Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joola Timeless Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Timeless Review
    Posted: 05/30/2012 at 8:30am

rubber: Joola Timeless anti spin red
thickness: 1.9mm
sponge hardness: super, ultra, mega soft and mushy sponge. Joola has it for 40 degrees. on a DHS scale i think it its in the 20's
size: 179x180mm
weight uncut: 32-33gms
test blade: yasaka galaxya

finally got the chance it for a few days. this joola timeless antispin rubber has been provided by Joola Germany through greenpaddle.com. Like Haggisv said, it was really a challenge testing this rubber because im not an anti spin user though i can use it properl;y its unlike any other anti spin i have used before. I have used the Yasaka Anti Power, RITC 804 and Butterfly Super Anti spin before and these will be the anti spins im gonna use for comparison.

the sponge is the mushiest sponge for a table tennis rubber i have tried. its as soft as a dishwashing sponge, very light at 34 grams uncut due to less density. the topsheet is surprisingly hard. a typical topsheet has a pimple structure that deforms when you are pressing the topsheet, the joola timeless topsheet is a bit hard and resists deforming.  i will explain later the effects of this design as i go further. also the rubber as a whole is slower in returning to its original form when you press your fingers against it indicating again it has a very very soft sponge. It has a way, way softer sponge than the 804, antipower and super anti.

the topsheet with its crisscross design or x like individual design (i cant think of any other description) at first look seems like a pure gimmick but upon testing and playing against it gave me a different judgement. The Timeless has a slight grip. Not as grippy RITC 804 antispin but grippier than the Yasaka Anti Power or Butterfly Super Anti. 

Pros:

chopping - one of the 2 main strengths of the timeless. i only know basic chopping in the backhand and can only return 2-3 successive loops in a row so i opted to let good choppers use the timeless. the first one who is my fellow coach, who is more like a 2300 US rated player, and is a well known chopper tried chopping it while being glued to an off- blade and because of the ultra slow speed of the timeless can chop looped balls well with it. It chops like an LP, low spinny chops against topspin. other players who have tried this are like 1700-1900 equivalent players and they had fun using it against players who said that has a unique effect on the ball. you need to really press on the ball towards the sponge to chop better. due to its very slow speed light brushes away from the table when chopping goes to the net.

deception and variation - deception is very high. from knuckle balls to high underspin balls when chopping or blocking. the timeless antispin even has a wobble effect on the ball. maybe this is the purpose of the crisscross design weave pattern on the topsheet that it gives good variation towards incoming spin. against lower level intermediate players, this would be hard to play against with. 

dropshots - due to its very slow speed, dropshots are a way in the park. the hard topsheet absorbs the force on the ball coupled with the very soft sponge makes the dropsheet very controllable.

blocking - both a good and bad characteristic of the rubber. its good because as what i have stated previously the hard pimples on the topsheet and the soft sponge make hard topspins easier to block. the varied effects of knuckle and diff. levels of underspin helps it very difficult to play against.

Cons:

price - let me be honest here. at 125 USD this is the most expensive rubber in the world and 70% of people who play table tennis cannot afford this rubber. Joola explained to me that it is due to the amount they have spent on making the rubber mold and i believe them. I saw an episode one time in the national geographic channel's megafactories: lego, that everytime they come up with a new concept on their designs they use existing metal molds for their plastic parts to produce them. each metal mold when made costs hundreds of thousands of euros. the design on the topsheet playing surface i think makes it difficult to make into a mold.

fragility of the sponge - as what others have said you need choose a good blade for this or dare suffer of sponge damage when you remove it and transfer it to another blade. im using the yasaka galaxya and its an off- blade. so far so good. Other people have suggested to use a stiffer blade and I agree because it makes passive blocks a lil faster. If you dont transfer the rubber to another blade then i think this rubber will last for some time though i need to wait and see first.

blocking - its both a good and a bad side of this rubber. i have difficulty with passive blocks due to the softness of the sponge and the ball returns really slow. also you have to make the bat angle a lil more open on medium power shots. its hard to do blocking with a 60-70 degree angle because it goes to the net. the solution as i have found out was to push block instead of just a passive block. Against stronger shots blocking is not a problem. Away, from the table its best at chopping. blocking with it is a bit difficult. Its too slow that instead of blocking mid distance from the table, you need to hit the ball hard for it to return properly over the net.

not for beginners - i think a player who is rated at least 1700 should use this only in order to fully utilize its strength and cover its weaknesses. it takes a bit of time and skill to adjust and having the right blade angle when using this.

Conclusion:

a radical design and a mix of effects on an anti spin rubber. if not for its hefty price a lot of people would buy this because its a very good anti spin rubber. if you will ask me if its worth it ill just say if i have the money why not! rated as 8/10 for its performance but 6/10 for its price. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 9:02am
Just look at that weirdness.  Is it even made from rubber?
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 9:20am
look forward to the review
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 9:46am
That should be a challenging test for your Yogi, as I didn't think you were an anti player.Wink
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 12:44pm
Joola sponsors Amelie Sonja, who is probably the best anti-spin player in the world - and she doesn't even use this rubber.  To me the debate on whether or not this is worth the price ends there.

But I'd still like to hear your thoughts.

Edited by roar - 05/30/2012 at 12:44pm
http://i.imgur.com/wqnxV.gif
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 12:47pm
Looks like an Anti/pips topsheet.

How is this surface legal??  can't wait for the next gen.

Edited by jt99sf - 05/30/2012 at 1:23pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 12:47pm
the topsheet of this rubber is out of this world
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I was wondering the same thing...is this really legal?
strange...
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by emihet emihet wrote:

Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I was wondering the same thing...is this really legal?
strange...

I think its a money issue, as long as they pay the fees. Wink
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 6:32pm
New ITTF equipment ruling:  all anti-spin topsheets must meet a minimum checkered surface level of 1.1 in order to force players to spend more money on new equipment conform with new standards.

LOL

Edited by roar - 05/30/2012 at 6:47pm
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

That should be a challenging test for your Yogi, as I didn't think you were an anti player.Wink

yes it is very hard haggisv. though i have used anti spins like ritc 804 & yasaka anti power before because i have practiced with them in order to teach people how to play against them. i may have to wait until a week to post my thoughts on this and also a video using it. 

to all people who are wondering if this is legal yes it legal and its on the official racket covering list of the ITTF. yes its very expensive ad its the most expensive rubber in the market now and its not even a normal inverted grippy rubber but what do we know maybe this will be start of something new to table tennis. our sport evolves from time to time with the introduction of new materials. maybe this would give rise to some other concepts in the future, we will soon know
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 8:24pm
Just a warning, this rubber is very fragile, so there is a high risk of damage if you plan to use it on more than one blade. A stiffer blades seems the most effective from the feedback I've seen.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 8:37pm
yes its very fragile. i examined the parts of the rubber not used in the blade and its very soft! im using it in my yasaka galaxya blade off minus but medium stiffness only. dunno if this can be an attacking anti like anti-power because the pimples in the topsheet are a bit hard and doesnt deform that easily compared to normal topsheets. 

manofan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by roar roar wrote:

Joola sponsors Amelie Sonja, who is probably the best anti-spin player in the world - and she doesn't even use this rubber.  To me the debate on whether or not this is worth the price ends there.

I Dont Think Like that, Because there are many diferent versions of anti, maybe just dont fit the style of amys play. Amy attacks a lot and block a lot too. Looks like Timeless is a good rubber for passive block, choop block and have a good reversal.
If work like that , BTY Rubbers would be sh*t to FH beacuse Z. JiKe dont use tenergy on the FH and is sponsored by bty. Wink
roar View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by manofan manofan wrote:

I Dont Think Like that, Because there are many diferent versions of anti, maybe just dont fit the style of amys play. Amy attacks a lot and block a lot too. Looks like Timeless is a good rubber for passive block, choop block and have a good reversal.
If work like that , BTY Rubbers would be sh*t to FH beacuse Z. JiKe dont use tenergy on the FH and is sponsored by bty. Wink

Poor analogy - and ZJK is using tenergy on his backhand.
Nagatito View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagatito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 11:45pm
But Timo Joo and Mizutani use tenergy on FH its just that the chinese prefer chinese for FH because all of them use a kind of tenergy on BH
Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: T05
BH: Roundell
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2012 at 11:56pm
The design of Joola Timeless makes sense. A smooth surface would provide more friction so a slightly uneven surface makes sense as it should reduce friction.  A 1.9mm sponge should absorb lots of energy from a top spin loop.  I am not about to spend $120-$130 to find out though.  The fact that Timeless is fragile turns me off.
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 12:04am
"Timeless" doesn't mean nothing when it comes to how fragile it is...

The surface looks like LGL's banned rubber only more flattened
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 7:20am

Reminder:
Except for fanboyism, the specific equipment used by the best players in the world is almost completely irrelevant to casual and most club and league players.

The best equipment for people who train thousands of hours a year may not be best for people who train 10s of hours a year.

The best example of this idea is the use of low-friction LP before the ITTF's ban. These rubbers could be devastating in the US1300-1800 range of play and very useful for a range of close to the table blocking styles. However, at the world class level at that time, the use of low-friction LP was almost nonexistent.  The lack of professionals using low-friction LP meant little to the players who got the best match results from those rubbers. Companies like Dr. Neubauer and Hallmark made loads of money from the casual to club players where they found the most traction/sales/use.

Similarly, Timeless may suit a range of players who are not world class. And these less than professional players make up the bulk of people who actually pay for rubber.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
manofan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Nagatito Nagatito wrote:

But Timo Joo and Mizutani use tenergy on FH its just that the chinese prefer chinese for FH because all of them use a kind of tenergy on BH

Thats the Point, He Compared the best in the world with anti , Timo and Jun isent the Best hahahha
And i said just like that, she dont like it, dosent mean that isnt good.

And why poor analogy, if i said FH and not BH, he uses it as back hand so its just good for backhand?
Both of you prove my argument with the same thing as i said...Wink
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 11:03am
updated with review

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 1:40pm
where's the review yogi?  Looking forward to reading your review.  It also sounds like you better put it on a blade you're going to stick with or else you will probably damage the rubber when removing it.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 2:01pm
my bad yogi...I guess you just updated your original post.  Thanks
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

where's the review yogi?  Looking forward to reading your review.  It also sounds like you better put it on a blade you're going to stick with or else you will probably damage the rubber when removing it.

yup! that's my point in my review and also other people in the forum who have tested it. it would last for some time if you don't remove it from that blade you have originally glued it into.

liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 7:52pm
very nice review Yogi, thanks for the closeup shots of the x topsheet design, very unconventional and radical indeed.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2012 at 8:06pm
liulin, thanks. if only i can remove it from my blade without damaging the sponge i would be willing to share it to other members of the forum for testing

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 10:41am
Yogi...maybe you can just send the blade with the rubber to other players for testing.  I have about 5 players at our club that use anti and they are 1900 - 2200.  2 of them are choppers/loopers, and 2 of them are close to the table blockers/hitters.  Is the rubber better suited for chopping, or would it work well for blockers too?
Thanks
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 1:38pm
What's interesting to me is that waffle pattern.

I wonder if the original mold was for an inverted attacking rubber and then further testing yielded less than optimal results (resulting in the re-use of the mold as that for an anti rubber).

I am speculating because one of the most noticeable "failures" of modern rubbers is to duplicate the way that the topsheet seems to "suck inward toward the blade" along the pimple spacing on a boosted or speed glued sheet.

I'm guessing that the mechanism of this physical change assume that the visible pattern allows less surface area contact on brushes (and greater overall friction?) while allowing greater surface area contact on harder hits (less spin sensitivity)?

If I understand the physics at play well enough, it would make sense why those same properties would be desirable for Anti play as well.

Here's an example of a tuned rubber (for the visible pips):

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Yogi...maybe you can just send the blade with the rubber to other players for testing.  I have about 5 players at our club that use anti and they are 1900 - 2200.  2 of them are choppers/loopers, and 2 of them are close to the table blockers/hitters.  Is the rubber better suited for chopping, or would it work well for blockers too?
Thanks

i have removed the timeless successfully in my blade. i used wbg for the timeless even though i hated it because rubber cement in this situation would be harder to remove in the sponge. i dont think i can send it in the states since a lot of players here are interested in the timeless. its a bit difficult to block at first but when you get the hang of blocking with it it really disturbs your opponents timing especially when there is a rally and u suddenly block with it and the ball goes really slow with wobbling effects. also when u block with the timeless its gives you an opening to counter once the ball comes back. it chops really well though its easier to develop your chops in the timeless than blocking with it but if you master both its difficult to play against with

icontek, i have yet to understand the science of this anti. joola told me that their purpose was to create some sort of hybrid effect for the timeless (with anti spin and long pips effect)

AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2012 at 10:15am
thanks for the info yogi.  Have you tried Nightmare?  I've been reading some good things about that rubber. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic