megaspin.net
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

an old interview with Liu Guoliang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: an old interview with Liu Guoliang
    Posted: 05/07/2012 at 11:57am
Found this little gem:

http://www.masatenisi.org/english/roportaj5.htm

I have to say the Chinese team is very lucky to have someone with such an analytical frame of mind  as a coach. His insights on serves, or comparative analysis of himselv vs Kong vs Wang Lichin are very interesting.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 2:03pm
I agree with you, and its not just LGL, a lot of the coachs in China are all ex champions (team or individual). So champion is teaching a champion. It is like a good master passing all his knowledge to his student.

I really enjoy listening to LGL speak, his words have so much wisdom and detail. What he says in 1 min is more than what a normal coach outside of China will share in like 10 mins.

Some times I managed to hear LGL coach his players in between sets/game break. His words, expression, body movement is just world class. Compared to some other countries where the coach might not even say anything or the player is not even looking at the coach.

something for you to read-
http://tabletennista.com/2012/5/liu-guoliang-as-a-successful-coach/
http://tabletennista.com/2012/5/liu-guoliang-as-a-brilliant-player/

Edited by ZApenholder - 05/07/2012 at 2:11pm
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
raphyelrosby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raphyelrosby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2012 at 2:14pm
Excellent Link....Thanks!!
Xiom Hayabusa ZX, Sigma II pro on FH, Vega Elite BH.

rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 1:36am
good stuff but nothing extraordinary about it... if same thing was said from an european player or coach it would be consider normal but because its a chinese he suddenly is a master, same old stuff :)

Edited by rui pedro81 - 05/08/2012 at 1:37am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 3:49am
Because he is head coach of a winning team.
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 9:19am
Good stuff. Thanks

Also Zapenholder's links offer some insight as well. 
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 9:29am
Yes, it is good stuff, only good stuff if you like it Wink

I'll continue to post any good stuff I find from the East, and hopefully they come in English already.
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by rui pedro81 rui pedro81 wrote:

good stuff but nothing extraordinary about it... if same thing was said from an european player or coach it would be consider normal but because its a chinese he suddenly is a master, same old stuff :)

Do you have a link to an interview of, say, Jorg Rosskopf or Mario Amizic, that discusses comparative strengths of Boll vs Ovtcharov vs Suss, etc in similar detail as in the above link?
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Do you have a link to an interview of, say, Jorg Rosskopf or Mario Amizic, that discusses comparative strengths of Boll vs Ovtcharov vs Suss, etc in similar detail as in the above link?

lol, nice one VVK
this is quote/comeback of the month
you rock Thumbs Up
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by ZApenholder ZApenholder wrote:

Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

lol, nice one VVK
this is quote/comeback of the month
you rock Thumbs Up

lol uaauuu really unbelivable comeback!! just truly amazing.... really? thats the best u can do? first off,  lets say i dont have any of those links, what exactly does that prove for u? that there isnt any stuff from them saying stuff like liu guliong did? and if there isnt, does that mean that they have the knowledge simliar to liu? maybe they need to start posting stuff around the net to prove to you that they actually know a few things about table tennis. secondly all u needed to do was watch some matches commented by richard prause all very much in detail of techniques and strengths of players, but obviously u wouldnt praise such a thing because hes not chinese and therefor what he says its useless... or maybe u guys are just too good to watch these lower level players and coaches? alright guys, cant wait for another super duper comeback :) its time to aim for the comeback of the month!! Wink
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 12:42pm
Are you accusing us of racism? or are you being racist yourself in using such an example?
(I've seen a few of your post that hints racism, just this thread alone there is two)

but because its a chinese he suddenly is a master
but obviously u wouldnt praise such a thing because hes not chinese

Are you racist?

Coming back to Table Tennis
LGL in comparison is the Head Coach of a winning team. It has nothing to do with race.
We don't even need to talk about his personal stats relating to the little amount of things he knows about table tennis.

Edited by ZApenholder - 05/08/2012 at 12:58pm
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 1:21pm
Let's keep this civil, peeps.
US1260.RC1087 . 2011 maine state champ CLASS B . virtuosoL.tinARC<
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 2:00pm

Are you accusing us of racism? or are you being racist yourself in using such an example?
(I've seen a few of your post that hints racism, just this thread alone there is two)

Are you racist?

I don't think he's being racist in his posts in this thread. He's just pointing out what he feels is a tendency for some to idolize Chinese players and coaches alike to the point that everything they say is regarded as gold but more specifically more wise and correct than the insights and teachings of non-Chinese coaches.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Are you racist?

I don't think he's being racist in his posts in this thread. He's just pointing out what he feels is a tendency for some to idolize Chinese players and coaches alike to the point that everything they say is regarded as gold but more specifically more wise and correct than the insights and teachings of non-Chinese coaches.

Hm makes sense.

Well, this thread is about what LGL shared. And if we feel it is useful, we can use it, if not than you move on to the next topic - imo. Really don't need to compare how people idolize Chinese coaches vs non-Chinese. Of course every one has the right to disagree and comment, but why can't just start another thread with the comparison or Idolizing or a new post about what other coaches shares, and we can learn from them too.
The purpose of this post is to share the essence of TT. I am sure the intention is good hearted and not some Chinese propaganda.

I personally do struggle to find interviews or news articles from other coaches other than Chinese.
And I would likely want to listen to somebody with reputation and has practically achieved something (ie world champion or gold medal or coach with results). That is just me. So I don't mind if it is in Chinese or English or any other language. I can just use Google Translate and learn the essence

Edited by ZApenholder - 05/08/2012 at 2:47pm
President & Head Coach
Tony's Table Tennis
(Shop, Academy, Agency)
Yasaka Sponsored Coach
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 11:11pm
Look, it doesn't matter if he is Chinese or Martian, LGL was one of the all-time great players, and reading how he approaches things and sizes up his opponents (including WLQ and KLH as well as Waldner) is interesting if you really like table tennis. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Are you racist?

Trust me, I would be equally interested in reading a similar interview from, say, Jorgen Persson!  Or Schlager or Gatien.  Or WLQ.  These guys are all interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic