Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the best training DVD set avail for lefty?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What is the best training DVD set avail for lefty?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old-Man-Southpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best training DVD set avail for lefty?
    Posted: 03/21/2012 at 11:47am
I see there are some available, although I haven't seen any specialized for lefties, but if there are any done by a shakehand lefty, especially with slow motion video and good explanations, that might be preferable.

My FH side is probably pretty normal, playing spinny inverted rubber on a slow blade, trying to serve, push, chop, and attack from there.  Don't have a loop, but I think I'm getting closer to being able to.  Have a good smash/drive, but need to learn to adjust for incoming spin better.

My BH side is long pips, and I serve and chop, mostly, loop any chop and sometimes topspin or hit with it.  To be honest, I'm not expecting much from a DVD to help me here, except maybe to get better form and hopefully more spin on my chops.

Also need footwork, strategy and serve/serve return help. 

I recently bought a video camera capable of taking 1080 video at 60 fps so I can record my practice or matches and see my successes or failures, and would like to be able to use that to compare to the training material to see what I'm doing vs what I should be doing.

Any suggestions what are the best training/tutorial DVD's out there?  Or ones to avoid?  Or ones downloadable from the net (even if at a cost)?

--- Push/Chop or Attack ---

Blade: TT Piet Off/All Custom 5 ply

FH: Rakza 7

BH: DTec.S Long pips

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48168
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2012 at 11:55am
I traded a premade buster combo to Brian Pace for a copy of his videos.  I haven't watched much of them, but what I saw was better than the previous couple I had watched.  Production quality especially.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2012 at 6:55pm
I have the 2 Dr Neubauer pimple videos.
PM me if you want to buy the used DVD's.
If you want them in new condition, they are available at Paddle Palace.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2012 at 9:38pm
You might try looking at www.pingskills.com stuff.  I think one of their main guys on the videos is left handed, if that is what you are looking for.  I haven't personally tried their stuff, so I don't know how good it is, but you can check out some of their samples on youtube before you buy.

Edited by Brainstorm69 - 03/21/2012 at 9:39pm
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Old-Man-Southpaw Old-Man-Southpaw wrote:

I see there are some available, although I haven't seen any specialized for lefties, but if there are any done by a shakehand lefty, especially with slow motion video and good explanations, that might be preferable.

The Killerspin Success in Table Tennis is quite good in my opinion (I think I have the 2nd Edition). They use Karakasevic (lefty) for a lot of the shot demos, including slow-motion.

note: although the dvd is good overall, they provide these little diagrams of where you hit the ball on certain shots, which don't make sense

anyway, I recommend it (got mine from megaspin)

Edited by the_theologian - 03/22/2012 at 11:38am
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 11:09am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I traded a premade buster combo to Brian Pace for a copy of his videos.  I haven't watched much of them, but what I saw was better than the previous couple I had watched.  Production quality especially.

I looked at his website and it looks very expensive because each lesson (looks like one type of stroke each) is about $40.

I really hadn't thought about how much I was willing to spend, but I suppose the price of a sheet of rubber or an hour of private one on one lessons wouldn't be an unreasonable amount to spend.  I was hoping to find one complete set (ie not one dvd worth) done well for in the $40 or under range.

I guess I'm looking for a grey area between "free" from youtube on the net and the cost of private lessons which I can't afford.  I would prefer it in English, or if not, at least with English subtitles, please. 

PS: I'm currently rated at mid 1600's, so I'm not looking for beginner training, LOL, unless its to try to unlearn what I do.

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 03/23/2012 at 11:13am

danseemiller1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 11:23am
 Hi,
 You might want to try my Complete Table Tennis DVD set. It is 3 and a half hours long and covers everything I have learned from the sport. It's a bit expensive at $79.95 but worth it. 
 Can be found at completetabletennis.com
Dan
danseemiller1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 11:24am
 By the way I am lefty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by danseemiller1 danseemiller1 wrote:

By the way I am lefty.

Thanks for posting, here.  I'll check it out.

I haven't seen you play since the mid 1970's in PA, and I didn't notice that you were left handed the last time we met.  I go through life thinking everyone is righty but me sometimes, and don't even notice that there are other lefties around, many times.

I'll probably see you again at your next tournament.  Your last one was my first ever, LOL.

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 1:04pm
$29.99 for the Killerspin option (1 DVD which covers a lot) at Megaspin http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=k-success-dvd-2

$22.48 at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Killerspin-500-01-Success-Tennis-Edition/dp/B0006ZRNY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332522208&sr=8-1

Edited by the_theologian - 03/23/2012 at 1:04pm
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 4:37pm
Well, I ended up ordering both the Killerspin and Seemiller DVD's.  

The total for both combined is 1/3 the cost of the online training I found, and being from Chicago, if the Seemiller one is good enough and I get rich, maybe I'll go to one of the camps AFTER going thru the dvd a number of times, so that I will get the most possible out of it if I go.

My game is improving by leaps and bounds lately.  I can actually FEEL the ball on the paddle, and sort of COAX it to spin, both FH and BH, now, even with different blades, rubbers or sponges.  Its a real awakening to be able to feel the ball and control it.

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 04/29/2012 at 4:38pm

Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 6:46pm
So what do you think of the DVDs?  I envy you your new table tennis "awareness."  I wish I had such a feeling.  Do you know how you were able to accomplish this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 10:11pm
I haven't got the DVD's yet, as I just ordered them today.

The "feeling" of the ball started when I was practicing doing serves to bounce multiple times on the other side, going under the ball and trying to drag the paddle around it, and coax it to spin instead of bouncing off it.  After that, with chops, on both sides, which are natural extensions of the underspin serves, and then with tomahawk topspin/sidespin serves followed by trying to loop, and realizing I needed that same coaxing of the ball instead of killing it.  And then I was hitting away from the table one day, and I was able to do it hitting topspin/sidespin shots, too... 

Maybe I'm starting to "get it", LOL

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 12:30am

My FH side is probably pretty normal, playing spinny inverted rubber on a slow blade, trying to serve, push, chop, and attack from there.  Don't have a loop, but I think I'm getting closer to being able to.  Have a good smash/drive, but need to learn to adjust for incoming spin better.

My BH side is long pips, and I serve and chop, mostly, loop any chop and sometimes topspin or hit with it.  To be honest, I'm not expecting much from a DVD to help me here, except maybe to get better form and hopefully more spin on my chops.

Also need footwork, strategy and serve/serve return help. 

I recently bought a video camera capable of taking 1080 video at 60 fps so I can record my practice or matches and see my successes or failures, and would like to be able to use that to compare to the training material to see what I'm doing vs what I should be doing.

Any suggestions what are the best training/tutorial DVD's out there?  Or ones to avoid?  Or ones downloadable from the net (even if at a cost)?

the best is tibhar videos, even for physical prep
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 2:05am
Originally posted by danseemiller1 danseemiller1 wrote:

Hi,
 You might want to try my Complete Table Tennis DVD set. It is 3 and a half hours long and covers everything I have learned from the sport. It's a bit expensive at $79.95 but worth it. 
 Can be found at completetabletennis.com
Dan
What type of backhand do you recommend in the DVD? Do you teach the Seemiller backhand?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Where do you find the Tibhar videos?  I found one that was called part 1, but no others.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 5:02pm
I found part 1 of the Tibhar video in english on youtube, but not the rest.  I found the entire the 46 minute Tibhar video, but the speaking was in Russian, perhaps, so I can't understand it.  The first part which I found in english had some good exercises, I thought.

I got the Dr N DVD and watched part of it.  I will go back to it and try the shots used with my robot and the LP I have when I get some time.

I got the Killerspin video and watched it all the way through once.  I agree it has good slow motion video and uses a left handed player for a lot of the shots.  They tell you how to do things, but not so much on what mistakes are common and how to fix.  Its setup to be able to go to each type of shot and watch starting at that one, which was nice.  I actually liked the ball contact thing, and suspect it holds the answer to the current problem I'm fighting (smashing into the net vs underspin), even though the video itself doesn't address my problem at all.

I got the Seemiller video, and it has more how to and what are the common mistakes, but not as fancy slow motion wise.  Its setup in sections, but you don't have easy access to any particular shot.  I think its the best of the bunch from what I've watched so far, but it and the Killerspin are different and complementary with some overlap on basics.

The most interesting thing is the amazing amount that I didn't know, and would have been much better off had I seen these a year ago or 45 years ago.   None of this existed back then that I know of, and had I learned the basics way back when, I'd have been suffering less and spending less trying to get the equipment to make up for my lack of knowledge, ability and training.

I'd recommend anyone trying to learn the sport spend $100 on some setup like what I did here (Killerspin + Seemiller) or some equivalent web based series, and in addition some basic classes (like an inexpensive group class) or lessons to get a good start at things, rather than fumble along not knowing things and  trying to be something you are not meant to be as I have done so many times.

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 05/05/2012 at 5:06pm

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2012 at 4:11am
TableTennisMaster's DVDs are pretty good if your aspiration is to loop and serve like Ma Long :-)
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2012 at 5:33am

I found the entire the 46 minute Tibhar video, but the speaking was in Russian, perhaps, so I can't understand it.

Mind sharing the link?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2012 at 5:44am

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Where do you find the Tibhar videos?  I found one that was called part 1, but no others.

romanian tt forum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2012 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

I found the entire the 46 minute Tibhar video, but the speaking was in Russian, perhaps, so I can't understand it.

Mind sharing the link?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2012 at 3:57pm
I found an english version of the Tibhar videos available with bittorrent

I needed to install VLC to play it because its in MP4 format

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 05/06/2012 at 3:59pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic