megaspin.net
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

North American(NA) Olympic Trials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: North American(NA) Olympic Trials
    Posted: 04/18/2012 at 2:46am
NA olympic trials is this week. 

Official Website
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2012/April/01/North-American-Olympic-Trials.aspx 

NEWS UPDATES: 

NA Olympic Trials - America's top seed Jun Gao withdrew due to injury. 1st alternate Judy Hugh to join Ariel, Lily, and Erica in Cary, NC.

NA Trials - Player Change. Pierre-Luc Theriault (CAN) replaces "Eugene" Wang Zhen (CAN)

Edited by kenneyy88 - 04/19/2012 at 9:41pm
Mudkipz View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudkipz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 2:48am
Gao Jun was probably USA's best chance to get to the olympics. I guess that gives the youngsters more of a chance though

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 7:56am
I am sorry for Gao Jun.  I just hope she did not withdraw under pressure to give the younger player the chance.  There is a lot of sacrifies to do these things, it's true for all playes, but with older players with family, it's even harder.
I watch Chris Xu practice with the Canadian team and I really admire her for the courage.  Lets face it, she is the best player on the team, but probabbly the least appreciated.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 8:25am
Well, seems like not everybody wants Gao Jun in the Team USA setup.
I'm not sure what the story is, but the non supporters shouldnt go slander or defame.

I'm neutral. And I think it will be kind of Gao Jun still to accompany Team USA and help them in another way, given her experience and lots more that she can offer the sport in America. I believe she has offered a lot already, and very possible more than a lot of us in this forum, that is why I feel we don't have a right to pull her down, unless you did more than her and qualified to judge her.

Hero or not, she deserved to be respected
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 10:49am
Is Eugene Wang (Canada) in this?

Edited by skip3119 - 04/18/2012 at 10:50am
skip3119
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Mudkipz Mudkipz wrote:

Gao Jun was probably USA's best chance to get to the olympics. I guess that gives the youngsters more of a chance though

Ariel and Lily are better than the remaining Canadians (Zhang Mo already has her ticket) and should really qualify, although they may have trouble with Chris Xu's chopping. Also, the qualifying format guarantees that at least 1 US man and 1 US woman will go to London.

Gao Jun is therefore not "needed" for the purpose of US qualifying this time. Her withdrawal makes sense, although it weakens the team (but then again she barely played in Dortmund anyway). Maybe she'll coach Erica Wu in Cary?

Edited by amateur - 04/18/2012 at 10:53am
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 10:53am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Is Eugene Wang (Canada) in this?

Yes!

Here's the link to the event:
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2012/April/01/North-American-Olympic-Trials.aspx
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 12:18pm
Can someone explain to me the process of the trials? I'm a bit confused as to how someone would be chosen to play in the Olympics.  Anybody with the details who's willing to share...that'll be awesome.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by TTeveryday TTeveryday wrote:

Can someone explain to me the process of the trials? I'm a bit confused as to how someone would be chosen to play in the Olympics.  Anybody with the details who's willing to share...that'll be awesome.
There are 3 spots for men and 2 spots for women (Mo Zhang - Canada has 1 spot - PanAm champ)

There is a limit of 2 players per country for singles.

The men will play 3 single elimination tournaments. I think they are seeded by their world rankings.
So they may end up playing their team mates.

Winners from these mini - tournaments go to the Olympics. The team that qualifies 2 players into the singles - can also play the teams in London - so they can take extra player.

Again there is a limit of 2 players per country. So both Canada and USA will be represented. 
Also Bermuda and Greenland are also in this group - but I guess they are not sending players to try and qualify.

Hope this helps
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

There are 3 spots for men and 2 spots for women (Mo Zhang - Canada has 1 spot - PanAm champ)
The men will play 3 single elimination tournaments. I think they are seeded by their world rankings.
Winners from these mini - tournaments go to the Olympics. The team that qualifies 2 players into the singles - can also play the teams in London - so they can take extra player.
Again there is a limit of 2 players per country. So both Canada and USA will be represented. 
Also Bermuda and Greenland are also in this group - but I guess they are not sending players to try and qualify.
Hope this helps

Wait, so if there's 3 for mens and 2 for womens and only 2 players from each country, would that mean that the third qualifier will be the back up? So if the mens from USA took the first 2 places, we will be able to send a USA men's team?

Edited by TTeveryday - 04/18/2012 at 1:02pm
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 2:39pm

Hope this helps

Wait, so if there's 3 for mens and 2 for womens and only 2 players from each country, would that mean that the third qualifier will be the back up? So if the mens from USA took the first 2 places, we will be able to send a USA men's team?

No the team must have three members. If Canada (or USA) take two spots but not three, then their third guy will try to get the third post in May at Final Olympic Qualification in Qatar. And only if he succeeds, there will be a team.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

No the team must have three members. If Canada (or USA) take two spots but not three, then their third guy will try to get the third post in May at Final Olympic Qualification in Qatar. And only if he succeeds, there will be a team.

You're forgetting that there is one guaranteed spot for a team from North America through the continental quota. Whoever gets 2 qualifiers in Cary will also qualify for the team event (most likely Canada for the men and USA for the women). The third player will then be added through the team quota and does not need to go to Qatar. Probably this extra spot will go to the next-highest finisher at these Trials.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 4:03pm
NA Trials - Player Change. Pierre-Luc Theriault (CAN) replaces "Eugene" Wang Zhen (CAN)
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

You're forgetting that there is one guaranteed spot for a team from North America through the continental quota. Whoever gets 2 qualifiers in Cary will also qualify for the team event (most likely Canada for the men and USA for the women). The third player will then be added through the team quota and does not need to go to Qatar. Probably this extra spot will go to the next-highest finisher at these Trials.

Really? I didn't know that... but then it makes sense from the "diversity" POV, which IOC is quite fond of. OK then, thanks for the clarification.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

sucks for Canada, I guess - Eugene was almost a sure shot.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 4:18pm

=======================================

I saw Eugene's name there a few days ago, but now his name is gone.

skip3119
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2012 at 4:37pm

Great news for the US though, gives them a pretty even shot at it now, Eugene was the ace in the hole.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 12:35am
Can Eugene Wang Zhen play in this Qtar tournament Jim T was talking about and try qualifying that route?
Butterfly MPS
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 12:39am
He most likely didn't get citizenship in time for the tournament. 
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 1:05am
Didn't get his passport!
Butterfly MPS
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 1:07am
The draws are out - should be exciting. Ist round is Canada vs USA - after that hopefully it will be all Canada vs Canada....Pierre Luc Hinse & Hong Tao Chen were playing very well. 
Butterfly MPS
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 1:25am

Didn't get his passport!

Yea I was right, From Donn Olsen on about forum. 
I just checked with a senior official here: The Canadian team attempt to have his necessary citizenship declared in time was unsuccessful, thus he is not eligible.

Thanks,
Donn
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 1:34am

Didn't get his passport!

Yea I was right, From Donn Olsen on about forum. 
I just checked with a senior official here: The Canadian team attempt to have his necessary citizenship declared in time was unsuccessful, thus he is not eligible.

Thanks,
Donn

You need two thing to prove citizenship - Citizenship papers and passport. He has citizenship - but passport is only processed once you obtain citizenship - that's what he was waiting for. I guess he's still waiting. 
Butterfly MPS
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 8:11am

Can Eugene Wang Zhen play in this Qtar tournament Jim T was talking about and try qualifying that route?

I suppose he could - but only two spots are available there (unless some extra ones are added as in 2008; but the system works differently this time). So it will be a tough tournament and he'd have to beat people like Gacina, Keinath, Gauzy, Chtchetinine etc.

Also, if 2 Canadian men qualify this weekend, they would clinch the singles spots for themselves. Not sure how exactly the 3rd player for the team would be selected in this scenario.

Edited by amateur - 04/20/2012 at 8:14am
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 10:05am
The stream is up and running:

First match shown is Landers vs Theriault, but they just said they'd then switch to Wang vs Hinse. There are cameras for both tables. Audio commentary by Sean O'Neill and Mike Babuin.

Edited by amateur - 04/20/2012 at 10:08am
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 10:27am
how does it work? first a SE Bracket to determine the first singles player, then another SE bracket all again to determine the second singles player?
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 10:35am
Yes, there'll be basically one qualifier per day. Each day starts with the quarterfinals, then semis, then the final for the qualifying spot. 8 players today, 7 tomorrow, 6 on Sunday.

Good start for the US boys, but Timothy just blew a huge lead in the third game, going from 10-6 to 10-12. Nice rallies.
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 11:00am
Hinse 4-2 over T Wang , any other results out yet?
Toprank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toprank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 11:05am

The draws are out - should be exciting. Ist round is Canada vs USA - after that hopefully it will be all Canada vs Canada. 

Landers beats Theriault. Guess it won't be canada vs. canada. I think Landers is the best USA player...hopefully he can get through early.
CURRENT BLADE- Xiom Vega Euro

FH- Haifu Blue Whale II

BH- Xiom Vega Europe
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2012 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Toprank Toprank wrote:

The draws are out - should be exciting. Ist round is Canada vs USA - after that hopefully it will be all Canada vs Canada. 

Landers beats Theriault. Guess it won't be canada vs. canada. I think Landers is the best USA player...hopefully he can get through early.
I would prefer later!
Butterfly MPS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic