Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Dotec blade legal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iamwardicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dotec blade legal?
    Posted: 03/24/2012 at 8:32pm
I read a post on a different forum saying that the Dotec blade(s) are technically illegal for tournament play because their core layer isn't technically continuous.  Is this true and is there anyone that's able to take pictures of the various dotec blades to confirm this?

USATT Rules

2.4.5 The blade, any layer within the
blade and any layer of covering
material or adhesive on a side used
for striking the ball shall be
continuous and of even thickness. 

I'm wondering as I'm getting back into the game and there's someone at the table tennis club that offered to help me get registered so I can compete in a tournament.
Many thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 8:51pm
The ITTF don't care about that. Hundreds of blades use more than one piece for the core. There's no need to worry about it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 8:57pm
Ok, that's what I wasn't sure about... I think I'll be with USATT but the rule sets seem similar.   I just don't want to get my new blade/rubber and learn it - then find out it's illegal for play.  
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 9:15pm
Never hears of anyone checking a blade out. Short of pulling it apart it would be tough to prove too. The Andro blax series have dividing slats in between the balsa core dividing it up into a brick like structure. Never heard about it being illegal.

The rules does however state the playing surface which the core is not.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 9:38pm
It does say "Any" layer withen the blade.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 10:32pm
In my opinion once it's glued it's as continuous as any piece of wood is, it's a non issue. There's so many unclear and badly written rules in the laws of table tennis you can basically through half of them out

Edited by bluebucket - 03/24/2012 at 10:33pm
loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 9:32am
It's continuous if there isn't any gap. I have the BTY KLH and the Sclarger Carbon have core plies that aren't one piece. They are jointed and continuous.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 9:59am
Originally posted by GoldenDragoon GoldenDragoon wrote:

Never hears of anyone checking a blade out. Short of pulling it apart it would be tough to prove too. The Andro blax series have dividing slats in between the balsa core dividing it up into a brick like structure. Never heard about it being illegal.

The rules does however state the playing surface which the core is not.

Yep. Donic's DOTEC blades use an almost identical "block core" design to the Blax series (cost savings, small pieces of wood are cheaper than big pieces).

Originally posted by loop+loop loop+loop wrote:

It's continuous if there isn't any gap. I have the BTY KLH and the Sclarger Carbon have core plies that aren't one piece. They are jointed and continuous.

Plenty of manufacturers (Stiga, BTY etc) use jointed core materials; it saves them money.

Basically, if the big manufacturers are doing it, then it's legal.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 2:45pm
Jointed core material? What the crap are they doing! With high cost of most blades you would expect solid plys. That's like adding Pink Slime to hamburger meat. Just any way to rip off the consumer..bastards! BBC and Ross Leidy know what a great blade is without trying to fool the public. No excuse for that type of construction...shameful in my book. Ermm
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

iliketurtles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliketurtles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Jointed core material? What the crap are they doing! With high cost of most blades you would expect solid plys. That's like adding Pink Slime to hamburger meat. Just any way to rip off the consumer..bastards! BBC and Ross Leidy know what a great blade is without trying to fool the public. No excuse for that type of construction...shameful in my book. Ermm

Amen!

And don't get me started on marketing claims (Donic Bloodwood 5 "Quick Allround"!!!)

If you buy from a big manufacturer, it's legal (as said earlier).

Simply put:

If jointed plies save companies money, it makes products cheaper.  

Cheaper Products = More Products Sold.

More Products Sold = More Money.

And everybody knows how corporations LOVE money!

P.s. The companies still give consumers larger price (than manufacturer spends) in order to make money... no surprise. 
1-Ply AH NWC - Butterfly Spin Art - Juic 999 Turbo
Tube Carbo - Andro Hexer HD - Donic Acuda S1 Turbo
Just waiting for the 999 Turbo...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 7:06pm
I wish BBC could make an imitation dotec blade...  The very comfortable handle & the exceptional control is why i'm going to purchase one.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by iamwardicus iamwardicus wrote:

I wish BBC could make an imitation dotec blade...  The very comfortable handle & the exceptional control is why i'm going to purchase one.

I think they've got patents (or at least copyright) on the design, which is why no other manufacturer has copied it.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamwardicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 7:49pm
I'm sure they do.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2012 at 8:39pm
technically no, because the rules state that the racket must be made of CONTINUOUS wooden materials. The Dotec blades have fibers that cut horizontally to the grain of the wood

But the ITTF allows the Defence II, which has five plies in the handle and three in the head. So I guess its legal.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 3:22am
I think it depends a little on your interpretation of continuous... it could be interpreted as continuous thickness or the same material through a layer. I've never heard of a blade being disqualified, so I doubt it's an issue.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 9:04am

Continuous simply means that you can not have hollow section in the CORE or any part of the blade.  This is to prevent the uneven bounce of the ball.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2012 at 11:19am
I've seen the inside of a Donic Dotec blade that broke along one of the fiberglass strips and it seemed to be an obvious violation of the continuous layer rule. For those unfamiliar with the Dotec core, it is altogether different then your basic horizontally laminated multi-layer blade, i.e. a blade made in the way plywood is made, whether all wood or wood+fiber.

The Dotec blade's core is vertically laminated with thin strips of what appear to be fiberglass spaced every inch or so. If you were looking at the hitting surface of blade with its outer skins removed, these strips would appear edge-on as threads crossing the head horizontally.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic