Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - April 2012: Seattle+Vancouver+Portland TT Trip!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

April 2012: Seattle+Vancouver+Portland TT Trip!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: April 2012: Seattle+Vancouver+Portland TT Trip!
    Posted: 03/21/2012 at 7:08pm
Any MYTT Members in the Pacific Northwest want to smack the ball around?

Edited by tommyzai - 04/03/2012 at 11:56pm
THE UNSTOPPABLE EJ MADMAN!

For More Information, Contact: tommy@tommyzai.com
benfb View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2012 at 11:06pm
Hi Tommy,

You can check the Portland club's web site for their schedule here: http://www.portlandtabletennis.com/shedule.htm.  Generally speaking, Portland has fewer playing opportunities on Monday.  Harold Street is their full time facility but it's very small, crowded and limited lighting.  Sometimes they get really good players but I'm not sure when and otherwise, they're weak.

If you can make it to Salem (about an hour away), we'd be happy to play with you.  We have a full-time facility but it's not open all the time (Salem isn't a large enough city to draw that many players).  Monday nights is a our beginner's lessons night but they don't use all the tables so there's still room for stronger players to play.  If I know your playing strength I can try to draw in some of the better local players.  Our web site provides details: www.wtabletennis.org.  It is an awesome facility.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 1:54am
Super!! I will read more carefully tomorrow. I hope to meet a MYTT member or too and rally a bit. No matches for me as I will have surgery on the 28th in Seattle. Still, hitting a bit would be cool.

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 2:23am
If you are going to be in town on Sunday, the place to play would be at Tualatin Hills, about 15 minutes southwest of Portland city center. High Ceilings and lots of tables and high level of play (usually). The open play at David Douglas High School on Monday nights has been pretty good. Recently, most of the players have been in the 1800-2000 level with a few above that.

The Harold street location may be on the dank/ghetto side, but it's open every day.

Edited by esnift - 03/22/2012 at 2:24am
Strato
Hurricane III
Vega P
IanMcg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 6:53am
On sundays the Harold Street Club is used for coaching but I gues you could stop by.

You could stop by Blitz Ladd for a mini tournament, or go to the Tualatin Hills Recreational Center.

Theres also the Blitz Ladd (which I al sadly too young for at the moment) which I think has Sunday tournaments, but you stated you don't want to play in any

So yeah, thats basically it for Portland. There was a club downtown in a Li Ning store but it got closed ecause the floors were too slippery.

You could always stop by my neighborhood and come by my house as I have a table in my driveway.

We actually have two tables in our street LOL

Ian
All generalizations are incorrect, including this one.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 1:22pm
I like playing in the rain. I can serve an amazing spitter that is un-returnable! 

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2012 at 1:33pm
I think my schedule is as follows, but I'll confirm with the princess later:

27th: arrive early afternoon in Seattle, get together with FATT around 5PM or so
28th: go under the knife, bounce out of recovery room and drive to Vancouver
29th:Vancouver
30th: G/F wants to visit some outlets somewhere between Vancouver and Portland (outskirts of Seattle?)
31st: Portland
1st: Portland
2nd: Seattle
3rd: Fly back to Phoenix early in the morning.

Hey, any MYTT Forum Members in Vancouver? Any work at the outlets? LOL

Edited by tommyzai - 03/22/2012 at 1:34pm

vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 1:34am
too bad you cant attend the GLTTC tournamen, tommy!!!
bty petr korbel
fh: tibhar evol mx-p 2.1mm black
bh: dawei iqul 2.2mm red
Feedback me
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2012 at 2:31am
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

too bad you cant attend the GLTTC tournamen, tommy!!!

I appreciate the kind words!! If I enjoy the area during this trip you might be stuck with me!

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 5:40pm

27th: Seattle 

28th+29th: Vancouver

30th (friday): North of Portland, maybe Vancouver, WA

31st (saturday): Portland

1st: (sunday) Portland

2nd: Monday (Pick up some blades at Paddle Palace, drive back to Seattle

3rd: Tuesday (home)

Edited by tommyzai - 03/24/2012 at 5:40pm

IanMcg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 8:51pm
If you can make it to the Harold street club on Saturday I might be there

Or I may not be. Currently in Korea, getting back around the 30th.

I'm a 5'9 Asian kid with the R*1...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 10:23pm
IanMcG, you're an Asian kid with a Scottish name! :-)
I hope I can visit the club on the 30th. Is it open on the 31st?

IanMcg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 11:17pm
I'm pretty sure it will be open both days. I ised to go fridays, but now I go mondays and thursdays and saturdays. Usually better players then. Prime times are around 2-10 pm. I usually go from 6 to 8 or 9 pm.

As for the Scottish thing, yeah I'm an adopted Korean with Scottish Canadian Californian parents. I don't speak an ounce of Korean, but I have a good understanding of Japanese. English (American) is my forte...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 8:04pm
Leaving in the morning. FATT, see you tomorrow. Hope to see some of you NW players along the way!

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2012 at 8:51pm

Meeting FATT at this funky hotel lobby in about 30 minutes. Should be a blast! Hope to meet up with a Vancouver MYTT member, but no luck so far. Portland is after that and there should be some fellowship!

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2012 at 12:44am
I had a blast blasting the ball with FATT in Seattle. The club was dojo cool. We rallied until our arms were hanging off and then played a marathon match. FATT can play!! He is more than an EJ. Anything near his powerzone is trouble . . . for the opponent. Our match came down to double douce and I'm man enough to admit I went down on a nasty long serve to my BH and a sidewinding loop drive to my wide FH. RATZ. I'll get you next time FATT MAN!!!
I am in Vancouver hurting from surgery and hurting from not meeting any MYTT forum members here.

Edited by tommyzai - 03/31/2012 at 4:38pm

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2012 at 12:47am
Tommy,
They heard you were coming and hid! Smile
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 12:22pm
It was a lot of fun finally meeting with the great tommyzai in person. I had trouble as he can switch from seemiler grip tp cpen to shakehand on demand, sometimes in the same rally.  After playing a couple hours we went to my favorite after TT restaurant, a hong kong style place where dozens of retired Chinese people go (which is always a good sign to me) and where more than half of their income is take out from Asian customers (another good sign).

TZ's girlfriend was with us the whole time. She is one of the most lovely woman I have ever met in my life; MAN! so much beauty in one person is almost unfair; but she is so mean! I can't believe how she treats him; she yells at him, beats him up and he takes it all with a smile; why wouldn't he? he just has to look at her and her insane beauty takes over his mind that melts like butter under the sun so she is in control.

During dinner he left a broccoli fall from his chopstick and she went on a rant about it; I could not believe it; then he was wondering which was his hot tea glass between his and mine and she almost hit him with the plate that she was handing to the waitress at the moment. Then the bill came and guess what: she paid the bill (thank you for dinner!!! I had a wonderful beef chow fun).

That's her secret I think: she can manage hot and cold to always keep him on the edge; she has an invisible whip that I bet he enjoys; and...and...she is so unbelievably gorgeous!

Bravo TZ!  don't ever loose her; she is the spice of your life and more I bet.

So I just picked them up, we drove to that dojo/club, had dinner and I dropped them back; can't wait to do it again maybe Monday night when they are back from Portland. That's a night like I like.

I hope they send me the pictures we did together on their camera; mine was full.

More to come,
fatt
we ping therefore we are feedback the fatt ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) who gives a flying polyball
fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 1:01pm
I went over the KC journey again:
IMO no thread has put members so close together in such a communion of TT, heart and spirit.
Bravo again to TZ for making the journey possible and jcdi for starting the thread; it is undoubtedly my best memory on the forum.
we ping therefore we are feedback the fatt ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) who gives a flying polyball
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 4:44pm
Hookshot, you are right! The Vancouver members hid from me. I even went to their club, which is open all the time. I spanked 5 or 6 elderly in wheelchairs and left. I should mention . . . one of them was also blind and beat me 3-1. FATT, my g/f thanks you for taking us around, but wonders where you learned to drive. According to her, "He drive one way on one way street, but he drive the wrong one way." We are in Portland and will try to meet up tonight with IanMcG. I can only promise a handshake, dirty looks from my g/f, and rally like a statue.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 4:45pm
Viva la MKC.

fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Hookshot, you are right! The Vancouver members hid from me. I even went to their club, which is open all the time. I spanked 5 or 6 elderly in wheelchairs and left. I should mention . . . one of them was also blind and beat me 3-1. FATT, my g/f thanks you for taking us around, but wonders where you learned to drive. According to her, "He drive one way on one way street, but he drive the wrong one way." We are in Portland and will try to meet up tonight with IanMcG. I can only promise a handshake, dirty looks from my g/f, and rally like a statue.
I knew she did not like me; I mean: what's to like? LOL I learned in France but I got much better after my visits to Nanchang and Guangzhou. Now I get the car home intact despite the problems I may encounter.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 7:00pm
FATT, your driving was the best part of the trip. It was way more exciting than the Cyclone at Coney Island.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 7:05pm
I had a nice invite to a club outside Portland, but not sure I can get there. I will try to visit some club on Harold Street in Portland. I have no idea where it is, but I heard I might get robbed because the meth labs use table tennis rubbers to cook up their stuff.

Oops, the club on H St is closed at 6PM today . . . no nighttime open play. Hopefully IanMcG and gang can go tomorrow at 6PM. They are open until 10PM tomorrow.
. d

Edited by tommyzai - 03/31/2012 at 7:22pm

fatt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 7:28pm

BLITZ TAVERN

2239 SE 11th Ave. (Corner of SE 11th and SE Sherman)

This is a tavern with 5 tables. the ping pong area was created by Tim Titrud; I recommend the place for a nice night.

From the web:

"This huge bar is great for group gatherings. In addition to ping pong tables (and weekly tournaments), they also have shuffleboard, foosball, and TVs for sports viewing. The food is better than most typical bars, too."

IanMcg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

BLITZ TAVERN

2239 SE 11th Ave. (Corner of SE 11th and SE Sherman)

This is a tavern with 5 tables. the ping pong area was created by Tim Titrud; I recommend the place for a nice night.

From the web:

"This huge bar is great for group gatherings. In addition to ping pong tables (and weekly tournaments), they also have shuffleboard, foosball, and TVs for sports viewing. The food is better than most typical bars, too."

I'm too young for this place... LOL
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 7:39pm
We will meet at H St tomorrow and my g/f can beat me senseless at the bar after.

Slade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2012 at 8:25pm
Hmm...
USATT 1700 ··· 11/02/2013   ◄ ПЕШ
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 1:10am
Slade!!! tomorrow night . . . Harold STREET. Come say Hi and hit the ball around. I had surgery 3 days ago so I'm a freakin' cripple, but I still want to meet you guys and let you see my g/f slap me around.

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2012 at 3:40am
I will come to the Harold St club too Sunday.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic