Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xiom Stradivarius Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xiom Stradivarius Questions
    Posted: 05/06/2012 at 11:52pm
I began using this blade about 6 moths ago, but today smacked the table a little too hard trying to go for an aggressive opening. I didn't damage anything, but figured I'd look for a more appropriate spare. This blade is not available in lots of places any more and not being an EJ, I really don't know any information about what is going on with this blade, so I figured I'd ask my forum EJ maniacs :)

Here is what I know. The blade has different models. I have 2 blades, both are FLARED handles, but the original one I got has a thinner "butterfly" copy of a handle, while the other handle is thicker and feel slightly bigger, although I didn't measure. Also the original handle has black markings on it, while the other one with the thicker handle has some kind of a red plastic imprint in it.

I got the blade with the bigger handle right here from MyTableTennis.com, but don't know which models it is year wise. I'm looking for the one with the thin handle like the one I already heave, but not sure what to look for.

I also wanted to ask if anyone had any insight in terms of why this blade is not around any more and whether there is a replacement for it.  ( I am asking about XIOM replacement of it, not another brand ). Seems lots of shops have it out of stock and I am just not familiar with why that is so.

I am trying to find out more so I can find a good spare ( or maybe buy a few spares ) so that I don't have to switch to something else if I break it.

Back to table tennis...
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:12am
Xiom for awhile there was changing and dropping their line of blades every year, so a bunch of stuff they made about the time the original Strad came out is impossible to find.  The original Strad was only sold for a year or two, and then they came out with a different version.  I believe the main difference was shape of the head (the older one is more egg shaped) and the handle size.  The shape of the head, including the size of the wings, is pretty important for how the thing will play.  I cannot remember which one is the more recent version of the Strad, which I think may be the only one you can still get.  Unfortunately that is the most important thing you need to know right now.  Alex Li may be able to help.   My memory is that he has not been selling Xiom for a long time, and I am guessing that the one he has now is not the one you are looking for.  You may find the older version very hard to find.    

Edited by Baal - 05/07/2012 at 12:13am
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:16am
Thanks Baal for the explanation.

I am even wondering if it is worth while to look into something similar. There is something about this blade that I really like - can't really explain. Maybe someone would have an idea what plays the same. I guess I should note that I am interested in Butterfly blades. Never really had a heart for them.

I guess its good to find out which blade is of which model.
Back to table tennis...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:20am
Try here.  He may have the original (2008) and the newer (2010) versions.  This the shop owned by Nexy, who often posts here about his own line of blades (but he also sells Xiom).  He will certainly be able to tell you which one you have and maybe he might be able to help you find what you are looking for.

http://www.nexy.com/shop/step0.php?b_code=B20091201071556&c_code=C20091202015028

Edited by Baal - 05/07/2012 at 12:21am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:22am
I like the Strad too, but I prefer the Butterfly Viscaria if you can find one of those.  Not so easy at the moment.  They have similar construction, but the Viscaria just feels better to me.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:30am
Ok, I can tell you a little more.  The newer (2010) version has a symbol that looks like a shield on the blade, and beneath the shield you will find the word Novus.  The 2008 version has a more triangular symbol on the blade face and you will not find the word Novus.  The blades have a different kind of carbon along with the aramid.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:37am
Thanks Baal.

Here is what I have - I can take pics but basically. I have no words on the handles - no Novus. I have a simple Stradivarius Xiom on the handle on one side with a red mark, but on the back side, one blade has a plastic red mark embedded, and the other blade has a Shield and a T.

The one with a Shield and a T is JTTAA marked. The heads of the blades are identical, but one handle is slighly thicker. I think I might just sand the thicker handles down a bit. But Even the flare section is smaller on the blade with the bigger handle.
Back to table tennis...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:45am
The one with the shield and the T is the newer one (2010).  The older one (2008) has a red symbol on the handle. The newer one will say Novus on the blade itself (under the rubber).  Nexy appears to still sell both.  
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 12:48am
I have to glue new rubbers, so I'll take a look what is written on there. I think I'll take pictures too.

One thing I notice is that the heads of the blade are identical. Didn't this blade get remodeled some time to have a different shape? Or was that prior to 2008?
Back to table tennis...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 1:02am
I thought there was a change in head shape too, but I am probably wrong.  It could be that it was all the other blades they discontinued with egg-shaped heads.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2012 at 10:59am
I needed to replace rubbers on my blade, so I took the picture of both. Funny thing is that I could not tell the difference in the size of the head of the blades until I tried to glue the spare blade's rubbers on my main one. Now I could see the "egg" shape difference in the head of the blade of the older model.

Edited by Leshxa - 05/09/2012 at 11:00am
Back to table tennis...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2012 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I like the Strad too, but I prefer the Butterfly Viscaria if you can find one of those.  Not so easy at the moment.  They have similar construction, but the Viscaria just feels better to me.
+1.  I only play briefly with strad, but I think they are similar, with Strad being a little stiffer.  M Maze maybe even closer to Strad, and easier to find than Viscaria.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 3:23am
Yes, the difference in head shape is pretty subtle, and they had some engineering explanation for why this was supposed to be the Next Big Thing.  I also think the wings come down a bit further down the handle on the older one, at least that is the impression I got from looking at the Xiom website about four years ago.  It must not have been All That because later they dropped those designs.  It is also possible that the carbon in the carbon-aramid mesh is a little different in the newer version -- although the stuff they call Novus Carbon may be just clever marketing.

Having said all that, Xiom makes a high quality blade, fantastic fit and finish, and for less money than Butterfly.  Very comfortable handles IMHO.  Some of their stuff is insanely fast, though.  I once tried something called an Axelo and it was unplayable it was so fast (Off++) -- and the Viscaria I am used to is not slow.  Same thing with something they called a Carbon-Control, which was merely Off+.    

Edited by Baal - 05/10/2012 at 3:24am
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 9:04am
Baal,

Very thorough explanation. You seem to have all the insight on the topic. Thank you! Clap

I very much like the Strad and since I am biased against Butterfly because of their price gouging, I am looking only at Xiom for the blades. Their stuff is fast, but Strad really complements my game. So far, I have no complains regarding it other than inability to find a spare, or actually finding a spare that is of different year and hence having a slightly different feel. I'm not too concerned because it is a spare, but that is only because I still have the main blade intact. If I break it, this will be a whole other story.

I will document this knowledge regarding the Strad on my blog soon. Otherwise this post will get lost very quickly on this forum.

Thank you again!

Alex
Back to table tennis...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 11:23am
Again, check with Nexy to see if he has an old one left.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic