Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koki niwa beats Ma Long!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 9:43am
Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

Well done Koki Niwa! a good weekend for Japan, they're getting some great results in the Spanish Open too.

But I wonder if this spells the end for Ma Long's Olympic Singles hopes...with ZJK and Wang Hao already qualified, will Liu Guoliang risk taking the chance with Ma Long? The Chinese coaches tend to punish players for these kind of losses by declaring them to be flaky or risky, no matter how much Ma Long proves them the other way. Personally I think it would be a travesty if the world's best player was absent from the singles in London.

But respect for Koki Niwa, I hope to see him and the rest of the young Japanese restoring Japan's great history in the game and doing something about China's dominance (which has gone too far for too long, IMHO).

Ma Long can't play in singles, only team if he qualifies.
For Ma Long to play singles, one of the 2 qualified for singles would need to be replace due to injury, which I think will not happen
Sponsored Links

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 9:44am
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 9:56am
Watching parts of the vid, its so hard to tell whether it was just Ma Long being off his game and not focused, or if Koki Niwa was playing with spin variations on the ball and being deceptive, ie. doing flatter hits and mixing that in with spiny topspins. He also seemed to keep the ball very short and low with a lot of backspin on his serve returns when he wasn't stepping around to flick it with his every effective backhand.

Also there is the distinct possibility this was all staged.

Think about it, Ma Long isn't selected, why? He was said to be mentally weak, then what happens, he gets to an important final, not something really important because he did afterall easily qualify on the second go, but he loses to a 17 year old that's never been able to touch the Chinese A team players before, as if to say to everyone, "See, this is why he wasn't selected, he could lose to anybody." Because Koki regularly loses to people like Keinath, Hong Kong's players, lower Korean players, other Japanese players, not even top guys.
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 9:59am
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Robb, no it didn't happen, coz I can't find the video....

I've found Guo Yue's video. Can't find Ma Long's one

I need to go out now, will continue to search later, or hopefully someone else found for us :)

Try this one:
http://bugu.cntv.cn/sports/information/cctv5tiyusaishi/classpage/video/20120421/100717.shtml

Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:07am
Where is that topic from a few days ago where we talked about who is the best, Zhang Jike or Ma Long, I desperately want to post there. Please help LOL
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:11am
I think Ma Long was in a bad form, or bad state of mind.
Keep making silly mistakes and pushing/hitting long.

At the start the commentator said that he has improved mentally over the years and is in a better state of mind. And only lost once in the past 9 months on the international circut - against Zhang Jike.

He did come back in the 4th from 6-10 to level 10-10 though, but he still lost....
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

Where is that topic from a few days ago where we talked about who is the best, Zhang Jike or Ma Long, I desperately want to post there. Please help LOL

Haha, I know what you mean.
Each player has they ups and downs, just sad that Ma Long is qualifing for Teams event, and not singles. I guess his state of mind is not up there, as a lot of people think it is silly with the 2 person rule change etc.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:16am

At the start the commentator said that he has improved mentally over the years and is in a better state of mind. And only lost once in the past 9 months on the international circut - against Zhang Jike.

As we all know, that match was fixed as well. Ma Long is the best player in history, there's no way he can lose to anyone, ever, in any circumstances. He's not allowed to play in the Olympics because he's not human and so much better than everyone else. He should get an honorary gold medal just for being Ma Long, the most dominant athlete in all of sports.
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:16am

Originally posted by Vladovich Vladovich wrote:

I've found it:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48881&PID=612618#612618

Sorry, I had to troll a little bit Tongue

Edited by Vladovich - 04/21/2012 at 10:18am
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

As we all know, that match was fixed as well. Ma Long is the best player in history, there's no way he can lose to anyone, ever, in any circumstances. He's not allowed to play in the Olympics because he's not human and so much better than everyone else. He should get an honorary gold medal just for being Ma Long, the most dominant athlete in all of sports.

Thumbs Up
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:39am
Ma Long was serving too much side-top spin serves, should of have more underspin or no spin serves. His side-top spin serves was easily flicked back.

Ma Long keep hittings into from his BH to Niwa Koki FH. At the end he did win some points when he was attacking Niwa Koki's Body to BH side.

LGL didn't look so happy there
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:41am
can someone explain how this qualifying works? how many match does 1 has to win to qualify? sorry im not familiar  with the system
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

can someone explain how this qualifying works? how many match does 1 has to win to qualify? sorry im not familiar  with the system

There's not a particular number of matches, it depends.

Niwa and Leung were the first to qualify, followed by Ma Long and Ryu in their second attempt. There are a few more spots left, to be decided tomorrow.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:47am

Originally posted by mikepong mikepong wrote:

There's not a particular number of matches, it depends.

Niwa and Leung were the first to qualify, followed by Ma Long and Ryu in their second attempt. There are a few more spots left, to be decided tomorrow.

Ma Long and Ryu will need to play more matches.
7 of the 16 players can qualify. So the chance is high for Ma Long - he just musn't loose more.

Yang Yin was trying to explain how it work in the Ma Long game, she said she is a bit confused too :)
She said something like, 3rd and 4th places this time (Ma and Ryu), will play against the 3rd and 4th places of later/tomorrow and the winners will also qualify, or something like that
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:50am

They already played those matches today and won.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:53am

He did come back in the 4th from 6-10 to level 10-10 though, but he still lost....

i think ma long is still upset for not being booked in the singles rooster

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 10:55am

They already played those matches today and won.

Oops Tongue

I found the draw result:
Yang Yin mentioned a easy way is, the player would need to win 3 games to qualify, if they loose and is knocked out, they will need to win in the next round etc.
A bit complicated, at least Ma Long made it, and China can particpate in the Teams at OG

Edited by ZApenholder - 04/21/2012 at 11:04am
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:04am
so is ma long already qualified? 
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:05am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

i think ma long is still upset for not being booked in the singles rooster

I have the same feeling too

Edited by ZApenholder - 04/21/2012 at 11:06am
KleinesDickesAilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KleinesDickesAilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:07am
I got seasick watching this game.
Kugelblitz
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:07am
Clearly the match is fixed, no way ma long can miss that kind of shot in the second set, leading 3-0 but lost...
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:09am
ok here is my rant; i am tired of hearing you guys make excuses on why ma long lost to koki niwa. the kid won no excuses he was the better player during that match.sometimes its not what you did before. as i remember he defeated two top chinese juniors to win the world junior champs proving he is the best junior in the world right now.he simply kept ma long off guard and outplayed him his serves and service return game was very good during the match.please don't take away anything from the kid he simply out-played ma long.

Edited by patrick1v - 04/21/2012 at 11:11am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by patrick1v patrick1v wrote:

ok here is my rant; i am tired of hearing you guys make excuses on why ma long lost to koki niwa. the kid won no excuses he was the better player during that match.sometimes its not what you did before. as i remember he defeated two top chinese juniors to win the world junior champs proving he is the best junior in the world right now.he simply kept ma long off guard and outplayed him his serves and service return game was very good during the match.please don't take away anything from the kid he simply out-played ma long.

I agree Koki Nawi deserved the win, he played well, even thought Ma Long gave more points away then oppose to was Koki won. He still won.

I think think Ma Long is effected by not being in the Olympic Singles. Teams event you won't need a Ma Long - any body can be the 3rd player and still help China win gold with comfort.

Put yourself in Ma Long's shoe, the victim of the recent 2 player rule change. I'm sure even the best will be effected (given his no1 status now and mistake made over 18 month ago - if no rule change was made, Ma Long was in already).

I think they are just giving Ma Long Olympic experience in Teams event, I would of gone for Xu Xin, so that is a better doubles setup.
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:23am
maybe not participating in the olympics singles put him down?
sa01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sa01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:25am
pg7 sucks big time LOLLOL
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:34am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Clearly the match is fixed, no way ma long can miss that kind of shot in the second set, leading 3-0 but lost...

Like I said above and no one responded to, he was just plain missing shots, impossible for us to know why really, but the simplest explanation is usually the right one, either he was told to lose or was so upset and unfocused due to this basically being meaningless to him since he couldnt win the real title, he didn't care.
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:42am
This kid plays without fear and was not intimidated by Ma long, he is the real deal and he definitely has more pontential than Kenta and mitsutani, he reminds me of the young waldner at 16. He could be a thorn For the Chinese team for years to come. This win is certainly no fluke. He will only get better with more experience. Watch out china.
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

This kid plays without fear and was not intimidated by Ma long, he is the real deal and he definitely has more pontential than Kenta and mitsutani, he reminds me of the young waldner at 16. He could be a thorn For the Chinese team for years to come. This win is certainly no fluke. He will only get better with more experience. Watch out china.

Ma long said after this game that due to the pressure, he did not play at his full capability. He only played at 40 or 50 % of his capability. He got too uptight during the game that he could not execute his shots properly.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:49am
Yang Yin was mentioned her own experience in the Asian qualifiers.
First you just need to be in the top 7, so there is no pressure for getting 1st place like any other tournament,
The opponents are not the best, but are good enough to give you trouble.
It is awkard and different to other tournaments and requires adapting to

And I think Ma Long fallen into that trap

patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2012 at 11:52am
excuses, excuses well if i was playing the #1 player as koki case i would be intimated but the kid is fearless he kept ma long guessing the whole match
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic