tabletennis11.com

New Poly ball review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

A ball seam could then come of a bat spinning at an awkward angle but land on the table with the seammaterial at largest distance from the axis of rotation ; from centrifugal effect.
This makes the angular momentum the same but with less rotation per second the spin will carry further ; just as it carries far with a frisbee ring with lots of angular momentum for relatively low spin.

Thanks for this input!

Regardless of where the ball is contacted relative to the seam, I suspect with enough revolutions per second (enough spin) across the trajectory of the shot, that the seems axis would find some sort of equilibrium.

Now if someone would just make a line around the seam with a black permanent marker and do some slow motion looping, we could test this idea!

p.s.
Could the weight distribution of traditional balls along the seam also better explain the knuckle ball/ wobbly / no spin effect from certain serves and LP shots.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sponsored Links

ttcyfi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcyfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 8:54am
I have a feeling that if the new balls end up having such a radical infleunce on regular playing habits (spin, curve etc.), the professional players themselves will take up issue with this. Banning speed glue is one thing- the game wasn't altered too much and many players did not speed glue. But this reverts years of training. Players will take up issue with this and if enough professional players say something, then it's not like they will defact to the regular balls but they will be forced to make changes.
GO MUSTANGS!
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 9:06am
Looks like they are just finding ways to give non-Chinese players a chance to be world #1 as well. Boll this should help your cause.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 9:11am
all that changes can do is favor some Chinese and harm some other Chinese... Tongue
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 9:22am

Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

all that changes can do is favor some Chinese and harm some other Chinese... Tongue

LOL, you are 110% right LOL

Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by ttcyfi ttcyfi wrote:

Banning speed glue is one thing- the game wasn't altered too much and many players did not speed glue.

At the recreational, and some club levels, no. At some league and professional levels, banning speedglue had a noticeable impact.

Quote But this reverts years of training. Players will take up issue with this and if enough professional players say something, then it's not like they will defact to the regular balls but they will be forced to make changes.

I'm pretty sure that player opinion, whether it be that of a recreational consumer, seasoned club member or even a professional, has little to no bearing on the ITTF's adoption of new rules.

For example:

Low friction LP's were banned, although very few (if any) top 100 players used them. The outcry from the tens of thousands of low-friction LP players and even a protest from a national association did nothing to overturn the ban. It simply meant that consumers went on a spending spree to try and find a suitable replacement.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

I'm pretty sure that player opinion, whether it be that of a recreational consumer, seasoned club member or even a professional, has little to no bearing on the ITTF's adoption of new rules.

For example:

Low friction LP's were banned, although very few (if any) top 100 players used them. The outcry from the tens of thousands of low-friction LP players and even a protest from a national association did nothing to overturn the ban. It simply meant that consumers went on a spending spree to try and find a suitable replacement.

Yes well said Clap They can pretty much do what they want, and don't answer to anyone. Since they elect their own new board members, it's not likely to change any thing soon either.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 2:14pm
Plastic balls are sure to develope more true aphletes in the sport....

Obviously, you can not compensate for the spin deficit just through using a new rubber material.
YOU will have to apply much harder physical exertion when looping to put sufficient spin on the plastic ball.
Boys&girls with a massive muscle, full of physical vigour will dominate the sport throughout, from the top to the basement playing level.   
Looking forward to seeing this generation of "sturdy" players in next five years.

Lazy legged. flaccid body guys should seek to improve their physical fitness, I guess.

Edited by igorponger - 05/29/2012 at 2:49pm
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Plastic balls are sure to develope more true aphletes in the sport....

Obviously, you can not compensate for the spin deficit just through using a new rubber material.
YOU will have to apply much harder physical exertion when looping to put sufficient spin on the plastic ball.
Boys&girls with a massive muscle, full of physical vigour will dominate the sport throughout..

Looking forward to seeing this generation of sturdy players in next five years.

I agree with you, but only to a certain extent.  This was the original intent of the 40mm ball - to use more athleticism rather than just tricky serves and third ball attacks.  However, the manufacturers compensated by creating faster, spinnier rubbers.  It is inevitable that technology will catch up.  I can't wait to see what Butterfly has in store for us.  They never cease to amaze from a marketing standpoint (not from a price standpoint Smile)  But yes, not just strong athletes will dominate but also those that have explosive movements as well.
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 3:25pm
It's hard to believe that the presence of a seam has a big impact on spin.

If it did, then the ball would behave very differently depending on the orientation of the ball when you hit it. How could you achieve any consistency with spinny shots?

The baseball analogy is poor, as the seams on a baseball are distributed more or less evenly across the surface of the sphere. Far different from a simple equatorial seam like a TT ball. Apples and oranges.

Even if the ball corrected itself such that the axis of spin is always in a constant relationship with the axis of the seam (which it doesn't!), some shots would reach this state sooner than others, depending on the axis the ball started at.

I just don't buy it.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 3:31pm
igorponger, what a total load of rubbish, most of the top table tennis pro players weigh 70kg or less and are a very small build and small amounts of muscle compared to the average man. Never read anything so ridiculous on here before. You don't see many people that are heavily muscled being able to play table tennis to a high level and you never will.

Man A with an arm that weighs half that of Man B will always be faster and make more spin while hitting the ball harder

Edited by bluebucket - 05/29/2012 at 3:34pm
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by djnelsen djnelsen wrote:

Two possibilities:
1) the seam does have a big impact on spin AND it really doesn't matter much what orientation it has. I could how this could be possible. With parallel orientation you have a seam against the air through 360 degrees of spin and at the fastest moving surface. With perpendicular orientation, you have the seam across the whole width of the ball but it only comes around twice every revolution.
djnelsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djnelsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

Two possibilities:
1) the seam does have a big impact on spin AND it really doesn't matter much what orientation it has. I could how this could be possible. With parallel orientation you have a seam against the air through 360 degrees of spin and at the fastest moving surface. With perpendicular orientation, you have the seam across the whole width of the ball but it only comes around twice every revolution.

And those two scenarios effect spin the same way? What about every other possible orientation of the seam? They all effect spin in the same way? Again, hard to believe.

Watch a really good player practicing multiball heavy topspins.  The consistency is amazing. I just don't see how this would be possible if the seam effected spin, since of course the ball the ball isn't hit with the seam in the same orientation every time.

That leads me to conclude that the presence of the seam has little to no impact on spin.
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 4:26pm
Have you guys totally forgotten the ball is larger?, the answer to why it doesn't spin is quite obvious. There's no point looking under rocks for mystery seam theory

Edited by bluebucket - 05/29/2012 at 4:27pm
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by mercuur mercuur wrote:

If this makes the difference factories could simulate a seam in produktion by making the centrifugal angular momentums on produktion slightly different.
They produce these balls with two rotational axis at ninety degrees. If both rotations are the same the ball becomes pointsymmetric. Make the spin for one axis ten percent higher/loser then other the ball will be more line symmetric ; more similarity to a celluloidball with a seam or a frisbeering.
Then they can (or could, assuming Icontek,s idea and my thoughts on this make sense) tune these balls this way to more similarity with current balls or maybe even improve current balls for this with sort of an ideal weight distribution.
Current balls are plane symmetric but not line or point-symmetric for weightdistribution. New balls are and one way or other this will always make a difference for playfeel.

I think I understand what you are saying. Ermm
What fascinates me is your contention that the manufacturers will be able to 'tune' the ball to have different playing characteristics. 
What could be the unintended consequences?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 4:56pm

Originally posted by kickass kickass wrote:

With parallel orientation you have a seam against the air through 360 degrees of spin and at the fastest moving surface. With perpendicular orientation, you have the seam across the whole width of the ball but it only comes around twice every revolution.

And those two scenarios effect spin the same way? What about every other possible orientation of the seam? They all effect spin in the same way?

Not the same way. I'm guessing they even out. Total effect is parallel effct + perpendicular effect. You get less of one as you get more of the other.
kickass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 5:02pm
btw the 2nd possibility which I was going to say was
2) the seam doesn't have a big impact but size does. All the lesser spin effect is due to the slightly bigger size.
gweipwu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gweipwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 6:06pm
The seam, the material difference (contribute the ball surface difference), the roundness and the size difference all take account.
Thanks for the review!
ping pong amateur,...

BTY Viscaria FL

H3 FH, T64 BH,

My feedback link:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84832&title=feedback-gweipwu
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 6:28pm
What possible effect could the stitchings on a basketball have or the valve on a volleyball ? This is hard to imagine but it,s sure that it has effect. A seam for a tt-ball may have not much weight but a ball doesn,t have much weight either. Then see it in proportions with the stitching and valve and different balls it,s not that hard to imagine it must have some effect.

Also, if I,m not mistaken, for fysics the distance to the spinning axis counts as squared for angular momentum. The effect from the seam could also be increased then by making the ball bigger.
There is not a polyball of different size to compare with. A poly ball with 38 or 40 mm could have lesser difference then with celluloid balls.

Topspin is not really applying spin it,s more applying angular momentum.  Spin is only a trusty meassure for trajektory and behaviour when the ball is kept or assumed as a constant for weight and size. Ittf takes good care for not keeping it a constant. 

Edited by mercuur - 05/29/2012 at 6:28pm

mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 6:11am
Difference with spin and angular momentum is that spin (rotations/sec) is the same for every part of the ball. Angular momentum for a ball as a whole is a mediated value for the celluloid.

To explain this : If for a sidespin serve the marking is at the top the marking could be seen from above spinning but staying at same position. Contact the ball on top for a powerfull brushloop can be a good choice to return such a serve because the angular momentum for the celluloid at the top is far less then for the front of the ball, where the equator for the spin would be contacted.
With a seam at the equator this difference is even bigger.

So thinking in terms of angular momentum can be better for tabletennis. Offcourse I can just as well say that the ball has more spin at the equator. Then I would just use the term spin as just an other word for angular momentum. That,s a bit off from fysics standard terms (not necessaly a problem).

For fysics spin is rotations to time ratio  as far as I know and no matter where a ball is contacted or viewd this is the same for every part of it.
I think even most tabletennisplayers think of spin as rotations to time.

When they would make these balls with different frequencies for the two spindles (one spindle+mold does sort of a screw with salto from other spindle) the result could at least be a more fun/exciting ball to play with.
Too much symmetrie always tends to make things boring.

Edited by mercuur - 05/30/2012 at 6:13am

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by ttcyfi ttcyfi wrote:

I have a feeling that if the new balls end up having such a radical infleunce on regular playing habits (spin, curve etc.), the professional players themselves will take up issue with this. Banning speed glue is one thing- the game wasn't altered too much and many players did not speed glue. But this reverts years of training. Players will take up issue with this and if enough professional players say something, then it's not like they will defact to the regular balls but they will be forced to make changes.

No, even this is not true.  First, nearly every professional player speed glued and they were very very unhappy about the change, and they did take it up.  It did no good.

I think it is certainly worth asking the question as to who benefits financially from this.  Always follow the money.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 11:10am

William Henzell did a pretty nice review of the new balls as well:

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 11:34am
Igor is pulling everyone's lazy legs and laughing hiz azz off.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 1:46pm
@haggisv

JEVELRY SCALES.

Digital electronic scales reading to 0.01gramme is a must for each table tennis products trader.
A great help to disclose if the balls you're to purchase being non-standard/fake ones. .

You can found a vast selection of the scales at cheap price under US$15 on the AliExpress marketplace.
Just type in a search word of "jewelry scales".
http://aliexpress.com

Happy trading.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

We are entering a whole new era of TT with this ball, and if you are a novice it won't matter, everyone else is gonna hate it.

40mm ball was used in 2000 and you had time to adjust to the next olympics and the new ball will be used in 2014 so 2 years left to play 2016 olympics? its gonna be a disaster
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 5:35pm
why disaster? In 2016 everybody will have had the same time (not) to adjust for it.
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

William Henzell did a pretty nice review of the new balls as well:

This is why I hate Shahara, he needs to be impeached, and be put on trial for the atrocities he's unleashed over the years on the table tennis community in general, especially with all sorts of mandatory changes.

Nice review btw Will, thanks for the insight on just how bad this new ball is.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

why disaster? In 2016 everybody will have had the same time (not) to adjust for it.

only 2 years to prepare to 2016 olympics games
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

only 2 years to prepare to 2016 olympics games

Yep, and 2 years is not a lot of time.
Consider that Qualifications start 1 year (or more) before Olympic games.
And high possiblities of new rubbers/equipments for the new balls.

I think what Arg0 is saying is that all the "pros" have an equal/fair chance of adapting in this limited time frame.

But imo, it is still not fair.
If world number 1, 2 and 3 takes longer than adapt, then these "champions" are loosers.
Or
If Timo Bolls, Dimitrij, and other German, Japanese, Korean juniors are slow to adapt, they will become loosers too.
What happens if the Non-Chinese all because victims and the Chinese all become beneficiaries?

So imo Olypmics 2016 is not necessary a competition for Best TT players, but rather competition to the ones that can adapt and master the new ball/equipment. The fastest one is the winner.

Edited by ZApenholder - 05/31/2012 at 9:44pm
GoldenDragoon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenDragoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2012 at 12:59am
I think before everyone gets carried away about the new ball there are two important things to remember...

1. As far as I am aware all the new balls floating around are samples. There are no mass produced balls yet which indicates that the ball is still being developed. Until we get mass produced versions you won't know excatly what the new ball will be like to play with.

2. Regardless of the diffeerences present in the new ball, table tennis will remain to be a game where one player faces another (or pair vs pair) and the better player on the day will win. This is no different to other factors that influence the game such as extreme temps, high humidity (makes looping very hard), lots of noise or other external factors. Both players have the same opportunities. To complain that the new ball has ruined your game is like a garage player being smashed by ma long and the saying (I would beat him if I trained more).
Blade: Nexy Spartacus FL 84g
FH: Evolution FX-P Max Blk
BH: Evolution EL-P 1.9 Red
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic