FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

North American(NA) Olympic Trials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 12:08pm
anyone else having trouble with jumpy video?  I have a 25mbs pipe, and it's still jumpy?!?
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 12:11pm
My stream is running great. Just a little lag on the audio.

Men's final at 1pm for the second spot will be Hinse vs Wang (both won 4-1).
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 12:17pm
funny, mine actually is running better when I run it full screen rather than in a box...

Re the men's final, is that 1:00pm Eastern time?

Edited by Brainstorm69 - 04/21/2012 at 12:23pm
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Brainstorm69 Brainstorm69 wrote:

Re the men's final, is that 1:00pm Eastern time?

Yes, it's about to start.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 2:07pm
Hinse won the men's final. 4-3, Wang tried to come back in the last 2 games after being down to game point but couldn't complete it.
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 2:13pm
now that two canadians have won, and you cant have 3 from one country, what does this mean for tomorrow
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

now that two canadians have won, and you cant have 3 from one country, what does this mean for tomorrow

It should be easy for tomorrow: the highest placed Canadian will get the 3rd spot for teams, while the highest placed American get a spot to play singles.

PS what happened to Chen Hongtao? Who did he lose to today? He was playing well before the qualifiers so I'm surprised by his results...

Edited by ZingyDNA - 04/21/2012 at 4:30pm
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Originally posted by cmetsbeltran15 cmetsbeltran15 wrote:

It should be easy for tomorrow: the highest placed Canadian will get the 3rd spot for teams, while the highest placed American get a spot to play singles.

PS what happened to Chen Hongtao? Who did he lose to today? He was playing well before the qualifiers so I'm surprised by his results...

so, its a round robin of all the players except hinse and ho? or are some not included?
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 4:57pm
Hongtao Chen lost in the quarterfinals of Stage 2 against Timothy Wang.

Stage 3 starts shortly. The 6 remaining players are in 2 round-robin groups of 3, followed by crossover semifinals and final tomorrow. The complete draw is on ittf.com

I'm not sure what's at stake now for the remaining Canadians. Sean O'Neill had mentioned that Canada would go by world ranking for the third player, in order to leave a door open for Wang Zhen if he gets his citizenship soon.

Women's semifinals today at 5:40:
Lily Zhang vs Chris Xu - big match!
Sara Yuen vs Anqi Luo

Women's final tomorrow at 11:40.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 7:00pm
Lily just won the semi - very very tough match - vs Chris Xu. 4-3 11-6 in the 7th... wow!

Good luck in the final vs Anqi Luo. I hope Lily is not too tired.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 7:06pm
Phew, what a thriller that was... The final is tomorrow at 11:40, so Lily should be able to recover. But she mustn't relax too much mentally and feel over-confident, although she's the heavy favorite against Anqi.

Two more rounds of men tonight, and also one round of position matches for the women.

Adam needs to beat Hongtao now to stay alive.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 8:40pm
Adam lost 1-4. It is likely that tomorrow final will be Timothy Wang (who won both of his group matches already) vs Chen Hongtao. A tough one, i am sure...
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

I'm not sure what's at stake now for the remaining Canadians. Sean O'Neill had mentioned that Canada would go by world ranking for the third player, in order to leave a door open for Wang Zhen if he gets his citizenship soon.

That's interesting. If that's the case, why would any Canadian play in Day 3? I mean, even if they win it, they won't be able to play either singles or teams in London...
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:09pm
What was the standings of the men's round robins? I missed them. When do they start tomorrow?
CURRENT BLADE- Xiom Vega Euro

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Hongtao Chen lost in the quarterfinals of Stage 2 against Timothy Wang.

Really surprised. Hongtao is a really great player....
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

What was the standings of the men's round robins? I missed them. When do they start tomorrow?

http://portal.ittf.com/competitions/test/_groups_matches_1.asp?grp=&Event_Type=MSP&Competition_ID=2134

So tomorrow SFs will be

Timothy Wang vs Barney Reed
Chen Hongtao vs Pierre-Luc Theriault

and then (probably) the final between Wang and Chen ...
konnichwakid1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konnichwakid1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 12:43am
Bar

Barn

Barney

Barney

BARNEY

BARNEY!!!!
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 9:10am
Matches to watch today:

10am, Erica Wu vs Judy Hugh - the winner would be 3d player on the US team if Lily Zhang qualifies

10:50am, Timothy Wang vs Barney Reed - only a semifinal, but the winner obtains the last remaining singles spot for London

11:40am, Lily Zhang vs Anqi Luo - final for the last singles spot for the women, as well as for the team qualification

amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 11:59am
Timothy beat Barney and will play singles in the Olympics! Well deserved after a strong tournament.

Coming up now is the women's final between Lily and Anqi. Head-to-head between the two is 11-0 for Lily...
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 12:48pm
What is this Qtar tournament for Olympic qualifying all about? If there is another qualifying tournament wouldn't it be better for Canada to send Wang Zhen there? As he is the strongest player in Canada or North America for that matter.

Edited by jrscatman - 04/22/2012 at 12:53pm
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 1:21pm
Qatar is the final world qualification tournament in mid-May (for players from all continents who haven't qualified yet). Normally there should be only 2 spots per gender available, although more might be added if the team quota hasn't been exhausted yet. Wang Zhen is probably the only one from North America who would have a chance there given the level of the competition.

For Canada, the 2 singles spots have now been determined and will go to Ho and Hinse. I don't think Wang Zhen can sneak in there even if he becomes eligible over the next weeks. And it looks like Canada can just nominate him for the team event (again, assuming he becomes eligible), regardless of whether he plays in Qatar or not. If he's not eligible, the team spot should go to Chen Hongtao since he will be the third-highest Canadian finisher in Cary.

To recap the situation:

men's qualifiers for North America:
Andre Ho
Pierre-Luc Hinse
Timothy Wang

women's qualifiers:
Zhang Mo (as Pan Am champion)
Ariel Hsing
Lily Zhang

Team spots should go to Canadian men and US women, just like in 2008.
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 1:32pm
Congrats to Tim, Ariel, and Lily!  A well deserve opporunity for them to play in!
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 2:51pm
Timothy saves 3 match points and beats Hongtao 14-12 in the 7th! So he's the third outright qualifier for North America, not just because of the 2-player limitation.

I forgot to mention that Erica Wu beat Judy Hugh and should be the third player on the US women's team.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 3:05pm
Hongtao had a bad tournament - I guess couldn't handle the pressure. I guess Hongtao and Pierre Lu c Thierault are both young - so this is probably their first experience at such pressure matches. Hopefully, this experience will better prepare them next Olympics! Although, Hongtao could still make it if they don't find Wang Zhen's passport!

Edited by jrscatman - 04/22/2012 at 3:06pm
Butterfly MPS
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 10:29pm
Confirmation of Team Canada:
"The Canadian team also took shape over the weekend. Andre Ho of British Columbia won the first men’s tournament on Friday, and he was joined by Quebec’s Pierre-Luc Hinse, who beat Wang in the finals on Saturday. If Chinese-born Eugene Wang, who was unable to secure Canadian citizenship to participate in Cary, can get his paperwork through by early July, he will be the third member of the Canadian men’s team."
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/22/2018292/olympics-are-calling.html

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/22/2018292/olympics-are-calling.html#storylink=cpy

chunyenliu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunyenliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2012 at 10:52pm
I have tremendous respect for these athletes trying to qualify for the Olympics.   Either they make it or not, all the hard work put into preparation can also be translated into other aspects in life.   Great job to all.   You are already one of the people who get the the very rare opportunity to try out for the Olympics. 
My free Android app: "Table Tennis Time" at Google Play
Snakefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2012 at 12:50am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Hongtao had a bad tournament - I guess couldn't handle the pressure. I guess Hongtao and Pierre Lu c Thierault are both young - so this is probably their first experience at such pressure matches. Hopefully, this experience will better prepare them next Olympics! Although, Hongtao could still make it if they don't find Wang Zhen's passport!

Not taking anything away from Timothy Wang who fought hard for the win, but I've seen Hongtao play better. One of the commentary guys said earlier in the match that Hongtao had a rubber glueing problem on friday. Something like he had air bubbles & couldn't recover quick enough before the match. And something like he didn't have a spare racket.  Wha???  
Xiom Zetro Quad, fl
FH: Stiga Calibra LT 2.0
BH: Xiom OmegaIV Euro 2.0

DHS PG12,FL
FH: Vega Pro
BH: Calibra Tour M
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2012 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Not taking anything away from Timothy Wang who fought hard for the win, but I've seen Hongtao play better. One of the commentary guys said earlier in the match that Hongtao had a rubber glueing problem on friday. Something like he had air bubbles & couldn't recover quick enough before the match. And something like he didn't have a spare racket.  Wha???  

LOL...that right it was Sean O'Neil - apparently one of the rubbers started to crack and he didn't have a spare racquet.

I don't know what to say....if it's the kids fault or the coaching staff. At the Canadian Olympic trials - someone (can't say who!) gave him a calliper to measure the thickness of the rubbers. Because he was disqualified from 2 international events. Maybe he waiting for someone to give a spare blade!

BTW: The matches I did see - commentary was amazing - very detailed strategy and techniques discussions. Hopefully, they will have the matches available online for viewing. I would watch it again just pick up some pointers from the commentators!
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by chunyenliu chunyenliu wrote:

I have tremendous respect for these athletes trying to qualify for the Olympics.   Either they make it or not, all the hard work put into preparation can also be translated into other aspects in life.   Great job to all.   You are already one of the people who get the the very rare opportunity to try out for the Olympics. 
Well said!!!Clap
Butterfly MPS
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

LOL...that right it was Sean O'Neil - apparently one of the rubbers started to crack and he didn't have a spare racquet.

I don't know what to say....if it's the kids fault or the coaching staff. At the Canadian Olympic trials - someone (can't say who!) gave him a calliper to measure the thickness of the rubbers. Because he was disqualified from 2 international events. Maybe he waiting for someone to give a spare blade!

If that is true ... is he a third-grader? how can you not have a spare paddle identical to yours when going to such a huge tournament as Olympic Trials?? seems improbable to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic