Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuttle Beijing IV: Yet Another Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuttle Beijing IV: Yet Another Review
    Posted: 03/04/2012 at 1:55pm
The link is to a video I made.   
The rubber is well wrapped and comes with two surface protectors
What hasn't been mentioned before in the other reviews is that the sponge has a slick covering on the side that is glued.  This confused me for a second. I tried peeling the slick sheet on the back side of the sponge and it didn't want to come off so I just glued to the shiny rubber.

The first part of the robot shows me looping FH from behind.  I tried to place the camera where the arc can be seen.    I could get nice high arcs with speed if I wanted but it took a little effort to do it.

Later when playing against an opponent, my opponent said the balls did jump out after the bounce but not like T05 does.  

When I am playing against the robot there is a time about 75% through where I am flat hitting.  You can hear the difference in the impact sound and see the trajectory change from a nice arc to just skimming over the net.  Beijing IV seemed to be more than fast enough when flat hitting.

When you see me again in the last part of the video I was hitting with a few back hands.

The facts:
Beijing IV is very soft.   Beijing IV feels softer and much less tacky than than the H3 #19.  I replaced the H3 #19  with the Beijing IV.   I think they played very close to the same and cost about the same.   Which one is best for you is a matter of preference for tacky on non-tacky and how soft you like your sponges.  The H3 #19 sponge is supposed to be about 36 degrees and the Beijing IV wrapper said it was also 36 degrees but Beijing IV feels softer.

Even though Beijing IV isn't very tacky it is tacky enough to collect dust marks where the ball hits it.  

The uncut rubber was 165mm x 164mm and weighed 57.16 gm ( my scale is calibrated to 0.01 gm every year )

Subjective Opinion
Beijing IV plays a lot like H3 #19 but without the tackiness.
What I think is special about Beijing IV is that the top sheet is thin and will cup the ball at very low impact speeds so that one can do over the table loops with just the wrist and fore arm snap.  It was relatively easy to return slow short underpin serves with top spin and place the ball in an aggressive way.  Usually that means hitting the ball over the net at an angle or deep in a corner.

Serving was easy and the under spin balls were often hit into the net by my opponent.

I didn't show any chopping in the video but later after making the video when I was playing against my opponent I tried about 6 chops in the hour we played.   I landed 5 out of the 6 and the 5 that landed didn't come back.  They were low, deep,  spinny and relatively fast.   I am not a real chopper like bogey hunter.   I wasn't that far back and I chopped the balls when they were relatively high.   I was back farther than a chop block.   

To Do:
Get some video of me playing.
Move Beijing IV to my Samsonov Alpha which is much better for looping than my Firewall Plus
Break out my IQUL SV Max for comparison.
Mount these rubbers on my cutting board and let the robot shoot balls at it and video tape the results and note the differences between H3 #19,  IQUL SV Max and Beijing IV.

Now you can view the video.  I will put it on youtube later.

Sponsored Links

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2012 at 2:10pm
Factory glue looks like a shiny film. You must glue only the blade and attach the rubber.
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Factory glue looks like a shiny film. You must glue only the blade and attach the rubber.
How am I supposed to know that?  I can't read Chinese!
Thanks, that is good to know for the future.
In this case I glued both sides like I always do.  
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2012 at 2:34pm
There is a space between the http:// and d. The link doesn't work unless you clear that space.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2012 at 7:44pm
Yea, it's a glue layer, and being able to read Chinese won't help you.  I don't remember it being mentioned anywhere on the website or on the packaging.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2012 at 10:58pm
Day 2,  I played two more players today with my Firewall Plus+Beijing IV+GD Talon 0X.   I hadn't played with my Firewall Plus for a while until last Saturday when I made the video.  I played much better today even though the competition was stiffer.

The best of the two players is a fisher/lobber type that simply gets the ball back and waits for me to make a mistake.  Every once in a while he attacks with his FH just to keep me honest but I can usually block those. He is very consistent and very fast so he can get to balls,  however I was flat hitting his returns and I could hit them fast enough to blast th e balls past him.  Both players said that my loops do jump out after the ball bounces.   They said the ball would bounce out low under their paddles or off to the side when I did a hook loop.

Both players hated playing against my Firewall Plus.  I would bounce balls back with my LP until I got a high ball to loop or flat hit.  Both players do their best to hit no spin balls at me to make it hard for me to attack with my LPs but if I step around these balls I can loop or flat hit with the Beijing IV. I usually only loop once per rally.   After that I flat hit.  I hit with my GD Talon 0X just like I would with hard bat if the ball is high enough.   These are usually winners.

I didn't do well chopping but I didn't chop much.  I only did a few back spin pushes which were effective in that the fisher/lobber would return the ball back too high and these were hit hard for winners.

Notice that I am playing with Beijing IV on my FH instead of my BH unlike GeneralSpecific.   Our style of play is much different.  I am an at the table player whereas GeneralSpecific is playing back from the table.  I can see why he probably didn't like the soft Beijing IV on his FH.  However up close to the table Beijing IV works well on the FH.

It is going to be interesting to see how the robot/cutting board tests will play out.

I would have made a video of the play today but my opponents didn't like playing against my Firewall Plus, the long pips, and weren't as motivated tonight.  The video wouldn't have been interesting.

Tomorrow I play a two wing looper.  He was much better than me at one time but he is re-learning the game after a 6 year layoff.

Edited by pnachtwey - 03/05/2012 at 11:00pm
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 1:06am
Today the red TB4 I ordered on monday arrived.   I mounted it on the BH side of my TBS+T05.   The difference in the firmness of the two sponges was extreme.   I weighed my TBS+T05+TB4 and it weighs 173 gm.   When I had T05 on my BH the paddle weighed over 180 gm so the difference in the cut weight between the T05 and TB4 is a little more than 7 gm.

I hit a bit with the robot comparing the TB4 and the T05.  I am not as enthusiastic about the TB4 on the TBS as I am about the TB4 on the FH of my Firewall Plus.  This is strange as general specific said he didn't like TB4 on his FH but I find TB4 works well on the FH of my Firewall Plus.   TB4 just feels too mushy for my BH.  This is a preference for the moment.  I must point out that I usually play with SP or LP 0X on my BH or I play hard bat so I am use to harder rubbers.

Tomorrow I will play the two wing looper again with my TBS+T05+TB4 and see how it goes.
Off topic.  This two wing looper actually asks me to play with my Firewall Plus+TB4+Talon LP 0X  just for the practice.  We are the same age but he can really move.  

Tek101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tek101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 2:55am
I am getting my sheet of TB4 tomorrow from the owner of Fastpaddle.... but I probably will not be able to review it until next week because I have a tournament on Saturday and my new blade comes in then (TSP Balsa Top Offensive 8.5). I hope I like it just as much as everyone else here on the forums, stay tuned!
|Xiom Ice Cream AZX|
|FH: Sword Long Can Pro Version
|BH: Xiom Vega Asia DF Max
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 4:17am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I just ordered a red TB4; it really is a super bh rubber on a fast hard blade. More to come in a review I'll make thorough.
I am also wondering if my red TB4 wouldn't play better on my 729 Bomb than on my TBS.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 4:24am
From what I've read about the rubber it sounds like it would play ok on one of the ~6.0mm hardwood blades, Rosewood V, YEO and friends?
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 11:14pm
I have played more with the Red TB4 on the BH of my TBS.  The TB4 seemed to work pretty well on either the FH or BH but I had the impression that I could close my paddle more when brushing with the T05 and still have the rubber grab the ball and hit it over the net.  That is my way of saying the TB4 has a slightly lower "T" word than the T05.   I preferred to play with the T05 on my FH.  When doing BH to BH drills I found it risky to do wrist brush loops with the TB4.  However, TB4 is a blocker, chop blocker and punch blockers dream as others have noted.

The TB4 appeared to be MUCH thicker than the T05 even though the TB4 should be 2.15mm thick and the T05 2.1mm thick.    Another thing I noticed right off but didn't report in my last post is that the red TB4 was no where close to as tacky as the black TB4 and the black TB4 wasn't very tacky.

I am not as enthusiastic about the red TB4 that I bought and put on the TBS as I am with the TB4 on the FH of my Firewall Plus.   The TB4 and Firewall Plus just seem to be made for each other.  I have removed the TB4 from the TBS and replaced it with IQUL SV 1.8mm.  The weight of the paddle went up from 173 gm with the TB4 to 178 with the IQUL SV 1.8mm.   IQUL SV 1.8mm is relatively heavy!  This doesn't mean that I don't like the TB4 but I must remove it to do the robot and cutting board tests.
The black TB4 is not leaving my Firewall Plus.

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 1:18am
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Funny stuff....laughed so hard I almost stopped breathing!! LOL
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 3:53am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

Funny stuff....laughed so hard I almost stopped breathing!! LOL
But in this case razortt said I was right to apply glue to both the glue sheet and the blade.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic