FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Butterfly ZJK Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly ZJK Review
    Posted: 04/02/2012 at 1:17am
It has been a long time I haven't played with Butterfly Blade. I prefer 5 ply blades with nice feel and vibration with good control.
The other reason I don't use Butterfly blade because it doesn't suit H3 very well...
But When I saw Butterfly ZJK at Tokyo TT Shop, I couldn't resist to buy it (either it plays well or not).
It has a nice big FL handle, and the handle design makes me want to buy LOL

Blade: ZJK 90 Gr
FH Rubber: H3 National 2.2 tuned with 1 layer of Dianchi
BH Rubber: T64 2.1 mm

I've tried to play with ZJK for 2 sessions and 1 session with coach. So I made a comparison between ZJK and Violin/Acoustic that I use most often.

I have to say it out perform Violin/Acoustic in all department like passive block, punch block, slow loop, powerloop, smash.
Violin/Acoustic only have better control and better feel, that's all.
But the feel of ZJK isn't that far behind, it's not as vibrate as Acoustic, but it has a nice, sufficient feel.

H3 National on ZJK vs Violin/Acoustic:

My forehand loop is rarely score an ace when I use all wood, my loop is still can be blocked but it goes off table. With ZJK I can make my opponent not even know where my loop lands.
This is very important for me that I will sacrifice a bit of feel of all wood blades.
The Arylate Carbon can give a strong catapult effect when needed if you loop it hard, but on short game it gives you a nice control as an all wood.

T64 on ZJK vs on Violin/Acoustic

I never like T64 on either Violin/Acoustic, it lacks of speed/kick and lack of spin. But I remember ZJK himself use T64 on his Viscaria, so I have to try how good this rubber on ZJK and now I know why!!!
It's just much better than on all wood blades that I've tried. It has more speed, more kick and better spin on ZJK.
I still have to adjust to block a powerful loop with ZJK, but it's just a matter of time.
It's not as sensitive compared to T05 and it's better for power loop too.
Opening loop I have to use my wrist more than T05.

My Opponent comment about my setup change

One of my friend who plays with me regularly every week. He said my loop is much more difficult to block, when I tell him I change my blade, he said no wonder!!!
He is a good blocker, when I loop it with all wood blade cross court to his FH side, he can just close block it relatively easy, now he's difficult doing the same thing.

Conclusion

I have to admit and take my words back that Butterfly isn't a good company to make a good blades. I always proud of owning Nittaku, because they make one of the best all wood blade in the market now. Table Tennis is a game which need scoring a confincing winner, with all wood blade I only can enjoy the feel when hitting the ball but rarely easy to score a powerful winner, with Butterfly ZJK I can still use the same technique as all wood blade, but the result of the loop is much more destructive than all wood blades.
It's the time for me to move to composite blades, It's a joyful feel when I score a winner which is not even my opponent can touch the ball to block it.

Edited by peter79 - 04/02/2012 at 11:42pm
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Sponsored Links

mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 1:33am
how bout service returns and push? does it have nice control too?
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

how bout service returns and push? does it have nice control too?

It's not as good as violin/acoustic, but the difference isn't that great.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 1:56am
Is the FL handle thicker than the typical FL handle?
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
vvu.tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvu.tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 2:43am
cotdt, slightly thicker

nice review peter79! may not be as rigorous as other reviews, but it reflects well your conclusions.

I totally agree with your conclusion about BTY ALC blades' feel, it may not be the Accoustic's all-wood feel but it is not far behind, and there are lots of all-wood blades that are deader in feel.

(1) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - BTY T05
(2) BTY T64 - BTY M.MAZE - DHS H3 Neo Provincial
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 3:22am
Nice review, but you should have bought a new camera instead of another blade :P
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 3:43am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Nice review, but you should have bought a new camera instead of another blade :P

I'm using my camera phone Embarrassed
I'll use DSLR to take a better photo, doesn't expect to review it today, so the picture is for temporary only LOL
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 5:59am
the real deal is the michael maze. the zjk blade lacks feeling gears and control.

imo this review is too enthusiastic about the zjk blade.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 7:41am
Well I've tried maze with H3, too much dwell time....
I'm using H3, I feel it's not lack of gear, better control compare to TB ALC...
I agree it isn't as easy to control compare to all wood blades, but it's worth it...
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

arxidiavol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arxidiavol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 8:00am
Can you compare ZJK and TB ALC, Spirit ?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 10:39am
 ZJK is classified as OFF- on the butterflyonline.com website. BTY catalog it is listed as OFF. TBS flared is a true OFF while I find TBS ST. faster due to more mass in the handle. Each blade is different so find the one that suits you. I prefer the feel of all wood and think it is better for mid level tournament players. Playing with TBS felt I was disconnected from the ball.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

arxidiavol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arxidiavol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 5:39pm
Yes, I have similar feel when I played Korbel after my TB ALC which seemed unbeatable weapon in spin department for me...Of course, I used the same T05 both sides.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2012 at 11:45pm
New Picture uploaded...
T64 eventhough it's not sensitive from incoming spin, it's very bouncy.
Now I put Roxon 500 pro on BH, let's see how it plays tonight.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 12:08am
when I used timo boll spirit I used regular sriver in the bh and it was enough.
good power and good control.
in fh I used tuned h3. tuned h3 + tbs is too good to be true.

the only problem of tbs is that you have to be very accurate in your shots, it doesn't forgive mistakes, specially during blocks.

Edited by sa01 - 04/03/2012 at 12:13am
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 12:18am
Originally posted by arxidiavol arxidiavol wrote:

Can you compare ZJK and TB ALC, Spirit ?

If I still remember correctly, ZJK feels softer. TB ALC and Spirit feels crispier.
The different between the blades is in the center ply.
I've compared ZJK and TBS, ZJK center ply is a fraction thicker...
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 12:20am
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

ZJK is classified as OFF- on the butterflyonline.com website. BTY catalog it is listed as OFF. TBS flared is a true OFF while I find TBS ST. faster due to more mass in the handle. Each blade is different so find the one that suits you. I prefer the feel of all wood and think it is better for mid level tournament players. Playing with TBS felt I was disconnected from the ball.

TBS is worse than ZJK interms of feel. But Still can't compete with all wood blades for feel and confidence. I hope I can do a nice transition from all wood blade to Composite, since I get older and older, I must change to composite soon or later...
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 12:26am
Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

the only problem of tbs is that you have to be very accurate in your shots, it doesn't forgive mistakes, specially during blocks.

Yeah I must commit to loop, once I'm not sure then the result is poor.

Sriver? do you use speed glue or just normal glue?
Has anyone tried to boost Sriver with Dian Chi?
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 12:50am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Originally posted by sa01 sa01 wrote:

Yeah I must commit to loop, once I'm not sure then the result is poor.

Sriver? do you use speed glue or just normal glue?
Has anyone tried to boost Sriver with Dian Chi?

regular sriver max without glue.
but I'm fh oriented so I don't end many points with my bh.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2012 at 7:00am
sriver max is heavy. and max in the bh brings lack of touch for most people.
however with btfy a/c sriver fx 1,9 plays as hell. not a fashion bh rubber but the score will tell the truth.

EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Takkyu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takkyu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 8:27am
Do you speed glue or boost your Sriver fx 1.9 EJ ?
VISCARIA fl
Hurricane 3 Provincial
Stiga Boost TX
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 10:32am

the sriver fx 1,9 speedglued is very good. i did it always before the glue ban. now i do not speedglue.

even without speedgluing the touch about this rubber in bh pays off. i have to put more arm power but with an a/c blade there is enough speed for me. and i am always safe about the bh against no matter what opponent (agressive off, LPs, ...). can do it all in so many ways and have such a good looping game, placement and receiving. 

Edited by ejmaster - 04/04/2012 at 10:39am
EJ Club.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 10:47am
Sriver fx will be too soft on ZJK, I'm thinking to try Sriver L 1.9 mm....
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

bros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 11:00am

Try xiom vega pro,N tell me if you don't like it(1,8MM)
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 11:54am
Originally posted by bros bros wrote:

Wow, you use 1,8 mm not 2,0 mm?
Isn't it too thin?
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

bros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 12:09pm

Originally posted by bros bros wrote:

Wow, you use 1,8 mm not 2,0 mm?Isn't it too thin?

For BH is enough to me, let the arylate carbon work on it, 2.0mm feel less dwell time to
me.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 7:27pm
the sriverfx in bh does not feel too soft. feels very good touch.
it can be slow with some blades.

EJ Club.

Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2012 at 1:49am
Try tenergy 64 fx it is very good as a backhand rubber all the power but yet controllable
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2012 at 2:15am
Well I found T64 too bouncy and soft. Tenergy 64Fx would be even softer....
Thanks for your suggestion. Now I use Roxon 500 Pro 2.0 and will try it tonight.

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2012 at 12:05pm
Already tested Roxon 500 pro 2.0 on Backhand, it's much better than T64!!!
With T64 If I block against slow speed but spiny loops, it often doesn't cross the net.
And if I block against fast speed loops it often goes out table because of the bounciness of the sponge.
I almost gave up using ZJK because my BH which is one of my weapon doesn't feel confident enough, my strong FH loops winning points not enough for me to cover even more backhand error, most of them blocking, counter loop and smash, it really doesn't feel solid enough for me.

Luckily I have another try with Roxon 500 pro not maximum but 2.0 mm, it's better for blocking, open loop also easy and I think 2.0 mm is already fast pairing with ZJK.

My Forehand loop really shine today, Most of my loop when the ball is easy to kill, gives no time for my friend to react at all, sometimes will slower all wood blades, even it's easy ball to kill, the ball still come back.

It's a very promising blade, I thought I will go back to Acoustic/Violin again LOL
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2012 at 1:55am
Already bought Viscaria FL silver tag 90 gr, surprisingly the handle is a bit bigger than ZJK!!!
The handle has a smooth finish compare to ZJK rough finish.
The Difference between Viscaria and ZJK is about quality:
1. The blade of ZJK is sealed by Butterfly while Viscaria isn't
2. The Arylate Carbon of ZJK is much neater if seen from the side.
ZJK is actually a remade of Viscaria with higher price tag....

Edited by peter79 - 04/07/2012 at 1:55am
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic