Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

H3 NEO: What degree hardness do you prefer ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: H3 NEO: What degree hardness do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [7.55%]
8 [15.09%]
23 [43.40%]
12 [22.64%]
6 [11.32%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H3 NEO: What degree hardness do you prefer ?
    Posted: 05/29/2012 at 11:40am
We need to gauge what degree hardness you like your Hurricane 3 NEO to be. Thanks.

Edited by razortt - 05/29/2012 at 11:41am
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
Sponsored Links

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 11:50am
The softer the H3, the easier it is to use for mortals.

My favorite sheets of H3 Neo Provincial from TTNPP and Prott.cc were 38.

If you're not going to tune and glue for softness, softer is provides better dwell and control.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 12:22pm
40 when tuned, it become softer. 39 when tuned is not hard enough for forehand.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 6:04pm
Without tuning, I like 37 degrees. With tuning, I like 39 degrees, because it gets softer with tuning.
Nittaku Resound
FH: Joola Timeless
BH: Joola Timeless
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 6:50pm
39 deg, is just right for me
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 8:36pm
i think i posted wrong.. i though we were talkign about h3 prov for a sec.

i only had one h3 neo ( prov) and im prety sure it was 40. and i liked it alot
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 8:43pm
I'm not so sure the marking on the commercial sheets is actually meaningful... I had a 37deg and 39deg sheet, and the 37deg was clearly harder....which makes you wonder....
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 11:02pm
I can get by 40, sometimes 41 when I feel I am in good shape to handle it
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
jinlai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 11:12pm
The problem we faced regarding hardness of sponge is that all manufacturers DO NOT follow any  guideline. I wonder why ITTF do not enforce this ruling as this will easy the consumer to pick a rubber of their choice.
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2012 at 11:41pm
The reason is: there is no standard to test the hardness of such a thin and soft piece of rubber, all the current measurement systems (Shore for rubbers mostly) are applied on a thick brick of rubber and at the level of TT rubbers(usually a lot softer than sealing rings or washers) they are not very precise. 
Even within the same brick of rubber after cutting different pieces' hardness will also vary because of the inconsistency inside. 
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 8:16am
I don't think you can get Commercial H3 with softer than 39 deg.  Let me know if anyone knows where to get 38 deg Commercial.
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 11:49am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I don't think you can get Commercial H3 with softer than 39 deg.  Let me know if anyone knows where to get 38 deg Commercial.

Its possible to get the 38degree as long as there's enough demand for it. Thats why we are conducting the poll to see what customers like. Thanks.
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by razortt razortt wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Its possible to get the 38degree as long as there's enough demand for it. Thats why we are conducting the poll to see what customers like. Thanks.

If you can make it happen, then I would suggest you do, as you maybe the only one who can provide 38 deg commercial H3.  Most of people are playing with commercial, and they will not know how much more control they can get with a 38 deg, and the loss on spin and speed is insignificant compare to 39 deg.  Those who play with provincial H3, usually tune, so they want a harder sponge, but it does not mean they do not appreciate the 38 deg.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by mhnh007 - 05/30/2012 at 2:56pm
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:26pm
If you can get 38 commercial H3, I will buy many sheets.
Nittaku Resound
gweipwu View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gweipwu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:41pm
If I have a chance to meet DHS management I will tell them that H3 is so popular and it deserves a good engineering and manufactuing team to take care of it.

Edited by gweipwu - 05/30/2012 at 4:36pm
ping pong amateur,...

BTY Viscaria FL

H3 FH, T64 BH,

My feedback link:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84832&title=feedback-gweipwu
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 2:44pm
We are still waiting on DHS to make a glue-effect sponge version of the H3, that never needs tuning.
Nittaku Resound
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I'm not so sure the marking on the commercial sheets is actually meaningful... I had a 37deg and 39deg sheet, and the 37deg was clearly harder....which makes you wonder....

If you open a 40 d H and leave it for two or three weeks to breathe, it will become much softer, probably by 4 or 5 degrees. So I wonder what is the real gauge hardness of a Hurricane.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

If you open a 40 d H and leave it for two or three weeks to breathe, it will become much softer, probably by 4 or 5 degrees. So I wonder what is the real gauge hardness of a Hurricane.

Usually pre-tuned rubber gets harder after the tuning is gone.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 4:50pm
41 heavily tuned
40 tuned
38-39 otherwise...depending on the blade i use
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 7:13pm

For Hurricane, we normally carry 39 degree as well. What degree is preferred ? Maybe we will do another poll on just regular H3.
Feedback

fastpaddle.com
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 7:55pm
Considering the inconsistancies with the DHS hardness marking, and the lack of any guidelines or references, perhaps you can ask DHS just to send you the stickers with a range of hardness markings, so that you can put them on yourself before you send them to the customers. The placebo effect alone will probably satisfy most hurricane fans, as they're very used to variations between one sheet and another. LOL
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 10:25pm

Considering the inconsistancies with the DHS hardness marking, and the lack of any guidelines or references, perhaps you can ask DHS just to send you the stickers with a range of hardness markings, so that you can put them on yourself before you send them to the customers. The placebo effect alone will probably satisfy most hurricane fans, as they're very used to variations between one sheet and another. LOL

That's why get the genuine National Version, the thickness and hardness are laser marked on the sponge Wink
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

We are still waiting on DHS to make a glue-effect sponge version of the H3, that never needs tuning.

Tuning H3 is a joy, you'll be amazed when it plays totally different and better after tuning.
Tuning with Dianchi needs 3 layers for the new rubbers, which is too much.
I prefer tuning it with pararfin oil mixed with baby oil, wait for 3 days.
Then put Parafin oil on the topsheet.
It has permanent effect which is fast enough on Viscaria for me.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 11:24pm

This topic deserves a thread too.  I have H3 #19 which is supposed to be 36 degree sponge but Cole Ely says it is much harder than IQUL SV or other 35 degree sponges.  I think the degree ratings are almost worthless except that lower ratings should be softer and higher ratings should be harder.

My H3 Neo came from fastpaddle.com so it 39 degree.  I don't know what hardness I prefer since  have only played with the 39 degree sponge so I didn't vote.  39 degree sponge seems OK but I prefer H2 Neo much more than H3 Neo even though I think the H2 Neo has the same 39 degree sponge.

I usually don't care too much about the hardness.  I can play with soft 35 degree sponge or hard stuff like SST Pro Team.  Usually I play with what I think is 35 or 36 degree rubber.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 6:53am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

Tuning H3 is a joy, you'll be amazed when it plays totally different and better after tuning.
Tuning with Dianchi needs 3 layers for the new rubbers, which is too much.
I prefer tuning it with pararfin oil mixed with baby oil, wait for 3 days.
Then put Parafin oil on the topsheet.
It has permanent effect which is fast enough on Viscaria for me.

What I think is interesting about H3 is that, every once in a while I seem to achieve a "permanent" tune.

And by tune, I don't necessarily mean a "chemical click" - but rather, a physical stretch that increases overall speed and gives the rubber a set of middle gears (for passive blocking and countering). At the same time, the sponge is softened, so even though the rubber is faster on many shots, it's still more forgiving than stock H3 at the right times (when caught out of position).

I say that because I have a sheet of blue sponge h3 from TTNPP that is several months past the first and only super-prime/tune, and it still plays better (more forgiving, still good power and spin, still decent short game) than most of the $30-50 H3 variants I've purchased that I just water glued.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 11:19am
My choise it's 39 degree without tunning...but I didn't find anymore 2,10 mm...for me it was perfect...now only 2,15 mm available on the market...I really doubt that com ver it's available genuine in 37,38 degree...
Viscaria, FL

T05 hard, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05 hard, 2,1 mm, red, bh.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

What I think is interesting about H3 is that, every once in a while I seem to achieve a "permanent" tune.

And by tune, I don't necessarily mean a "chemical click" - but rather, a physical stretch that increases overall speed and gives the rubber a set of middle gears (for passive blocking and countering). At the same time, the sponge is softened, so even though the rubber is faster on many shots, it's still more forgiving than stock H3 at the right times (when caught out of position).

I say that because I have a sheet of blue sponge h3 from TTNPP that is several months past the first and only super-prime/tune, and it still plays better (more forgiving, still good power and spin, still decent short game) than most of the $30-50 H3 variants I've purchased that I just water glued.

The most important thing about tuning H3 is to make it block and smash better.
Without tuning needs time to break in and I have no patience to wait.
With Parafin Oil and Baby oil, I can directly play as if it's break in.
I'll do that for all new H3 rubber in the future.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 12:52pm

The normal thickness is 2.2mm, so would you like to see rubbers offered in 2.15 or 2.1mm  for H3 and H3NEO ?

Feedback

fastpaddle.com
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 1:41pm
Can one really tell the difference between 2.1, 2.15 and 2.2mm?  I bet the quality control is not that good.  If 2.2mm is standard I would ask for 2mm and 1.8mm for BH use.  When the sponge is firm it isn't necessary for the sponge to be so thick to keep from "bottoming out".  Thinner sponge reduces the weight just a little.  The same goes for H2 Neo.  
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 3:01pm
My vote is for 38 degrees definitely.  Just like the old Cream MRS before they made it brick hard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic