FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

BBC Clan (chat, reviews, etc)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 4:52pm
Damn....
I'm also starting to get interested in BBC.

So how does it work? Do I state that I am interested in x.y.z and Charlie will make something for me? Can I also stated that I need X weight, and he can help with the weight reduction/addition etc?

I currently got a new blade - Ma Lin Carbon, and will try it out for a season. I might join your clan end of the year.... we will see Wink

One of my mate is actually wanting to change his Primorac Carbon to a similiar but lighter weight blade, maybe I can convince him to go for a BBC blade first.... what do you guys suggest for him?

Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 8:23pm
you can email Charlie at [email protected] and he'll probably be willing to adjust the specs for you and advise if he can hit the target weight you're looking for

as far as what carbon blade to suggest, I've only tried the 9-10-9, and after I did, I lost interest in all other composite blades

Edited by the_theologian - 05/26/2012 at 8:24pm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 8:24pm
... btw Zap I assume you've perused his models already? http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models

Edited by the_theologian - 05/26/2012 at 8:24pm
iamwardicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 7:31pm
I'm looking into a BBC or Ross Leidy blade - I know I can not go wrong with either choice.  Debating between the Carboflex Alpha and the 9-10-9 mostly though (so BBC). 
I want a carbon blade for the enhanced sweet spot, but I've got to find someone with a more flexible blade than my Dotec Control so I can feel the difference between a stiff and flexible blade.

Only hard part is how light can I get a blade and it still be balanced or slightly handle heavy with baracuda or geospin tacky rubbers on it.

Edited by iamwardicus - 05/29/2012 at 7:53pm
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 9:12pm
i do not want to go off topic but i am curious if any of you have tried both OSP and BBC blades? if you have, could you give me your take on these two brands?
thank you
RSM Special Platinum T64
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 1:37am
9-10-9 is a great blade but only barely flexible. haven't played with carboflex to know

I currently own 2 BBC's and 4 OSP's (and seeking more of both). all in all I've owned 6 BBC's and 5 OSP's

they are my two favorite brands for blades (with Ross Leidy close on their heels)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 3:31am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

... btw Zap I assume you've perused his models already? http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models

No, I haven't used any BBC blades before.

But his blades really look promising.

Thanks for you info.

Let me get my friend to try out first lol
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by iamwardicus iamwardicus wrote:

I'm looking into a BBC or Ross Leidy blade - I know I can not go wrong with either choice.  Debating between the Carboflex Alpha and the 9-10-9 mostly though (so BBC). 
I want a carbon blade for the enhanced sweet spot, but I've got to find someone with a more flexible blade than my Dotec Control so I can feel the difference between a stiff and flexible blade.

Only hard part is how light can I get a blade and it still be balanced or slightly handle heavy with baracuda or geospin tacky rubbers on it.

BBC 9-10-9 is about 7.5-7.6 mm thick so there is almost no flex. If you need flex, then go with Carboflex or smth similar from BBC catalog.

9-10-9 or Ultima line (7-16-7, 6-17-6) is mostly for blockers/hitters who don't do quick looping close to the table. They still loop very good with proper rubbers but not great at short opening loops or loops right off the bounce - depends on your technique of course but I am talking about general properties here.

You can also ask Charley to produce smth like 7-7-7 for you - one of the forummers here got it done and he likes it a lot, it a quite flexy carbon blade with good feeling (about 5.8 mm thick). Perhaps you would like to go just a tad thicker to add some stability - then do smth like 7-9-7 (each unit is 10 thou = 0.25 mm) which will be 6.3 mm thick. It will cost you the same as 9-10-9 but it will be your own unique customized blade.

Main thing is you need to REALLY know your stuff - like what thickness is best for you in terms of general flex, and how deep do you want the carbon layers to be. Once you decide, consult with Charley.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 4:54pm
I have a spin off the 9-10-9 M Special...much thinner 9ply three layers of hinoki and 3 layers of birch glued together instead of carbon... a looping machine...one downsize it is a bit too light for me...but very nice...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
iamwardicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 5:23pm
I'm obviously still learning, and depending on my work week my playtime can be minimal at best...  I just know I have to step it up a bit from my dotec control + geospin tacky as it's too slow.   I'll loop drive my absolute hardest and *plop* - easy return.  I'm hoping that with a blade change I can either get more spin (seems to be a dream though considering the advent of the new polymer ball), or I can keep the control and spin of the geospin but get another gear or two for when I need the speed/power to put away a shot.   I very rarely slam as I'd rather keep a ball on the table instead of loose control.  

The BBC Carboflex Alpha is a blade I've actually had a reasonable amount of playtime with, but that was 8 years ago.  I loved it, but the people I play against have vastly different styles than what I used to play against.  I need to change what I'm used to to compensate for that, and just improve the best I can.   I'll try to sample more blades tonight to get some feedback on flex if possible.

OT:
Also I've discovered the sport of pickleball which I can actually play for a few hours every week... we'll see how that goes too :-p
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 4:57am
Just a question.

Are these blades ITTF approved (does blades need to be approved?)
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 7:10am
Blades do not need ITTF approval.

They simply need to adhere to the construction guidelines found in the ITTF rulebook to be legal for play.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Nelsonckh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelsonckh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2012 at 4:02am
Nice collection there ... i will go for it :)

Edited by Nelsonckh - 06/08/2012 at 4:03am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2012 at 9:50pm
JimT,

You don't like your new 1-ply; you should trade it to me. It's very important that you believe me on this point.

Sincerely,
the_theologian
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 12:32am

JimT,

You don't like your new 1-ply; you should trade it to me. It's very important that you believe me on this point.

Sincerely,
the_theologian

I don't like it? hmm... your hypnotic powers are slowly wearing me down... Confused

Let me sleep on it Shocked

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 5:07am
(eery voice)

"JimT... this the the_theologian. I know you're sleeping right now... remember, you no longer want your BBC 1 ply and it is best to trade it to me..."

Smile
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2012 at 12:23pm

(eery voice)

"JimT... this the the_theologian. I know you're sleeping right now... remember, you no longer want your BBC 1 ply and it is best to trade it to me..."

Smile

Oh man, so that's who is to blame for me having those nightmares! Stop it man, I tells ya! just stop it or I won't be responsible for the consequences! Angry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic