Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yasaka Galaxya Blade review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Galaxya Blade review
    Posted: 05/24/2012 at 8:48pm
received this 7 ply all wood test blade from yasaka-japan through the kindness of pingpongonline.com . i specifically asked for this blade since this is one of their newest blades that are coming out this june. 

At first look its a high quality Swedish made blade from Yasaka. The handle needed a few sanding to make it a lil smoother but it wasnt a problem. The blade head has a rounded shaped and its bigger than the YEO in which i measured both blade heads. The Galaxya's blade head is longer by about 2mm. 

Specs:

Plies: 7 (limba outplies? ayous inner?)
if this is limba then its a bit different kind of limba because the regular limba wood that i know have longer fibers than this in this blade.
Weight: 92 grams
Size: 151 x 157mm
Thickness: 5.4-5.6mm

Test rubbers: Yasaka Rakza 9 & 7, DHS Hurricane 3 neo

The blade is a well balanced blade and is not head heavy even with one chinese rubber on one side. The Rakza 9 was a bit heavy but there was still blade balance. I combined R7 + Neo H3 and R9 + R7 on this blade. On the initial bounce test on the wood, the blade produces a somewhat low pitch sound making me suspect that this is not a super fast blade adding to the low height the ball is bouncing.

Yasaka advertises this as a power hitting and attacking blade my view is somewhat diferent as I will explain later in my post. Using both the R7 and R9 when doing drives for both fh & bh, I was seeing the ball especially on the R9 to be a bit slow. The R7 was doing above average speed, well its fast enough for this blade but not blazingly fast. The R9 however seemed not suited for the Galaxya and I dont know why. On the Galaxya the R7 was faster than the R9 but on other blades the R9 is faster than the R7. I would rather see the Galaxya as a controlled looping blade. Even with the 7 ply construction, i would say there is more control than speed. The high dwell time of the blade due to its medium soft outer plies when combined with the DHS H3 neo or any other hard chinese blades works in wonders on spinny loops. It is a very good looping blade as well as a blocking blade. I would rate it as average on power shots like smashing & counter driving because of its medium speed, instead of being an OFF blade i would say its Off- maybe because of the thinner blade construction that it needs a lil more speed. 

In comparison to other blades I would rate the Galaxya as:

Speed
Galaxya < Clipper, Xiom Solo, DHS PG7, YEO
Galaxya > Peter Korbel blade
Galaxya = OC (no CR)

Control 
Galaxya > Clipper, Solo, PG7 and YEO
Galaxya = Korbel & OC

This blade is highly recommended to controlled loopers or those who loves doing slow but very spinny loops and can be considered as a very good all-around blade. This blade is made close to the table attacking. Excellent for developing and intermediate level of players. I think players who use attacking or blocking LP on one side and inverted on the other side would also love this blade.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2012 at 8:58pm
Looks like a thinned Clipper with black plies instead of red
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2012 at 9:04pm
i have yet to check what outer plies it has because it doesnt look like a limba. its fibers are smaller and there are a lot more lines in the wood grain compared to a limba.

any wood experts can identify the plies please?
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2012 at 9:54pm
yuuuuuuuuummmmmmy   Nutella   Tongue

Nice.....someone finally has this blade and can tell us about it.   Yogi....what rubbers are you going to test on it first?   Hopefully something like P5 or what your used to so you can relate the blade performance and feel to others you use/test.   Then after that...put the Rakza 9 on there for a test drive.   

Is this blade a composite?   Cant tell if I see some blue fibers in the side view shot. 

Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2012 at 10:42pm
Not composite.
It's  a 7 ply all-wood blade.  Would be intersting to see how it compares to other 7 ply all-wood blades like the Clipper, PG7, TB 7wood, etc
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2012 at 10:48pm
Yes, I want to know how it compares to the PG7. Waiting !!!!!
Shifter
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 12:26am
nice 1 sir, i waiting for the review and how it compares with other 7 ply blades specially the clipper.
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 3:00am
rakza 7 and rakza 9 as test rubbers

ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 10:15am
You sure have a lot of yummy things on your table there
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Looks like a thinned Clipper with black plies instead of red

Or a galaxy M6 LOLLOL
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 10:23am
updated with reviews

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 10:39am
We are waiting !!!
Shifter
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

We are waiting !!!

its already updated with reviews kindly check again hehee LOL

Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

updated with reviews

Thanks for the review. How's it compare to the YES?
igszoctan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igszoctan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

updated with reviews

Thanks for the review. How's it compare to the YES?

+1
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 3:16pm
Why would you compare a 5.5mm blade with soft outer layer to the 6.2mm YES with hard outer layer? The speeds would be far different.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 4:57pm
yogi_bear, I don't get it, you say the blade is 151x155 and 5.4-5.6 thick ? I see it suppose to be 150x157 and 6.3 thick.
Shifter
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 8:18pm

yogi_bear, I don't get it, you say the blade is 151x155 and 5.4-5.6 thick ? I see it suppose to be 150x157 and 6.3 thick.

the one i measured was 151 x 155 and has a longer blade than the yeo in the store. i have a 6+mm blade in the house its definitely thinner (galaxya). i think ill get a photo of it later today

The Yasaka ExTRA special blade is faster by a wide margin than the Galaxya although it is a a thin blade too

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2012 at 9:00pm
yogi_ bear , I don't think you know what you'er talken. about !!!!
Shifter
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 9:23am

yogi_ bear , I don't think you know what you'er talken. about !!!!

i stand corrected. the other measurement was for the YEO and not the galaxya. the galaxya was 157mm long. though im gonna post a pic tomorrow showing that the thickness of the galaxya is really less than 6mm. sorry for the confusion i was a bit tired yesterday when i posted this

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2012 at 8:03pm
this are the 2 pics taken comparing the thickness of the galaxya and another 7 ply all wood blade of mine that is similar to the clipper wood and has a thickness of about 6.4 to 6.5. notice of the difference in thickness

W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2013 at 9:15pm
yogi_bear, you are right. Galaxya is a very thin 7ply. Tabletennis11.com told me that it is 5.8 mm. No wonder it is slow.
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 11:13am
Could someone tell me why Galaxya is so heavy (~92 g)? It is only 5.8 mm, so thin that it should be lighter. What special material/wood is used to make it heavy?

Thanks.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2013 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

Could someone tell me why Galaxya is so heavy (~92 g)? It is only 5.8 mm, so thin that it should be lighter. What special material/wood is used to make it heavy?

Thanks.

Sounds like you got one on the heavy end of what is available.  I recall sourcing one here in the US with a ST that was 84g, which might be on the bottom of the possible available weight. 

W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2013 at 12:47pm
Is Galaxya really a 7ply? I could only see 5. Or the top layers are so thin that they are not visible.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2013 at 4:57am
it is a 7 ply blade. the top ply looks liek a single ply but its actually 2

barnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2014 at 6:08am
What is the hardness Yogi? Medium-soft, medium? Thanks
Yasaka Silver All Wood, ST
FH - Rhyzm max
BH - Tenergy 05 max
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2014 at 8:46am
medium stiff

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2015 at 8:39pm
did you ever figure out what wood the outer layers are?
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2015 at 11:53am
Thanks yogi for your wonderful review. That is a nice looking blade and reminds me of a slower version of the Rutis blade. Those thin attacking blades pair very nice with Chinese rubbers for great looping at the table. Now they have the Carbon Galaxya for more power.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic