Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Footwork advice needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Footwork advice needed!
    Posted: 06/03/2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by swampthing swampthing wrote:

Originally posted by power7 power7 wrote:

He's a righty and considered so-so in Table Tennis. 

Big smile

Plus he is an old man now.
He used to be faster when he was younger
Sponsored Links

swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2012 at 6:58pm

He's a righty and considered so-so in Table Tennis. 

Big smile
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 1:36am

1.  Pivot points -  at the corners of the table you step around the table with the foot near that edge.  So if you're going around the left fh side to return a short ball going off the side of the table, you step around with you left.

2. corner to corner -  most players will take 1 step going from corner to corner.  if the game is really fast pace they just hop from corner to corner.

3.  FH foot position - start with your left foot slightly behind you right.  When you hit hop so that you feet are now parallel.  The next hop you're going to position yourself for the next ball.  You're going to have to decide if it is FH or BH.  Then hop up with your hit.  Then hop to the next position...

you can practice footwork without actually hitting.  just shadow hit while concentrating on keeping the timing of your hops rhythmic.

Very right!  Shadow training can be very helpful!

Footwork really doesn't need to be taught, just try to move from point A to point B as quickly as possible while maintaining your balance enough for a powerful shot, you'll naturally discover the correct footwork.  For example, when you launch a powerful loop drive, you put so much momentum forward that you'll lose your footing if your right foot doesn't move forward to be parallel with your left foot and return to ready position.  Similarly, if you don't cross your left foot over your right to reach a shot wide to your FH, you simply won't be able to launch a powerful shot.  The problem most players face is actually that they just don't have the habit of moving, so when the game starts, they forget to move, and they end up with their feet glued to the ground.

The best way to develop good footwork isn't to focus on which foot should step where when, it's to start moving before every shot during training, try to hit every ball with your FH no matter where you are.  Once you can do it in practice, start doing it during games.  You'll lose a lot in the beginning because your mind will be focused on moving your feet rather than executing the correct stroke, but it'll eventually become a habit and you can just focus on the shot.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 1:20am
Here is an example of siding off the BH side to attack with FH.  He's a righty and considered so-so in Table Tennis.  Just copy him (or mirror him since you're a lefty) for now till you get better.

Edited by power7 - 05/30/2012 at 1:21am
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 8:54am
The feet turn outward because 1) hard to keep a low stance with feet point forward (only traditional martial arts have a stance like that)  2) you don't know if you are going left or right when playing next ball.

Once you are in position feet pointing is not that critical, since on your next hop when you hit the ball, your feet will land with toe pointed forward.

Most attackers play shakehand like penholders and cover the whole table with FH.  These players just slide off the BH side of the table in 1 step and attack with FH drive or loop.  To drill this just stand in the BH corner, step diagonally out and back with your right foot, then left foot follows.  Then attack the ball with your lefthanded FH.  You step back a bit to give yourself room to attack, as ball goes off the table.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 11:28pm
Wow power7, gold!!!!

Pivot points: makes perfect sense.

When I'm hopping to play a forehand, I turn my foot outwards (parallel to the edge of the table) while turning my body?  I think this is what you mean in 3)

Can you describe the footwork when stepping around to play a forehand in the backhand corner?

THANKS!!!
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 10:18pm
1.  Pivot points -  at the corners of the table you step around the table with the foot near that edge.  So if you're going around the left fh side to return a short ball going off the side of the table, you step around with you left.

2. corner to corner -  most players will take 1 step going from corner to corner.  if the game is really fast pace they just hop from corner to corner.

3.  FH foot position - start with your left foot slightly behind you right.  When you hit hop so that you feet are now parallel.  The next hop you're going to position yourself for the next ball.  You're going to have to decide if it is FH or BH.  Then hop up with your hit.  Then hop to the next position...

you can practice footwork without actually hitting.  just shadow hit while concentrating on keeping the timing of your hops rhythmic.

Edited by power7 - 05/30/2012 at 1:16am
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 1:13pm
BUMP!

Just wanted to reiterate interest on this project, and also throw out a few specific questions.

My friend made an interesting observation this week - when I'm moving, my left foot (I'm lefty) tends to point outwards, parallel to the edge of the table almost.

I think this is a big problem - it makes it much harder to move, compared to when my foot is pointed forward.  I'm so glad he pointed this out.  So I've been trying to develop footwork where, when hitting a forehand, as I turn I also turn my foot out (parallel to edge), but when I finish my forehand shot, the foot points forward.  I've seen this in videos but wanted to know if I'm on track here, does this make sense?

Another specific footwork pattern that I'm having problems with, and also a lot of opponents of mine struggle with: I'm a lefty, and I can place a serve wide, wide out into the forehand side of a righty, short, just 4 inches behind the net on the line with underspin - its not over the table, but needs to be taken early out on the side of the table.  Whats the footwork for this?  More generally, what footwork should I use to get in position to play a forehand receive on the line short on the forehand side?  I've been working to take a big step, almost crossing over, which seems to work but curious about this particular pattern.

Finally, I'm curious about the footwork transitioning from forehand to playing a backhand, and vice versa.  This ties into the question above - a lot of players seem to square off more for the backhand, then open up for the forehand with their feet, turning the right foot (for righties) out when playing the forehand, but curious about more details.

My footwork really needs a lot of work.  Especially wide balls give me problems - I make a strong return, but I'm too unstable to play a quality shot after that if the opponent gets it back.  I really look forward to these videos / DVDs.

Edited by chronos - 05/28/2012 at 1:15pm
dici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 7:29am

Originally posted by ttEDGE - William ttEDGE - William wrote:

Last question - what would be your preferred method of delivery in general?

- DVD?
- Web streaming?
- Video download?

web stream/download. I prefer these both together, as there were too many DVDs sitting in my house

ttEDGE - William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 6:44am
Hi garwor. You would have had a free silver membership. The website has only been available to Windows computers but this will soon change. We've got a whole new structure coming and the videos will be playable on macs, ipads, tablets, etc.

The first lot of DVD's/videos in longer format will be coming out around the same time as the new structure is released. If you require any assistance or are having problems playing any videos just contact [email protected] and we'll sort this out for you.
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 4:54am
one question in case you make videos, I'm registered on ttedge site from long time ago, but never was able to look at any video there, i've tried with several players, but it cant play with any. Anybody else has same problem? 
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 2:59am
Great! We did a long filming session yesterday on this. I've just got a few more bits and pieces to film today before I leave to go back to Australia tonight.

Last question - what would be your preferred method of delivery in general?

- DVD?
- Web streaming?
- Video download?
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2012 at 1:50am
Yes, I would be willing to pay for a video that covers proper footwork.

1.  Proper weight transfer and recovery position - balanced position for FH and BH
- I open my right side for looping, but get caught in a bad position if the return is fast to my BH - I am a righty
2.  movement to wide FH and wide BH, do you use shuffle side to side, cross over etc
3.  In and out movement
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
dici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 11:29pm

I'm asking for some help from the MyTT community for a project I'm doing:
  1. Where do you feel your footwork is letting you down? (ie specific movements).
  2. Is it because you don't know what the correct footwork is or just can't do it for physical reasons?
  3. Would you be willing to pay for a DVD / download if it explained every question you had about the correct footwork for every movement in table tennis?

I would really appreciate any feedback you could give.

1. Moving to the left from far FH side lol...I'm right handed

2. Weight transfer, this is the most bothering me. I have been try a few methods in order to mimic xu xin movement or the one should in basic footwork video, but unable to.

3. hm... I don't know right now, since I had to focus on my job career instead of TT at these 3-6 months If I got a job and there is a good TT club over there, then mostly....

Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:25pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 9

Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:21pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 6

Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:20pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 5

Boro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2012 at 9:17pm

Ping Pong Ball Training Fran TT 4

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 4:33pm
RankAmateur,
I agree with you. I regularly do aerobic kickboxing for fitness and sometimes, after TT training, I have some fun by doing TT movements, instead of the boxing movements, on the pedestal punching bag. It's amazing how some basics are the same. Also I feel I'm moving much faster since I do.

As to William's questions:
  1. I move rather fast, but I feel I generally have a problem of incorrect balance at the moment of hitting the ball.
  2. Because I don't know how to do it right.
  3. Yes, but only if explanations were complemented by exercises. I'd appreciate a number of exercises that one can make at home without a table or partner. I'd be willing to pay about $20-$25.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Really looking forward to this project; I'd definitely buy a copy of the videos.

I'll keep everyone posted when we're getting close to release. Will take some time to work through all the footage...

You are so right rank. Many sports overlap in terms of optimal mechanics. Some we spoke about while scripting and filming were the similarities between some of the movements forehand topspin in TT and the throwing motion in discus or hammer throw.
RankAmateur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RankAmateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 2:36pm
I tell you this is so similar to boxing, the whole idea of smooth movement of the feet, both lateral and forward and backward, without crossing the legs or bringing them together, then using the hips to lead the body and generate power with the arms and wrists.  Remarkable how similar some sports can be.  I think I need to dust off my memory from boxing in the 80s if I expect to become a good TT player.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 2:26pm
Really looking forward to this project; I'd definitely buy a copy of the videos.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:55pm
Thanks for giving me your first ever post here curtis! I think (hope) there are many in your situation. It's the detailed explanation of what your options are in different situations (and what choosing each option will mean for your power, movement and recovery) that I've had found is missing. I want to create a clear picture in the viewer's mind about what it looks like. If I can't picture myself doing a stroke or movement then I can't recreate it on the table in a consistent way.

Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Good luck with the footwork project. In my opinion this is the most important skill players must learn.

Over the past week I've been doing a string of interviews with the players and coaches here in Vienna that I'll be making videos, about different skills in TT, of and putting on youtube. A lot on the go at the moment! They almost all mention how correct footwork is the basis for all power, movement, recovery, balance and basically everything else!
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:51pm
1. my main problem is how to move on any side when receiving service, looks like I'm 10 times slower than when playing point. Also, far right movement, especially during service receive.
2. I both don't know proper footwork and could be I'm not fit because of too much sitting at comp.
3. Today knowledge is not free, we all know this. And good advices can be worth more than any blade and rubber. But also is fact it's hard to learn by watching the video, without intense practicing, and understanding your body physics and centers of mass and weight transfer and probably many more things. Still, I think' I'd rather invest some money into knowledge instead of in new average priced blade for example.

Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:43pm

@jrscatman - there are only a few guys in the world who can move like Ma Lin or Ryu Seung Min. I learned that fast movement is much more about correct footwork technique than leg strength or hours of footwork training. The feet moving in the right order with the right weight transfer and some simple points to keep in mind will improve anyone's footwork.

I haven't seen anything on youtube quite like what we're doing so I hope we'll be bringing something new to the table. And I completely understand that many just won't be interested in paying.
William,
Thanks very much - If you could provide the basics that can be utilised by the average club player - I would pay for that. 

Good luck with the footwork project. In my opinion this is the most important skill players must learn. 

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
curtisburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtisburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:29pm
I have spent many hours analyzing footwork on youtube and learned a lot, but I've never had it explained.  From my experience I would agree with you that it is mostly just the right technique, not just ahleticism.  I would like to hear what you learned.  I think it would be helpful to include some footwork analysis in actual matchplay as well as training exercise analysis.  I would pay $20-$25 for a download of 45 min to 1 hour. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by swampthing swampthing wrote:

IMO, The tackiness of the floor surface plays a role too.  My footwork seems better on a floor with more forgiveness than a glossy gym floor that's like fly paper.

Ha! And I'm the opposite swamp. I hate any sort of slipping or gliding. You'll see a thick mash of wet tissue paper next to the table for any match that I'm playing on red mat flooring. I wipe my soles down after every point. Thanks for your feedback.

swampthing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swampthing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:03pm
IMO, The tackiness of the floor surface plays a role too.  My footwork seems better on a floor with more forgiveness than a glossy gym floor that's like fly paper. 

But I don't want to digress too much :)  Thanks for the great post William!
1. Moving to my right is less coordinated.  I have tried scissor stepping on a tread mill at low speed and I can move much better and faster going to my left.
2. Both (currently trying to bring my weight down to help though)
3. Yes

Edited by swampthing - 04/27/2012 at 1:03pm
Xiom Zetro Quad: FH: Hexer HD, BH: Hexer HD
Galaxy K-4: Tibhar Nimbus Medium, Palio Blitz
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 1:02pm

"Heavy left foot" is a common term for certain movements and is a good thing Zingy.

OK, I'd like to know how to make this a good thing for my game LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttEDGE - William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2012 at 12:59pm
"Heavy left foot" is a common term for certain movements and is a good thing Zingy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic