Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LP OX is for chopping or blocking/pushing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LP OX is for chopping or blocking/pushing?
    Posted: 04/28/2012 at 11:03am
I have doubts.
The rubbers LP OX is for chopping or blocking/pushing?
Examples: TSP Curl P1r OX or CNN Pogo OX.

Sponsored Links

GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 11:09am
I was under the impression that the idea was less sponge for more control/reversal. More sponge allows you to add more effect to your shots such as increasing the spin when chopping topspin or even countering spin or producing dead balls.
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

I have doubts.
The rubbers LP OX is for chopping or blocking/pushing?
Blocking/pushing.   You can chop with LP 0X and almost everyone chop blocks with LP 0X.  I hit too especially with 755 0X.

Examples: TSP Curl P1r OX or CNN Pogo OX.
I haven't used a TSP rubber yet,  I am not a chopper.  I haven't heard of anybody using TSP Curl P1r 0X for just blocking or pushing.

I have used CNN Pogo 0X quite  bit and currently have it mounted on a 729 Bomb.   I block, push, and hit with it.  The spin reversal with Pogo 0X on a 729 bomb is pretty good.   It is a good starter setup because it is easier to control and still be effective.

755 0X is also a good starter LP.  It doesn't seem to be as blade dependent as the other 0X LPs that are designed for maximum spin reversal.

nachalnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nachalnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 12:57pm
Definitely blocking/pushing. There are whole bunches of inexpensive chinese rubbers designed for that. Pogo provides a good mix of reversal and control.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 1:43pm
It's easier to get reversal with OX rubbers, but when chopping loops, there is more potential for reversal with a sponged LP. That's why generally you see the guys who play more over the table shots/at the table shots using OX while guys who try to play away from the table defense use sponge. NOT always true, you can be effective either or. Sun Jianfei is a good example, but he uses OX more because of the service return and over the table shots, less because it's great away from the table. That's why he has a carbon blade, so he has some oomph when chopping at distance. 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 1:52pm
OX is great close to the table, but you would need sponge away from the table, i.e., Joo that Korean chopping wildman!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 2:00pm
and for chopping what is the best thikness?
0.5mm?
1.00mm?

thanks!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 2:04pm

0.5mm? 1.00mm? thanks! 

From my limited experience with chopping it seems there are a couple categories most players are looking for  . . . 
1. Pushing/Chopping to scrub off incoming spin and get the ball back on the table
2. Pushing/Chopping to add underspin to win a point

Are you looking more for serve return or defense against spinny stuff or are you trying to do aggressive pushes and big sweeping chops to win points? The former is best with less sponge and less sticky/grippy top sheets, and the later is best with thicker sponge and sticky/grippy top sheet. 

Edited by tommyzai - 04/28/2012 at 2:05pm
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 3:30pm

0.5mm?
1.00mm?

thanks!

The thicker the sponge, the faster you need to swing the bat to provide underspin.  Ox long pips will provide the best reversal with smallest movement, either in chopping or blocking. 
If you are young and athletic then you want to use thicker sponge for your long pips, as you can vary the spin more effectively.  That said, ox long pips are good for a more consistent game as it is slower.  You can still be a very high level chopper with ox, like Sun Jian Fei or Greg Letts.
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2012 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

0.5mm?
1.00mm?

thanks!

The thicker the sponge, the faster you need to swing the bat to provide underspin.  Ox long pips will provide the best reversal with smallest movement, either in chopping or blocking. 
If you are young and athletic then you want to use thicker sponge for your long pips, as you can vary the spin more effectively.  That said, ox long pips are good for a more consistent game as it is slower.  You can still be a very high level chopper with ox, like Sun Jian Fei or Greg Letts.

+1 Thumbs Up difficult to explain it better.
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic