FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

I saw premiere of "Korea" TT movie last night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I saw premiere of "Korea" TT movie last night
    Posted: 05/04/2012 at 8:41pm
Saw "Korea" TT movie last night. A businessman in our club bought tickets for our club members and treated us to endless food and drink afterwards.

This is a great movie and story. If you do not have a good understanding of Korean culture and history, much of this movie will not connect with you or make sense. Not saying no non-Koreans (like me) won't enjoy it, just saying. To Koreans, if you didn't cry during the movie, you weren't Korean. EVERYONE was completely quiet when the North Korean coach confronted the communist party boss rep in the hotel. The TT action is of course not live and computer assisted, but it doesn't stop you from liking it. It was hilarious to me when the super slow motion of the high toss serve was done, you could see the TT ball was a Korean make, Champion *** ball. That cracked me up.

ITTF umpire Michael Meier is a "Bad Guy" in this flick as he faults the Korean twice consecutively late in the match as it is tight. He also dismisses the North Korean coach after the N. Korean let out some very choice words - that was a riot and full of LULZ.

Make no mistake, this movie is about Korean nationalism and a great personal story about individual discoveries and teamwork. It helps to know Koreans and how they are to better enjoy the movie, but it will be a good movie to see with subtitles. There is no way to 100 represent the stuff with a translation.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2012 at 10:32pm
Thanks for the review! I have a feeling it'll take a while until this will be seen in America or Europe (or North Korea...).

Does the film contain any actual (documentary) footage or is it all re-enactment?
benfb View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2012 at 10:33pm
Have you heard at all when this will come to the State?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2012 at 11:20pm
At the end of the movie, there are a whole lot of pics from that time. his movie does a great job of portraying Korean emotions.
mrdoodzki View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrdoodzki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2012 at 11:25pm
is the movie really based on a true story? was looking for chiba international table tennis championship 1991, didnt fine any...
Blade -- Stiga Clipper

FH -- Donic Barracuda

BH -- Friendship 729 FX Supersoft

My EJ senses are Tingling!
...but never willing to spend more than $100 for a single rubber or blade
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2012 at 11:30pm
Youtube has women's singles final but I didn't find any clips from team final...

By the way, i couldn't even find the scores. I only know that surprisingly enough the main contribution in that victory was made NOT by Hyun Jung-Hwa nor by Li Bun Hui, but by Yu Sun Bok who managed to beat both (!!) Den Yaping and Gao Jun.

By the way, a quote from interview with Hyun:

Q. Tell me about Li Bun-hui. What’s her personality like?

A. She wasn’t a particularly adorable person. (laughter) She had been such a prominent player from a young age that she was at the same rank as leaders in the North. She was a little arrogant probably because of her status as a national hero. She always had a Kim Il-sung badge on her uniform. One day I asked her for fun, “What’s that?” Then she blew her top.

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 12:08am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Youtube has women's singles final but I didn't find any clips from team final...

Thanks to our friends at Reflex Sports...:
http://www.tabletennisvideocentral.com/world-championships/1991-chiba-japan/player/20/115

Women's final from 56'25 to 68'45.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 12:32am
Yeah, I just watched that, LOL.

Apparently, first Yu Sun Bok (715) beat Den Yaping, then Hyun (714) beat Gao Jun, then Hyun and 713 (Li Bun Hui ??) lost the doubles, then Deng defeated Hyun 2-0 and finally Yu beat Gao Jun 2-0 in two very close games. Must have been extremely nerve-wracking match...
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 12:37am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Thanks to our friends at Reflex Sports...:
http://www.tabletennisvideocentral.com/world-championships/1991-chiba-japan/player/20/115

Women's final from 56'25 to 68'45.

Then I watched the men's final - for the love of God I cannot figure out how Kalinic managed to be such a high-rated player, he plays so awkwardly... but then again, video is not the best player-rating tool as we all know. The guy took a game off Appelgren with that technique...
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 6:23am
Korean movies are often very emotional, you don't need to be Korean, just understanding
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 6:26am

Or empathic...

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2012 at 6:47am
^ :)
berkeleydoctor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berkeleydoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 3:28am
i know mike meier! i worked with him at NCTTA when we streamed the NCTTA 2012 nationals, i'm excited for the movie to get translated for the states
Viscaria
Adidas P7 max
Tenergy 25 FX 2.1
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 3:26pm

Then I watched the men's final - for the love of God I cannot figure out how Kalinic managed to be such a high-rated player, he plays so awkwardly... but then again, video is not the best player-rating tool as we all know. The guy took a game off Appelgren with that technique...

Kalinic beat Steffen Fetzner during a key match in the team competition that year.  His penhold blocks and pushes really throw off his opponents. 
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Kalinic beat Steffen Fetzner during a key match in the team competition that year.  His penhold blocks and pushes really throw off his opponents. 

Yeah, I saw that too. He is such a gigantic guy and playing with a penhold grip must have been pretty uncomfortable for him - it certainly was (for me) rather uncomfortable to watch him Big smile
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by berkeleydoctor berkeleydoctor wrote:

i'm excited for the movie to get translated for the states

Somehow I don't see that happening, do you have other info? I'm looking forward to seeing this on a DVD with Chinese subtitles imported from Hong Kong Confused
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Saw "Korea" TT movie last night. A businessman in our club bought tickets for our club members and treated us to endless food and drink afterwards.

Can you send me a copy when the DVD/blu ray come out?
Rating breakdown :
Serve:400,FH:400, BH:500,Footwork:1000,Equipment:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73mrC1mSByA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgFPhC3nLs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3gdCtKkaow
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 6:59pm
BH-Man,
The one you saw, was there any subtitles?
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

BH-Man,

Why would they have subtitles showing a Korean movie in Korea? Big smile
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 7:23pm

BH-Man,

Why would they have subtitles showing a Korean movie in Korea? Big smile

just trying my luck Smile
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 10:51pm
Is Kalinic the guy who is always with Alexander Karakasevic in recent years whenever Karakasevic competes?

(Giving advice to Karakasevic in-between games - acting like a coach but probably is a close friend.)

Edited by skip3119 - 05/07/2012 at 11:10pm
skip3119
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Is Kalinic the guy who is always with Alexander Karakasevic in recent years whenever Karakasevic competes?

I am not sure what you mean - but here is Kalinic playing Waldner (I am sure you will recognize Waldner Big smile) in that team final of WTTC 1991.

rodewan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodewan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 11:41pm
hey guys, here's the trailer with english subs as well as a teaser:
http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/04/full-trailer-for-korean-ping-pong-drama-as-one.php .
I really hope we can at least torrent it or something here soon. BH-Man its awesome that your club members were able to go and see it.  I wonder if its showing in any theaters in the Washington DC area.  보고 싶어~. If anybody around here wants to go see it and we find a place to watch I'd be more than down.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 10:43am
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Can you send me a copy when the DVD/blu ray come out?

Uh, Sure, don't exactly go to the DVD stores for movies, but if you remind me in a few months, sure.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 10:45am

BH-Man,

I think only when Chinese or japanese was spoken only briefly, but if this movie comes out on DVD, it will likely have subtitle options.
amateur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 9:55pm
Globe999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Globe999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 10:19pm
If you have seen the movie, what kind of rating would you give it?
G, PG, PG-13, R.
Is parental guidence suggested?  Can I take young kids to see it?
power7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote power7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 10:43pm
Definitely xxx or nc-17 rating.  Politics is worst than sex or violence in movies.  

I'd recommend the classic "Old Boys" for children.  just kidding.

I'd be surprised if this film has a sex scene or inappropriate violence.  

Given how Korean drama are structured there will be 1 hospital scene, 1 misunderstanding scene, 1 random crying scene, 1 self sacrifice scene.  Everyone will have perfect hair and make up all the time.

I will be getting ticket when it opens in my market, even though i know the ending already.
DHS PG-7, H3 Neo, 729-5

Butterfly Power-7, Red TG2 Neo 39degree, Black Donic Bluefire M1
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 11:25pm
Globe999, power7 pretty much got it down. In Korea, it would be best if parents were along and in USA it would depend on how it gets translated and subtitled whether it would be a PG movie or not.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2012 at 12:44am

ITTF umpire Michael Meier is a "Bad Guy" in this flick as he faults the Korean twice consecutively late in the match as it is tight. He also dismisses the North Korean coach after the N. Korean let out some very choice words - that was a riot and full of LULZ.

By the way, I was watching it and I thought to myself - how can that be? Korean players serve three points in a row which is impossible...

That's when I realized how completely I have switched my brain to the 11-points format Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic