Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Clan (chat, reviews, etc)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC Clan (chat, reviews, etc)
    Posted: 03/14/2012 at 11:43am
This one will be dedicated to BBC brand which is also known to some of us as good old Charlie W. Smith, blade master extraordinaire

Reviews:

Fiddler

9-10-9

All-Around

1-Ply Cypress

Triflex Carbon

Anvil

Custom models:

Ultima

Ultima Plus

All-Around Obeche-Ayous

All-Around Black Walnut

2-CarboFlex

Oversized Fiddler 3-ply #1, #2

Custom Hardbat by BBC

Some chat:

Where's Charlie?

Original tester thread

general discussion

Please feel free to drop a line, to ask a question or to share your opinions on BBC and Charlie's blades.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 1:05pm
Jimt, Charlie really needs to update his site!!!! About a year and a half ago we heard of a couple of new blades and concepts floating around this forum and then nothing. 
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 1:13pm

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 1:20pm
Wow!!! that is impressive nathanso. Yes 40 big onesSmile
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 2:28pm
I have the All Around with Attack2 shape and Flared handle.   The blade is so balance, and the handle is big enough for my hand, and longer and any blade that I own.  I think with Attack1 shape, the handle is even longer, so unless you have extra large hand, you don't need to order the extra long handle.  I love BBC so much that I am in the process of getting Charlie to build me another All Around, but with 7-plies (W-O-3-ply-O-W).  Charlie is building 1 right now, but he wants to test it first hand, and see if it's not too heavy, and playable, before he let me order one Smile.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 2:54pm
hip hip, hooray for Charlie! ClapPartyThumbs Up

... a great blade maker and a swell guy.

Thanks Charlie!

p.s. sign me up in the BBC Clan as a 9-10-9 user. I'll post pics of my new one which is being made at this time.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 5:21pm
I "test drove" few of BBC blades in the past and have been thoroughly impressed with the quality of the quality and workmanship, as well as with Charlie personally. 

Too bad that the blades I tried didn't fit my preferences for an OFF/OFF- carbon blade that is relatively flexible, so it provides an equal balance between looping and hitting/blocking game .... until recently, when I received a prototype of his 7-7-7 blade utilizing thin ("1K") carbon, which appears to fit that bill perfectly, and I suspect it could become a real winner for Charlie, if he decides to to insert this model into his product lineup.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 5:34pm
I just went through a rather lengthy trial and error process with Charlie (Charlie's trials and my errors for the most part) which resulted in a perfect blade for me, of which I now have two.

Perhaps, I should dig through the e-mails I sent Charlie with my feedback on all the blades I tested in the process and post them here.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 5:40pm
That would be very interesting
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I just went through a rather lengthy trial and error process with Charlie (Charlie's trials and my errors for the most part) which resulted in a perfect blade for me, of which I now have two.

Perhaps, I should dig through the e-mails I sent Charlie with my feedback on all the blades I tested in the process and post them here.

ILya

Ilya, could you decipher the name 3-P-F HD of your blade? Thanks, man!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

OMG... going green with envy Cry

You crazy crazy collector... and lucky bastard at that! Big smile

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

Jimt, Charlie really needs to update his site!!!! About a year and a half ago we heard of a couple of new blades and concepts floating around this forum and then nothing. 

That is true - but remember that

a) Charlie himself is not a webmaster
b) hiring someone to maintain the site would probably kill any glimpse of hope for BBC to be profitable
c) I'd rather have Charlie work on (my!) blades than read up on Java/HTML etc and rebuild his website

But there is still hope that some crazy enthusiast will donate his time to help Charlie and his fans...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

I "test drove" few of BBC blades in the past and have been thoroughly impressed with the quality of the quality and workmanship, as well as with Charlie personally. 

Too bad that the blades I tried didn't fit my preferences for an OFF/OFF- carbon blade that is relatively flexible, so it provides an equal balance between looping and hitting/blocking game .... until recently, when I received a prototype of his 7-7-7 blade utilizing thin ("1K") carbon, which appears to fit that bill perfectly, and I suspect it could become a real winner for Charlie, if he decides to to insert this model into his product lineup.

Here's us hoping you will write a review for Triple Seven (BBC Jackpot?).  Also I hope to see you in ten days at Westchester Open so you can show me your new BBC blade... deal?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 6:34pm
I'm also wondering what the 3-P-F HD is Smile

Charlie mentioned to me a couple months ago that he was getting help on updating the website, so who knows! I'd love to see an upgrade, but like JimT, I'm content to have him working on my quirky requests

btw JimT, thanks for getting this thread going and organizing the nice layout of the intial post!
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2012 at 9:08pm
I have a skinny Triflex and an All Around. Both play great.

Charlie made the handles exactly to my dimensions. Workmanship is excellent.

I have a 9-9-9 coming in the mail.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 9:20am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Here's us hoping you will write a review for Triple Seven (BBC Jackpot?).  Also I hope to see you in ten days at Westchester Open so you can show me your new BBC blade... deal?

I'm really a low-level "equipment reviewer" - I go more by how I can play my game using a particular blade/rubber combination.  Having said so, let me give you some additional feedback:

I believe (not 100% sure) the 7-7-7 blade is built with three layers of cypress and two layers of micro-carbon.
  Apparently the cypress used in this blade is denser than the one in 9-10-9 and other BBC blades.  Also, the blade's head is slightly bigger than average.

I use Tibhar Aurus (regular) 2.1 mm on FH and 1.9 mm on BH.

Overall, it’s one of the best balanced carbon blades I've ever tried in that it balances looping and hitting/blocking performance fairly well.
  It’s relatively fast, but predictable (for me at least) in both short game, as well as away from the table.

The feel is solid (rather than hollow), and on the stiffer side (but not too stiff) - somewhat similar feel to 7 ply wood blades. Despite not being super flexible, the blade has more than decent rebound and nice vibration/feedback going into the handle.

Short game is solid and predictable, but not spectacular … I guess this is what one would expect from an OFF carbon blade.
  Interestingly, on touch shots, 7-7-7 feels a little bit more like a stiffer all wood blade (e.g. Clipper) than carbon, perhaps because the carbon layers are very thin and buried deep underneath a relatively thick outer ply.

Blocking, driving and hitting are very solid, accurate and predictable.

Lifting underspin isn't effortless, but it isn't a big chore either.
   One just needs to focus on proper brushing contact, otherwise the ball has a tendency to go long, since the blade is quite dynamic.

7-7-7 really shines away from the table.
  Power shots are outstanding, especially counter loops away from the table, where it feels like the harder you hit the ball the more likely it is to land.  Lobbing and fishing is outstanding as well.

I hope this helps.

Regarding the name, I like “BBC Jackpot” … though, perhaps given the presence of three 7’s in the prototype's name, we should change it to “BBC Lucky Jackpot”

JimT - I’m planning to be playing in the Westchester tournament on 3/25, and I’ll be more than happy to show and let you test drive the blade.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 12:08pm
"Lucky" is not necessary here, as Jackpot already means the win... but that's up to you of course.

What is the weight of the blade, btw?

See you at the tourney!

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 5:01pm
If I recall correctly 85g is written on the blade, but I'm not 100% sure.   I'll let check next time I remove rubbers from it and will let you know then.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

If I recall correctly 85g is written on the blade, but I'm not 100% sure.   I'll let check next time I remove rubbers from it and will let you know then.

Nah you don't have to do that - my interest in the weight is purely academic.

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2012 at 12:01am
I have a tricarbon which is the review sample above and also a anvil which I have never played with (brand new). The tricarbon has one of the best flared handles ever.
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2012 at 4:14pm
I got a chance yesterday to take a couple of pictures of my BBC Tricarbon to post.

I believe it is Attack shape I, thickness is 6.5mm, Weight 71 grams

Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 12:55pm
Just got two new BBC blades - One-Ply Cypress (I would really love for it to have a cooler name but then again, why do I care) and Ultima Speed (a variation of my main blade Ultima and of 9-10-9 - this one has 6-17-6 structure, meaning that outer WRC plies are 60 thou thick = 1.5 mm, then carbon layer, then central core WRC layer which is 170 thou thick = 4.25 mm).

Will post some photos and reviews soon.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 4:13pm

Carryboy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 5:03pm
Nice JimT I like the Ultima Speed and the BBC metal tags look nice not that anything was wrong with the original wood engraved logo which I do like very much.
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Carryboy Carryboy wrote:

Nice JimT I like the Ultima Speed and the BBC metal tags look nice not that anything was wrong with the original wood engraved logo which I do like very much.

Alas, those are simple sticker labels - Charlie temporarily ran out of wooden "buttons"

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 5:15am
very, very nice blades JimT... making me want a 1 ply from CW
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 10:22am
Sweet looking blades for sure. Thumbs Up
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Wait until I play with it. I intend to seal them both on Monday (can with Minwax sealant is in my office, so...), then put the rubbers on them on Tuesday - play on Wed-Thu - then I will start the review threads.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 3:43pm

Wait until I play with it. I intend to seal them both on Monday (can with Minwax sealant is in my office, so...), then put the rubbers on them on Tuesday - play on Wed-Thu - then I will start the review threads.
you're still not a believer that Charlie is sealing them?! Wink
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 4:41pm

you're still not a believer that Charlie is sealing them?! Wink

I still seal them a  bit myself as well...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic