Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Skateboarding shoes for TT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skateboarding shoes for TT?
    Posted: 04/08/2012 at 9:28am
I was about to go out to look for some shoes for TT (indoor soccer shoes probably), when it occured to me that my Vans skateboarding shoes might work well.

Thin soles, very grippy, good lateral support, good ankle support... whaddya guys think?

Of course the answer is "try them and find out"... but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with skateboarding shoes for TT, if they have the characteristics one would look for in TT shoes, etc.

I don't mean the really minimal Vans, but rather serious skateboarding shoes. Here's a picture of not quite the exact shoes, but close enough:

Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 10:24am
PROS:
Those with grippy gum rubber soles are good
Usually they provide enough lateral support
Durability is much better than some entry level canvas court shoes

CONS:
Usually skate shoes are a bit heavier weight than court shoes
Your feet will likely sweat more and are not as breathable

One club I play at has concrete floors. My old E's Kosten II model shoes were the best for that floor; the extra cushioning kept my feet and back feeling better. My BTY Energy Force III's on that same concrete floor leads to suffering.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Addicted-to-TT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addicted-to-TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 12:04pm
I like my DC skate shoes for tt. Very grippy amd good support. I agree with above....they don't breath well though.
Sanwei
BH acuda s2
FH te 05

TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 4:11pm

There's a guy who wears his DC's as his TT shoes at the club that I play at.  The only thing I think would be bad is that it's a little heavier and our feet can't really breathe.  He's the only one who wears skate shoes and he also doesn't have any footwork.  So I wonder if anybody wears them with really good footwork?

racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 4:25pm
I find tennis shoes to be a good substitute. Not the generic "tennis shoe," but actual tennis shoes. They have a wider forefoot section on the outside of the foot to minimize the chance of rolling the ankle.

Do not play in running shoes. You can easily twist your ankle in those.
DeIgado View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeIgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 4:45pm
i tried using 6.0's to play TT in and they were way too damn heavy. they grip well sure but its too hard to move quickly in them
Viscaria 86g T05 T05-fx
2059 and rising
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2012 at 5:05pm
the soles are not very grippy, I'd get a regular running nike instead of those.
they are pretty cool to hit the streets however...
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 10:22am
I use skateboarding shoes to play TT just because they're the only shoes I have. Mine wore out after several months and now have a smooth outer sole, the heels are worn in the back so it rubs against plastic while I'm playing, they're heavy, big and although comfortable, all together just no good for TT. I bought a pair of TT shoes and have found myself much happier now. I wouldn't ever advocate for skateboard shoes in TT and from personal experience can say it's a bad idea. 
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2012 at 11:11am
Ok.....I can speak of this subject well because I have spent half my life on a skateboard with tons of different skate type shoes.  

First off, there are so many different types of "Skateboard" shoes.    The ones in the picture above are modern shoes designed for the average "rail flippers, ledge monkeys, and judo kickers".   They are made with total laterial stiffness and very flat contact surface.  They also have high padding in the tongues and ankle area, so they will be slightly heavy.  Comfortable yes.......made for movement....NO. 

But other types of skate shoes would be better, high tops like chucky taylors or the vans skate Hi types because they are more flexible (like the cheap ones mentioned) and offer better feel and not so stiff. 

When I briefly tried using my skate shoes for playing TT.....it did not last long because of the huge possiblility of rolling your ankle with such a sole design.  The shoes were pretty much the same design as the ones in the pic above, just diff model vans.  My Tony T high-tops would of worked better though as any high top skate shoe would be better, even though they are heavy unless they are the chuck tayolor converse or skate-hi vans types (canvas and flexible). 

You would be much better off just getting a cheap $49 pair of NB shoes that are all-round types.  

So unless you are young and have rubber ankles.....totally bail on the skate shoes.  Wink

Karen84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 9:44am
Oh boy,  such shoes look good! Though I am  out of this sport, to tell the truth.
My BF is,  but he's a  newbie, and you know,  simple  vans.

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2023 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by djnelsen djnelsen wrote:

I was about to go out to look for some shoes for TT (indoor soccer shoes probably), when it occured to me that my Vans skateboarding shoes might work well.

Thin soles, very grippy, good lateral support, good ankle support... whaddya guys think?

Of course the answer is "try them and find out"... but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with skateboarding shoes for TT, if they have the characteristics one would look for in TT shoes, etc.

I don't mean the really minimal Vans, but rather serious skateboarding shoes. Here's a picture of not quite the exact shoes, but close enough:

While skateboarding shoes like Vans can provide good grip and lateral support, they may not be specifically designed for table tennis (TT) and may have some limitations. Here are a few points to consider: Cushioning: TT involves quick movements and constant impact on your feet. Skateboarding shoes generally have thin soles to provide better board feel, which may not offer sufficient cushioning for the constant jumping and lateral movements in TT. You may want to ensure that your shoes have adequate cushioning to minimize the risk of foot fatigue or discomfort. Flexibility: TT requires swift footwork and rapid changes in direction. While skateboarding shoes offer good flexibility, they might be too flexible for TT, where a balance of support and flexibility is important. Look for shoes that provide a balance between support and flexibility to assist with your movements on the TT court. Durability: Skateboarding shoes are designed to withstand the wear and tear of skateboarding, which can be quite demanding. While this durability is advantageous, it may make the shoes slightly heavier than specialized TT shoes, which are designed to be lightweight. The additional weight may affect your agility and overall performance. Traction: Good grip is essential in TT to enable quick movements and prevent slipping. Skateboarding shoes typically have grippy outsoles, which can be beneficial on certain indoor surfaces. However, TT shoes often have specialized rubber compounds and patterns on the outsole that are optimized for the specific movements and surfaces in the sport. In conclusion, while skateboarding shoes like Vans may offer some advantages such as grip and lateral support, they may not provide the ideal combination of cushioning, flexibility, and specialized traction that are tailored to the demands of table tennis. If possible, it would be best to try on both your Vans skateboarding shoes and a pair of dedicated indoor soccer or table tennis shoes to compare their comfort and performance before making a final decision.

Edited by pobey - 06/04/2023 at 3:47pm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2023 at 4:02pm
Two thoughts from me:

Most players can play in any shoes, since we appear to eschew any footwork, whatsoever.

I have never had a pair of skateboard shoes, but I unequivocally endorse Vans.

edit to shoes...from shows. Typical bot mistake.

Edited by vanjr - 06/05/2023 at 9:08am
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2023 at 5:03pm
Was the post right above vanjr's written by a bot? It sure does sound like it doesn't it?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2023 at 5:09pm
Searching "Skateboarding vans" lead me to vans.com and I have to say that those SKATE SK8-HI SHOE are appealing:
https://www.vans.com/en-us/shoes-c00081/skate-sk8-hi-shoe-pvn0a5fccbka
Ankle support, grippy and thick enough sole, it has anything we want for table tennis. 

The weight might be an issue for some people.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2023 at 12:05am
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Was the post right above vanjr's written by a bot? It sure does sound like it doesn't it?

Seems like chatgpt
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2023 at 1:36am
Definitely AI generated spam.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2023 at 9:03am

ask mjamja or heavyspin if that post is done by a bot or not

Clearly you haven't been reading any of my posts for the last 10 years. 

Bot on brother...

vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2023 at 9:05am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Seems like chatgpt

Then chatgpt has bought a lot of equipment from colestt.com. But then a bot would know that, right?
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2023 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Definitely AI generated spam.

This must be why i am such a good pediatric pathologist...(AI)

What the ****?

I have been cracking stupid jokes on this forum for years...but then a bot would go undercover like that wouldn't they, er, I...

Edited by vanjr - 06/05/2023 at 9:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic