta Pro Special

My Review:

As I previously posted, this rubber is ungodly soft.  There's both advantages and disadvantages to this and it has me questioning whether or not I want to keep using this rubber.  I play a modern defense style, trying to mimic Sun Jian Fei as closely as possible.

The Good:

Chopping:  Strangely enough, this rubber truly excels at chopping.  In both short pushes and long chops, I was able to keep the ball on the table with extremely forceful swings.  I plan on trying this rubber out on a slow paddle, such as my innershield, and attempting a classical defense due to the immense control of this rubber.

Blocking:  This is a tacky rubber similar to a typical Chinese top sheet, and blocking topspin drives is easy as a result.

Counter-Loops:  If Tenergy 05 at 1.9 thickness is an 8.5/10, then I would put this rubber at a 7/10 in speed.  The control helps counter loops stay on the table, but it still has that boosted feeling I enjoy in tenergy.

Pushes and Serves:  I have no trouble giving spinny or dead serves/pushes with this rubber and keeping them short.  In the short game, it feels a lot like Hurricane 3 Neo - but with a significantly more 'pillow-ish' feeling.

The Bad:

Looping Chop:  There's something about this sponge that makes looping a chop feel awful.  I feel like the sponge is just way too soft for this purpose.  More on this in my conclusion.

The Ugly:

This rubber is LOUD.  If there's one thing I did not like about hitting hard flat shots is how loud this rubber becomes.  It literally sounds as if I'm breaking the ball if I hit at 40% strength or more.  I had someone lob a few shots which I drilled as hard as I could, and it had a few people stop playing and inform me that I was hitting with a broken ball - even though it was not actually broken.

Conclusion:

This would be an excellent rubber for an intermediate player.  I know many players who simply will never attack a chop and will always push it back.  I call these players 'mirrors' - if you top spin, they topspin; if you chop, they chop.  This seems to be the perfect rubber for that type of game.  A classical defender might enjoy this rubber as well due to the excellent control in the chopping game, but I cannot see an all out attacker wanting to use this rubber due to the overwhelming softness in the sponge.

If you have any questions, please pm me or post them here and I'll do what I can to answer them.  There are other testers as well - and I'm willing to bet many of them are attackers who may have a different impression, so please only take this review as one person's opinion among many.

Edited by roar - 03/02/2012 at 5:08pm
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
Sponsored Links

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 12:43am
What thickness did you get?  I told Razortt that I would compare Tuttle Bejing to T05 but it may be a closer match to IQUL SV.   I have two sheets of IQUL SV ( max and 1.8mm ) that I can use to compare with.  The prices are similar too.  Comparing Tuttle Bejing with T05 is probably unrealistic.

I won't be able to get to my sheet till this week end. 
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 12:51am
They are all 2.15mm. And its "Tuttle Beijing 4"
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 1:11am
Just got mine too, gonna try it out on Friday.  The thickness is slightly less than max, the sponge is about 2.1mm thick, it comes with a thick glue layer.  It's indeed very soft; the listed hardness is 36 degrees.  The size of the uncut rubber is about 165x165mm.  The uncut weight is 59.6 grams, so a weight density of 0.2189 grams/cm^2, which is fairly light.  There's a smell to it, but I didn't think it was THAT strong.  It smells like a regular new rubber.  The thick glue layer does indicate that it might have been pre-tuned.  I've taken some pictures, I'll post them when I get to my review which will take some time because first impressions are usually pretty inaccurate.  For now, here's a pic comparing pip structures:

(didn't embed the picture because it's too big)

Top to bottom: Moon max, Beijing4, H3NP, T64, H3N.  The lighting is kinda bad but I think you can see that the pip structure seems fairly similar to that the H3Neo's.  The topsheet, however, is noticeably thinner, though not terribly thin like say the Shark II's.  The T64 has much longer pips and a thinner topsheet.  The topsheet is completely nontacky, I can't pick up the ball at all even right out of the package.

I'll stick it onto my backup blade(Sanwei F3) first, with the Beijing 4 and the H3P 39(not neo), and later on the T64, comparing the Beijing 4 to those rubbers.  Later on, I'll put it on my primary blade comparing with the T64, which I think would be more similar in feel given how soft this rubber is.  Lastly, I'll try it on my T11, which I actually think will likely suit this rubber the best since the T11 loves softer rubbers.

Edited by dingyibvs - 03/01/2012 at 1:14am
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
domino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 5:15am
how cost is it?
Blade : 729 Bomb
FH    : 729 Cream Transcend
BH    : DHS Neo Hurricane 3
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 9:32am
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 9:36am
How can it be called a national version but obviously no one in national team is using it
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 9:44am

Isn't it National because of having four edges? Wink

atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 9:50am
Nope, because of the shabby plastic bag
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 1:05pm
There are a lot of players on the national team.  Many are just practice partners.  Sometimes it refers to the junior national team.  Basically, if could get anybody on the national team to even TAKE a rubber from you, it could be called national team.  Maybe they deliver it like a summons :)
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

How can it be called a national version but obviously no one in national team is using it

No they just call the rubber "National Team", like "Sriver", "Tenergy" etc. Kinda misleading, isn't it? LOL
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 12:36am
DAY#1: I received a sheet of Tuttle Beijing 4/2.15/36º in Black today. Although I have not yet affixed it to my blade, my initial impression is this:  Excellent packaging . . . solid cardboard folded cover with simple and clear logo and information. Inside the rubber is shrink wrapped and comes with two protective sheets that are much like the Butterfly sheets . . . very nice! There is a glue smell, but I didn't notice until I got really close. The rubber is soft and grippy, but not sticky like most Chinese rubbers. There is no way i could pick up a ball with this top sheet. The sponge is soft and flexible. I will hit with it on Saturday, and I am very hopeful! 

DAY#2:  Lightweight. I didn't notice at first, but picking it up today it seems light. I don't know if it's smaller or not, but regardless of the size it must be lighter than most inverted rubbers. 

DAY#3:  I glued the rubber onto a standard 5-ply shakehand racket. It was easy to assemble using YES Paste. One negative . . . the sheet is on the smaller side . . . just barely covering the blade, especially on the sides.

DAY#4: 

Edited by tommyzai - 03/03/2012 at 6:30pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 1:55am
The hardness feels true to the rating, as it's about the same as the T64, maybe a tad softer.  It's also pretty bouncy for a Chinese rubber, just a tad less than the T64.  I'll try it out in club play tomorrow.
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 9:00am
I have also received the rubber: Black/max.  Will begin testing this weekend. 
Just giving you guys short initial impressions: good packaging, supple topsheet, very soft sponge, barely tacky (similar to bejing3 purple sponge).  Have more euro feel than chinese.  More to come...

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 03/02/2012 at 9:50am
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 9:30am
Not even close to hardness of T64, WAY SOFTER.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 10:27am
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

I agree. It's way softer. I'm not sure what dingyibvs is thinking haha.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

the hardness is the same as tenergy 64 more or less.
you are crazy man.....
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:03am
Any comments on the weight of the sheet?  I've got a Beijing II here and it's really heavy. Good otherwise though, especially for the £4.99 price!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:13am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Any comments on the weight of the sheet?  I've got a Beijing II here and it's really heavy. Good otherwise though, especially for the £4.99 price!

This Beijing 4 is a totally different beast, it has the offensive power but with amazingly soft sponge, and very light weight, which is quite a pleasant surprise!
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by razortt razortt wrote:

This Beijing 4 is a totally different beast, it has the offensive power but with amazingly soft sponge, and very light weight, which is quite a pleasant surprise!

Sounds interesting.  I wonder how it compares to Shark 2 RS Soft?  If it's like Beijing II but with a softer/lighter/bouncier sponge then it could be really nice...
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:26am
Hey, I started this thread. Why am I bumped down several posts? :-0
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:41am

Originally posted by razortt razortt wrote:

Sounds interesting.  I wonder how it compares to Shark 2 RS Soft?  If it's like Beijing II but with a softer/lighter/bouncier sponge then it could be really nice...

This sponge is light and fast, not the same as the previous generation of Beijng123. Uncut weight is about 56grams and this thing is LOUD when play!
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

you are crazy man.....

You have the rubber? You must have just bought it because you aren't on the tester list.

I hope you aren't confusing this rubber with one of the older Beijing rubbers.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:54am
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

you are crazy man.....

Hi, this thing is softer than Tenergy64, if you use beijing 1,2,3 before, this is a totally different beast, and this comes with white sponge.
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 11:58am

Yea...dunno what I was thinking, feeling it again today it's def softer LOL  I wouldn't say way softer though, maybe a degree or so.
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 5:09pm
Updated with my review, sorry it took a day longer.
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2012 at 12:21am
I tried it out tonight on my Sanwei F3, with a 1.9mm T64 on the other side.  The rubber felt surprisingly good, I didn't have to many many adjustments.  In general, I agree with roar's assessment.  This rubber offers excellent control in all areas of the game, offense and defense, short and long.  The speed is indeed a bit slower than a 1.9mm Tenergy, and my clubmates thought so as well.  The throw is a tad bit lower, but not so low like say the Thors that I have to take a long time to adjust.  I didn't have any trouble looping backspins, long or short, I thought it was a bit easier to use than my H3Neo overall, though not quite as powerful in power looping.

I tried it on the BH as well, and it works super well, probably better for me than the Tenergy due to the softer sponge and better control.  As a mid-1800s attacker who primarily uses the FH, the Tenergies are understandably a bit too fast for my BH.

For the next step, I'm gonna go in a different direction than roar.  He plans to put it onto a slower blade and further test its defensive capabilities, I plan to put it onto an OFF++ blade(Galaxy T-11) to further test its offensive capabilities.  I already have a feeling that this rubber will really shine on a blade like the T-11, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Bottom line for the first impression:  High quality rubber, very easy to use, good at just about everything, though not special in anything.  IMO it's an excellent all around rubber.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2012 at 2:55am
So far the first thing I noticed from the rubber through the bounce-spin test that i usually do is that it is insensitive to spin

blade: timo boll alc
fh: h3 neo    (will be opening a new whale 2 red sponge)
bh: tuttle beijing

I am a total Newb. Come at me!
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2012 at 9:18am
I wonder if this rubber is suitable for lower level players like myself?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I wonder if this rubber is suitable for lower level players like myself?

Im wondering the same thing icontek......guess we need to wait and hear more comments as people get to use it for about a month.  The weight per uncut sheet is one reason I would almost pull the trigger....then the price also makes it an EJ's target for sure.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic